• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

|FBT6 - BRAWL| March 20-21 Oshkosh, WI. West Circuit Event #2 - Results in 1st Post!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eighteenspikes

Smash Master
lol since the midwest circuit is only picking events in Ohio or Michigan, I might start putting up fliers to attract some locals to help the overall attendance. That is, unless a west side circuit is started, but I kinda doubt it considering how few KS/MN/WI/IA go out of state :urg:

Wafles

Smash Lord
For future reference: I don't mind driving out of state to other tournaments, granted they're not excessively far away. I probably wont drive for melee because I'm terrible at it, but yeah.

spikes, need help with the flier again?

Nicole

Smash Champion
lol since the midwest circuit is only picking events in Ohio or Michigan, I might start putting up fliers to attract some locals to help the overall attendance. That is, unless a west side circuit is started, but I kinda doubt it considering how few KS/MN/WI/IA go out of state :urg:
Just saw your post in the MW Circuit West discussion. I can probably speak for my Kirksville MO Krew (4 of us). If this gets decided to be a Circuit event, we would definitely go. I'm fairly sure you could get KS as well.

Also, is this at all close to Milwaukee/Marquette U?

eighteenspikes

Smash Master
Just saw your post in the MW Circuit West discussion. I can probably speak for my Kirksville MO Krew (4 of us). If this gets decided to be a Circuit event, we would definitely go. I'm fairly sure you could get KS as well.

Also, is this at all close to Milwaukee/Marquette U?
heck yes :lick:

Depending on how you get here, neither Marquette or Milwaukee are too far out of the way from Oshkosh if you're coming from MO. They are, however, about an hour or so away.

Nicole

Smash Champion
heck yes :lick:

Depending on how you get here, neither Marquette or Milwaukee are too far out of the way from Oshkosh if you're coming from MO. They are, however, about an hour or so away.
An hour isn't bad, but I'll have to see how much driving my crew wants to do. Can we stay at the venue, or do we need housing elsewhere? Also, I'll bring a TV/Wii setup. We might bring 2 if you still need more/have room in our car.

eighteenspikes

Smash Master
An hour isn't bad, but I'll have to see how much driving my crew wants to do. Can we stay at the venue, or do we need housing elsewhere? Also, I'll bring a TV/Wii setup. We might bring 2 if you still need more/have room in our car.
Housing will be at the venue for Friday and Saturday night, but you'll need to bring sleeping materials. I'll put you down for a setup. Thanks!

James Sparrow

Smash Master
lol speak for yourself, MN has been to like 9 out of state tournaments in 5 different states in the last 4 months, and we have had IA, NE, SD, and MO come to our tournaments :bee:

eighteenspikes

Smash Master
lmao mn goes out of state every ****ing day
lol speak for yourself, MN has been to like 9 out of state tournaments in 5 different states in the last 4 months, and we have had IA, NE, SD, and MO come to our tournaments :bee:
My post wasn't addressing how often they go out of state, it was how many go out of state. FBT4 was mostly MN, WI, and a little bit of IL, and there were what, like 50 people? The venue can handle much more than what these 3 areas can provide, which is why I was disappointed to see WI alienated from the 2009 circuit discussion before the creation of the West thread.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
So, I'd like to come to this, but the problem is that I need to be in San Francisco on Sunday/Monday for GDC.

Given that I don't know the slightest bit about Wisconsin airports, how difficult would it be to get to San Francisco from Oshkosh?

chansen

Smash Lord
im geting my license soon and plan to go to lots of tournaments...especially melee :D
You should swing downtown for all melee tournaments. I am always down.

And you still wouldn't come to LPC? :(

Wafles

Smash Lord
So, I'd like to come to this, but the problem is that I need to be in San Francisco on Sunday/Monday for GDC.

Given that I don't know the slightest bit about Wisconsin airports, how difficult would it be to get to San Francisco from Oshkosh?
There are lots of airports, most of which wont be direct flights. The closest to oshkosh is in Appleton, about 16 miles north of Oshkosh.

http://travel.travelocity.com/flights/AirDateSearch.do?SEQ=12332496673480292009

Maybe that link will help you out.

eighteenspikes

Smash Master
Okay guys I have an important question.

How would you feel about splitting the tournament into two separate dates? Brawl where it is, Melee later (one or two months).

With the creation of the Brawl West Circuit, and discussion of a Melee Midwest Circuit, there is a potential for much more interest in both Brawl and Melee tournaments. Currently, FBT6 is set up in a moderately large venue, but the schedule is somewhat tight and melee is almost something of an afterthought. I think splitting it up would benefit both games' respective tournament in many ways.

Based on the current registrants on http://wismash.com, only one third of registered players are expecting to attend events for both games. Everyone else is either melee only or brawl only. So, By splitting up the tournaments we would be able to concentrate more on each individual game and provide a smoother event; this would be more beneficial to a majority of the interested parties.

Also, by splitting it into two Friday-Saturday tournaments, we would have access to larger venues. This is a picture of the room we currently have reserved:

It's a decent size and works great for tournaments in a 40-50 player range. Alternatively, this venue is available to us for the same weekend, only on Friday and Saturday:

It's reserved by another group starting at Noon on every Sunday, so we could even allow people to stay Saturday night as well if they need somewhere to sleep before heading out. We just can't host here for all day Sunday.

Finally, the proposed split would be much cheaper. Adding Sunday to the currently scheduled weekend tacked on about $400 in staffing and venue fees. If Sunday was dropped, the cost of the venue would be cut nearly in half, because the building is 'open' during school time and we don't have to pay for staffing on Friday. That money could translate into a nice pot bonus if that Pepsi sponsorship still goes through :lick: Any tournaments hosted in the future would be during an "open" time on Saturday (the currently scheduled Saturday is during UWO's spring break, so the building is closed), keeping costs low.

If I don't hear any convincing feedback as to why it should be kept as is, I'll be dropping Sunday and looking for dates in the future that would work for a Melee tournament. I apologize in advance to anybody who has already made arrangements for the entire weekend; hopefully this is brought up far enough in advance for everything to be worked out. But, if we keep Sunday, the current room is certainly big enough and there's no reason we can't make do. I just want these tournaments to be as great as possible for everybody :bee:

betterthanbonds9

Smash Ace
I came

I'm all for you saving money and thus more money for the winners and thus more money for people to save and thus more money for people to give lose play some friendly games of connect 4 with a few wagers here and there.

cuz that's the only way I'm gonna make money at these things :p

Plus not having **** on sunday makes travel easier and im guessing it'd be pools on friday and then brackets/crews on saturday.

Wafles

Smash Lord
I support the split, but you already know this...lol

Less stress is good, and maybe split events will get even more people interested.

Which dates are we considering splitting this up as?

eighteenspikes

Smash Master
im dumb

In other good news, tomorrow is the Pepsi Fund Committee's first meeting, so we might find out as soon as tomorrow whether or not we'll get the sponsorship.

Scythe

Smash Master
So the tourney starts on Friday morning? Will there be housing for Thursday night?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom