• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Final Smash 4, a Brawl/Melee tournament, June 28th, San Antonio TX

Status
Not open for further replies.

The MC Clusky

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0404-6991-4531
King Mosquito has yet to be clear on how he is restricted them (quote: "I don't want whatever the hell the real infinite is" ^ )
I will be discussing this matter with Hylian seeing that he is an expert on what the IC's can do. I will be more clear about this rule after that.

Hylian, my AIM sn is arthursaurus. Hit me up when you can.

LeeHarris

Smash Lord
We all know the facts, DugFinn. Hylian, I, and the SBR have been debating it since the topic came up.

We know he didn't ban the chain grab, obviously. Then he'd have to ban D3's and Falco's.

I don't think the infinite should be banned until it proves to be a problem. A lot of people would have picked up the ICs and advanced their metagame. If it proved to be something that someone could consistently gay everyone 0-death at a tournament with, then it should have been banned. So far, that hasn't happened. I already have a ton of strategies to never get grabbed and any decent player can avoid getting 0-deathed. Now people are going to avoid the ICs in Texas and the character will become stale. It is easy to ban something and very hard to undo the ban.

Either way, it doesn't affect me other than the fact that I don't get to use my anti IC strategies :(

Kal

Smash Champion
Lee, you didn't answer me on the money match. :(

Kal

Smash Champion
How about we walk to the gas station after the MM and just buy the winner any cigar he wants? >_>

K1T3

Smash Lord
Sounds good bro. I've talked to the guys; we'd all love to have you in it. (Once again, if it happens)
We're hoping maybe Kite would join in too if he shows.

PS1 is kinda ehh... but who cares dtilt infi's for me xD
That'd be awesome. It'll be cool chilling with yall again.
I'm not sure if I'm going yet since I only touched brawl once since FS3 which was at another SA tourney that I won. But there've been no tournies since then so no motivation for me to play... I'm doing Starcraft now....
But if I go then I'll try to practice up before the tourney with MrC or someone and we can all crew.
I don't know if I'll be any good but if I am then we should team again.

K1T3

Smash Lord
SA doesn't really have a brawl scene at all, so I don't know if anyone is getting any games in. I'd be willing to play yall though, I really need practice if I'ma go to this thing.

Kyle I meant the game toy soldiers or something like that that it reminded me of was for PS or PS2.
P.S. get starcraft and play me

AnimalTaglits

Smash Cadet
I called The Dpad the other day and they said something about bi-weeklies being organized by Lee Harris. Is that making any headway? I am willing to help if you need it.

Dojo

Smash Champion
That'd be awesome. It'll be cool chilling with yall again.
I'm not sure if I'm going yet since I only touched brawl once since FS3 which was at another SA tourney that I won. But there've been no tournies since then so no motivation for me to play... I'm doing Starcraft now....
But if I go then I'll try to practice up before the tourney with MrC or someone and we can all crew.
I don't know if I'll be any good but if I am then we should team again.

Haha sounds good. We've all been practicing pretty consistently. We've all gotten quite a bit faster now. We all look forward to see everyone again.

The MC Clusky

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0404-6991-4531
So don't need another Brawl vs Melee argument. Most Brawl players will even admit that Melee is a better game. Sharing that opinion, I choose to not to take seriously a game I don't care for. Besides, I'm playing other fighting games now.

http://forums.shoryuken.com/showthread.php?p=5122463

Like that.

I still support this community, which is why I'm still holding this even after being disillusioned with Brawl. Melee still holds a place in my heart, and I'm glad to see others see that too. Just look at the Pound 3 results thread, IT'S STILL GOING.

Back on track people.

LeeHarris

Smash Lord
Melee was a better game, but it was taking noobs way too long to even get close to the technical skill of the players who had been playing for 6 years, so the scene was dying. Brawl revived it and the scene will continue to grow.

It still has a massive scene compared to other 2D fighters.

forkgirl

Smash Lord
wow i just read through a LOT of spam, lol. Are the Austin smashers coming to this?? And who do the Austin players include??

The MC Clusky

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0404-6991-4531
Melee was a better game, but it was taking noobs way too long to even get close to the technical skill of the players who had been playing for 6 years, so the scene was dying. Brawl revived it and the scene will continue to grow.

Sadly I have to agree with you about the size of the Brawl scene, but it's a shame that more people are jumping in simply because it was made easier to play. Also the scene is made up of a lot of little kids and people that simply join because it's the new thing in town. It will take time to see if the Brawl scene will see big numbers that aren't inflated with a bunch of noobs that don't even take the game seriously. Noobs like that don't make a scene. It's the dedicated players that keep it alive. It's also plain to see the massive influx of people in the Brawl boards thanks to the guide listing SWF in the pages.

Also I wouldn't say the scene for Melee was dying necessarily. At FS2 I had tons of new faces. A lot had only been playing for a short time too. Granted Melee has a high learning curve, but that's the case with ALL DEEP GAMES. The reason it seemed to be dying in Texas is because there was a lack of quality events. I held Final Smash and hyped the **** out it and everyone was interested in coming again. Few people travel to attend monthlies or biweeklies.

nakofan64

Smash Apprentice
Ah well, just figured I'd ask where everyone is practicing, but I can offer my place for one night only....next Sunday. My 'rents and sister will be out of town this coming weekend and I'll have to house to myself for the weekend, but I will be going to Austin for pretty much all day Saturday. So how about some games at my place on Sunday? I have a gamecube with Melee (and four controllers) and a PS2 with 3rd Strike, Tekken Tag, Tekken 5 (which I will need to get back from my friend that is borrowing it), Neo Geo Battle Coliseum, and others. I don't have a Wii or PS3, though.

If anyone wants to BBQ, we can do that too. Nothing definite, just an idea. Who's interested?

SuperMajinLink 287

Smash Lord
Ah well, just figured I'd ask where everyone is practicing, but I can offer my place for one night only....next Sunday. My 'rents and sister will be out of town this coming weekend and I'll have to house to myself for the weekend, but I will be going to Austin for pretty much all day Saturday. So how about some games at my place on Sunday? I have a gamecube with Melee (and four controllers) and a PS2 with 3rd Strike, Tekken Tag, Tekken 5 (which I will need to get back from my friend that is borrowing it), Neo Geo Battle Coliseum, and others. I don't have a Wii or PS3, though.

If anyone wants to BBQ, we can do that too. Nothing definite, just an idea. Who's interested?
You play Tekken 5? I'll chill with you after the tournament and get some games in.

The MC Clusky

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0404-6991-4531
wow i just read through a LOT of spam, lol. Are the Austin smashers coming to this?? And who do the Austin players include??
Hylian >.>

Kal doesn't like Brawl but said he'd show up just to play Melee.

I haven't seen/heard from any other Austin people since FS2 so I'm not sure. If you want Xelic to come good luck with that he hates Brawl almost as much as SOS.

Oh and Nakofan64 I'm may be down for that. Are you good at those other fighters? I play a lot of Street Fighter and Guilty Gear these days.

Dr Mario Kart

Smash Apprentice
I think the only Austin players that actually go out of town for anything are myself, Pozer and Hylian.

We never actually play each other except when we meet in tournaments, its weird.

I'm definitely coming to this, and I imagine Pozer and Hylian will as well.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
I think the only Austin players that actually go out of town for anything are myself, Pozer and Hylian.

We never actually play each other except when we meet in tournaments, its weird.

I'm definitely coming to this, and I imagine Pozer and Hylian will as well.
This is correct :).

I might bring Austin and JesusFreak if they feel like it.

I will be there though.

Kal

Smash Champion

I've only been playing Melee for about 10 months, and I'm already about as good as players like Hylian and Jesus Freak, who have been playing for several years. I would say that, for someone who has a slow learning curve, then it would definitely take them a long time. But I feel that people with at least average learning curves just need to play often. Playing every Friday with Xelic, FastLikeTree, Hylian and other Austin smashers is probably what made me as good as I am today, as I don't feel my learning curve is particularly fast. I think that it's really just a matter of how much you play and who you play with.

So far, it's Rayzorium, Hylian and I that are definitely going. I will probably not enter the Brawl tournament, but count me in for Melee. Austin RC might be there. I don't expect to be able to take my mother's van, so I'll take my car, which means I might not be able to bring more than Austin and Rayzorium, as I need room for my television and cube (which don't seem to fit in my trunk).

I'd bet money on Xelic not showing up. If there were any sort of Melee tournament guaranteed to be worthwhile, he might, but considering that Brawl essentially killed the Melee scene with its promises of glory to the n00bs, I doubt any Melee tournament with more than 12 people will happen.

But I'll be there. To most people, I guess that's a reason not to go, but at least we can Fox ditto and stuff.

Broly

Smash Lord
I've only been playing Melee for about 10 months, and I'm already about as good as players like Hylian and Jesus Freak, who have been playing for several years. I would say that, for someone who has a slow learning curve, then it would definitely take them a long time. But I feel that people with at least average learning curves just need to play often. Playing every Friday with Xelic, FastLikeTree, Hylian and other Austin smashers is probably what made me as good as I am today, as I don't feel my learning curve is particularly fast. I think that it's really just a matter of how much you play and who you play with.

So far, it's Rayzorium, Hylian and I that are definitely going. I will probably not enter the Brawl tournament, but count me in for Melee. Austin RC might be there. I don't expect to be able to take my mother's van, so I'll take my car, which means I might not be able to bring more than Austin and Rayzorium, as I need room for my television and cube (which don't seem to fit in my trunk).

I'd bet money on Xelic not showing up. If there were any sort of Melee tournament guaranteed to be worthwhile, he might, but considering that Brawl essentially killed the Melee scene with its promises of glory to the n00bs, I doubt any Melee tournament with more than 12 people will happen.

But I'll be there. To most people, I guess that's a reason not to go, but at least we can Fox ditto and stuff.
10 MM in melee. im tired of hearin hate. ill play melee again just to show ur not sooo great. This goes out to anyone who feels brawl is TOO easy. Like anyone cares anymore. Melee>Brawl... big deal. u up for it Kal?

nakofan64

Smash Apprentice
You play Tekken 5? I'll chill with you after the tournament and get some games in.
Sure thing...I may be a bit out of practice though. I haven't played in a while.

King Mosquito: I'm bigger into Tekken and SNK fighting games (especially Samurai Shodown), but I play a little 3rd Strike every now and then. Guilty Gear can be fun, but I never got too deep into that game.

Also, I am playing Starcraft again since I just put my reserve on Starcraft 2. :-)

The MC Clusky

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0404-6991-4531
10 MM in melee. im tired of hearin hate. ill play melee again just to show ur not sooo great. This goes out to anyone who feels brawl is TOO easy. Like anyone cares anymore. Melee>Brawl... big deal. u up for it Kal?
Quit trying to talk trash Broly, you got owned in Guilty Gear at Batb2.

Besides, whatever your opinion of his skill is, Kal didn't place in Melee, but he's already won 2 Brawl tournaments. Doesn't that say anything?

Kal

Smash Champion
I didn't ever say I was any good. What the **** is your problem Broly?

Brawl does practically promise glory to mediocre players. Every n00b thinks he stands a chance at becoming the new top-pro, as Melee required technical skill and Brawl doesn't. No one disagrees with this; it's the reason the Brawl scene is so huge. So stop acting like I'm making a subjective statement when it's an objective one.

I'll accept your money match. It's not like you beating me will prove anything, now will it?

forkgirl

Smash Lord
but i thought all the melee players were coming...and were gonna play melee??!?!?? Like enough for a good melee tournament. my hopes have just been shattered. Although i guess less people means less people to beat ;D ;D ;D *trash talk* xelic should come anyways. We can be in the back playing ddr :D :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom