• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fourth and final community vote about Meta Knight.

Should Meta Knight be banned from competitive Brawl?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

AvaricePanda

Smash Lord
As a Kirby main, I say leave him.
As a PT main, I say "Ban his ***!"
As a Sonic main, I say "WTF is a MK?"

But really, I'd like to see Meta Knight banned if only to JUST see where the meta game would go. Even just a temporary ban would be fine.

Think about it.
Would characters like ROB & ICs, that get hard-countered by MK, be more viable?
Would the community become more aware of match-ups?
Who would MK mains fall back on?
Would tourney results be more balanced?
Will The Rabbit ever get his Trix?!

You can't help but be a little curious.

I'm sure even a some of the anti-bans would be willing to settle for a 2-3 month ban and then past final judgment.
Temporary ban is a horrible argument.

One, ICs don't get hard countered by MK. If they did, Lain wouldn't have beaten Dojo and M2K at Apex. But he did. ICs is actually one of MKs closer match-ups.

Two, not much would change. The same MK mains (that didn't quit) that were placing in the top would still be placing in the top a few weeks down the road. Really, the only people who would get any drastic increase from MKs ban would be Marth, Toon Link, and Peach and ROB kinda (former still has other bad top tier match-ups, latter has a really hard counter) because their match-ups are all good except for mainly them. And really, all that would do is bring the number of Diddys and Warios slightly down.

The only reason why tournament results would get abnormally more diverse is because you don't have the primary character in tournaments anymore, and the mains of those characters are going to be choosing a bunch of different people. In the end, there are still characters who have really good MUs around the board (Wario, Marth) and will still be dominating.

HowaitoKumaSan

Smash Apprentice
Like what Inui said. This guy basically won.
I wasn't gonna post in this anymore, but this?

This is hilarious.

Carry on.
Almost everyone that posted in the last few pages should leave SWF except for you.
I'm only trying to bring some hilarity to an otherwise un-funny situation we have here.

I'm not talking about the ban/don't ban issue; I'm talking about the bunch of people who are making silly arguments who clearly haven't read both arguments.

...Carry on, I have IRL stuff to deal with.

Suspect

Smash Hero
I blame Sakurai.

He's too smart.

He hates the competitiveness, so he made MK just the right amount of broken that he knew we'd waste our time debating, and arguing, and flaming, but in the end he knew we wouldn't ban him.

But he knew we'd john, and get angry, maybe even quit Brawl, because of this character, that was great, but not great enough for us to ban him.

He knew, oh he knew.

Right now, he is laughing. He may not even have an account, but he knows. And he is laughing. At ALL of us.
sakurai didnt want this game to be competitive in the first place iirc...

OmniOstrich

Smash Lord
Would characters like ROB & ICs, that get hard-countered by MK, be more viable?
Would the community become more aware of match-ups?
Who would MK mains fall back on?
Would tourney results be more balanced?
ICs aren't hard countered by MK, also tourny results would still be S-A tiers pretty much exclusively, just like it is now.

xDD-Master

Smash Champion
Even though you're joking, Meta Knight clearly was not designed to be balanced. ****, the fact they intentionally gave him a 1 frame faster airdodge then everyone else in the game is just proof of this. Something so pointless was clearly only added to taunt the people who cared about it.
So Sakurai hates Peach ? (Worst Air Dodge by FAR - universe)

fkacyan

Smash Hero
Now that's not completely fair. Some stuff in that game does need to be banned for OU play. That's why we have ubers.
I won't debate this, because I'm the same way with stages in Smash, however;

The Pokemon community bans ANYTHING that is deemed OP without nearly enough intensive testing, though this is probably moreso due to lack of sample size and volunteer bias than anything else.

inc. chibo telling me I don't know anything and me ignoring him.

JJROCKETS

Smash Journeyman
NNID
JJROCKETS
3DS FC
5129-2280-4196
Look at this argument AGAIN, who wants to respond to it?

Seriously.

I'm about to stroke out by the idiocy in this thread.

Also, what's this more work thing? If MK was really this auto fall back on character, you'd see random scrubs winning large tournaments, or even tournaments period with him, and tournament results wouldn't be consistent at all because you'd just have an influx of people using MK and placing really high!

Oh wait, that isn't happening.
Nobody will respond to this (Except me?), the thread is moving way to fast and nobody even cares to read anything in the 40+ pages of posts when they can just vote and get it over with. However, you bring up a few very good points. I was going to write something like that but didn't waste my time because it would get lost in the abyss of a gigantic thread like this.

I think that the voting here shouldn't really sway the descision of the SBR, because nearly 75% of the pro-ban vote is just going to come from a non-Metaknight main that cannot beat Metaknight, while the most of the anti-ban vote is from Metaknight mains. Personally I am very much anti-ban, but I do not play Metaknight ever because I don't enjoy playing as him.

There really isn't anything to worry about though, I honestly doubt that they would actually ban a character, but I have been wong before. I am excited to see how this turns out.

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
One, ICs don't get hard countered by MK. If they did, Lain wouldn't have beaten Dojo and M2K at Apex. But he did. ICs is actually one of MKs closer match-ups.
Just to add to your point, Snake vs ICs is much worse for ICs.
So by banning MK, the next most prominent threat would actually cause ICs to be greater invalidated.

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
No way! I've been using sprites of all the prosecutors and immitating them for ages now!
If only you knew how to spell imitating...

I thought anyone can do that.
I know right?

Oh lawd.

This is probably one of the better threads on this site.

It's actually entertaining reading this. I love it.
Me too, too great.

Because posting in large lettering makes you smart. You need to change your name. Every time I skim through this and I see periods getting quoted, I think it's me. So yeah, do as i say pl0x.

MKs gay we all know it.
That's why he hides in his mask. He needs to come out from behind the mask. Er, the closet door.

noradseven

Smash Lord
I won't debate this, because I'm the same way with stages in Smash, however;

The Pokemon community bans ANYTHING that is deemed OP without nearly enough intensive testing, though this is probably moreso due to lack of sample size and volunteer bias than anything else.

inc. chibo telling me I don't know anything and me ignoring him.
Give them credit man there are like 500 characters and most characters that are on the fence go through about 1 month of testing and often retesting my roommate does alot of that stuff.

fkacyan

Smash Hero
Anybody who things anything can be derived from a poll of largely uninformed people who may play in regions without a solid metagame / any metagame at all with a small sample size and no significant difference in the numbers is somebody who knows nothing about statistics.

Fire!

Smash Champion
NNID
Fire149
3DS FC
2809-9924-8928
Gonna start reading all of it right now.

fkacyan

Smash Hero
Give them credit man there are like 500 characters and most characters that are on the fence go through about 1 month of testing and often retesting my roommate does alot of that stuff.
I have no issue with banning, but the Pokemon community is far too ready to do it. It's very similar to the Brawl community, it just lacks a lot of elitists (No, I'm not kidding) to bring hard, reasoned arguments in all the time.

I'm not saying the stuff they've banned isn't ban-worthy, but there isn't much evidence behind a lot of it.

Also, only max evos count for the metagame, and about half the cast isn't even viable.

BSP

Smash Legend
Does he need it?
Personally, i think a person should have a legitimate argument to ban a character. But thats me

Which opens another thing. im sure someone said this, but a person who has never posted could come here and vote to have him banned cause he/she can't beat him.

Cloud9157

Smash Journeyman
Look at this argument AGAIN, who wants to respond to it?

Seriously.

I'm about to stroke out by the idiocy in this thread.

Also, what's this more work thing? If MK was really this auto fall back on character, you'd see random scrubs winning large tournaments, or even tournaments period with him, and tournament results wouldn't be consistent at all because you'd just have an influx of people using MK and placing really high!

Oh wait, that isn't happening.
So I'll just copy past parts of the quote you had in a different color and address what I can honestly perceive.

"This has been said since November, and since November, his overall tournament results have declined. While he still is in the lead for best results, they aren't nearly as bad as half a year ago. Look at the two most recent, most competitive, largest Brawl tournaments; Apex and Genesis. A lot of people said, "Let's wait for Apex!" It happened. One out of the top eight was a pure MK main I believe, with two or three others using him as a secondary in some matches. Ally, a Snake main, won Apex. Most people said, "Let's wait for Genesis!" 3 out of the top 8 were pure MK mains, no one else using him. Ally, a Snake, won Genesis."

A solid point. I won't deny that his results have declined. Let's look at the potential reasons as to why they did.

I found it funny that while there was no complaint or possibility pertaining to MK being banned/overpowered, there was next to no research into his close matchups. But when the red flag goes up and he is viewed as bannable, people work to find things that help worsen his matchups. All the sudden re-discussions of MK's matchups like Diddy, Falco, Snake etc. Wario and ICs, who were nowhere near being considered even or slight advantage MK before the ban attempt, were being considered even.

Also, who is to say people haven't quit Brawl or were afraid when a legitimate attempt to ban MK were shown? In my personal opinion, if I was going to potentially lose the character I worked to improve regardless of the period of time maining him, I would switch to someone else, whether it be Snake or Falcon. The risk is rarely worth the reward I believe.

I'll just counter that part of your quote. Better to take it step-by-step rather than have a huge post of words.

If people can actually be decent about this and not flame/be trolls, show me a decent counter to what I said.

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
I like how some of the angriest people here don't play at tourneys/suck too much to even notice the difference in how bad their anus bleeds after getting *****.

That goes for me too-LOL.

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
Do note I am anti ban

Pro-ban, ask me these questions:

This has been said since November, and since November, his overall tournament results have declined. While he still is in the lead for best results, they aren't nearly as bad as half a year ago. Look at the two most recent, most competitive, largest Brawl tournaments; Apex and Genesis. A lot of people said, "Let's wait for Apex!" It happened. One out of the top eight was a pure MK main I believe, with two or three others using him as a secondary in some matches. Ally, a Snake main, won Apex. Most people said, "Let's wait for Genesis!" 3 out of the top 8 were pure MK mains, no one else using him. Ally, a Snake, won Genesis.
Um how does this refute the pro-ban argument in regards to MK's dominance?
MK is still an incredibly dominant character, Apex and Genesis does not change that at all.
Considering the fact that MK did take top 8 more so than any other character within the top 8, this alone indicates his capability.

Not only hat but you are using a player as reason for your argument.
We do not use the players. For one player's are human, if you watched the Apex and Genesis matches, M2K made mistakes that cost him the match. Do explain as to why a metaknight plyer should be getting spiked by Fair in a neutral position?

Frankly your argument ignores the many variables that contributed to Ally's win as well as those contributing to MK's dominance.

To argue that, oh his dominance is declining, does not change the fact that Metaknight is dominating tournaments.
Saying that Ally won those two national tournaments does not validate your argument since he is a player not the character, this is the same for m2k.
Mistakes occur at high level play

These results have a decent decline from other large tournaments such as hobo11 and CoT4 in the past, yet people are saying that MK's tournament results will only grow. They've shrunk. There is absolutely no evidence to suggest that his tournament placings will get better.[/quote
Decent? How so? Is he showing a drastic decrease? Hardly, because there hasn't been much of a change in terms of dominance. Metaknight is still averaging over 20% of tournaments and still places extremely well where he outplaces everyone else including Snake.

First of all, what exactly is an even match-up?
5-5
Even matchup
a.k.a ditto.

Rare in other matchups.
If you're really on-paper-picky, then even match-ups don't exist except for ditto matches (but even then, port priority).
port priority does not matter much in most cases.

But realistically, an even match-up is just a match-up where it's very close, and the more skilled player will generally win. And the top players are pretty close in skill.
Correct?

To say that MK has no even or close enough to even match-ups is hard, given the evidence. Ally, a Snake main, has gone back and forth with M2K, an MK main, as well as beating other top MKs. Lain, an Ice Climbers main, beat Dojo and M2K, both MK mains, at Apex. ADHD, a Diddy main, has beaten Dojo in an MM at Apex and come very close to beating both M2K and Tyrant in previous sets.
K now lets look at all the other times those players have lost to those other MK players.
How about how wyatt lost to tyrant's MK.
Or how Ally has lost to M2k's MK?
HOw about the fact they are HUMAN and make mistakes.
M2k getting spiked by Snake's laggy *** Fair?

If MK had a clear advantage on every one of his match-ups, why would things like this be happening?
Cause they are human and prone to mistakes, mindgames. sickness, etc etc.

If you want to argue the match-up specifics of why I think that he has even MUs like Snake, ICs. and Diddy, then go ahead and challenge me, because I don't feel like writing out long match-up summaries. I will say this though; Diddy Kong especially has only improved in this match-up since it's been explored, and he has a lot of known technical room to grow, such as single banana locking and working out the kinks of mid-ranged zoning, room to grow in the match-up that MK doesn't have. These match-ups are looking worse for MK as time goes on.
Go ahead and challenge you even though you wont defend your points enough?
-_-
forget that idea
Second: Planking and aircamping have been known for ages, The infamous Plank vs. SK92 match where Plank...well...planked and played very campy was a match from September of last year. It's late July now. Everybody knows about the match, everybody knows about planking and air-camping, INCLUDING MK mains. If they wanted to have planked every match to net a win by now, they'd do it.
K and your point is?
But not only do many people choose not to play like that because it's boring and not fun for them (M2K being a good example of this), many don't do it much even if they could because they aren't horribly broken. A good chunk of the cast has a very safe answer to planking, and EVERYONE can get past planking and air-camping by simply approaching. Is it safe? Not always. Do we know the specifics of what each character can do against planking and air-camping? No. So should people stop saying, "LOL IT'S BROKED BAN EET" and actually try to find out how good or bad it is before they say it's bannable? Yes.
No they don't. Why?
Sweetspotting.
Did you honestly forget that the MK is in control of their movement?
Many characters can do allt hey want to fight planking but mos areill equipped to do so or stip it.

The argument of, it hasn't happened, therefore it is not ban worthy is a TERRIBLE argument.
If I have a character who can OHKO you just by pressing A, does that mean we should wait to experience it before we ban it? NO.
Same with IDC.
Same with wall infinites. None of them ever were used to dominate tournaments but were banned in one manner or another.

People have been saying that since November.

It's late July now.

Hey, guess what, competitive Brawl still exists! And look, all of the signs, such as his match-ups and tournament placings, show that his lead on the cast that he once held is now, in fact, slipping! There's no evidence to suggest that the meta-game will deteriorate, especially since people have been saying that for over half a year and the situations only gotten better!
ummm, the metagame will die? Since when?
It would only be a metagame that revolves around MK.
a.k.a over centralization.

There is no logical reason to ban MK at this point. While the scare back in November or whatever was understandable, the situation's gotten better, and pro-ban is using the exact same argument. If competitive Brawl would have died, it would have happened by now. There is no evidence to suggest that MK will have some broken new tech, or MK will dominate results in the future. Even if there was, you don't ban things pre-emptively because you theory-craft that they MIGHT be bad. You ban them when they're a problem.
K. by that logic, we should allow a super broken character to exist simply cause he hasnt ***** the hell out of tournaments.

Saying that we should wait for it to be a problem is terrible as an argument.
We only wait in the event that it is controversial, o very difficult to discern if ban worthy or not.

Not, wait for it to be a problem.
We did not wait for Akuma.

This argument you used is poor.

K devil's advocate is done. I hope i did decently.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
I hate how every MK main votes anti-ban (except overswarm) and they number just below as many non-MK mains voting pro-ban.

proban will never have a 2/3 vote because of this

Praxis

Smash Hero
BRoomer
It really boils down to this:

The pro ban side arguement was STRONGER. Anyone who disagrees knows nothing about writing and presentation.

It was also longer and looks like he put much more thought into it as well. Without a doubt.
<3
Thank you. :) We spent a lot of time on it haha.

noradseven

Smash Lord
I like how some of the angriest people here don't play at tourneys/suck too much to even notice the difference in how bad their anus bleeds after getting *****.

That goes for me too-LOL.
IDK I just like playing MK more than snake/IC/Olimar, because when I playing its not like ohh **** they predicted well there goes my stock., plus I can do that to him :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom