• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

|FBT6 - BRAWL| March 20-21 Oshkosh, WI. West Circuit Event #2 - Results in 1st Post!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ulti

Smash Journeyman
I don't think I'll be able to go anymore either, since this won't be happening during my spring break now.

hunger!

Smash Champion
due to the date change i might not be able to go on saturday. i have a family thing that day for my nephew. maybe the date change and gigantic room arent needed.

Lokeloki

Smash Apprentice
personally i think the split would be a bad idea, because i love the whole idea of a smash fest with melee and brawl, segregation is bad. This will also lower the turnout for both tourneys because melee players wont come to the brawl tourney and brawl players won't come to the melee tourney unless they truly feel they own at both. I wouldn't make the drive twice, but i probably would have played melee if it was the same weekend.

also the date change is messing everything up for a lot of ppl. I understand the cost cut, but speaking personally I wouldn't might paying a little more/winning a little less if it meant on friggin hardcore weekend long smashfest. Thats my vote, but ill go to brawl either way.

BTW I will be bring a full Brawl set-up
Captain Falcon FTW! He's too good

Climhazard

Smash Rookie
I agree with the above post, I love melee, and don't really play brawl, but I would have gladly entered if both were present.

eighteenspikes

Smash Master
Guys, let me apologize about the date thing. I've been really busy as this is my first week of school, and I rushed through the venue thing between classes today. I was like "Hmm, more time = bigger, nobody will care" and didn't take into consideration the whole spring break thing. Basically, I'm dumb *eats crow*

As for melee though, I'm convinced that we simply wont be able to do the game justice if we squeeze it into the last day. I agree with Loke about a weekend long smashfest being awesome, but it's way more expensive. Like, we would need 80 people on Sunday just to break even on the costs, and by then it's too big for one day anyways. And it's true that some Brawl people would have joined melee, but the numbers just aren't there. I was hoping that more people would enter both games and the entire tournament would benefit from the desegregation, but when you have 50+ registrants and the dual participation is in the low teens... it's just more reasonable to split the two, especially with all of the circuit talk.

So yea, I got confused with the dates, and now I'm sure everyone else is confused, but let's try to get this back on track :lick:

Scythe: there won't be housing at the venue for Thursday night. If you need it though, you can probably arrange some housing with locals.

Chexr, tempest, climhazard: don't worry, if you don't want to go to a brawl tournament, I'll host a Melee only tournament soon. It's not like they're both gonna be in the same month or something so no driving johns. It will be a lot better than Sunday would have been :lick:

Wafles

Smash Lord
This tournament will be brawl only because we want to devote more time to melee, so another tournament will be made for melee. Squeezing a big melee tournament into one day would be bad, especially squeezing it into a sunday. Time for crews would be problematic, and overall it will be bigger and more fun to devote a whole other weekend for it.

So the dates are the same, except for all day sunday, and we'll move melee to another weekend.

I WILL BE CLEARING ALL REGISTRATIONS AND REQUESTING NEW REGISTRATIONS FOR THE BRAWL TOURNAMENT ONLY

You'll all recieve an email from me shortly expanding on these changes.

Seanson

Smash Ace
well SMYM9 will have a crapload more ppl and is 1 day only and is melee only, so why would making melee 2 days be better since we wouldnt get as many people as smym9 anyways for melee

Zicore

Smash Champion
well SMYM9 will have a crapload more ppl and is 1 day only and is melee only, so why would making melee 2 days be better since we wouldnt get as many people as smym9 anyways for melee
I wouldn't say that before it happens...just sayin.

eighteenspikes

Smash Master
Even if the melee-only tournament ends up being one day, it will be on a Saturday, not a Sunday. It'll be in the larger venue, and it wont be on the heels of a Brawl tournament, so it will be smoother. Best case scenario is 2 days, in my opinion, because it relieves a lot of time pressure. Last SMYM I went to (6?) had something like 90 people, and singles was pools of 8 with top 2 going through, which pissed off a bunch of people, and even still it finished at like 1AM. From the looks of the SMYM9 thread they are taking precautions to avoid this by running on a very strict schedule, but that kind of tension is an experience I'd like to avoid, both for myself as a host and for the attendees as well.

Wafles

Smash Lord
Alright guys, I just sent out a mass email to everyone.

PLEASE RE-REGISTER AT THE WEBSITE

Since melee is out for this tourney, I need you all to register again. It wont take long.

Scythe

Smash Master
Not sure if i could make this now, i'll have to double check things.

