• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Film Discussion

unreon

Smash Ace
argh arrow spoiled the avatar movie for meeeee =(

Anyways, Lion King still remains my favourite movie of all time.

In other news, I always knew I hated The Phantom Menace, but I couldn't articulate all my reasons why. This video series reminded me why:

Star Wars: The Phantom Menace Review (70 min long)

Don't be turned off by the voice, or the length of the videos. Take them one per day if you want. It's actually quite interesting on an educational level, and you become acclimatised to the voice after the first few minutes. Super, super hilarious to boot - by the end of the second video I garuantee you'll be hooked. If nothing else, watch part 6 because that one is amazing.

TakFR

Smash Lord
NNID
TakAE86
Amazing movies I have seen over the holidays:

Inglorious Basterds
The Professional (Also called LEON)
Fight Club

All of which are definatly in my top 5 favorite movies ever =)

Pete278

Smash Lord
i liked avater... even if the key points were predictable

i think the twist was the tree was more valuable than the ore

the various themes of enviromentalism and polictics involved that discuss the future of earth :X
Except that when you have a plot that bad, it doesn't really help your case. 'Guys, we can't knock the trees down, we have a mental memory link to them via weird tentacle things that shouldn't have evolved for any real reason!' Seriously, why would an animal evolve that? Especially since they wouldn't have all evolved them at once.

Isorropia

Smash Apprentice
Except that when you have a plot that bad, it doesn't really help your case. 'Guys, we can't knock the trees down, we have a mental memory link to them via weird tentacle things that shouldn't have evolved for any real reason!' Seriously, why would an animal evolve that? Especially since they wouldn't have all evolved them at once.
That's not the plot, that's the setting. The plot is the story that unfolds throughout the film. In avatar, the plot is by no means bad, it's just a story that has been told many times before.

As for the setting: Do you require ALL scifi movies to subscribe to your idea of what is and isn't possible?

EverAlert

Smash Master
NNID
EVAL89
3DS FC
2664-2214-3431
I need to see Avatar. Aside from Sherlock Holmes (already seen it, great film), it's the only other current film I'm really interested in seeing.

As for the setting: Do you require ALL scifi movies to subscribe to your idea of what is and isn't possible?
Haha, bar films based on history or other true stories, you can really pose this question about any film genre. (I'm by no means knocking your question, rather I'm making a point of how good a question it is. :p)

In other news, I always knew I hated The Phantom Menace, but I couldn't articulate all my reasons why. This video series reminded me why
Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope has and always will be my favourite movie. Was ahead of it's time, and still entertains millions. <3
I actually watched the original trilogy recently, and I have to agree, they were far ahead of their time and amazing films. I'd probably put either The Empire Strikes Back or Return of the Jedi as my all-time favourite though (can't really decide, but I notably enjoyed them better than A New Hope), like most Star Wars fans haha.

As for the new trilogy, I can't really bring myself to dislike them, mostly because The Phantom Menace is what got me excited about Star Wars in the first place. I can't remember if I watched the original trilogy on VHS before or after The Phantom Menace, but watching that in the cinema is really the first defining Star Wars experience in my memory. From what I've watched so far, I can't really disagree with the review unreon linked, but again, The Phantom Menace is the first time I ever remember being excited about Star Wars so it's special to me and I still can't really dislike it despite it being comparatively terrible to the originals.

Ironically, in terms of books and other expanded universe stuff, I find myself more interested in the old republic/pre-NT stuff rather than the empire/new republic/post-OT stuff. Also notice how my favourite Star Wars' are the ones that Lucas didn't direct. lawl

Oh well.

...Ellipsis...

Smash Lord
The Professional (Also called LEON)
Thankyou so much I have been looking for Leon for about a year, I didn't know it was also called the profesional, now I should be able to finally find it.

Some of my favorite movies. Hot Fuzz, so funny watched it more than 10 times, it never gets old british humour is the best. Apocalypse Now, Godfather Part 2, Dark .Knight, Princess Mononoke, Kill Bill

SummonerAU

Smash Lord
I think the only really bad thing about the Phantom Menace movie is that it doesn't really fit into the rest of the series. All the others have giant armies and the like but Phantom Menace has a single planet that highly developed (Naboo that is). It just sticks certain things into the story so they COULD make the next two movies. I like Episode 1 more than Episode 3 just because of the world Episode 1 introduces. Without episode one, there wouldn't be amazing games like Knights of the Old Republic. I treat Episode 3 as filler for the series.

Of the original trilogy, I liked Empire Strikes Back the most but I think the best scene from the three was Death Star Trench Run in Episode IV.

Moving on from Star Wars...

Movies I liked and come to mind: A Clockwork Orange, Kill Bill 1 and 2, Indian Jones, V for Vendetta, Pitch Black, Chronicles of Riddick, Constantine, Blade Runner, Underworld, Pan's Labyrinth
Movies I liked and can't think of: Countless others

Speaking of V for Vendetta, normally when I've gone through the original source material and then watch a movie adaptation, I'll typically dislike it but this isn't the case for V for Vendetta. Maybe it's because I read the comic after seeing the movie.

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
I dont understand how you can watch and enjoy a movie with vin diesel in it...

unreon

Smash Ace
...'we have a mental memory link to them via weird tentacle things that shouldn't have evolved for any real reason!' Seriously, why would an animal evolve that? Especially since they wouldn't have all evolved them at once.
There's no reason why you can't evolve those things. Symbiotic relationships evolve over and over all over the place. Digestion of cellulose, for example, is done by bovines by bacteria lining their stomach. Similar relationships occur many times over in herbivores. Also, convergent evolution doesn't have to evolve at the same time - look at shark and dolphin bodies, where the dolphins formed similar dorsal and ventral fins many millions of years after sharks.

As far as the rest of the movie goes, it's almost spot-on with its science. Especially with regards to the cosmology. Stuff like the main planet occupying 3/4 of the sky round the clock, how fast the planets are spinning, etcetc. The scences with bioilluminesence is particularly gorgeous.

But yeah, like Iso said it's been done many times before, especially feeling Disney-like.

If you guys haven't watched Zombieland, I highly recommend it. A great parody on zombie flicks, lots of humour, all-round good time that is a great watch with a group of friends.

TakFR

Smash Lord
NNID
TakAE86
Go see Inception if people who haven't already seen it. It's soooo good, p.s if you have seen it and don't understand it you are obviously ******** =P

TakFR

Smash Lord
NNID
TakAE86
Spoliers man =P

Probably due to the fact that he was in the dream world for most of the movie, and afterwards the charges on him were dropped

Hater

Smash Ace
Unreon that "description" of inception is actually wrong in a few places tbh i liked the movie but if the IQ of the general population of the world has recently dropped a few hundred points, I cannot understand a person's inability to grasp that storyline or it being "mindblowing"

LOL pretty funny

Bsrk_

Smash Ace
You know they're planning a remake of "Escape From New York"_ I don't see how it could be done without Kurt_ Also "The Crow" is being rewritten by Nick Cave_ I hope he gets John Hillcoat (The Road, The Proposition) to direct it >_<

Inception is such a breath of fresh air this year_ I was starting to go insane with all the **** that's been riddling the cinemas so far_ "Scott Pilgrim vs The World" soon_!!

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
You know they're planning a remake of "Escape From New York"_ I don't see how it could be done without Kurt
yeah they were planning a remake of new york in 2007, which got cancelled, but they've started it up again this year.

imo david hayter for pliskin.
and if they cast pliskin as christian bale I will kill someone

Dekar289

Smash Hero
live-action/cgi yogi bear movie
justin timberlake as bobo
wtf lollol

Top Bottom