• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Favourite all time games?

Siyro

Smash Journeyman
can you name me one game, from this current generation that beats the top games from the era's I previously mentioned?

and if you can, then name 5!
I reckon COD: WaW is pretty good, but some other people I know don't quite like it, so yeah, like Sieg said, depends on your definition of good games.

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
I really do like Unreon's taste in games. What a superior list

And I tend to agree that anything made in the 1990's is overall better than anything made from 2000 onwards. Growing up in the 1990's was awesome.

With games like GTA, Halo, ****ty Final Fantasys and WoW defining this generation, it's just meh...

Sieg

Smash Champion
Now Shadows of the Colossus. That was a ****ing game. Something so simple made something so epic.

That was about gameplay. There was barely any story. No fancy crap. Just you and 16 big mother****ing colossus. Great game.

Also, I find it sad that no one recalls some of the more, less known RPG's of the 90's. I mean, sure people have played FF. And it was a good RPG. But there were so many better ones.

Wild Arms
Grandia
Saga Frontier
Vagrant Story
Legend of Legaia
Alundra
Legend of Dragoon

So many good games of the 90's RPGs that only had small fanbases. I'll agree with Cao. If Halo is what defines this generation of gaming, this is a **** era for people who have experienced the great gaming of the past.

Sirias

Smash Champion
WoW? A good game? Ugh.
Never played any of those games, apart from Wii Sports Resort, which I admit is pretty fun.
But they're still nothing compared to the older games.
Also, to whoever made the post about Kingdom Hearts and all them being better for the NEW GEN (i.e Wii, PS3, Xbox 360), I think you have your time mixed up. Kingdom Hearts and them 'are' good games, but they're not new gen games. c:
Also notice how I've never played any PC games.
That's because I've never had a good enough PC to play any good PC games. :D
Plus, for no reason at all, I don't like PC games. =]
Like, I despise them.
Haha.
Random.

unreon

Smash Ace
I don't like WoW very much either, but mostly because RPGs in general leave a bitter taste in my mouth.

But nobody can deny just what impact it has on the gaming in general. If someone were to write a history book for gaming, it would be akin to WWII. It's just got that massive scope and importance that really, you can't deny just how significant it is.

I really think the Wii is defining this generation. In all seriousness. It's because of the Wii that people are being more lax and taking away the spotlight from the "yuckiness" that the public has on things like GTA.

<3 Cao muchlies. I really should get an emulator and play all the SNES games over again. I forgot what happened in most of them :(

Ant1

Smash Ace
WoW was good pre burning crusade. The good ol days when u where levelling up were really fun.
Getting an epic was like a big achievement back then. Only a few people on the server had lots of epics. Now everyone has them, they have basically way too easy to get. Doing PvP for like an hour or 2 can get u a decent epic.
Weapons now do way too much dmg. I remember seeing a 60dps 1hander and going wow, thats so much dmg. Now a basic 1h is 150dps....
Going through Molten Core and beating ragnaros was quite the experience.

S.D

Smash Master
Old games are the greatest. All the SNES titles, Sega etc. Emulators were my lifeblood once upon a time. Mother 3 English patch was a god send.

I like lots of classic, quirky PC games - Like Callaghan's Crosstime Saloon, Obsidian, Myst (series) etc.

Ant1

Smash Ace
Amiga games were awesome. I had so many wierd game on the amiga.
I had TMNT colouring game!!!1!!1 A game called bounce (which involved a ball bouncing off parts of a square with some obstacle in the way. And some awesome game where u controlled a cartoon liek car which name escape me. It was like a platforming game.
All i know is that u had a time limit and when it ran out ur car would say "uh oh Turbo!!"

When i got a pc, we never really had games, all we ever played was demo's from like these pc powerplay magazines which my dad got from somewhere. Played a lot of different games demo's.

EverAlert

Smash Master
NNID
EVAL89
3DS FC
2664-2214-3431
can you name me one game, from this current generation that beats the top games from the era's I previously mentioned?

and if you can, then name 5!
Like I said, "good games" peaked around the time you're talking about. I could probably name a few if I thought about it really hard (lol), but that isn't the point.

When I say "gaming itself" I'm more referring to the industry, and the amount of time society puts into videogames; both of which are still growing exponentially.

Nova

Banned via Warnings
The only game I can think of that I liked more than one it directly compares to in the GCN/N64 era is Super Mario Galaxy. I think that game was extremely well put together and I rank it slightly higher than Super Mario 64 and about 5 thousand light years higher than Super Mario Sunshine. It doesn't beat out Super Mario Bros 3 or Super Mario World though. The only 3D platformer I put up in that league is Banjo Kazooie.

Also, Super Monkey Ball is pretty awesome. I broke 2 GC controls trying to unlock Master Mode on that (Super Monkey Ball 2 was much easier to do). Most infuriating game ever.

unreon

Smash Ace
Super Mario Galaxy is the absolute pinnacle of gaming. It washes away all your stress and guilt and makes you ecstatic and fills you with wonder and after playing you come out of it a generous and loving person.

Beat that.

SummonerAU

Smash Lord
They're finally back
performing for you
if you know the words
you can join it too
put your hands together
if you want to clap
as we take you through
this monkey rap
HUUUUGH

best game intro ever imo

Sirias

Smash Champion
Bahamut Lagoon, that's a good oldie.
Terranigma, yep.
Chrono Trigger is good, too.
Fire Emblem 4 and 5.
And others, but those are the ones that are prominent to meee.

Dean Martin <3
Frank Sinatra <3

gopobox

Smash Journeyman
Super Mario Galaxy is the absolute pinnacle of gaming. It washes away all your stress and guilt and makes you ecstatic and fills you with wonder and after playing you come out of it a generous and loving person.

Beat that.
Super Mario Galaxy was freaking awesome...
But you got to admit that it was pretty **** easy. I borrowed the game off a friend and i finished it in like a week.
Takes you like 3 minutes to get a star...

SummonerAU

Smash Lord
I borrowed the game for a night from Video Ezy and got 85 stars or something. Enough to 'finish' the game.

gopobox

Smash Journeyman
Well, you unlock luigi after getting 120 or was it 121 stars with mario and you're basically starting the game all over with like a few levels being altered. Luigi is harder to control because when he runs, he takes a while to stop but iirc he was faster and could jump higher..

Splice

Smash Hero
Jazz Jackrabbit highfive with Nix.
Wario World 3 highfive with Timic.
Starcraft highfive with like everyone, amirite?

Also you guys made me remember i've played Oddworld Abes Oddysee, when i was like 10 at my Sisters house and i finished it with her husband. I remember having a great time, I probably enjoyed it enough for it to be on my top 10 but i can hardly remember how it went... :/

Splice

Smash Hero
Old School.
The ones that were like Sonic with Guns. Aww yeah!
The 3-D one was a nice attempt, but its not good.
Which reminds me, those bonus levels were your running on that road? Those were pro.
MUST DOWNLOAD AGAIN ON NEW COMPUTER!!

Nixernator

Smash Ace
I know I actually tried except it needs DOS to run and XP is not DOS no matter how much I want it to be...
Anyone know how to do it? You get much wubs from me

SummonerAU

Smash Lord
I know I actually tried except it needs DOS to run and XP is not DOS no matter how much I want it to be...
Anyone know how to do it? You get much wubs from me

There's this magical program called Dosbox that does it.

Darkwing SykeDuk

Smash Dankist
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
Final Fantasy X
Banjo Kazooie
Star Fox 64
Merrreeeee
Halo 2 on Live
Super Mario All Stars
Tales of Vesperia/Symphonia
Mega Man X
Golden Sun
Fallout 3
Chrono Trigger/Cross
Xenogears
Maximum Tune 3

AND DEEDEEEEAAAAARRRRR

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
dosbox is a riduclously easy program to use, to make it simple for yourself, move your game folder into C:\ so all you have to do is, "mount c c:\jazz" or something like that.

EverAlert

Smash Master
NNID
EVAL89
3DS FC
2664-2214-3431
Super Mario Galaxy was freaking awesome...
But you got to admit that it was pretty **** easy. I borrowed the game off a friend and i finished it in like a week.
Takes you like 3 minutes to get a star...
WAH WAH WAH THIS GAME IS SO EASY I COULD CRY, WHAT A BADLY MADE GAME.

Mario Galaxy had the perfect difficulty level imo, it suited the game perfectly. Being "easy" isn't necessarily a bad thing. :)

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
mmm well it was an awesome game even if it was easy, so imagine how much better it would have been if it was harder, like all those ****ing trippy levels had so much potential to **** you but didnt.

but apparently nintendo said (I cant remember my source so I could be wrong) that the first galaxy was more aimed at casual gamers, but the new one they are making is aimed more at hardcore gamers and will be harder.

if so that'll be ****ing sweet.

unreon

Smash Ace
Galaxy wasn't about being difficult. In fact, I don't need to be tearing my hair out to enjoy a fricking Mario game.

It was about enjoying yourself and just the majestic trip it took you on. Watching all that went around in the visual space, the imagination and creativity of the places he went through, how every single star made you do something unique and how you were never ever bored, the simple beauty, the pace of which you thought "you know what would be a good idea in this level?" - only to find out they actually DID IT...its just the overall universe they set the game in that made me smiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiile more than any other game I played.

Hell, that's just my measure of enjoying a game. 5 out of 5 smiles :)

EDIT: There is a false dichotomy between casual and hardcore games. If someone is putting themselves solely in the latter category, then you are missing out on alot. Hell, Plants vs Zombies was casual. Peggle is casual. Street Fighter 4 was made more casual. An easy introduction curve is a good thing.

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
Unreon post of the year.

Galaxy was surreal and transported you to another world. Although, I do find Sunshine a relaxing place haha <3

Aussierob123

Smash Champion
I concur on super metroid being the greatest game of all time.

Used to do speed runs of that **** over and over.

All the zeldas, all the marios (ESPECIALLY smb3) , banjo kazooie, mario kart, megaman / megaman x series, **** the list of good NES, snes and n64 games could go on for ages.

but don't forget about the MGS series...

Edit: Oh wow I just remembered harvest moon for the snes. Played that game for hours and hours. Ever played a recent harvest moon? they suck!

Edit 2: Just remembered playing blast corps for hours, and also Illusion of time. those games were good. wish they would make a new blast corps.

...Ellipsis...

Smash Lord
Greatest Game of All Time
METROID PRIME

Other Notable Mentions
Twilight Princess > Majoras Mask > Ocarina > Wind Waker
Tales of Vesperia/Symphonia
Paper Mario Thousand Year Door
Super Metroid
Donkey Kong Country 2
Yoshi's Island
Brawl/Melee
Mass Effect

Best Game Everyone Hated
Kirby's Air Ride

Dedu

Smash Lord
Need I say it any louder?

Only one game meets that 'best BAMF evar!'

OCARINA OF TIME!
*sheds tear*

After reading back a few pages some people made some comments about Mario Galaxy...
Gotta say that game did feel very surreal.
And I got stars in my eyes after I finished playing the game for a while!

Hell I could see em if I closed my eyes haha!

Nova

Banned via Warnings
...Ellipsis..., I love you and your list. <3

I also read somewhere that Galaxy 2 is going to be harder (I think the American CEO of Nintendo said it), so that should be pretty fun. ^_^

Dekar289

Smash Hero
they also said new smb wii will be hard

but they also said wii would be good

Top Bottom