• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

FAST 1 - Florida's Awesome Summer Tourney - July 17-20, 2008 (Register Online NOW!!!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Nobody ever made a significant amount of money in Melee but about 10 people. Most people even considered very good have probably spent more money than they've made. For the overwhelming majority of Smashers, it has never been about making money. If you want to make money playing a game go to poker tournaments.
Where the money is = where the people are. Follow the money and you follow the community.

Also, I'm pretty bad at poker. I'm really lucky, but bad. Sliq is awesome though.

Shai Hulud

Smash Lord
Where the money is = where the people are. Follow the money and you follow the community.

Also, I'm pretty bad at poker. I'm really lucky, but bad. Sliq is awesome though.
Your argument is circular. The money is in Brawl because the community (who provides the entry fees) is there. The community is there because that's where the money is. There's obviously another reason why the community is larger, and it has nothing to do with money. The game is newer and simpler.

araknophobik

Smash Master
P told me about the tourny in GA but it fell on my bday so it was a no go
definetly interested in this one, i'd only go for melee tho b/c of summer school
who's down to team?

Fizz-sama

Smash Ace
I'd really like to go to this. I'm going to try and get Nite to tag along with me if I do.

~random~
If so, anyone wanna' do a small-off-to-the-side AH tourney?

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Your argument is circular. The money is in Brawl because the community (who provides the entry fees) is there. The community is there because that's where the money is. There's obviously another reason why the community is larger, and it has nothing to do with money. The game is newer and simpler.
The game is newer; that's really about it. If Brawl was first then Melee, people would be playing Melee. That's really all there is to it. Follow the money, you find the community, you find the competition. Just what I wanna do. :)

If I wanted to stick to a dead community I'd go off and play Halo 1.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
That **** isn't dead. They have side events at MLG's for it :laugh::laugh:
Smash 64 has also been at every FC.

Halo 1 is dead, it died a long time ago. The number of people playing Halo 1 is incredibly small, despite the fact that it is leagues beyond Halo 2 and 3. They have side events for Halo 1 because the players of Halo 2 and Halo 3 enjoy the game; it is likely that Melee and Smash 64 side events will stick around, but it's no longer the main attraction.

Just because something is whimpering and dying slowly on the floor doesn't mean it isn't dead, if you get my drift.

Miztik

Smash Master
Theres a good chance ill be able to make this and possible bring a few others from Norcal (well Modesto/ceres....that i smash with....)

Shai Hulud

Smash Lord

Halo 1 is dead, it died a long time ago. The number of people playing Halo 1 is incredibly small, despite the fact that it is leagues beyond Halo 2 and 3. They have side events for Halo 1 because the players of Halo 2 and Halo 3 enjoy the game; it is likely that Melee and Smash 64 side events will stick around, but it's no longer the main attraction.

Just because something is whimpering and dying slowly on the floor doesn't mean it isn't dead, if you get my drift.
You act like it's inevitable that newer games replace the old as the competitive standard when that doesn't always happen. Sometimes a newer game is so inferior that it dies while its predecessor moves on. Look at CS 1.6, Quake 3, etc. I predict Brawl will be dead within two years because it's a shallow *** game, whereas Melee, while smaller than it used to be, will still be having tournaments. I'll take bets on this prediction as well.

xYz

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1049-0933-6834
ohhhhhhhhhhhh TRUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!
I hope FL makes it up on top in the four tournies.

C@sH Mooney

Smash Master

Yeah I know, I was just saying. I get your drift =D

So your not even coming just to have fun? For the moments?(Spining toothbrush =o). Don't you think playing melee again would be fun? I mean this is if you haven't played in awhile of course. And then Brawl. Brawl will be the biggest event ever. If you have not heard yet, both of our most recent locals in Orlando have been 120+ people. For a local! Imagine the people that will come for this!!

You'll be missing out on a lot bud. =/

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Yeah I know, I was just saying. I get your drift =D

So your not even coming just to have fun? For the moments?(Spining toothbrush =o). Don't you think playing melee again would be fun? I mean this is if you haven't played in awhile of course. And then Brawl. Brawl will be the biggest event ever. If you have not heard yet, both of our most recent locals in Orlando have been 120+ people. For a local! Imagine the people that will come for this!!

You'll be missing out on a lot bud. =/
Meh. If I wanted to go for something "fun" I'd play Halo 1 or bring a chess board. I'm sure it'll be a big event, but it's a 13 hour drive, so might as well go to something more local >_>

derf

Smash Ace
dude overswarm, i dont think you're trying to be a ****, but you're arguing with people outside your region, in a thread for a tournament you said you're not attending, about a game you dont even play anymore

just let it go man.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
dude overswarm, i dont think you're trying to be a ****, but you're arguing with people outside your region, in a thread for a tournament you said you're not attending, about a game you dont even play anymore

just let it go man.
I'm not arguing anything. >_>

I'm just responding to people that quote me. o_O

Also, Linguini: You look like a shoe.

Shai Hulud

Smash Lord
I'm not arguing anything. >_>

I'm just responding to people that quote me. o_O

Also, Linguini: You look like a shoe.
It doesn't matter whether you're responding or not--it takes two (or more) to argue. Besides, I believe you started all this with the following quote:

Overswarm said:
You're.

and Melee's an old game, it'll shrivel... Brawl will blossom. So I stick to Brawl. Plus, I played Melee specifically to get prepared for Brawl, so why go backwards?
You start off by correcting someone's grammar for no ostensible reason except to show your superiority (ironically your own posts contain a number of errors), then make an unsupported claim about Melee and accuse its adherents of "[going] backwards".

It's not only clear that you started the argument, but also that you're a contentious prick.

Shai Hulud

Smash Lord
Just to be a douche I'm going to point out some (by no means is this list exhaustive) of Overswarm's grammatical errors in this thread.

Overswarm said:
I don't hate Melee. Melee is an awesome game. It's just that I've seen the evolution of games go half a dozen times before, and the people that hang back always have this rag-tag community ala street fighter that, while playing a fun game, have no real community at all after a decent amount of time.
The correct spelling is ragtag.

Overswarm said:
Knowing that, I'm just done with Melee. I'll stick with Brawl, get good at that, and then I'll be ahead of the game. Remember how infuriating it was going to tournaments for Melee when EVERYONE was leagues ahead of you? That'll never happen to me in Brawl. That's a good feeling.
"Get good" is grammatical nonsense.

Overswarm said:
The game is newer; that's really about it. If Brawl was first then Melee, people would be playing Melee. That's really all there is to it. Follow the money, you find the community, you find the competition. Just what I wanna do.
This is a comma splice, followed by a fragment (and the incorrect "wanna").

Overswarm said:
The first sentence is a comma splice. The last contains a subject-verb disagreement.

Overswarm said:
I'm just responding to people that quote me.
The correct pronoun is "who."

If you're going to be a ***** and act like the high and mighty amateur journalist you are, please don't correct people's grammar in a gaming forum until you learn to write yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom