• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Forget it. Close this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

streetracr77

Smash Journeyman
I think G&W is a great character, but at 4th place, he really can't go up from there. He's a balanced character all around. Has good recover, strong moves, and good juggling. I haven't been seeing any wins with him though. He's a good character, but not a lot of people are winning with him.

lol...^^^

No wonder the G&W boards is at a standstill. We get off topic soooooo easily. How about testing out new ways to play G&W?
K 2 is right, instead of complaining about what he can and can't do, we should find new ways to play with him.

nice ^.^

Pikaville

Pikaville returns 10 years later.
Hey was messing with movement and stuff lastnight an found these.

If your fox trotting with G&W.You can just tap backwards after your last initial dash and then b air.It gives you a b air while seeming to be facing/moving fowards.Its good as a quick surprize attack and can easily be followed by a quick dash after landing into a second aerial.(only really works on lower percents and better on heavies/fastfallers.)The best part is before the b air there is no seeable turnaround at all.Only instant facing fowards b airs.Or so it would seem.

Did you know you can also switch the direction of your A attack if you move the analog stick very slightly left and right before each A?

This is very good for getting in an extra hit from whiffed b airs if you can pull it off.

Dont know if they are common knowledge or not but always good to know.Every little helps.

Also only found out lastnight that if you use 1 jump and up b then aerial,you can use the second jump after the aerial and aerial again.LOL everybody probably already knows this.

Is G&W the only character that can jump and attack again after their up b?

cutter

Smash Champion
Sonic and Snake can, too.
ROB can attack out of his Up B and so can Pit.

However ROB can't airdodge and Sonic can't use any B moves after using their Up Bs. G&W, like Snake just can't do an Up B again unless he gets hit.

Any windpushing moves will also count as a "hit" and give G&W his Up B back. :)

FooltheFlames

needs hugs~<3
Yeah i hit this wall with him early on.
Hes great because of the raw power, deciveing speed, his anti camper oil drum and best all around hitboxes in the game. He is pretty high on the tier list with 4th place and i dont think he will get much higher, while technical chararacters Link and Jiggly feel as if their is more left to learn and will might rise or not...

Gishnak

Smash Ace
Oh man, I step out of the thread for a week or so, and I miss so many arguments.

I'm still ready to argue that G&W is at least 60/40 on D3. Any takers who think it's even?

K 2

Smash Lord
Oh man, I step out of the thread for a week or so, and I miss so many arguments.

I'm still ready to argue that G&W is at least 60/40 on D3. Any takers who think it's even?
ummm....that's for the match-up threads to discuss. Help us STAY ON TOPIC on ways to improve/change G&W's stagnant metagame. We need new ways to play G&W, not old ways to face DDD.

Kyari

Smash Lord
Slippi.gg
KYRI#103
Well why don't we discuss how G&W plays right now first before we try to come up with ways to improve him? For instance, what characters can you safely approach with bair? What matchups do the use of neutral A benefit the most and why? How should one follow up a grab? We should at least have a clarification of G&W's playstyle before brainstorming elsewhere. It should also be done from the perspective of top tier matchups, being vs MK, Snake, Falco, DDD, Marth.

EDIT: I think the first thing I want to do is argue against the topic creator with respect to some of the things he said in his initial post. I'm going to quote JustKindaBoredUKno:

A Bored Dude said:
His fair is punishable. It was a lot of cool down, doesn't link into anything, unless you're playing a heavy character, and you unsweetspot it into a sweetspot. Saving it for a killing move is hardly useful, because using it above far above the ground can make it dodgeable and too close to the ground = punished.
Edgeguarding. Other than that it's not really useful and I can't argue with what you've said.
His n-air is only good for juggling and good players can DI away.
Only good for juggling? First of all, that's false. It's an amazing move to use on any character that jumps, it has a hitbox all the way in front of and behind G&W's head. It's also great when someone's near the edge while you're trying to get back on. It's even a good edge camp move that not even MK can do much about.

Secondly, even if it was only good for juggling that is enough of a reason to say it's a good move. Marth's uair is only good for juggling, but no-one's going to say it's a crap move because it's not really punishable when used properly and it supports juggling - which is a key component of Brawl, no questions asked. G&W's nair supports his uair making a powerful juggling game. You wanna know how to completely wreck Olimar? Get under him and uair, then nair. The whistle will not save him.

His b-air is good, that can't be argued.
Actually, it can. Since it's by far his most useful approach move, that means the other player knows it's coming and will specifically try to get around it as it's happening, and it lasts so long that it gives him more time to react so long as they avoid the move correctly. Snake and MK are G&W's two hardest matchups. Why are they his hardest matchups? One big reason is because he can't freely approach with bair.

His d-air is a poor spiking move. If used from above its shield-grabable.
Since when did we evaluate a dair, or any move, upon the criterium of whether it's a good spiking move? His dair is so good that almost no character can juggle him for any length of time. How is this not a supreme advantage?

His u-air is good at juggling, but doesn't even damage, so beyond stalling how good is it really?
His u-air is good at juggling, and often leads into nairs or if they airdodge near the ground and you meet them there, you can do whatever you want. Most often than that it's just good for nair damage and if they're too close to you they CAN get hit by uair, and they get sent extremely high. I've killed MK with this move multiple times.

His tilts are poor. His up-tilts can juggle at low damages, but thats about it. Nothing can lead into anything like most other characters' tilts, and they by no means KO. the only real tilt useable is d-tilt, and thats hardly situationable.
His tilts are not the best, but they're not "poor". They get the job done, but aren't very special. His dtilt does its job at being a great defensive move that can disrupt an approach, and often in close quarters it is the best move to use, since it has more range than any move that G&W can use in front of him except his fair. Running backward into bair is can get predictable and takes longer. His ftilt is very situational I'll give you that, but this is no real fault of G&W, most ftilts are situational except MK and Snake who can use them as approach or to effectively disrupt approaches, oh wait they're the best characters..... :X. His uptilt is extremely underused by the way. It's the only move he has on the ground that does what his uptilt can do. What other move can you use on the ground that lets you follow up with juggling? What other move can be used if they fall on you that ends faster than their airdodge and can then lead into you getting a free grab if they did? What other move can you use out of a spotdodge that is going to knock them up on a platform and give you stage control? Don't say upsmash.

He's light, can die low unless you're godly at DIing.
Even if you DI, he still dies low relative to other characters with equal DI skills. G&W is very light and will die early no matter what, this is just a fact. You can also say the same about MK, what's your point?

His moves really can't combo, so as long as you dodge you seem to be ok.
His moves aren't any worse at combo'ing than any other character, save MK. And dodging against G&W's bair, nair or dtilt, all pretty good moves, is never a very good decision.

My g&w has only done worse around here lately.
I'm sorry, use MK or Snake. Or use Falco against Snake and DDD.

Pikaville

Pikaville returns 10 years later.
Well through personal experience if find Falco very easy to chain n airs on at low percents.I think they are alot more effective on him than the b air.You an even chain nair>jab>grab on lower percents too.

He's also incredibly easy to edgeguard unless your stupid and jump out into an illusion.But im pretty sure all G&W aerials when well timed can stop it.

I also always throw out the bucket at the start of a match to get some free fill ups if Falco chooses to laser straight away.Which ive found(unless they are smart)they usually do.

Kyari

Smash Lord
Slippi.gg
KYRI#103
G&W has the advantage on Falco, I'd say 60:40, G&W's nair is one of the main things that does Falco in, especially recoverywise. I haven't really seen any argument against this.

Also the bucket is really only useful if they try to throw lasers at you while you're trying to recover, even then it's usually better to just fast fall and up B. I think if you're completely across on FD you can put the bucket out for just a second, but you have to put it away otherwise they can get too close to you before you can put it away and they can punish you for having pulled it out.

cutter

Smash Champion
The whole point of the bucket isn't always to just 0-death with someone, but it's nice in the fact that it limits projectile spam greatly.

And after the third absorption, G&W doesn't suffer ridiculous lag like he does with the first and second absorptions.

Kyari

Smash Lord
Slippi.gg
KYRI#103
Duh, because he's not absorbing after the third absorption. Lol. Kind of a moot point? Not sure where you're going.

The bucket is mainly good because it stops projectile camping, but it doesn't stop projectile use. Pit for example is forced to approach G&W.

Neb

Smash Lord
I like where this is going, but I think it deserves a different topic.
This one is "Why is G&W's Metagame at a standstill", we need an "Advancing G&W's Metagame" thread.
Change Title?

Pronto!
>.>

JustKindaBoredUKno

Smash Lord
to start off, i think i'll change the title.

Only good for juggling? First of all, that's false. It's an amazing move to use on any character that jumps, it has a hitbox all the way in front of and behind G&W's head. It's also great when someone's near the edge while you're trying to get back on. It's even a good edge camp move that not even MK can do much about.

Secondly, even if it was only good for juggling that is enough of a reason to say it's a good move. Marth's uair is only good for juggling, but no-one's going to say it's a crap move because it's not really punishable when used properly and it supports juggling - which is a key component of Brawl, no questions asked. G&W's nair supports his uair making a powerful juggling game. You wanna know how to completely wreck Olimar? Get under him and uair, then nair. The whistle will not save him.
nair is a bit better then i gave it credit for. i'll take back what i said and give it more credit. it does have a pretty good hitbox, and so long as 2-3 fish hit, its pretty good.

Actually, it can. Since it's by far his most useful approach move, that means the other player knows it's coming and will specifically try to get around it as it's happening, and it lasts so long that it gives him more time to react so long as they avoid the move correctly. Snake and MK are G&W's two hardest matchups. Why are they his hardest matchups? One big reason is because he can't freely approach with bair.
well i meant arguing as it being a bad move, which it certainly isn't. Of course, spamming it as an approach doesn't work as well as it used to, which is why revamping g&w needs to be done.

Since when did we evaluate a dair, or any move, upon the criterium of whether it's a good spiking move? His dair is so good that almost no character can juggle him for any length of time. How is this not a supreme advantage?
i've seen plenty of people here say his dair is amazing because it can spike.

because MK and snake have their ways around it, and once again, walk underneath him, sheild, and you can get a free grab.

His u-air is good at juggling, and often leads into nairs or if they airdodge near the ground and you meet them there, you can do whatever you want. Most often than that it's just good for nair damage and if they're too close to you they CAN get hit by uair, and they get sent extremely high. I've killed MK with this move multiple times.
well obviously it can hit, i know that much. I know i used it a fair amount against you in ann arbor. uair and nairs are great moves in unison, so i'll give it that. But u-air just stalls, unless it hits.

His tilts are not the best, but they're not "poor". They get the job done, but aren't very special. His dtilt does its job at being a great defensive move that can disrupt an approach, and often in close quarters it is the best move to use, since it has more range than any move that G&W can use in front of him except his fair. Running backward into bair is can get predictable and takes longer. His ftilt is very situational I'll give you that, but this is no real fault of G&W, most ftilts are situational except MK and Snake who can use them as approach or to effectively disrupt approaches, oh wait they're the best characters..... :X. His uptilt is extremely underused by the way. It's the only move he has on the ground that does what his uptilt can do. What other move can you use on the ground that lets you follow up with juggling? What other move can be used if they fall on you that ends faster than their airdodge and can then lead into you getting a free grab if they did? What other move can you use out of a spotdodge that is going to knock them up on a platform and give you stage control? Don't say upsmash.
but thats the point, for a high top tier character, his dilts are nothing special, which simply disagrees with his top tier-ness.

his up-tilt, like i said, is good for juggling at low damages. i support that completely. but to a point, it hits them too far up, which makes it not as good as it could be

Even if you DI, he still dies low relative to other characters with equal DI skills. G&W is very light and will die early no matter what, this is just a fact. You can also say the same about MK, what's your point?
save MK, none of the other top tiers die nearly as fast.

His moves aren't any worse at combo'ing than any other character, save MK.
Lucario, Zamus, Mario, Luigi, pikachu... plenty of characters can throw out great combos.

Kyari

Smash Lord
Slippi.gg
KYRI#103
First of all I want to clarify that I don't believe G&W is top tier so don't think that I believe he is on their level. I think the top tier is MK/Snake/Falco/DDD. I see G&W being at Marth's level right beneath top tier, whether Marth is above G&W or vice versa is a small difference at best.

Also no, I firmly believe that G&W's dtilt is better than Snake's, Falco's and DDD's. MK's and Marth's are better because they have frame traps. Snake's tilts overall are better though, Falco's tilts are not super amazing or anything and DDD's dtilt is useful yet situational, and his only dangerous tilt is his uptilt. Marth's tilts might outclass G&W, but Marth isn't top tier either and tilts don't seem to define the top tier in this game by any stretch of the imagination.

Lucario, Zamus, Mario, Luigi, pikachu... plenty of characters can throw out great combos.
Lucario, Pikachu... You may have a point with these two characters, but how can you severely fault G&W for a trait that you can only give to 5 other characters? Most of whom aren't even top tier?

And I remember our Pika vs GnW matches. GnW is such a crazy character to fight against XD. I don't use Pika against GnW though in tournament, I go Marth :O.

EDIT: Also I think you underestimate the utilt. Just because it can't combo into itself doesn't mean it doesn't support juggling anymore. Throwing them higher than can be comboed into another utilt will then allow you to use nair or uair and commence juggling tactics.

K 2

Smash Lord
Stop arguing about G&W's faults. We all know he has a fair amount of lag and he dies really easily. We aren't advancing his metagame any by arguing why G&W shouldn't be top tier. We need to discuss new ways/tactics to play G&W

Kyari

Smash Lord
Slippi.gg
KYRI#103
Try not to be annoyed K_2, JKBUK is just your everyday G&W surrounded by great players and he's probably just frustrated.

BTW JKBUK, was the falco that you said you lost to due to bucket use that Ace K guy? Just curious.

K 2

Smash Lord
I'll try to keep my cool. Should I start a new thread or something to discuss how to change G&W's metagame? This thread is so long and it ranges from match-up discussions to moveset discussions. It has NOTHING about revamping G&W's metagame.

Neb

Smash Lord
EDIT: Also I think you underestimate the utilt. Just because it can't combo into itself doesn't mean it doesn't support juggling anymore. Throwing them higher than can be comboed into another utilt will then allow you to use nair or uair and commence juggling tactics.
The only problem with utilt for me, is its lack of safe scenarios that you could execute it.
Flag doesn't have a lengthy arc like Marth's, so its just really hard pulling it off with a short-arm.

• Oos Shield
  • Out of a Spot Dodge
  • After a FF Nair

What do you tend to do?

JustKindaBoredUKno

Smash Lord
Try not to be annoyed K_2, JKBUK is just your everyday G&W surrounded by great players and he's probably just frustrated.

BTW JKBUK, was the falco that you said you lost to due to bucket use that Ace K guy? Just curious.
haha ace. i wonder where he's been.

no i don't think som i can't recall.

I can tell you one thing tho, da mann will abuse your bucket =/

Kyari

Smash Lord
Slippi.gg
KYRI#103
The only problem with utilt for me, is its lack of safe scenarios that you could execute it.
Flag doesn't have a lengthy arc like Marth's, so its just really hard pulling it off with a short-arm.

• Oos Shield
  • Out of a Spot Dodge
  • After a FF Nair

What do you tend to do?
Any time you land a multihit move and they're in your character space it's a good move to use, which often means after bair. Not sure why you're using it out of shield... seems to me like I'd want to Up B for some reason. Be more specific with tihs?

Neb

Smash Lord
Any time you land a multihit move and they're in your character space it's a good move to use, which often means after bair. Not sure why you're using it out of shield... seems to me like I'd want to Up B for some reason. Be more specific with tihs?
Oos on laggy moves. That's what I mean though, there are often better options out of most of these set-ups. I get what your saying, but it still stands as a situational move, considering DI after multi-hit move, but works more efficiently at low %.

JustKindaBoredUKno

Smash Lord
Oos on laggy moves. That's what I mean though, there are often better options out of most of these set-ups. I get what your saying, but it still stands as a situational move, considering DI after multi-hit move, but works more efficiently at low %.
thats what i've always thought. it just isn't flexible enough

JPOBS

Smash Hero
thats what i've always thought. it just isn't flexible enough
imo the thing which is limiting GnW's metagame advancement more than anything is the seemingly solid belief that only one thing should always be done any given situation, that being the "best" or "safest" tactic.

so far the GnW community has defined pretty much what are the bottomline "best" moves to use in a given situation and it seems to me that you all are too hell bent on performing these moves, and only these moves when the situation arises. and the reason that limits his metagame? well, once the competition realises a way to prevent or defend against your best option, you all of a sudden have peole questioning if Gn is top teir anymore etc etc.

Thats why it seems at a standstill. They figured out that our bst option out of Dthrow was Dsmash, then they decided to roll or tech, and we decided to tech chase with Usmash, and when they see THAT coming, they do something to protect etc etc.

my point is, if we'd stop being so anal about how to play GnW "properly", we'd get a lot further because we wouldnt limit our thinking to "only use what works best 100% of the time"

JustKindaBoredUKno

Smash Lord
imo the thing which is limiting GnW's metagame advancement more than anything is the seemingly solid belief that only one thing should always be done any given situation, that being the "best" or "safest" tactic.

so far the GnW community has defined pretty much what are the bottomline "best" moves to use in a given situation and it seems to me that you all are too hell bent on performing these moves, and only these moves when the situation arises. and the reason that limits his metagame? well, once the competition realises a way to prevent or defend against your best option, you all of a sudden have peole questioning if Gn is top teir anymore etc etc.

Thats why it seems at a standstill. They figured out that our bst option out of Dthrow was Dsmash, then they decided to roll or tech, and we decided to tech chase with Usmash, and when they see THAT coming, they do something to protect etc etc.

my point is, if we'd stop being so anal about how to play GnW "properly", we'd get a lot further because we wouldnt limit our thinking to "only use what works best 100% of the time"
as i stated in the other thread, improvement comes with playing. But what a lot of people don't get is that g&w is good BECAUSE of these certain moves that don't limit g&w. Bair is his best approach. g&w really doesn't have many options on approaching, plain and simple. You take away his best and he's not as good.

Thats the point of this thread, to discuss new approach possibilities and experiment as a community. Of course, no one seems to understand the definition of a community anymore, so this thread might as well be closed.

JPOBS

Smash Hero
as i stated in the other thread, improvement comes with playing. But what a lot of people don't get is that g&w is good BECAUSE of these certain moves that don't limit g&w. Bair is his best approach. g&w really doesn't have many options on approaching, plain and simple. You take away his best and he's not as good.

Thats the point of this thread, to discuss new approach possibilities and experiment as a community. Of course, no one seems to understand the definition of a community anymore, so this thread might as well be closed.
You realize that what you just said was "if you take away a characters strongest attribute, that character wont be as good" right?

Well no-freaking-duh. This is what im talking about. You and the rest of the community are more worried about "what happens if my opponent does X...i cant do Y anymore and therefore i lose" instead of trying to find a way to NOT let your opponent "take away his best approach" in the first place.

So instead you want to completely revamp a Great charatcer on a faulty basis.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom