• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fighting Game Discussion

kr3wman

Smash Master
Was Cervantes good or bad? I remember everyone complaining about him.
he was top tier

I remember Cervantes being bad in SC II, but good in SC III.
opposite IIRC... or just high/mid in 3

i think xianghua was the best in sc2 (and in every other **** sc game besides 4), then ivy and yoshi for top. maxi was the worst character iirc
Yunsung (IIRC he didn't have any safe mid/low mixups).

but SC2 is like pretty balanced.

Gates

Banned via Warnings
I can't believe we got through 2 whole pages of this thread without posting this image.

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
Top Left: That's "People who kinda played it on the SNES and bought SF IV and play it online" It used to be the same as the Vs. fans picture, lol. Still kinda is in the arcade when it comes to 3S.

Add Arabs to Egyptians/Moroccans to the King of Fighters fans too. You don't even know how competitive, and good, the KoF scene in Morocco was.

Also where the hell are the Filipinos? They need to be in every picture.

kr3wman

Smash Master
Where's the HnK players?

EDIT : NVM, they're probably with the VF ones.

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
A mini-golf arcade has a cabinet for HnK but I don't take it seriously. It's pretty **** funny tho, as the video shows.

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
Well, it's pretty widely accepted that Japanese players are better than American players. Not to say that American players aren't or can't be good. It's just that Japanese players are better, in almost every game.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Our saving grace is Marvel. That's not to say Japan's bad at Marvel, though.
We just work harder at it and play it much more than they do.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Japan also plays Marvel very differently, if I remember correctly.
Likewise, the Japanese play like a polar opposite game with Brawl than the rest of the world. I wonder why that is.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Likewise, the Japanese play like a polar opposite game with Brawl than the rest of the world. I wonder why that is.
Yeah, their Brawl style is different. It's just weird seeing them play.
They make the game look more aggressive and exciting than it is.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
I was joking, typically Japanese are better. They were always better in MMOs too, lol.

Also, maybe we should play like them :p

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
We can't play like them because we don't understand why they're so much better. Like, i don't even understand how we're better in smash.

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
Because Smash is less about procedures of button combinations and more about the predictions and mindgames? There is a lot more to the Smash scene then bnb combos and getting them started.

We're less devoted to button memory and more devoted to using our heads.

That's how I can explain our skill at Smash, at least.

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
Because Smash is less about procedures of button combinations and more about the predictions and mindgames? There is a lot more to the Smash scene then bnb combos and getting them started.

Melee isn't just as much about procedures of button combos as mindgames? Idc about brawl. I hate that ****in game.

Gamegenie222

Space Pheasant Dragon Tactician
NNID
Gamegenie222
3DS FC
3411-1825-3363
Anybody ever play Bloody Roar? I remember it vaguely, but I know I used the Mole guy.
That guy's name was Bakuryu and the metal mole's one is Kohryu.

I loved Bloody Roar. I, too, only have a vague memory of it, but I liked... ehh... wierd monster guy with a throw that throws you into his back spikes, Bat girl, and wierd, Chameleon guy.

That monster is Uranus a female character, bat girl was Jenny and the Chameleon was Buzuzima.

I did a review of Bloody Roar Primal Fury 2-3 years ago on the gamecube you guys should try it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oaP-JiV2u1k

Here's another review of the better which is better than mine.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWl4Ewv_Orw

This game series from what I heard was competitive for a period of time till Hudson f*cked up the series with Bloody Roar 4 but it was a cool series and I hope they bring it back or if Capcom buy the series and pimps it out cause not alot of people remember this series or heard of it.

Minato

穏やかじゃない

I agree with half of that. Smash has some random things that has to lead to people guessing/predicting due to DI and such. I think fighters have some random stuff too though. GG and Marvel have lots of situational setups and unpredictability in things. So does 3rd Strike.

And even if the Smash community does value using their heads over button presses, a lot of other fighters will require both on the same level. IMO, I think that 2D fighters require the same kind of level of thinking compared to Smash. It's just harder to see that it does.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
the thing is though EVERY fighter has just as much prediction and mindgames as smash does. the main difference though is you get a higher reward for guessing right than in smash (or at least brawl, for the most part)
You can also it interpret it where because Brawl has much less emphasis on execution, it seems that mindgames and such have more of an emphasis. Of course, I think Lythium pretty much said that.

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
Melee isn't just as much about procedures of button combos as mindgames? Idc about brawl. I hate that ****in game.
There's tech skill, but how you execute when you've found your opening and predict your opponent with the right thought pattern is what counts when accounting DI and their own train of thought.

Mindgames and how you strategize/use your head is what I find most important in a Smash game. Being a player of both Melee and Brawl, I can understand that much and give that perspective at least.

And for what everyone else said, you guys are absolutely right. I can agree to that. Smash Bros. seems to stand out the most though, I find, when it comes to using mind over memory (if that makes sense to anyone. mindgames/predicting over button sequences for combos)

The best of both worlds is utilizing both, yes. But I feel that North America seems to focus much more on their mind then they do the memory of what works and what doesn't. Meanwhile Japan, while rather equal to us in skill (and Europe, and pretty much just about anywhere with a knowledgable Smash scene) wows us with their tech skill and execution. Mayhaps they focus on the memory aspect of the game more than we do? Our minds are more powerful though and narrowly beat out their tech skill.

Difficult to describe, the world of Smash Bros. is. Hahah.

kr3wman

Smash Master
Yeah.

I mean, It's pretty awkward when you read up stuff to get better on like shoryuken.com/sonichurricane.com when people are like 'You always know there's someone better, someone that can beat you out there somewhere, and that in every game' and you're like 'except Isai in smash 64'.

I can only think of like Tomo Ohira who has the same amount of dominance over a fighting game like Isai does, and even then I'm pretty sure Isai is better at his game (like, relatively)

lulz.

Top Bottom