• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A -Fox Advice/Questions Topic-

eternisedDragon

Smash Cadet
@Apasher:
First off: That hacks music - it´s so good and that trollface randal - I´m dying over here xD. To return the favour:
- Use grab more often, like way more often.
- Don´t just attack where they are currently standing - they will retreat and retaliate.
- Try the mix-up: "shield approache" (running up to your opponent and shield // of course you still got to space it right) - it does work really well vs. most Marths and it is a handy tool in the Jiggs match-up, if not the key to win against Jiggs.
- you are still messing up some fastfalls and l-cancels - work on that
- try dashdancing after l-canceling like: -> jump -> nair -ff- l-cancel -> dash dace like this: -------------> <-- -----------> <-- -----> <------ ------>
- learn to edge-guard Marth, i.e.: If you are short on time and can´t go for the ledge to invincible shine-kill Marth try the safe Marth-killer and if he lands on stage perform an up-air that only hits with the strong hit-box - which is actually easy to learn.
-You are doublejumoing to often reduce that by wavelanding isntead.
- Use empty-jumps to grab
-Abuse wavedashing out of shield more - it really does come in handy.

That should be enough advice for starters.

Edit:
-------
@Apasher:
If marth grabs you at low percent, expect him to back-throw/ forward-throw f-smash you as well. If he´s caught you on the edge !!! DI far away !!!- otherwise their f-throw to downtilt to edgeguard afterwards will eat you.

@boards: I need help in the ditto. I know Fox truely shines at his grabgame vs spacies (like all characters), but when´s the time to nair approache instead of drill-approaching. Is overshooting a good strategie/mix-up; basically what´s the current metagame in the ditto while not pointing out how incredible his grab-game i, since I know that already.
Is it common to almost always grab someone after/in the meantime of their landing lag or is there a better option to punish them or is it not humanly possible to punish fox after they miss a Nair or something. Is running shine wavedash to jab reset a typical approache?

Jesus aka jman

Smash Cadet
So I have a question guys

What's the % that falco can't CC foxs nair any more ??

I totally forgot lol

Also how do I get the timeing for wave land out my double shine

And y is shinning out my shield so ****ing hard now I use I be able to do it like nothing smh

Lovage

Smash Hero
So I have a question guys

What's the % that falco can't CC foxs nair any more ??

I totally forgot lol

Also how do I get the timeing for wave land out my double shine

And y is shinning out my shield so ****ing hard now I use I be able to do it like nothing smh

the biggest killer is when you hit with weak nair by accident because then they can CC to like 80 or sum ****

for strong nair it should be like 45-50.

--

as for wavelanding out of double shine like falco players do nowadays, i think it's too hard with fox unless your name is silent wolf

Bones0

Smash Legend
I thought he was just talking about Jman's shines in general. lol

If by Jman shines you mean uthrow doubleshine, then yeah, you can Superman SDI to avoid the second shine.

Superman DI = Up and away

I just made that up.

Bones0

Smash Legend
Is it possible to delay the fast fall on fair to only connect with the first hit and if so is it worth learning how to do?

Of course you can single hit fair, but it's mainly based on how soon or late you input the fair itself. If Fox's is like Falco's, an immediately fair OoS provides a 2 vs. 3-hit mixup based entirely on if you FF. So you can do rising fair hit #1, FF hit #2, or with no FF it will hit 1 while rising, 2 at the peak, and 3 as you fall. I'm pretty sure the shield stun on fair's hits are so awful it doesn't even legitimately link safely into shine. If anyone could check that, it'd be helpful.

Jesus aka jman

Smash Cadet
Idk where those vids r to be real lol I really do t watch vids of myself to be real

And I thought a jman shine sad b-throw shine and u can deff avoid that as well

unknown522

Some guy
Yeah b-throw -> shine is what was called the Jman shine

Edit: watching old matches of yourself can have its uses; you can see things that you would do differently now, and also maybe learn things that you may not do anymor that you used to do. It's like going back to basics.

Super

Smash Apprentice
Hi Fox boards,

What the best way to combat Peach float camping? And playing vs Peach in general. I only know the basics, like not CC, waveshine combos, etc.

Tarv

Smash Journeyman
Of course you can single hit fair, but it's mainly based on how soon or late you input the fair itself. If Fox's is like Falco's, an immediately fair OoS provides a 2 vs. 3-hit mixup based entirely on if you FF. So you can do rising fair hit #1, FF hit #2, or with no FF it will hit 1 while rising, 2 at the peak, and 3 as you fall. I'm pretty sure the shield stun on fair's hits are so awful it doesn't even legitimately link safely into shine. If anyone could check that, it'd be helpful.

Thank you Bones

Jim Morrison

Smash Authority
Hi Fox boards,

What the best way to combat Peach float camping? And playing vs Peach in general. I only know the basics, like not CC, waveshine combos, etc.
Laser, wait for her to come down. Some lower level Peach's float at a bad height where you can easily just run in and N-air, give that a try. Otherwise spam full jump lasers and wait for her. She can't camp you, you're the one who has projectiles.

Dark Lady

A Red Witch
I'm sad. I can only waveshine straight down every 20 frames at my fastest. :( Anyone got any tips to improve waveshining? I just wanna make my fingers quicker, probably not gonna main Fox though.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
every 20 frames is near perfect.
takes 4 frames to be able to jc
3 frames for jump squat
10 frames of landing of wd

if you're right, you're only slow by 3 frames. just tighten it up a bit

Dark Lady

A Red Witch
every 20 frames is near perfect.
takes 4 frames to be able to jc
3 frames for jump squat
10 frames of landing of wd

if you're right, you're only slow by 3 frames. just tighten it up a bit
I think i'm right... I calculate frames by Beats per minute.
1 beat in 60 bpm is 60 frames (Or one second). I multiplied that by 3 to get 180 BPM (20 frames or 1/3 a second) And just waveshined to a metronome.

Bones0

Smash Legend
I think i'm right... I calculate frames by Beats per minute.
1 beat in 60 bpm is 60 frames (Or one second). I multiplied that by 3 to get 180 BPM (20 frames or 1/3 a second) And just waveshined to a metronome.
That's a really cool idea. I might give this a try for a whole slew of things just to see where my average inputs are at and where I can tighten them up.

Just be careful about the difference between waveshines on thin air as opposed to an opponent's shield/body.

Jim Morrison

Smash Authority
Holy **** Unknown was definitely in the zone

That set vs Hax was beautiful, your shield pressure UNNGGG.
I noticed that you roll actually very often vs Hax, and it works out well. Is this something you do on purpose and if so, why does this work? I see you rolling into him and getting him with a shine more than it -should- work.
And huge props to the comeback 1st match 2nd set after the suicide, can't believe you got off 3 stocks with that last one, most would have just given up there.

I'd also like to hear your own thoughts on that set, if you don't mind sharing those.

D

Deleted member

How do you stay consistent with this character?

think more, punch fewer buttons. never play in auto-pilot, make the conscious decision to establish good stage positioning and be willing to forego combos to maintain good position on the opponent. avoid tactics that are uncertain or rely on your opponent to mess up. stick to basic stuff that always works and develop the core of your game on the fundamentals rather than dedicating too much time to detail work. the detail work will come later after you've established the fundamentals anyway, but if you don't know what is good and why, all the tech skill and gimmicks in the world won't help you.

Jim Morrison

Smash Authority
After 3 years of Fox I still SD roughly every match. But it feels so rewarding to play Fox, so you keep playing him. If you mean consistent as in get more wins, the easy answer is to just get good play more and think more about what you're doing. Also, watch videos, a lot of them. You can't get better at this game by just playing, you need to learn how to watch the game (which translates into watching your opponent carefully), which is why you watch videos.

Phonz

Smash Cadet
hey guys i decided to switch over to playing fox and i just wanted to know what are some things that i should improve in my game to become a better fox practice. I know about waveshine, SHFFLing, and up smash but is there anything else important i need to work on. If it helps i used to main samus.

Top Bottom