• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fighting Game Discussion

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
There's tech skill, but how you execute when you've found your opening and predict your opponent with the right thought pattern is what counts when accounting DI and their own train of thought.
I don't know about you, but that's really just punishing your opponent and unleashing a combo on him/her. There are other ways of punishing though, namely okizeme which I guess you would be familiar as tech chasing but it generally deals with the wakeup game.

And for what everyone else said, you guys are absolutely right. I can agree to that. Smash Bros. seems to stand out the most though, I find, when it comes to using mind over memory (if that makes sense to anyone. mindgames/predicting over button sequences for combos)
Just out curiosity, and in case I forgot, do you play any other fighting games besides Smash? As I mentioned earlier, I think the mental aspect only seems bigger because everything else was diminished.

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
I play Melty Blood Actress Again, BlazBlue: Continuum Shift, Tatsunoko vs. Capcom, and Dissidia Final Fantasy (though this one is so unorthadox that it doesn't really count ahah); I gotta get serious about Super Street Fighter IV though down the line. I have it.

There is much more emphasis on button input/timing in more conventional fighters like the Street Fighter series and games I mentioned, I feel, when you factor in the capability to use your head in those situations.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Maybe it's different for me since I play El Fuerte. It can be mentally exhausting just playing as him.

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
For me:

KoF 98/2002
3rd Strike
SF IV/SSF IV
MvC 2
TvC: UAS
GGXXAC
Virtua Fighter 4
Last Blade 2
Vampire Saviour 2

These are in the area and readily available for arcade play (save TvC UAS and SSF IV and last Blade 2), so I'm not going to include games that I really played as growing up/getting int other scene (2nd Impact, Alpha 2, Samurai Shodown II, Smash, etc.) or games that I only mess around in (Still Smash, Super II, BlazBlue, Tekken etc.).

I only enter few tournaments, most of them MvC 2, and I got 4th place in the TvC tourney at Fanime.

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
Maybe it's different for me since I play El Fuerte. It can be mentally exhausting just playing as him.
....aaand of course there's the quirky characters like yours that find a way to almost break the norm. XD I can understand where you can see the mental work that comes into play for that much.

ZMan

Smash Master
cromartie high school aka albuquerque, nm
try kakyoin in jojos for an execution heavy character. his most damaging combos are insane to perform (then again this applies to most characters in jojos). why i force myself to main him i never know.

people who play dhalsim or ics or peach have mental disorders

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
I've been playing Marth in Melee a lot here lately...to the point where, god I probably suck at Brawl now, but Melee is so much more fun =/.

SirroMinus1

SiNiStEr MiNiStEr
NNID
Ajarudaru

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Justice High is an awesome game. Just had to say that. I play it with my friend occasionally still. We use top tiers. lolol. More fun that way.

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
Justice High is an awesome game. Just had to say that. I play it with my friend occasionally still. We use top tiers. lolol. More fun that way.
You mean Project Justice? I can't believe I forgot to mention that, I still play that with friends at university like every other day

Gates

Banned via Warnings
Trashtalk and Marvel go hand in hand. You can't have one without the other.

kr3wman

Smash Master
SB's marvel singles gfs were mad good, Yipes clutching like almost every game.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I got to play a little Guilty Gear today. I messed around in Training mode and I already like it more than BlazBlue. I think I'll like Bridget.

Gates

Banned via Warnings
No dude, you're supposed to let him figure it out on his own, it's funnier that way.

ZMan

Smash Master
cromartie high school aka albuquerque, nm
i just got back from an arcade 3s and vampire savior tourny (both ran on arcades). my yang got pooped on in 3s and i took dead last. in vs though my lei-lei got 4th, barely losing to my friend's demitri. he had a tick throw into midnight bliss from hell. both were free so whatever.

a ssf4 is tomorrow, and i intend to win!

also american arcade layouts are horrible. umk3 has the worst button layout of all time.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
I feel bad bringing this up in this thread, as the whole forum revolves around these, but I've been playing Melee a whole lot as of late. I've gotten better at Marth (I was trying to main Mewtwo before that, lolz), and then I decided to play Brawl with some friends who are pretty good at it. I soon realized that Marth fights very similar, and there was little adjustment. The only thing I noticed was his over-b was easier to preform, which made me a little rusty in Melee the next day.

So..did he get like, nerfed or buffed? I mean:

- It seems up+B got better in Brawl
- Over B is easier
- Counter is better

but...

-Down A in the air isn't as good (or maybe I wasn't hitting well)
- B seemed to have a smaller range* (not sure though)

Anyways, just wondered your thoughts. Also, @ Japanese Brawl tiers; they hate Ganon too!

Minato

穏やかじゃない
I got to play a little Guilty Gear today. I messed around in Training mode and I already like it more than BlazBlue. I think I'll like Bridget.
Bridget's so fun to use. I haven't used him in so long though.
So..did he get like, nerfed or buffed? I mean:

- It seems up+B got better in Brawl
- Over B is easier
- Counter is better

but...

-Down A in the air isn't as good (or maybe I wasn't hitting well)
- B seemed to have a smaller range* (not sure though)
I wouldn't really try to use Marth the exact same way from Melee to Brawl.
He's great in both games, so I wouldn't say he was straight out buffed or nerfed.

I don't know if up+B is straight out better in Brawl. It can be good in Melee when done right. Reverse Dolphin Slash in Melee is good.
Over B as an attack is better in Brawl. In Melee, it's situational and they can DI out of it.
It's better as a recovery in Melee though since the 2nd Over B and on won't stop your momentum.

Shield Breaker has better range in Melee, but that's kinda because Marth has more range in Melee compared to Brawl.
It doesn't work as a recovery in Melee and it doesn't take away shields like in Brawl.
Yes, counter is better in Brawl.

Melee's Marth's normals are better IMO because he has more range. The only normal that I can consider better in Brawl is probably his up smash.

So in short, he didn't get straight up nerfed/buffed. Just changed.
But I would say he was better in Melee since he could capitalize on punishments easily due to how the game works.

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
Marth got nerfed in some areas and buffed in others. In the end he ends up in the exact same place.

someone should make a grapplers tier list. Victor will be top tier obv cuz he grabs with his buttcheeks.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
Bridget's so fun to use. I haven't used him in so long though.

I wouldn't really try to use Marth the exact same way from Melee to Brawl.
He's great in both games, so I wouldn't say he was straight out buffed or nerfed.

I don't know if up+B is straight out better in Brawl. It can be good in Melee when done right. Reverse Dolphin Slash in Melee is good.
Over B as an attack is better in Brawl. In Melee, it's situational and they can DI out of it.
It's better as a recovery in Melee though since the 2nd Over B and on won't stop your momentum.

Shield Breaker has better range in Melee, but that's kinda because Marth has more range in Melee compared to Brawl.
It doesn't work as a recovery in Melee and it doesn't take away shields like in Brawl.
Yes, counter is better in Brawl.

Melee's Marth's normals are better IMO because he has more range. The only normal that I can consider better in Brawl is probably his up smash.

So in short, he didn't get straight up nerfed/buffed. Just changed.
But I would say he was better in Melee since he could capitalize on punishments easily due to how the game works.

See I didn't mean he fights the same. The way you play in Melee and Brawl are way different. I mean he feels the same. Where as with Ganondorf... yeah.

But yeah, I began to notice some aspects are better and worse in other games. What I have noticed is, Marth seems easier in Brawl. In Melee, Reverse Dolphin Slash, Over+B, etc, are not as easy to use. And the fact that you fall faster makes it harder too I would guess.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
Everything is easier in brawl. EVERYTHING
Really? I'm not trying to sound stupid, it's just:

I played Melee when I was a 10 year old idiot. I'm recently playing it, only as Marth. So the only thing I have to go off of is Marth/Marth compairsons.

Now that you mention it though, all the combos see easier in Brawl, yet Brawl is kinda fun to me in that sometimes it "feels" smoother (dunno how to explain that one, really), but I would side with Melee over Brawl any day probably.

That and Meta Knight is so ghey.

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
Everything thats gay is easier. Everything fun is harder.

btw brawl feels smoother till your tech skill is good, after that brawl feels stupid and limited.

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
Guys.

I'm trying to SSFIV. I'm really trying. I don't get it. I've tried working on my footsies, I've tried every single character, and I just feel like it's really not clicking. Which is a shame, because I kinda like it. I just have no idea who to play, and there are times in matches where I have idea what I should be doing. I "get" Third Strike, but I don't "get" Super.

I'm not trying to get anyone else to pick my character, but is there anyone in the cast that you guys could recommend for someone who plays a ton of airdashers (read: BB, GG, Melty, Arcana, etc.)? I just feel like no character translates well. Everyone in the local scene has been suggesting characters, and I've tried them all. Balrog, Chun, Ibuki, T. Hawk, you name it.

I've been more or less just messing around with Viper, but she's pretty execution-heavy, and I just feel like I can't get the hang of her.

HALP.

Top Bottom