• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A -Fox Advice/Questions Topic-

SCOTU

Smash Hero
Dude, I finally borrowed someone's (Levitas') av cable so my cube works again, and I can finally play some freakin melee! woot! this game is so good. Tech skill comes back pretty quickly (i was surprised about that). It sucks if the only thing you can play is brawl. And i found a w1n technique: jab>dash away>pivot turnaround fsmash. So good.

Shai Hulud

Smash Lord
Dude, I finally borrowed someone's (Levitas') av cable so my cube works again, and I can finally play some freakin melee! woot! this game is so good. Tech skill comes back pretty quickly (i was surprised about that). It sucks if the only thing you can play is brawl. And i found a w1n technique: jab>dash away>pivot turnaround fsmash. So good.
Why do that when you can jab>usmash?

Shai Hulud

Smash Lord
I don't know if that would work very often. The fsmash can get CC'd at low - mid %, or shield-grabbed. If your goal is to catch them off guard landing a grab would be easier and less punishable. I do this sometimes when I expect retaliation after the jab. That is, I jab, dash away, then come back and grab.

takieddine

Smash Master
jab> anything is usually risky and in some cases will get you killed (just play M2k and Lord Knight LOL).

You can still CC jab even at really high percents, so its pretty bad for leading into stuff. if they don't CC it however you can have lots of options open JC charged upsmash is my favorite.

jab>shine is the only semi-reliable move you could do.

SCOTU

Smash Hero
I don't know if that would work very often. The fsmash can get CC'd at low - mid %, or shield-grabbed. If your goal is to catch them off guard landing a grab would be easier and less punishable. I do this sometimes when I expect retaliation after the jab. That is, I jab, dash away, then come back and grab.
Actually, that's always what i do, that's what gave me the idea for this lol

elvenarrow3000

Smash Master
It's just like usmashing out of shield (tap up/jump and C-stick up before you leave the ground), except you're doing it out of shine.

Or are you talking about shine to wavedash to usmash?

SCOTU

Smash Hero
if you want to use it effectively, dash cancel the shine and usmash quickly, that way they get hit by both the shine and the usmash (combos on every character assuming they don't SDI the shine away or don't DI Up/away if they were in the air) and if you dash cancel it perfectly, the shine would come out 6 frames faster than had you just perfect jc usmashed, meaning this makes the dash cancel shine>jc usmash come out faster and deal more damage than just a jc usmash. The drawback is that you can't do this out of a dash (kinda misleading calling it a dash cancel if you can't actually cancel a dash w/ it, just a run), and it has less range than a usmash.

takieddine

Smash Master
if you want to use it effectively, dash cancel the shine and usmash quickly, that way they get hit by both the shine and the usmash (combos on every character assuming they don't SDI the shine away or don't DI Up/away if they were in the air) and if you dash cancel it perfectly, the shine would come out 6 frames faster than had you just perfect jc usmashed, meaning this makes the dash cancel shine>jc usmash come out faster and deal more damage than just a jc usmash. The drawback is that you can't do this out of a dash (kinda misleading calling it a dash cancel if you can't actually cancel a dash w/ it, just a run), and it has less range than a usmash.
If the shine is DI'd up on fast fallers, it can still combo :) (eg. Falco). The same way you can also shine>grab falco before he hits the ground :)

takieddine

Smash Master
I would also like to know, because im now sure how powershielding works.

If it works the way i think it does (which requires the character using frames to put the shield up and put it down) then i'd say yes, but it really depends on how fast they do the shine>jc upsmash.

Shai Hulud

Smash Lord
If they're still holding L/R after powershielding the shine they will shield the upsmash. You can drop your shield really fast after powershielding (unsure how fast, though) but you don't have to.

SCOTU

Smash Hero
If you powershield an attack, your shield will still take the hitlag, but you won't have shield stun iirc, so yes, you could (because it'd take them 11 frames to usmash, and you only 7 frames to grab.

takieddine

Smash Master
If they're still holding L/R after powershielding the shine they will shield the upsmash. You can drop your shield really fast after powershielding (unsure how fast, though) but you don't have to.
Thats not what he meant i think.

If you powershield an attack, your shield will still take the hitlag, but you won't have shield stun iirc, so yes, you could (because it'd take them 11 frames to usmash, and you only 7 frames to grab.
This is what he meant

ragnarock

Smash Lord
I can't cancel fox's foward be to the distance I prefer short or long I always get the max. Can any of you guys help a brotha out.

Shai Hulud

Smash Lord
I can't cancel fox's foward be to the distance I prefer short or long I always get the max. Can any of you guys help a brotha out.
You have to press B during the moving part of the animation. Here's the frame data from SDM:

Fox Illusion

Total: 63
Fox starts moving away: 21
Hit: 22-25
Time to press B and stop Fox: 20-24
Can grab edge as early as 29

So there's just a five frame window to shorten the illusion, and it shortens to different distances depending on timing. It's very, very hard to be able to choose any one of those five distances with consistency. I can shorten it on frame 20 very consistently but if I'm going for a medium length illusion I'm more likely to miss by a frame or two, which probably means I'll get killed.

Witchking_of_Angmar

Smash Lord
Slowly starting to enjoy my mothertongue again. :)
Speak for yourself.

Pivot f tilt is **** with fox.

and most everyone else for that matter (except like..pichu)
I won't tell you to look at the post above you, because I know you're trolling, but whatever.

My whole playstyle revolves around pivoting, so you can hardly tell me that I should speak for myself.

Also, pivot dtilt> pivot ftilt with Marth.

MarsFool!

Smash Lord
No point in trying to play this game frame by frame unless ou have a built in gamecube in your body. Do what works, not what should work between frames 1-4 and after frame 18.

elvenarrow3000

Smash Master
What's the advantage of pivoting over wavedashing attacks?

And since I'm on the Fox boards, why don't people waveshine Captain Falcon/Sheik up and down the stage? I've seen Mew2King do that to PC Chris' Falcon once, but never again in a pro match. It seems like most Foxes waveshine into a uthrow/uair or a usmash. Is it because of smash DI or what?

Brookman

Smash Hero
getting out of waveshines is easier said than done, and performing the waveshines is slightly (slightly) risky. Also, shine to grab/upsmash leads into more hits and/or kills more often than not.

Honestly, it's a matter of preference. I think most players would stick to shine grab/smash because it's simple and is a guarenteed thing pending the wavedash out of the shine.

Tyr_03

Smash Champion
I only waveshine Peach, Link and Captain Falcon. Sheik tends not to give me the opportunity, same with Falcon sometimes.

Top Bottom