Dragmire

Smash Lord
so we're having pools and brackets on 2 seperate days!! are we really expecting that many people? and sad to hear melees getting dropped, I should still be able to show up.

eighteenspikes

Smash Master
Part of the Pepsi Sponsorship requires that we offer this as a campus event. It will probably require some kind of clause that we waive the door fee for UW students. In theory this means we should get a fair amount of local interest contributing to the pot, without their missing venue fees hurting our budget. So yes, the idea is that eventually this will grow to a size that will benefit from a 2 day event, but I wont really know until (at the very least) tomorrow whether or not we get sponsored.

betterthanbonds9

Smash Ace
Part of the Pepsi Sponsorship requires that we offer this as a campus event. It will probably require some kind of clause that we waive the door fee for UW students. In theory this means we should get a fair amount of local interest contributing to the pot, without their missing venue fees hurting our budget. So yes, the idea is that eventually this will grow to a size that will benefit from a 2 day event, but I wont really know until (at the very least) tomorrow whether or not we get sponsored.
fresh meat+more money for the pot=im cool wit it

you should just cancel the brawl tournament all together and only do melee on the original date.
or do brawl on the eventual day;)

and whoever the heck climhazard is, i agree with that dude

lonejedi

W.I.T.T.Y
BRoomer
Wow, you guys are a bunch of whiners. I've never seen so many people whine about a tourney before. You do realize that Spikes hates brawl, and loves playing melee, so for him to do this, is better for melee. I agree with Spikes I'd much rather have an only melee tourney, and an only brawl tourney. Sure Melee is better, but this makes it so the melee tourney isn't rushed. Seriously, what if we have to rush singles pools by only having top 2 or 3 advancing, and people will get ticked off with people being in a bad pool. Why doesn't MN just host a Melee tournament of their own? You guys have enough people, yet I only see All brawl tournies, or Half Brawl/Half Melee tournies.

Spikes puts in a lot of work for these events, I think it's pretty classless to complain when he changes one thing.

illboyzeus

Smash Ace
Wow, you guys are a bunch of whiners. I've never seen so many people whine about a tourney before. You do realize that Spikes hates brawl, and loves playing melee, so for him to do this, is better for melee. I agree with Spikes I'd much rather have an only melee tourney, and an only brawl tourney. Sure Melee is better, but this makes it so the melee tourney isn't rushed. Seriously, what if we have to rush singles pools by only having top 2 or 3 advancing, and people will get ticked off with people being in a bad pool. Why doesn't MN just host a Melee tournament of their own? You guys have enough people, yet I only see All brawl tournies, or Half Brawl/Half Melee tournies.

Spikes puts in a lot of work for these events, I think it's pretty intelligent to complain when he changes the best thing.
Fixed, and why not just have two melee's? it's such a good game:confused: if you make a two day melee event you know the attendees would at least be in the upper 80's to 100's. Brawl IDK bout all dat, just my opinion

Seanson

Smash Ace
if this one was brawl and melee then the one in a month could also be brawl and melee, thats like 4 tournaments!

also lone, hosting tournaments isnt about having enough people, its getting enough people

eighteenspikes

Smash Master
This tournament is brawl only and there is overwhelming rationale behind a split being beneficial to everyone attending. If you have difficulty understanding the split, please contact me on AIM or through PM's instead of making sentence long posts that don't have any purpose in the thread.

eighteenspikes

Smash Master
I just said reg required, that should be enough for now.

I just got off the phone with gamecrazy, they're still on board for letting us use their store Wii, but other than that, Wii's are still in too high demand for them to be just sitting around :urg: the manager said his brother traded in his Wii and it sold the same day. But, he said we can submit a proposal to corporate, and they can maybe donate gift cards/cash/merchandise. I might look into that :smash: also tonight is the Pepsi Fund Committee meeting, man I am going to pee myself if that goes through :lick:

Scythe

Smash Master
I'm not 100% on whether we're going(my spring break actually starts the 23rd) but is anyone in that area willing to house 2-4 people for (possibly)Thursday and (possibly)Saturday?

MachinegunNorm

Smash Lord
I'm not 100% on whether we're going(my spring break actually starts the 23rd) but is anyone in that area willing to house 2-4 people for (possibly)Thursday and (possibly)Saturday?
you don't need to find housing, they are letting us stay at the place. i think.

hunger!

Smash Champion
I should be able to maaaaaaaakee thiiissssss.

:falcon: YES!

you don't need to find housing, they are letting us stay at the place. i think.

basically if kirks group isnt that big. im sure i could house you guys. or maybe grimace would be able to. we're from the same town and i've housed kirk before with no problem. My house is 40 min north from the venue so not a bad drive at all. i'll see what i can do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom