• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fix Super Smash Bros.!

Oracle Link

Smash Master
I am glad that gimmicks are currently in conversation because its the right way to do a Smash sequel!
Making Bosses and Enemys playable would be amazing just make nothing exclusive to single player!
For example let me create my own Spirit Battles!
Also Fixing the music selection would be pretty cool:

Kirby needs some more not sakurai music!
First remove the remix and use the Original Zero two theme instead!
THIS MASKED DEDEDE THEME:
Use THIS Galacta knight theme:
Star allies may have so much good music but this will have to do:
Because Forgotten land is so popular it gets Preferential treatment:
Meta Knight theme:
Final Boss theme:
Morpho Theme:

Mother really needs more battle themes:
Battle Against a Flipant Foe
Sanctuary Guardian/ battle against a Dangerous Foe
Mother 2 Battle theme Medly
Porky means Buisness/ Cease to exist
The first bit would remain the same while the second part would be remixed! also call it cease to exist!
Mother 3 Battle medly!
Now for the Overworld themes:
Just remove the snowman part from onetts remix
A Happy sounding Tazmilly Remix (this version is called happy town!)
Thats about it!

I might do more later!

Quillion

Smash Hero
Make rolls and spotdodges laggier
At fresh, stale, or both? I still think dodge staling is a good way to have actually useful dodges without them being spammable.

make smash attacks laggier, make tilts less laggy
Smashes should probably have greater endlag for the speedsters tbh. Glaciers should have less windup and endlag.

Letting the traditional heavies actually combo with good tilts would be sweet, but I still want them to ditch move staling for combo decay.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
One thing that does baffle me is the script data for Dedede's forward smash. Extended hitboxes can't interpolate, and as a consequence, his forward smash's frame data ends up having blindspots, which is not a good thing to have for an attack that has a lot of start-up lag.

At least Ultimate made fixed knockback hitboxes ignore all knockback modifiers (except for the modifiers that are exclusive to Giga Bowser), so even metallic fighters would end up flinching to such hitboxes.

Last edited:

Quillion

Smash Hero
One thing that does baffle me is the script data for Dedede's forward smash. Extended hitboxes can't interpolate, and as a consequence, his forward smash's frame data ends up having blindspots, which is not a good thing to have for an attack that has a lot of start-up lag.

At least Ultimate made fixed knockback hitboxes ignore all knockback modifiers (except for the modifiers that are exclusive to Giga Bowser), so even metallic fighters would end up flinching to such hitboxes.
What do you mean by "interpolate"?

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Okay, so I got some questions…
1. How do you guys think Smash fares as a celebration / gathering of Nintendo All-Stars?
2. How do you guys think Smash fares as a celebration of gaming history?
3. How do you guys think Smash fares as a party game?
4. How do you guys think Smash fares as a fighting game?

…And with that, do you guys think that Smash Bros. would be better of if it committed to one theming and one genre?
1. Up untill Smash 4, decently well. Ultimate focussed too much on third party additions I felt, even if they added big missing first party characters as K.Rool and Ridley.
2. Doing this very well actually I feel, they choose the right third party picks outside of Joker.
3. Not so much, I would prefer if they didn't focus on this aspect too much. Items are ****, free for all will never be balanced and thus shouldn't direct a character's moveset.
4. It's definitely getting better since Smash 4, Ultimate seems to be taken more seriously as fighting game. I think it would be better if they incorperate more traditional fighting game mechanics, and introducing fighting game characters was a good start for this.

Quillion

Smash Hero
Honestly, I'd rather almost any proposed Smash spin-off be given to a single series instead of made a crossover. Instead of traditional Smash, give me a traditional Donkey Kong fighter or something.
Nintendo vs Capcom shouldn't even be a spin-off. It needs its own identity distinct from Smash.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Honestly, I'd rather almost any proposed Smash spin-off be given to a single series instead of made a crossover. Instead of traditional Smash, give me a traditional Donkey Kong fighter or something.
I'd take anything as a new Donkey Kong game, so in this regard I'll agree.

They could also just do a game like Pokken, and do that with a similar concept of Smash, but not name it Smash.

Quillion

Smash Hero
I might as well list my suggestions to improve single-player and additional content. I'll be reiterating a few of these from previously in the thread.

TBH, quite a bit of the individual parts of the meager 1P content in Ultimate are pretty good by themselves. There just needs to be more on top of that.

Spirits
  • Change them to "Spirit Cards" and give them descriptions. The Spirit system is already really good to begin with, but if they're going to replace Trophies, they might as well make them look like IRL collectibles.
Classic Mode
  • Keep it mostly like Ultimate, but with the following additions:
    • Add the ability to play as any character on any other character's route. However, you would have to clear the default route of the character you want to play, and you would have to clear the other character's route to play on it too.
    • Add a "random" route that acts like Melee's. You would have to clear the character's default route before you can play as that character on the random route as well.
Adventure Mode
  • From previously in this thread, it should be divided into several "mini Adventures", like Mario Adventure, Zelda Adventure, Metroid Adventure, Pokémon Adventure, Fire Emblem Adventure, Xenoblade Adventure, etc.

Each Adventure would only be three stages plus a boss, with each being a "summary" of the series as a whole. For example, Mario Adventure would involve running in a grassland, then an underground level, then finally Bowser's Castle, and then you fight Giga Bowser at the end. The other Adventures would be like that in different franchises. Of course, the staple enemies and visuals from each franchise would be represented.
Stage Builder
  • Add some of the props that were in Brawl's plus more on top of that. Also add a square-building option for those who have trouble with steadying their hands.
Other
  • Brawl-style Target Test, but with multiple stages for each difficulty level (three seems good).
  • Bring back the other Multi-Man modes: 10-man (Decade Smash), 3-minute (Endurance Smash), Rival Smash (plus Multiplayer), and Endless.
  • Add a boss rush mode, but only if there are enough bosses to make it work.

Quillion

Smash Hero
Here's something I thought of a while back:

What if we had a button for kick normals and a button for punch normals?

It could widen the amount of moves that a character has, but on the flip side, we'd still have the tedious "tap stick" Smash input. Maybe it could be like Multiversus where there are only tilts and those tilts can be charged.

Baysha

Smash Ace
Here's something I thought of a while back:

What if we had a button for kick normals and a button for punch normals?

It could widen the amount of moves that a character has, but on the flip side, we'd still have the tedious "tap stick" Smash input. Maybe it could be like Multiversus where there are only tilts and those tilts can be charged.
I feel like this isn't the best idea. For one thing, giving characters more moves does not make a better game. If a game has too many moves per-character, it can make a game seem bloated and overly complicated, especially to the casual audience that Smash aims for. There is also the issue of being locked in to making punches and kicks for every fighter. This could make moves feel less unique as the developers have to both make them fit into their dedicated molds and aren't allowed to go for more creative attack styles. Another issue is that this restricts the body types of fighters to always be bipedal humanoids. What qualifies as a "punch" for someone like Piranha Plant?

Quillion

Smash Hero
I feel like this isn't the best idea. For one thing, giving characters more moves does not make a better game. If a game has too many moves per-character, it can make a game seem bloated and overly complicated, especially to the casual audience that Smash aims for. There is also the issue of being locked in to making punches and kicks for every fighter. This could make moves feel less unique as the developers have to both make them fit into their dedicated molds and aren't allowed to go for more creative attack styles. Another issue is that this restricts the body types of fighters to always be bipedal humanoids. What qualifies as a "punch" for someone like Piranha Plant?
There's always the Balrog/Dudley approach, where the "kick" button isn't necessarily used for kicks. (Balrog, Dudley) Both get quite a bit of mileage out of only using punches for example.

For something like Bower Jr., maybe his punch-button moves would use his paintbrush while his kick-button moves would use his Clown Car. For Piranha Plant, its kick-button moves would use its leaves while its punch-button moves would use its mouth.

But yeah, too many moves could be an issue, which is why it probably would require the subtraction of Smash attacks and make it so that only certain tilts are kill moves (not so different from aerials actually).

Quillion

Smash Hero
That honestly sounds complicated.
It kinda does now that I think of it. Also, assuming that Smash attacks would have to be removed to make up for it. it's really not that different from the idea from just mapping Smashes to Y.

It does make me think though: I initially thought that a neutral Y could just be a Side Smash, but what if neutral Y was an actual attack of its own?

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
A punch and kick button really isn't needed for Smash because of the inherent air mobility platform fighters provide - this is a genre where even the smallest arenas give you tons of leg room and characters can bound 10 times higher than any tradfighter character, there isn't really a "top" or "bottom" of a fighter to specifically aim for.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Smash Specials, Smash aerials, having more ground combo opportunities with strings and a button for weaker and stronger regular attacks would be a great fit for Smash I feel. Might make Smash a little more of a traditional fighter, but that bridge has already been crossed with the many fighting game characters I feel.

Quillion

Smash Hero
A punch and kick button really isn't needed for Smash because of the inherent air mobility platform fighters provide - this is a genre where even the smallest arenas give you tons of leg room and characters can bound 10 times higher than any tradfighter character, there isn't really a "top" or "bottom" of a fighter to specifically aim for.
There's shield angling tbf. Maybe there should be a way to de-overlap spitdodging and low shield angling.

Smash Specials, Smash aerials, having more ground combo opportunities with strings and a button for weaker and stronger regular attacks would be a great fit for Smash I feel. Might make Smash a little more of a traditional fighter, but that bridge has already been crossed with the many fighting game characters I feel.
Yes to Smash aerials, yes to a "burst dash" mechanic that increases ground followups, but what input would Smash specials have?

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Yes to Smash aerials, yes to a "burst dash" mechanic that increases ground followups, but what input would Smash specials have?
Basically, like Samus's Missiles. So give everyone a sort of extra Special Move with this, but maybe allow for imputs for Up and Down Special Smashes too, and also, make every Neutral B a charge up Special (light variations still being possible too of course). And add a sort of "Super Smash meter" that serves as "MP" basically, so super strong moves aren't spammable.

Quillion

Smash Hero
Basically, like Samus's Missiles. So give everyone a sort of extra Special Move with this, but maybe allow for imputs for Up and Down Special Smashes too, and also, make every Neutral B a charge up Special (light variations still being possible too of course). And add a sort of "Super Smash meter" that serves as "MP" basically, so super strong moves aren't spammable.
If we need a "super special" mechanic mapping it either to Y or A+B will work a lot better than relying on the tap-stick input.

Also, why would we need to make neutral B a charge special universally?

Quillion

Smash Hero
Sakurai's newest video on fighting games and how back then they had little counterplay to combos has got me thinking of ways to break out of approaches and combos.

Melee's L-Canceling, or rather the potential to make the opponent drop an L-Cancel, offered a way to break out of pressure, but it requires a very repetitive and arbitrary input even outside of pressure situations.

So I'd say they should learn from Guilty Gear and have a "burst" mechanic. That way there's a way to counterplay against pressure and combos as well as counter-counterplay to it just like L-Canceling.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Sakurai's newest video on fighting games and how back then they had little counterplay to combos has got me thinking of ways to break out of approaches and combos.

Melee's L-Canceling, or rather the potential to make the opponent drop an L-Cancel, offered a way to break out of pressure, but it requires a very repetitive and arbitrary input even outside of pressure situations.

So I'd say they should learn from Guilty Gear and have a "burst" mechanic. That way there's a way to counterplay against pressure and combos as well as counter-counterplay to it just like L-Canceling.
Honestly, I don't think Smash really needs a burst mechanic since DI solves the issue of "cutscene combos" well enough, provided the game's combos are designed to be escapable. Rivals of Aether does this really well where basically all of its combos are DI-dependent, which enables it to have really strong and satisfying combos without being too frustrating. Of course Sakurai did the opposite where he made DI way weaker in Smash 4 for some reason and has been trying to downplay the existence of combos ever since (unless you're DLC :ultsteve::ultmythra::ultkazuya:), which was genuinely a HUGE step backward in my opinion.

Quillion

Smash Hero
Honestly, I don't think Smash really needs a burst mechanic since DI solves the issue of "cutscene combos" well enough, provided the game's combos are designed to be escapable. Rivals of Aether does this really well where basically all of its combos are DI-dependent, which enables it to have really strong and satisfying combos without being too frustrating. Of course Sakurai did the opposite where he made DI way weaker in Smash 4 for some reason and has been trying to downplay the existence of combos ever since (unless you're DLC :ultsteve::ultmythra::ultkazuya:), which was genuinely a HUGE step backward in my opinion.
Thing is, not only is DI not explained in game, it is honestly hard to explain. And I don't think tutorializing the mechanic will fix the problem since the game explaining it to the player is boring, optional or not.

And just off my chest, it's hard to know what players even want for combos. Because if you make them easy to escape, there are inherently less combos. Make them hard to escape, and there's less room for counterplay. Clearly I don't understand something here; if someone can explain what kind of combos suit a knockback platform fighter, I'd genuinely like to understand it.

That said, perhaps bursting shouldn't be a combo breaker, but more a pressure/followup breaker like forcing an L-Cancel drop already is, but without the need for a perpetual, repetitive input.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Thing is, not only is DI not explained in game, it is honestly hard to explain. And I don't think tutorializing the mechanic will fix the problem since the game explaining it to the player is boring, optional or not.

And just off my chest, it's hard to know what players even want for combos. Because if you make them easy to escape, there are inherently less combos. Make them hard to escape, and there's less room for counterplay. Clearly I don't understand something here; if someone can explain what kind of combos suit a knockback platform fighter, I'd genuinely like to understand it.

That said, perhaps bursting shouldn't be a combo breaker, but more a pressure/followup breaker like forcing an L-Cancel drop already is, but without the need for a perpetual, repetitive input.
Not to be a broken record or anything, but Rivals tutorializes DI just fine. It even has a handy visual to show how holding a direction will affect the launch angle. It's not really a super foreign concept, the game just has to be willing to explain its mechanics to the player in the first place.

Games with more escapable combos do not inherently have "less" combos than games with less escapable combos. In Rivals, nearly every combo is escapable, but that game still has way more and more robust combos than any Smash game. Similarly, anime fighters with a burst option are able to have crazy combos because they have the burst. The idea is less to make combos just straight-up not work and more to give each character more diverse combo routes and give players the ability to escape if their opponent doesn't read their DI correctly. Think 50/50's, if you DI in I can hit you with this, if you DI out I can hit you with that. In this sense, yes, there wouldn't be a lot of, if any "true" combos and there would be mostly strings. However, this serves as a happy medium where there's a healthy amount of player interaction within combos, but players are still rewarded with long strings for reading their opponent consistently.

MasterCheef

Smash Ace
1 adding these characters _ note more definitely could be added
1A = Ahri _ replaces _ Joker
1B = Master Chief _ replaces _ B&K
1C = Impa ( AoC ) _ replaces _ Min-Min

2 make the final smashes only come from breaking the smash ball

3 add an ( aerial smash attack ) button

4 Rework some character's movesets like ; ( Samus & Dark Samus ) & Ganondorf & Mario & Kirby

5 give us lots of great casual stages like Poke Floats.

6 Nostage Hazards which _ KO players / CPUs

7 give us lots of good competitive stages

8 give the option to turn on or off ledge hanging

9 give us better _ Assist Trophies _ which act more like Mini Bosses

Quote Reply
Report Edit

Quillion

Smash Hero
Not to be a broken record or anything, but Rivals tutorializes DI just fine. It even has a handy visual to show how holding a direction will affect the launch angle. It's not really a super foreign concept, the game just has to be willing to explain its mechanics to the player in the first place.

Games with more escapable combos do not inherently have "less" combos than games with less escapable combos. In Rivals, nearly every combo is escapable, but that game still has way more and more robust combos than any Smash game. Similarly, anime fighters with a burst option are able to have crazy combos because they have the burst. The idea is less to make combos just straight-up not work and more to give each character more diverse combo routes and give players the ability to escape if their opponent doesn't read their DI correctly. Think 50/50's, if you DI in I can hit you with this, if you DI out I can hit you with that. In this sense, yes, there wouldn't be a lot of, if any "true" combos and there would be mostly strings. However, this serves as a happy medium where there's a healthy amount of player interaction within combos, but players are still rewarded with long strings for reading their opponent consistently.
That makes sense. Combo mitigating mechanics are needed for modern fighting games, and it does make sense that Smash 4-on has weakened DI to go with the limited combo options.

But I do want more combo-friendly mechanics in Smash. Such as:
  • "Wavedash button" with the ability to cancel jabs, tilts, and case-by-case specials with it.
  • Make up-tilts and up-airs cancelable early with jump.
  • Maybe a "wavedash jump" to make up for the lack of ground-air momentum after Melee to give a good aerial chase option. It would also open up some characters to be dependent on burst movement while others are dependent on running.
But yeah, 50/50 semi-vortexy DI situations are a good way to mitigate combos in Smash.

Still think an exclusively approach-breaking burst would be a good replacement for forcing an L-Cancel drop though.

Quillion

Smash Hero
What if parrying was a universal reflector?

It would bring back the unmentioned property of a few frames of Melee's powershielding being a reflector, and it can be more lenient than such since parrying is more risky.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
Not really a "fix" per say, but I've had a go at reworking WOL to better fit my "Smash shouldn't be serious" philosophy, as well as work around a select few gameplay flaws like the easiness of Spirit enhancement
SUPER SMASH BROS. ULTIMATE - RISING GAUNTLET

This story mode has an extremely simple plot - You’re a rookie, and want to rise to the top. All characters can be played as from the start and be switched at any point, with separate “face” and “heel” qualifiers for each character - faces get cheered for victory, while heels get booed, the crowd is completely absent in training battles, but way more engaged than it was in even 64 for rival and boss battles

TRAINING AND ALLIES:
These are essentially just Spirits, as the gameplay of the mode is borderline identical to WOL. Instead of being brainwashed evil souls, these are just the characters - albeit represented as PNGs - setting up challenges for you to overcome. They all have non-voiced win, loss, and start quotes for their battles (sans silent characters). Spirit summons, shops, and food don’t exist, but ally enhancement does

EXPERIENCE AND RIVALS BATTLES:
Each individual character has an experience level that increases the more they’re played as, weaker spirits gives more experience when used - this powers them up and gives them more slots for allies

Walking through the map, you’ll walk into boxing rings - here you HAVE TO fight 4 characters in a row, and will be trapped in there until you face them. You can choose the order, but don’t get any second chances. Winning gives the opponent a lot of experience, losing only gives a little - generally, the opponents here will be ones you haven’t let get much experience, so boxing rings allow you to be able to swap out a character without them being too underleveled for your part of the story.

BOSSES:
Traditional Smash boss fights do appear, along with solo battles against buffed stage bosses and allies for both - however, the final boss isn’t big, isn’t bad, and isn’t even really a boss, it’s just a random fighter from the roster! Kind of… the character choice for final boss is the single character you’ve played as least (or a random one of them if you’ve got multiple 0-played) with a random alt costume - not just in the story mode, but the entire game. They don’t have allies, but they’re so fast (both in movement and attacks) and strong you may need to return and grind for allies - take them on, Battlefield-Form FD with no items (unless an ally gives you one), to win the title of THE Super Smash Brother!

Quillion

Smash Hero
Not really a "fix" per say, but I've had a go at reworking WOL to better fit my "Smash shouldn't be serious" philosophy, as well as work around a select few gameplay flaws like the easiness of Spirit enhancement

This story mode has an extremely simple plot - You’re a rookie, and want to rise to the top. All characters can be played as from the start and be switched at any point, with separate “face” and “heel” qualifiers for each character - faces get cheered for victory, while heels get booed, the crowd is completely absent in training battles, but way more engaged than it was in even 64 for rival and boss battles

TRAINING AND ALLIES:
These are essentially just Spirits, as the gameplay of the mode is borderline identical to WOL. Instead of being brainwashed evil souls, these are just the characters - albeit represented as PNGs - setting up challenges for you to overcome. They all have non-voiced win, loss, and start quotes for their battles (sans silent characters). Spirit summons, shops, and food don’t exist, but ally enhancement does

Each individual character has an experience level that increases the more they’re played as, weaker spirits gives more experience when used - this powers them up and gives them more slots for allies

Walking through the map, you’ll walk into boxing rings - here you HAVE TO fight 4 characters in a row, and will be trapped in there until you face them. You can choose the order, but don’t get any second chances. Winning gives the opponent a lot of experience, losing only gives a little - generally, the opponents here will be ones you haven’t let get much experience, so boxing rings allow you to be able to swap out a character without them being too underleveled for your part of the story.

BOSSES:
Traditional Smash boss fights do appear, along with solo battles against buffed stage bosses and allies for both - however, the final boss isn’t big, isn’t bad, and isn’t even really a boss, it’s just a random fighter from the roster! Kind of… the character choice for final boss is the single character you’ve played as least (or a random one of them if you’ve got multiple 0-played) with a random alt costume - not just in the story mode, but the entire game. They don’t have allies, but they’re so fast (both in movement and attacks) and strong you may need to return and grind for allies - take them on, Battlefield-Form FD with no items (unless an ally gives you one), to win the title of THE Super Smash Brother!
Your idea seems more suited for a Classic Mode. Honestly, a Classic Mode with an in-universe tournament aesthetic would be neat. You're put on a bracket, and you can see everyone who's advancing through the ranks. Of course, sometimes your opponents will still be teams, metal, or giant, and every few rounds you can play a bonus minigame. Kinda like how ARMS handles its arcade mode.

Oracle Link

Smash Master

TRAINING AND ALLIES:

BOSSES:
I dont really have an issue with serious Smash Although seriously Sakurai stop killing of the smash Roster the sora reveal Trailer is the third time this happens!

Quillion

Smash Hero
I know I've been bashing a lot of the "unique mechanics" from time to time, but I've just been thinking:

What if more of them can be moved to being more "visible" on the fighter rather than having to glance at the UI? Like say Villager and Isabelle could have an icon above him that shows that they have something pocketed. Or Sora has his command deck appear next to him briefly.

I tolerate gimmicks like Inkling's ink tank or Joker's Persona significantly more than those which are only visible on the UI, as it's more akin to DK having his "head smoke" or Samus with her stored energy for stored charge attacks. So perhaps it would be much better for game design if they were more visible in gameplay rather than the UI.

Speaking of Arsene, I think the rage mechanic would be a lot more fun visually plus less redundant for certain characters if it had visually distinct rage appearances. Like Mario getting a fiery aura or Lucario having his aura strengthen.

Quillion

Smash Hero
I've been thinking about how some want stronger DI as it's a good mechanic that helps survivability while still rewarding skill.

So what if DI can be tailored to each character rather than it being a universal factor? Combo/string-oriented moves can have thin DI on less mobile characters and wide DI on more mobile characters, while kill moves universally have wide DI.

Given that SDI and hitstun can be tailored to each move, it's probably not out of the question.

BlueCRE

Smash Apprentice
I've been thinking about how some want stronger DI as it's a good mechanic that helps survivability while still rewarding skill.

So what if DI can be tailored to each character rather than it being a universal factor? Combo/string-oriented moves can have thin DI on less mobile characters and wide DI on more mobile characters, while kill moves universally have wide DI.

Given that SDI and hitstun can be tailored to each move, it's probably not out of the question.
Yo! Quillion! Did you ever see Historia? I was curious to ask because I had pulled and credited some of your ideas.

Top Bottom