• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fighting Game Discussion

ZMan

Smash Master
cromartie high school aka albuquerque, nm
kof98 and 02 are pretty fun but i haven't spent enough time with them.

i stopped caring about kof13 after the sbo finals. it was just k' dittos, k' ******, or the winner's raiden stomping on people during finals.

Zero_Gamer

Smash Master
So, who is going to be getting Arcana Heart 3 this February?

Also, nerfs have happened to KoF. For starters, Raiden's tackle has more charge time... or what have you. I don't really keep up with SNK games.

SirroMinus1

SiNiStEr MiNiStEr
NNID
Ajarudaru
Vampire savior is a fun game to watch now that i somewhat understand whats going on now
I'm trying to learn Sasquatch. Just learning his BNBs for now.

Gates

Banned via Warnings
So, who is going to be getting Arcana Heart 3 this February?
I probably will if nothing else comes out then. I know Dat *** Effect 2 comes out early next year as well as MvC3 and MK9, so I'm trying to plan out how best to ration my time and money. There's also the BBCS2 DLC with Platinum and stuff and I know as soon as they announce Advance Wars 3DS I'll have to shell out for that.

idk it's all about dat money.

Gates

Banned via Warnings
Arcana Heart, I think the story fiction was a bunch of moeblobs wanted to enter the tournament, so they put on some magic and started fighting.

In terms of gameplay it's more interesting. You start off by choosing a character and then you choose your Arcana (magic style) which determines your special moves. The button layout is 3 attacks (Light, Medium, Hard), and a Homing Button, which has various functions. In some cases it acts as a type of Roman cancel, in other cases it gets you out of block stun, enhances movement, and you can use it for your Arcana's abilities, sort of like Drives in BlazBlue. It also has a bunch of stuff you'd expect from anime fighting games like multiple jumps and airdashes and bursts.

Lore

Infinite Gravity
BRoomer
Oh, that sounds pretty cool. I might get it when it comes out.

Is it, in your opinion, better or worse than Blazblue, Guilty Gear, or Street Fighter?

If I decide to not get AH I'll probably end up trying out Street Fighter, so I added it to that list.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Oh, that sounds pretty cool. I might get it when it comes out.

Is it, in your opinion, better or worse than Blazblue, Guilty Gear, or Street Fighter?

If I decide to not get AH I'll probably end up trying out Street Fighter, so I added it to that list.
You'd probably like it more than Street FIghter since it'll probably fit your style more.
A lot of people hate SF because they always jump or can't space and need air dashing to get in.

AH3 is coming January in Japan though. So you'll have to import it or wait for a US release date.

Zero_Gamer

Smash Master
I've never played Arcana Heart. What's it about, and is it any good?
To add on to what Gates said, the characters themselves also have specials, the Arcana just add more on top of that as well as passive effects such as more air dashes, ability to slow down descent a la Storm, mind-eff ability to charge certain attacks, instant landing, etc. There are even more abilities that can be used via Arcana Blaze (basically a burst, but you lose your meter in fashion similar to Melty Blood when you burst.

The story is not a tournament... at least in Arcana Heart 1. It's basically someone trying to unite the worlds of the Arcana and the Humans, but that would destroy one of them while giving the other power and a bunch of moe blobs want to save the day with some character-specific things in there too. It's a fighting game, so the execution of story is bare bones.

Arcana Heart is my favorite fighting game of all time and Arcana Heart 3 is supposed to be closer to Guilty Gear than Blazblue and Street Fighter can go downback itself.

cyborg 009
You're under arrest.
Because you have stolen my heart.

Gates

Banned via Warnings

Minato

穏やかじゃない
ArcSys said they were localizing it in America, so a US release date should be around the same time (probably more like late February/early March).
Cool, I didn't know about the news on localization.
I was afraid we wouldn't be seeing it until way later.

ArcSysI was kidding.

It was a reference to this.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLN8xAPr_Dk
I'm still surprised it was an employee that said that. Especially an employee that was interviewed to advertise the game.

Gates

Banned via Warnings
Yeah, what was the name of that song called again? Something like "Heavily Resistant to Damage"?

Minato

穏やかじゃない
KoF '98 song at the beginning was pretty funny. I can't remember what other songs I heard.
I think I heard some CvS2 and stuff.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I have a couple of questions for my fellow fighting game fans:

1. What were the monitors used at EVO? I'm obviously looking for a nigh lagless monitor.
2. Is said monitor available in a roughly 26 in. size? I'm thinking of selling my current TV to my sister and she doesn't do competitive gaming and doesn't have an HDTV.
3. Does said monitor have speakers?
4. What do I have to get to use it as an ordinary HDTV as well if I feel like, well, watching TV?

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Thanks. After some thought, I think I'm going to keep my TV and just get a smaller monitor as I have enough room for that on my desk. Besides, my reason for getting a monitor is for gaming and it doesn't seem like replacing my TV for a monitor and some equipment would seem to be a good idea if I still want to watch TV.

I think I'll just get a 23 in. ASUS then sometime in the future. If I go through with this, I'm going to have to rearrange my room.

EDIT: What about this 21" model?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236051

It has built in speakers, but what's the difference between this one's 2x2W and the 23"'s 2x3W?

EDIT 2: I'll just go with the 23" model. I get more bang for my buck if I spend an extra 15 dollars.

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
**** PETSHOP. Really, **** Petshop.

It's too bad that 99% of top matches on YouTube are Dio, Jotaro and Polnareff with the odd Kakyoin. The game has amazing diversity.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
I've been playing JJBA more and more now. My favorite to use is Jojo, but that's only because I haven't tried everyone out yet.

Lore

Infinite Gravity
BRoomer
Thanks. After some thought, I think I'm going to keep my TV and just get a smaller monitor as I have enough room for that on my desk. Besides, my reason for getting a monitor is for gaming and it doesn't seem like replacing my TV for a monitor and some equipment would seem to be a good idea if I still want to watch TV.
I don't remember where I heard it from, but I think that you can get something that lets you watch tv on a monitor. Try googling it.

Anyway, I'm trying to find a decently cheap HDTV that is around 30ish inches. Can you guys help me find one that is good for gaming?

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
Anyway, I'm trying to find a decently cheap HDTV that is around 30ish inches. Can you guys help me find one that is good for gaming?
My last HDTV was a Samsung. Perhaps we had a bad run, but it didn't hold up particularly well. The HDMI jack was really loose, so the cable would fall out a lot, and you would have to jiggle it every two seconds to get the image to come back. Eventually, the screen just died. You could turn the power on, but the screen stayed dark. It was only about a year old.

I have a Toshiba now, and it's pretty amazing. The colour is better too. It's also bigger than the Samsung, and I paid the same price for it.

I've heard good things about LG too, but when I went shopping for a TV, the colour on the LG looked kinda wonky. I dunno, I think it's one of those things that you have to do in person. Also, if you're gaming, make sure your future TV has a lot of RCA connectors, HDMI, and whatever else you need. :3c

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I don't remember where I heard it from, but I think that you can get something that lets you watch tv on a monitor. Try googling it.

Yeah, when I mentioned getting other equipment, I was referring to a TV Tuner. My current TV cost $300 and the cost of getting an HD TV Tuner would probably cost me more than my current TV and I lose connection options as monitors have fewer ports.

If you're looking for an HDTV, check through this thread and see if you get an answer:
http://shoryuken.com/f177/new-definitive-hdtv-lag-faq-174085/

I thought about getting something like HD Fury or VGA cables, but I hear it's a gamble (did I say that already)? Besides, I can bring a monitor to tournaments much more easily than a regular TV.

Top Bottom