• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A -Fox Advice/Questions Topic-

lord karn

Smash Master
Yeah, I just remembered I played your Ylink at MAD and got owned. I main Ylink as low tier :)

Hey guys, I suck sooo bad against Peach. What do I do?
All i know is...

1. Laser a lot
2. Don't approach
3. If you do approach approach with Dair>shine
4. Space Bairs.

Am I missing something?
Approaching with dair -> shine is not very good. Not only does wd back **** it, but peach can usually just sdi out of the dair unless you approach from a very specific place that makes it hard to do that (right above her on a platform). If she does this she gets a grab and you might die.

Yeah, definitely laser a lot.

However, you can definitely approach. Run around on platforms while she's floating. You're way faster than her so you should pretty easily be able to gain a favorable position this way. Get above her and then come down with a spaced bair. If she runs away from this, laser her, then get back on the platform and try to set it up again. You should be getting at least a few lasers off of this at least if she is running away. Eventually she'll get to a percent where she can't cc you're nair. Now you can dd camp and wait for nair openings, or you can just keep doing the above method and look for bair kills.

Ocean

Smash Master
Slippi.gg
OCEAN#0
does anyone know what the percentage is where peach can't CC nair anymore?

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
Something like that. Well, you can strong nair -> up-smash her before her d-smash comes out. I don't think it knocks her down though. It's weird, but I've done it (and seen it done) on multiple occasions.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
To beat Peach

Shoot lasers and do drillshine > u-smash when she's stupid or gives you an opening (coincides often). Bair is pretty good but do it after 30 or you may be *****. Also, Bair is a fairly stationary move so you are liable to be WD back ***** if you get predictable with it. Edgeguard with Shine whenever possible.

If you suck at u-throw uair then just u-throw bair or wait below them and u-tilt when they try to combo break you with nair and then do a big combo. Or jump to bait something and then punish it if possible.

If she's floating you can sometimes rambo her out of her float with nair (and stuff her fair) but it can be dangerous to do so because at low percents she can get a free nair this way. At medium percents you might start a nair combo though or be able to try for an u-tilt. at high percents you may be able to link to uair and KO.

Most Peaches are really stupid and will just spontaneously d-smash or sidestep if you challenge their zone even slightly when they're not set up so you can get free drillshine combos this way.

If you're technical then at low percents drillshine > turn around u-tilt is better than u-smash (after like 5) because it will lead to automatic moves or knock her down depending on how low she is, which is better than doing 18% immediately. though both are very good so do whatever.

Wait for her outside of her getup attack range when she's holding the ledge. Peach sucks on the ledge because she's horrendously awful. Punish whatever she does accordingly.

lord karn

Smash Master
Something like that. Well, you can strong nair -> up-smash her before her d-smash comes out. I don't think it knocks her down though. It's weird, but I've done it (and seen it done) on multiple occasions.
Well, she can dsmash before the shine from a strong nair up until a certain percent, so I don't know if it makes sense that you can usmash. However, if they aren't ccing, then you can get some **** stuff. I've never really understood how to trick people into not ccing, though, so I've never really tried that.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
strong nair becomes usable at like 40 because it pushes her away far enough so even if she d-smashes she won't hit you

then you hit her for trying that

with drillshine u-smash

or similar

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
I don't know why it works, Karn. All I know is that I've hit CCing Peaches with nair and was able to up-smash them before their d-smash mashing prevailed.

thoctar

Smash Rookie
I was looking for advice against jigglypuff, and I was finding a lot of "up throw to uair", so I tried that, but I was finding that a lot of the time jigglypuff was just getting thrown too far for me to chase her with an uair. Sadly I don't have any video's to post, but does anyone have any tips? Is it only possible to do the upthrow to uair at certain percentages? Or do I just have to suck it up and chase that ***** down?

L__

Smash Master
if you shield grab and use c-stick to up throw, you can hold shield and hold up on the c-stick to jump asap after the throw animation ends. this is helpful if the jigglypuff doesn't di side to side well.

=/

be sure to double jump towards the higher %s though!

Metal Reeper

Smash Champion
^ That is awesome but...Doesn't your shield start before the jump? Making it overall slower? No Cash keeps telling me that but I would like someone to confirm.

Ocean

Smash Master
Slippi.gg
OCEAN#0
I'm pretty sure that there are IASA frames on upthrow, and that you can't shield during IASA frames. I could be wrong about this though.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
the biggest failure is people being bad at dashing out of the throw

i'm not sure if c-stick up produces a throw i heard it was only down but the more you know

i think this can be practiced in training mode effectively if you want to have it in your repertoire

Druggedfox

Smash Champion
If you position your uair correctly, very few jiggs players will consistently get out of it. Additionally, you can just upthrow--> bair for % anyway, and for kills dthrow-->upsmash if thats truly a problem. Not to mention that even slight changes in timing mess up SDI (because SDI is about timing) so its not terribly difficult to get the person to mess up their DI

Sinji

Smash Master
NNID
Sinjis
3DS FC
0361-6602-9839
Can someone give me an outline on the falco matchup?

I cant grab out of shield. He'l just fsmash me. And i cant shine out oos. He'l just spam lasers.

Any advice?

battousai555

Smash Ace
Shoot lasers and do drillshine > u-smash when she's stupid or gives you an opening (coincides often). Bair is pretty good but do it after 30 or you may be *****. Also, Bair is a fairly stationary move so you are liable to be WD back ***** if you get predictable with it. Edgeguard with Shine whenever possible.
As long as you're on a stage with platforms, can't you just shoot lasers and run in circles on the platforms? She's much slower, so she'll eventually be forced to come to you. This involves her jumping, and in the air bair ***** her hard, does it not?

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
If you're asking if platform camping works vs Peach to force her hand or get free damage then, yes, yes it does.

edit:

Stubbornly I think actually being able to do the timing out of throw with the jump buttons is a good skill to have.

omgwtfToph

Smash Master
Of course it's a good skill to have. Because if you rely on buffering a jump with the c-stick immediately after uthrow, you'll never be able to get a running start if Jiggs DI's to the side at a higher percent.

Metal Reeper

Smash Champion
If you do C-stick up to buffer a jump (And of course you must be holding shield) There is 2 frames of lag. You can actually see it.

Brookman

Smash Hero
Marth can edge guard as well as, if not better than, puff. ***************

Marth's edge guarding is as good as or better than puff's.

A Marth player may utilize a combination of commands and spacing to prevent an opponent's character from returning to the platform as well as, if not better than, a Jigglypuff player can, based solely on his or her decision to play Jigglypuff.

omgwtfToph

Smash Master
idk it depends on what character is being edgeguarded lol. for example, fox and puff are probably the best at edgeguarding sheik. puff is obviously better at edgeguarding samus. etc

Brookman

Smash Hero
On average, I believe that a marth player may have more success in utilizing spacing and command inputs to repel an opposing player's character from the main platform indefinitely and/or force them to make contact with a blast zone using his wide range of tools. I also believe that, on average, a marth player will be able to perform this game mechanic with a similar or greater success rate than another player utilizing jigglypuff's spacing and command inputs.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
I think Resting characters for landing on the level is an extremely powerful edgeguard and I'm not sure that Marth has anything quite as easy as that (stationary target for like half a second is stupid). That said, the range of Marth's sword and ease of hitting through hitboxes gives him some nice versatility. Also, spike.

*shrug*

Overall Marth's might be better. But vs a lot of recoveries I'd definitely prefer Jiggs's.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
yeah i suppose. Her ability to punish with a 1HKO is invaluable in that situation. Marth has a better coverage but less power... or something like that.

I think pretty much every character mid tier and above can edgeguard really soundly.

FoxLisk

Smash Lord
well. rest as an edgeguard shouldnt be overstated. For example, if marth is at 70% and gets an edgeguard, he now has a stock lead, whereas puff would have gained nothing.

Brookman

Smash Hero
except . . .the other player has one less stock and if it's their last stock puff has a huge advantage.

For example, almost everytime a fox (or falco?) playerforward b's to the stage Hbox is resting them. I mean . .

4 Aces

Smash Ace
Where might I find the Jumper game Unknown was playing? I can't seem to find it on google. >.<

Navn

Smash Apprentice
Can someone give me an outline on the falco matchup?

I cant grab out of shield. He'l just fsmash me. And i cant shine out oos. He'l just spam lasers.

Any advice?
Since you were so unspecific, i'll try to give you some headers.

Learn the timing for powershielding lasers
It helps soo much for taking off the pressure from his lasergame, since Falco vs Fox is all about hampering the Fox's ability to use his superior movement.

You can practise this against computers, since they will always fire lasers when far away from you, although it will always be littlebrother-bullets.

Know your out of shield options
Shine OoS is mostly your best choice, since it is the fastest and it can break his shieldpressure if he spaces wrong. Get good at the timing so you don't get too high up before shining after jumping out of your shield.

Also, don't grab out of shield unless you notice him messing up his shield-pressure alot. The grabs you will be getting are either from techchases, combos or punishing. If he likes to fsmash alot, just dash dance around 'till you can run in and grab him.

Some videos would be nice, since it's hard to judge your level, and thus which part of the MU you have problems with.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
well. rest as an edgeguard shouldnt be overstated. For example, if marth is at 70% and gets an edgeguard, he now has a stock lead, whereas puff would have gained nothing.
1) character dependent
2) rest edgeguard's power is its consistency and that it's an OHKO at low percents that they can't do anything about, period

yeah i suppose. Her ability to punish with a 1HKO is invaluable in that situation. Marth has a better coverage but less power... or something like that.

I think pretty much every character mid tier and above can edgeguard really soundly.
yeah, i can agree with this

marth can cover a lot of options he just has to do like 8 things afterwards (unless you hit a reverse up+B or spike or something). what's nice about puff is that even though she covers less, you just have to down+b and they die. or do a bunch of aerials and they die. when she gets it, finishing is simple.

except . . .the other player has one less stock and if it's their last stock puff has a huge advantage.
this. it's like a suicide spike but like 1830128301x better.

Top Bottom