• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A -Fox Advice/Questions Topic-

Falcinho

Smash Ace
Actually, the only way to get out of Marth's CG is:

in between 24-30%, no d.i. and shine. If the Marth tries to grab in between those percents, shine will beat it. It depends on Marth screwing up though, because he can simply pivot grab you to avoid the shine, or utilt you and re-grab at 30%.

The general rule, when it comes to escaping cging, is to not d.i. the throw. Seeing as almost all cgs require some sort of d.i. for a combo to work after the throw, it makes sense to just not d.i. the throw then smash d.i. the hit. Thats what I do anyways.
Ok let's leave the %s apart, i was just guessing =P

If you DI up and very slighty behind Marth can he pivot grab you without getting hit by your shine (even if you DI towards him again after you DIed the uthrow) ?
There is no Marth main in my region who uses pivot grabs to cg, so i don't know =/

E: and eggz u rock for hitting wit shineturnaround-bairs

Truth. Just wait for marth to do something, don't throw out attacks unless you know or are pretty sure they'll hit, lasers aside.

ArcNatural

Banned ( ∫x, δx Points)
And honestly for the CG, the easiest way out of the CG is to Smash DI the uptilts. It's not that hard, the CG is pretty automatic so you should know exactly when that uptilt is going to hit you. They can still tech chase follow it I think, maybe even dash attack to pop you back up. But usually it's good enough to get out of the cg if they continue to use Uptilt.

Da Shuffla

Smash Lord
Sorry, I'm kind of late on this, but, due to crouch canceling, is the shuffled Nair no longer a reliable lead in?

oldmankungfu

Smash Journeyman
In a house... in Miami,Fl Close to MD South Campus
can you actually make a combo playing a computer???? I dont think so cuz they hit you with exact timing and know exactly when your gonna do something...like a level 9 fox knows when to spike you when you're trying o recover......speaking of that how can you improve your timing to shine spike????

Da Shuffla

Smash Lord
can you actually make a combo playing a computer???? I dont think so cuz they hit you with exact timing and know exactly when your gonna do something...like a level 9 fox knows when to spike you when you're trying o recover......speaking of that how can you improve your timing to shine spike????
Depends on the character. Spacies practically hand you the stock if they do the up B. Spiking out of the illlusion/phantom is good, but you have to be ready to meteor cancel if Falco's hits you. I wouldn't recommend shine-spiking Peach or Samus, they're recoveries are too strong. For everyone else, face away from the edge, WD back, grab the edge and shine-spike when they are within range. That way, you hold invincibility for a bit.

Da Shuffla

Smash Lord
Shuffled Dair> waveshine > Usmash. So effective, and looks so amazing. That's for the kill. As far as the rest of the game goes, Waveshines into grabs work well, maybe go for some Uthrow to Uairs. With Link, you want to go for vertical kills. Such a pain to edgeguard.

Yeah, DON'T practice on lvl 9s. Only Lvl 1s. I can chainthrow a Lvl 9 Falco to 55%. I can drillshine infinite a Lvl 9 Link. They make you think you are better than you really are. They are like an opponent who refuses to learn. Any human will DI out of chains, even if they don't know what DI is.

Da Shuffla

Smash Lord
whats go about da multi-shine???? and is it more usefull wit falco or fox?
Look at the thread "PRs for JC shines" for more info. Falco's is harder for me than Fox's b/c you have to slow down. Falco's can be used for pillaring, while with Fox you are better off using a JC grab out of the shine. This is more useful for Fox b/c his grabs are more deadly.

Da Shuffla

Smash Lord
I have a question, is it just me or does Falco's Fair connect more hits than Fox's? It just seemed that way the last time I did it.

RaynEX

Colonel RTSD
Arcnatural talked about this somewhere on the Fox boards I think.

Never have a preset approach, always react to what your opponent is doing. Make your moves dependant on what movements they make. Whether they're camping, attacking, running or recovering - if you filter your moves to include only the ones that will be the most useful in a given situation, you'll find that killing your opponent will be much easier. Spamming moves you think will work isn't how its done; think and react.

Da Shuffla

Smash Lord
Sorry for the double post.

What are some tips on approaching with fox? I have a thread on this board that that has some a couple new videos of mine. I also posted on Gamefaqs, and they said that I need to approach better. How can I approach more effectively?

Here is the thread, thanks to anyone who has some tips!

http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?p=5332252#post5332252
You could also try using DDing and WDing to make your opponent react. When they get near you, this may bait them into using a high lag power move, then you rush in with a JC grab.

GOTM

Smash Champion
Arcnatural talked about this somewhere on the Fox boards I think.

Never have a preset approach, always react to what your opponent is doing. Make your moves dependant on what movements they make. Whether they're camping, attacking, running or recovering - if you filter your moves to include only the ones that will be the most useful in a given situation, you'll find that killing your opponent will be much easier. Spamming moves you think will work isn't how its done; think and react.
thats probably one of the smartest posts about fox that ive seen in a while. too many people know how to beat a good fox nowadays. if your not smart, it wont cut it.

RaynEX

Colonel RTSD
Yep, take PC Chris for example. There are alot of Foxes out there that are more technical than him, but he ***** everyone anyways. His mental game is incredible.

Toobz

Smash Journeyman
Ok thanks guys. I feel like i kinda suck now. I am kinda surprised, since I thought I was pretty good. I still lost to just about everyone at FAST1, but hell, S0FT and Ragnarok said I had a pretty decent/technical fox. I even played Esam and beat him once or twice. He was probably sand bagging, but still.... Maybe that video wasn't a decent representation of skill? Either way, I appreciate your advice, and I will try to upload another video in the next couple weeks.

Also, what is a good way to record directly from the TV so it has better quality like most Youtube videos? Can I just hook up my digital camera to the TV and record like that? Thanks all!

RaynEX

Colonel RTSD
Don't worry about making your videos better quality. Just work on your Fox...learn different match-ups and what techniques to spam when they d.i. or try to escape.

Also, be more fluid and less randomly technical. Its the Cactuar mindset - movement over moves.
When you're not physically in a battle, don't randomly shffl moves and hope they'll hit. If you miss vs. Marth for example, he'll run back and pivot grab you and you lose your stock instantly.

Move around, and look for openings. If it takes too long, and your opponent seems to be playing more defensive, get in there...use some offensive CCing and usmash him for his random fairs.

I like using aggressive options with Fox, it makes him that much harder to stop when he's bearing down on you. Ask anything else if you need help. Combos on certain characters, character specific stuff..edge-guarding.

Toobz

Smash Journeyman
Don't worry about making your videos better quality. Just work on your Fox...learn different match-ups and what techniques to spam when they d.i. or try to escape.

Also, be more fluid and less randomly technical. Its the Cactuar mindset - movement over moves.
When you're not physically in a battle, don't randomly shffl moves and hope they'll hit. If you miss vs. Marth for example, he'll run back and pivot grab you and you lose your stock instantly.
Wow that has got to be the best advice ever. I always knew that professional smashers were way better than me, but never really new what made them so much better. I think that whole Movement over Moves quote there is so true. I can do some technical stuff when I really try, but not consistently. I think this is because I've really neglected to learn how to move well. I guess playing smart is able to stay in motion fluidly and being able to exploit an opening.

So here's my practice agenda. Whenever I play, I won't really focus as much on winning the match and trying to string moves together as much as playing "smart" and trying to master the movement of fox (short hopping, perfect wavedashing, wavelanding, dash dance, pivot, platform tactics). Its such simple advice, but I needed to hear that. Now I'm motivated. Thanks for giving me this realization, RaynEX!

RaynEX

Colonel RTSD
np. Movement > moves is a thing Cactuar indirectly told me about during a tourny in GA. He was saying how he wasn't very technical, but how his movement was good. After a while, I realized how useless attacking was if you didn't have intelligent, varied movement behind it.

Fluidity is hard to teach, but not so difficult to learn on your own. You'll get the hang of doing techincal stuff you're comfortabe with. In time, SDing or constant mistakes won't be much of an issue. Post vids if you need any more advice.

edit: Mike:

He's dumb as in playstyle dumb...or as in dumb guy?

mikeHAZE

Smash Legend
dumb as in all tech skill and no thinking

idk about now i mean he got considerably good in a short amount of time, but he moved away before any decent mental game got developed so idk

sup raynex.

remember when i guessed how you got your name?

Top Bottom