• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Farewell to the Midwest

clowsui

Smash Legend
So this is my 10,000th post. This post and the 10,001th post are supposed to be together, but there's a character limit. Anyways...

Coincidentally, I'm leaving for North Carolina in 4 days, for grad school.

I figured this would be an appropriate way to dedicate this 'milestone' post.

For those who are fairly new to the Midwest tournament scene/Brawl scene, my name is Chi. I've been one of the eminent TOs in this area for the past five years. Along with Dr. X and Overswarm, I ran the first 30+ man SW OH tournament, and in doing so gave birth to a Brawl community in the area that was home to powerhouses such as Kel, Infern Angelis and Y.b.M.. Some of these people are here, even now, but not as active. I perpetuated this community by hosting and initiating many Smashfests and tournaments, including the School is in Session series and the Revenge series. In building this reputation as a strong TO, I've been able to happily assist others in their TO'ing efforts, including SKTAR, Phoenix Saga 3+4 and even EVO2013. So many great storylines and matches have occurred at these events; it's no surprise that I count these among my greatest memories and also my greatest accomplishments.

But enough of what I have done for the scene. What the scene has done for me is far more important. Before I entered the Smash community, I was completely un-confident, unaware of my leadership potential, and anti-social. The only thing I really liked a lot was competitive Smash, and I decided that since I couldn't travel, I would host events so everyone would come to me and I could improve. I figured that people would not like the mopey-me as a host or a friend, so I decided I'd put on a facade: a cocky, surefire kid who loved to talk trash but deserved respect for his knowledge and dedication. Seeing that people liked this "version" of me, I made an effort to be more confident, to take charge more consistently, and to be more talkative not just with Smashers, but with everyone.

It goes without saying that this made a world of difference for me, and that's really why I made this thread. I want to acknowledge certain individuals here that really shaped me into who I am today, and also recognize players and people that I owe a different sort of respect to. This is the best farewell I can think of. So without further ado...

#CHISPORTS SHOUTOUTS
PART 1: HOMIES FROM THE 513
Doctor X: shiesty TOs. You quit Brawl pretty quick but it's all thanks to you that we got such a momentum boost for the scene. Hope everything goes well for NERD Rage man.

Steel/DJ: I used to be such a slave driver about getting you better man. I think I've said this before but you have LOADS of talent at fighting games. When I didn't have a Wii I would live vicariously through your results, which is why I tried to work you to the bone lmao. In a way, I still do this kind of thing hahaha. Anyways, you were an amazing training partner despite all this. I'm going to pick up 2D fighters for real, and I hope we get to play soon.

Quivo: I still have those AIM logs from back then lol. Pre-Pound 3? MADNESS. You live in Columbus but you'll always be 513 to me. I just want to let you know that you're one of the big reasons that Smash really stuck with me. You were/are mad cool, and very talkative. Respect. Hope you never stop gaming br0.

Kel: It's weird to say this but back then I looked up to you more than anybody else as a player. In a way I still strive to be on the same level of play as you. All I've ever wanted from you was your respect as a player and your friendship. I don't know if I have either of those now (or if I've ever had those, lol), and in the end I suppose it doesn't matter because you don't really care what other people think of you nor do you really care about telling people what you think of them. But nevertheless I thought it was important to pay you some tribute.

Overswarm: You were always an enigma when I was younger, but now that I am older I understand you quite a bit more + better. You might seem callous and indifferent, but this is precisely the device you use to make sure other people are listening and thinking. Going through the process to realize and understand this concept - i.e. thinking 'outside the box' - made you into one of my most important teachers. Thank you.

e_/Dirac + Tyr: you two are hardly on Smashboards any more but getting to play you two all the time made me juiced as hell about Smash. Thanks for the games.

God Kais: I wanted to be part of your crew so bad. It motivated me to learn more and become better so I could be of use to you somehow. Little did I know that keeping the God Kais alive and growing didn't mean I had to be one. Here's to you guys.

Sorasin: you made me step away from Falco lol. For better or worse, when I realized that you were a way better Falco player than I could ever be, I had to seriously re-evaluate character choice. Beyond the game, you're also a great friend. I'm very sad we've only gotten to spend a little friend time together since I discovered this, but the times we've had have been great. Keep pushing to improve.

Luminoth: I think playing you a lot helped me break through the plateau. You're such a solid player man. You're also one of the most interesting people I've met LOL. You can't replicate this style of duggin' and anime swag anywhere. Just go to tournaments even when you're unmotivated. I guarantee you'll do mad good every time.

Sneakytako: I could say a lot of things but I think I'll go with this - thanks for the Mike Ross all these years

Kassandra: introducing you into the community really awakened me to the power I had and the leadership I possessed. I don't know if it was you who was responsible but I'm really happy that Smash has become such a big part of your life, in more ways than one =)

Daycia: I did not like/respect your TO'ing + argumentative style, but I appreciate what you did for the community in Cincinnati. For this I owe you thanks.

PART 2: HOMIES FROM IN/KY

Hilt: my partner in crime. I can barely remember how this all began...but we are pals 4 lyfe man. You are the best partner TO I could ever have. We complement each other in a lot of ways, and I'm glad we've always had this implicit understanding. I've also learned a lot from you as a result, and I'm sad we never got to host a national.

Xat chat: legendary (smirk1)

Excel: first off I just wanna say you used to be mad smelly, I'm glad your deodorant/shower game stepped the **** up. Secondly **** Talking Inc was 2 good, and I'm happy I had someone to grow alongside me, even though you got frustrated and fell behind. Man these sound like backhanded compliments but you know what I mean. We keep it 100.

Cr4sh: #chi$port$ you're freaking awesome, and brought so much hype to the early events. I'm glad you've been able to make some positive changes in your life. Makes me happy and inspires me to know that you're doing so well.

Count: you never visit these boards but knowing that my analytical ability was able to help you made me confident in my knowledge of the game (nevermind the fact that it led me to ignore the power of experience lol). You're also just a great friend all around.

DtJ Gaming: you all were the biggest factors that made me less uptight about Smash. Your goofiness and unique humor were so important for me, and still are important for me. I hope I can be part of DtJ someday soon; I'd be honored to hold it down with Smith in Gboro.

Renegade: **** you and your wack ass house tournament b. 14+ hours of hosting a tournament I didn't come to host. I remember that ****. Shoutouts to you for giving me the worst TO'ing experience of my life, and also the chance to prove to myself that I really loved TO'ing. Hope you never come back.

Krystedez: trying to understand your unconventional playstyle brought me to a new level of theory/comprehension about the game. You don't play the game now nor do you visit these boards probably, but thank you!

clowsui

Smash Legend
PART 3: HOMIES FROM OH/MI

King Beef: my eternal rival and greatest brother. I hope you continue to find happiness, and find your footing as a competitive player.

Alyssa: Girl you already know what it is! You da bess fren ever :3

Alphazealot + TheKiest: I really admired your TO'ing and learned so much from it. Thanks for MLG Columbus to AZ specifically and to both of you, thanks for all the other work you did for not just Ohio but Smash in general.

Smashfield: you were instrumental to the scene's vitality back then. I'm glad you all got involved; having rivals is important when it comes to improvement, and you all were so good at being that for us while remaining close friends. Plus your tournaments were dope as ****. One of the biggest reasons why MW Smash was the best region overall to be in back then, IMO.

Shugo: <3 shuggybear you put up with so much wifi in exchange for those essays. You really helped me get a lot better back then, and even outside the game I'm so glad I got to know you. Work hard so you can come to Cincinnati on a scholarship! You can do it.

Fizzle: gotta give a shoutout to this man even if there's no particular raison for it

Technical Chase/VerticalHorizon: Yo Derek, the work you did in MI really fueled me to try to push the envelope in Ohio, and even though it wasn't particularly successful, it was the fact that I committed to an effort that counts. Your mentoring and positive attitude during events really helped me out, too. You and I make a great team, and I'm sad that we also couldn't host a national together.

Lain: it sounds so stupid but seeing a successful Asian Brawl player made me so happy LOL. Shoutouts for being mad chill + good. I'll never forget seeing you beat M2K in WSF at Apex 2009.

Zinoto: seeing you succeed is my form of vicarious celebration. I do this to everyone I give advice to I guess but man your improvement is/was inspiring. Good ****in' stuff dude. You're also a great person! So keep pushin' on through. You're gonna do great things.

Juggleguy: best TO NA

Hot_Arms: shoutouts to grime

Juushichi: you deserve some mentions here for being the hidden boss TO of OH. Mad respect.

Samuraipanda: I still have your commentary guide from the BBR saved on my computer. Super useful

PART 4: HOMIES FROM DA MWW
Nicole: bonding w/ you was interesting and helped me figure out a few things for myself. This game is lame but you're a pretty swell person. We don't talk nearly enough these days but yeah. Miss you, and hope you're doing OK.
MJG: you already know. Shoutouts to midnight calls. ME NO C​
IL Brawl: EVERYONE in this community is freaking amazing. My home away from home. Barns, Arthur, Meneil, Akashi, Kirk, Sam, EG EnriqueOrtiz, Kappy (LOL (sun)(sun))...you all are too good. It was so awesome for me to visit, and my experiences in IL really cemented the idea of Smashers as a big family for me. For that, I can't thank you all enough.​
BPOW: you also already know. You are headed in the right direction. Keep at it.​
DeLux: Phil you are super underappreciated and often misunderstood. I admire you a lot and really wish I had had more chances to work with you, but we are alas too many miles apart. I hope to see you again someday. I want your autograph.​
Chloe: =^___^= meow​
-----------​
So ends my shoutouts and my farewell. For those of you who weren't included explicitly, have no fear. It's simply too difficult to include everyone who I interacted with on a meaningful level. If you didn't offend me, you talked to me more than a few times and you played me at some point in time, chances are I have only good things to say about you. Even if none of those criteria are met, I am pretty sure you're alright. I also have to go to work which is why I was rushing to finish these posts LOL.​
Thank you again for everything, MW Smash. The next step is NC, where I will be studying for a Master's in Applied Economics, learning Melee and maybe even learning 2D fighters. I don't know how often I can visit (if at all), but at the very least, whenever I get the chance to recommend someone to meet this family of mine, I will. Truly the greatest region. Nothing will ever top you.​
And remember...AaaAaAaaaaaAaaAA
#CHIIIIISPOOORRRTS
#MAXCPM

DeLux

Player that used to be Lux
I hope this is one of the rare occasions a big long "I'm Leaving" post doesn't turn into a quick and immediate return.

God speed

Exceladon City

Smash Hero
Some people go through a crusty phase. No offense taken. Your constant **** talking kept me motivated for a while. Maybe if we were closer in distance, there would've been some serious improvements. lol Good luck and have fun in NC!

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
Yo AhhHHHHhh!!
#CHIIIISPOOORTS!!

I've said this countless times but I'm really going to miss you, man. From Day 1 when you were that loud asian kid that didn't play Brawl enough to be good, until you beat me in tournament. Being a part of that every step of the way, watching you grow as both a player and a TO became important to me before I had even realized it. I enjoyed every set we've played in bracket and the countless money matches. You aren't joking when you say we compliment each other's TO styles extremely well. You're good at just about everything I'm not, when it comes to running and fueling a tournament, and vice versa. The revenge series was incredible to co-host with you and I loved every single moment of it.

There's going to be a hole in this region as large as when the original God Kais left. Enjoy yourself over there, my man. Best of luck with grad school.

MegaRobMan

Smash Hero
You can't escape my Marth ditto that easy.

I go to yearly North Carolina tournaments. I'll try and bring Bpow.

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Good stuff Clowsui! Continue to Smash on! Good luck with the next step in life, grad school isn't much fun so find a group to Smash with when you can!

clowsui

Smash Legend
Adam stop trolling me

Colten you're doing good work. Don't stop TO'ing you have a really good venue and a really big heart. Those are really important things for any smash community, and Columbus needs to become the place to be for tournies again.

Btw robots get no shoutouts so beep you beepo

DLA

"Their anguish was my nourishment."
NNID
DLAhhh
Good luck Chi. You're one of the most driven people I've met, I'm sure you'll succeed.

Ralph Cecil

Smash Champion
NNID
RalphCecil
3DS FC
4098-4850-8033
Good luck in NC. :D I want to thank you for motivating me to get better. I don't think I would've improved as much if I hadn't heard some comment from you at an OUGA tournament about how it was free when I did ok at it. That made me practice super hard for the next time I got the chance to play you and I just kept on going with it from there lol. Hope to see you at some other tournament or something in the future. D:

Juushichi

sugoi ~ sugoi ~
I said it before, but good luck in NC man. Still prob gonna hit you up on FB and over the phone as usual, no change it how things roll in that sense.

Know that you were and are appreciated and loved by the people not only here in the MW but those people that you've interacted with in the scene.

Nicole

Smash Champion
yer lucky i namesearch.

i'm sure we'll see each other again, and if not, we'll talk now and again as usual. seems like you got pretty much everything going for you right now, which is great! if i turn out half as successful as you i'll be doing quite well for myself haha. good luck with life, but dont forget to have a little irresponsible fun now and then :3

LOE1

Smash Lord
we didn't even do out mm you scrub

nah but thanks for training with me on wifi, and im sure we'll meet up again:)

Ori_bro

ignite the fire
Best of luck with your future endeavors my friend. I hope we cross paths down the road. You've been one of my favorite OH players and will always stay one.

DarkLouis331

Smash Lord
Best of luck with life and studies, dude. You'll do great, I'm sure. We had some great tourney matches awhile back and we should play Melee at APEX or Evo 2014 if you're going. (I should have the money to travel now.)

Top Bottom