• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A -Fox Advice/Questions Topic-

Okay, this is super old and I have read it shouldn't work, but I am not understanding how to avoid a follow-up from falco's Dthrow. I heard random things like crouch cancel it or DI away, but how are you suppose to crouch cancel a grab? I do not understand that at all.

I have been trying to DI away. I always interpreted this as hold control stick left or right whichever direction falco is facing, and I hold down as well to get a shine out, I still get shined before I can get a shine out. Or I end up getting jabbed for I can get a shine out.

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium
Fox can't tech Falco's downthrow (or if he can, the timing is impossible).

I think hard DI away + mash shine gets you out (at the least, hard DI away always works for me).

Bones0

Smash Legend
You have to tech early with Jiggs because she is light and gets thrown extremely quickly. Just treat it as if it were a jab (I think buffer roll is the simplest solution, but you may get some success with shining/usmashing out or something).

Okay. So if the falco decides to dthrow -> ftilt me at like 60% or higher I cannot do anything except tech in place after getting hit by ftilt. Odd.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Falcon vs Falco on BF. Falco was recovering on the right. Falcon jumps off with an edgeguard (i think his intention was DJ back uair). Falco sideb'd and hit falcon, falcon got hit up and into the center of the stage as if it were fox's sideb. Ask ORLY, it was his falcon.

Prince_Abu

Smash Lord
yo foxes wats the best way to fall down from the air when an enemy fox is under u

cus dair doesnt work very well

Bones0

Smash Legend
I tried learning to buffer C-stick jumps for Marth's fthrow fair chain, but I found it's not helpful for the timing. With Fox, you have a 3 frame window of error to let go of the C-stick so that you don't FH. So if you have to know when the timing for when you can jump within 3 frames, at most you're going to do it 2 frames sooner than pressing Y or X.

tl;dr
Since with Fox you're probably going to be FHing it is usable, but don't expect it to help much more than just knowing the timing.

@Strongbad
Clawing would only help if you can't jump before Fox's throw animation finishes...

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
I tried learning to buffer C-stick jumps for Marth's fthrow fair chain, but I found it's not helpful for the timing. With Fox, you have a 3 frame window of error to let go of the C-stick so that you don't FH. So if you have to know when the timing for when you can jump within 3 frames, at most you're going to do it 2 frames sooner than pressing Y or X.

tl;dr
Since with Fox you're probably going to be FHing it is usable, but don't expect it to help much more than just knowing the timing.

@Strongbad
Clawing would only help if you can't jump before Fox's throw animation finishes...
It's for the dash -> Jump -> C-stick uair, not just jump.

knightpraetor

Smash Champion
confused as to what you're saying chillin. what's the advantage of using up to jump? I thought only the cstick buffered jumps.

Lovage

Smash Hero
he's saying you don't need to use the same jump button for every single action

you can use up for fast full hop + doublejumps, you can use Y for your running aerials

resourceful players can use these as shortcuts, cuz honestly some things are made easier by using the smarter jump button

voorhese

Smash Master
I now use X -> claw Y -> cstick for my upthrow to up air, so I can get people who DI my uprthrow well.

Why use Y for running aerials specifically lovage, just curious.

Top Bottom