• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Falco's spike - ineffective?

Onomanic

Heaven Piercer
Meh the match up may increase to a 55:45 but it will still be in Falco's favor. His lazers still gimp. :/ But it makes it easier to be CGed by the ledge ^_^

Ritch

Smash Journeyman
Meh the match up may increase to a 55:45 but it will still be in Falcon's favor. His lazers still gimp. :/ But it makes it easier to be CGed by the ledge ^_^
Falcon doesnt have lazers silly, lol

I will be practicing this soon, offline and online. I'm pretty sure Link can do it since its just teching

Izaw

Smash Ace
OMG O.O

This is pppppppperfeeect. Holy smoley batman

I gotta train on this. Riiiight now.

KirinBlaze

Smash Lord
NNID
KirinBlaze
I figured when I saw this I should show the Link players first Ich Bin's Xat chat, ftw.

This is too good, it's really going to help my Link in tourneys.

sasook

Smash Champion
Yeah, remember guys, this was Kirin's find, not mine. I just made the topic is all.

D

Deleted member

T_T

i'm hoping this is a toke jopic

Blubba_Pinecone

Smash Ace
It's made of win, but it's simultaneously made of epic difficulty to do consistantly in a battle. So cool, and hope I have the proper reaction time for it. lol

XxBlackxX

Smash Ace
oh no word got out!
lol haha j/k.

it does add more "mindgames" though, for examples, falcos can cg, then run off and NOT spike, if you expect a spike and SDI, you may end up doing a fair and edgehogged anyway. either way, it may hurt falcos at first but hopefully good for the metagame.

sasook

Smash Champion
its because this is old, but difficult to do 100% of the time

i get out of IC's dthrow > nana fair CG by SDI'ing the same way
-__-

You know, it would've been nice if like, you could have brought this to our attention earlier....in the NUMEROUS falco matchup discussions....just saying...

Even if it's old, I didn't see anything about it here, so I figured let's post it.

Legan

Smash Lord
Nice job bringing this to everyones attention. Arkives right, this can also be done with the iceclimbers chaingrab spike.

Chris.T.

Smash Rookie
this is actually old, but very hard to do. the top pros always do it in melee to escape a spike.

FEaR.7

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FEaR.7
I saw this yesterday at the Falco boards, certainly very helpul but Im gonna need to try it out/practice to see how consistetly I can pull it off.

I've heard of it before but I hadn't seen it till now.

Dingding123

Smash Journeyman
:O

...wha...

:O

Wow...this...this alone takes falco down a tier or two, now that all chars that can be easily gimped have a fighting chance against him. As a matter of fact, considering I've lost entire matches before solely due to a falco's CG to spike to edgehog/footstool, I'd say this might almost, if not entirely, even out the matchup between link/ike and falco. Just as long as u were FRIGGIN GOOD at this.

Now to find something that nerfs fox...xD

D

Deleted member

3 things

after actually sitting down and perfecting this, it is like the easiest thing ever

at 45% you can DI out of the chaingrab so don't even try for the tech at that % (that would be the 5th and final throw for you who don't know)

even if somehow you do miss the tech (lol) you can just meteor cancel it, which takes another 5 seconds of your life to learn

sasook

Smash Champion
3 things

after actually sitting down and perfecting this, it is like the easiest thing ever

at 45% you can DI out of the chaingrab so don't even try for the tech at that % (that would be the 5th and final throw for you who don't know)

even if somehow you do miss the tech (lol) you can just meteor cancel it, which takes another 5 seconds of your life to learn
O_o

That's a very strong post. Could you please go a little more in depth about those 3 things?

D

Deleted member

ok unless the falco player somehow gets perfect spacing on the last throw before the spike you don't have to SDI. if your % is UNDER 45% on the throw before the spike just hold back and tech normally. if your % is 45% or higher DI away. the only time you have to SDI is if you get grabbed while you're teetering on the ledge.

meteor canceling in this game is sort of different than meteor canceling in melee, you don't have the meteor glow **** coming off of you after you meteor cancel in this game.

(this sentence deserves its own line) to meteor cancel jump or up b once hit stun ends. link has a fairly small window to meteor cancel and survive but its easy once you practice it.

@ legan: you're right you can tech the IC spike but i was talking about getting out of the chaingrab, not hte spike.

if the IC you're fighting does the popo dthrow, nana spike, regrab whenever nana hits you with the fair tap both sticks back and you should land behind them.

Deva

Smash Lord
Also if the CG goes to the very edge and your below 40 there's a chance even with sdi you wont make it close enough to the stage to tech it :/

This is like, really old melee stuff, no one does it in Brawl cuz of how much harder it is though. I mean, if your in the situation and have no other choice go for it, it's just pretty tough to pull off.

sasook

Smash Champion
ok unless the falco player somehow gets perfect spacing on the last throw before the spike you don't have to SDI. if your % is UNDER 45% on the throw before the spike just hold back and tech normally. if your % is 45% or higher DI away. the only time you have to SDI is if you get grabbed while you're teetering on the ledge.

meteor canceling in this game is sort of different than meteor canceling in melee, you don't have the meteor glow **** coming off of you after you meteor cancel in this game.

(this sentence deserves its own line) to meteor cancel jump or up b once hit stun ends. link has a fairly small window to meteor cancel and survive but its easy once you practice it.

@ legan: you're right you can tech the IC spike but i was talking about getting out of the chaingrab, not hte spike.

if the IC you're fighting does the popo dthrow, nana spike, regrab whenever nana hits you with the fair tap both sticks back and you should land behind them.
This post deserves an award in it of itself.

*sasook's seal of approval*

Ok so under 45%, hold the control stick towards the stage and tech, and 45% or higher, hold away from the stage so avoid the spike?

And thanks for the Nana tip.

Metro Knight

Smash Ace
What if someone like D3 or DK spikes you with the throw or the b-air? It seems like it would be way more useful versus someone who relies on a stage spike. I definitely use walls and stuff to cancel things in weegee's mansion, so why not versus those 2 nasty spikes.

sasook

Smash Champion
Teching when someone tries to stage spike is.....just teching. Nothing really special about it, you just need quick reflexes.

Teching on the stage against a spike that isn't meant for you to hit the stage in the first place, is something else entirely.

Toten

Smash Rookie
Can someone explain slowly how this technique works? And can you do it with Link too? Because Link can't get stucked on walls, like Falco or Pikachu or Toon Link.

D

Deleted member

i got to practice against an IC main in my crew today and its just as easy as falco's tech if anybody wanted to know

o btw after you tech the spike jump back onto the stage as fast as you can, if you don't tech jump and jump back onto the stage you can still be edge guarded

Metro Knight

Smash Ace
like wall teching versus a stage spike isn't the meteor cancel thing? I thought he was just wall teching. Can you wall tech D3's bair or DK's throw in smashville?

Swordplay

Smash Lord
i got to practice against an IC main in my crew today and its just as easy as falco's tech if anybody wanted to know

o btw after you tech the spike jump back onto the stage as fast as you can, if you don't tech jump and jump back onto the stage you can still be edge guarded
Solution, don't get grabbed.

Impossible you say?

Then don't get grabbed without a bomb. Always have a bomb and always bomb spam.

Metro Knight

Smash Ace
The bomb solution does not always work in your favor, sometimes they just hold you out there and you take damage and they just throw you some more....

D

Deleted member

like wall teching versus a stage spike isn't the meteor cancel thing? I thought he was just wall teching. Can you wall tech D3's bair or DK's throw in smashville?
what the hell are you talking about

Solution, don't get grabbed.

Impossible you say?

Then don't get grabbed without a bomb. Always have a bomb and always bomb spam.
that was the dumbest thing i've heard in a while

its impossible to NOT get grabbed, you have to be fighting somebody terrible for them not to grab you at least once. i hit with the tip of link's sword every time and i still get grabbed enough to inflict an *** load of damage by D3 and IC

Metro Knight

Smash Ace
Ok, so you know when you hit a wall and hold l/r and it stops the bounce, can you do that in smashville versus the angled ramp thing? U know the d3 bair or the dk throw spike on the stage? Can you cancel the bounce?

In the video he is totally doing it versus Falco's spike. So, why can't you do that versus d3 or DK?

Top Bottom