• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Falco's Fair gimp on Diddy

King Funk

Int. Croc. Alligator
All credits to Gregs (Netherlands). He has been using this for a long time, especially vs Istudying, a very good dutch Diddy Kong.

Annoyed by Diddy's recovery? Want a near-100% sure way of killing him?
You'll be surprised to have to use Falco's worst move: Fair.

Fair has very high priority. If you touch Diddy Kong on his up-b with ANY hit of Fair, it will cause Diddy's rocket barrel to crash instantly. He will fall pretty low and will only be able to re-use up-b at a point where he's pretty much dead. So basically, Diddy below the stage = dead monkey.

How to make it happen?

If Diddy is right below the edge, or in any situation where he will want to aim for the edge with up-b, you can grab the edge and drop with Fair without fastfalling (control stick away from the stage + c-stick to Fair). And this can potentially be set up by a chaingrab to spike. Keep an eye out for the flying barrel though. =D

There are surely other ways to use Fair to gimp Diddy. It's up to us all to test it out. ^^

What can it change in the matchup?

Most Diddy Kong players aim for the edge with up-b. But when they know most Falco players will start Fair gimping them, that tendency will change heavily and you'll see more of them aiming onstage rather than sweetspotting the edge. And that, of course, is very punishable (ledgehop Bair, ledgehop reverse Fair, phantasm if they touch the ground onstage, etc.). Basically, this can cripple Diddy's recovery options very effectively.

VIDEO EXAMPLE HERE!
___

I know this seems very wacky, but it works. I tried it out.

I'll update this thread with more info and ideas as they come out. If someone could record video examples it would be nice.

And once again, all credits given to Gregs.

Yumewomiteru

Smash Master
NNID
yumewomiteru
known this for a while, but make sure you dont fair too early, as Diddy can charge the barrel and up b spike you and recover.

Good to do from a CG Spike, could very well take the stock if he chooses to go straight up rather then di away and recover diagonally, in which case bair him constantly.

pulse131

Smash Ace
so on a first shot just immediately after spiking nab the edge and let go and start a fair right away? does it work while hes charging it or when hes flying or both?

King Funk

Int. Croc. Alligator
I haven't tried while he's charging it but it definitely works when he's flying.

To be sure I don't **** up I:
- watch carefully what he's aiming for
- if he aims for the edge I only start the fair right when he releases the up-b, never before
- if he aims for above, ledgehop bair all dai

EDIT: There's too few people who know about this, and I can't believe this hasn't ever been brought up on the Falco boards.

DFEAR

Smash Hero
cg> spike offstage (no sdi)> grab ledge> watch whether or not diddy charges upB>let go of ledge (non-FF)>bair (the lasting hitbox will hit)

works on uncharged or charged barrels and will never trade with falco's bair...meaning diddy will die an almost 0-death based on a 50-50 prediction (without sdi of course)

-xaltis

King Funk

Int. Croc. Alligator
cg> spike offstage (no sdi)> grab ledge> watch whether or not diddy charges upB>let go of ledge (non-FF)>bair (the lasting hitbox will hit)

works on uncharged or charged barrels and will never trade with falco's bair...meaning diddy will die an almost 0-death based on a 50-50 prediction (without sdi of course)

-xaltis
Bair doesn't always cause the crash. Fair is like 5 or 6 hits and ANY of them causes it.

jamesfoote

Smash Rookie
I tried this technique out and it works fairly well against characters, thanks for the advice.

MetalMusicMan

Sleepwalk our lives away.
I love gimping recoveries with F-air. I do it to spacies, Diddy, and other characters depending on the situation and if I think the risk is worth it.

pulse131

Smash Ace
i tried it against a cpu diddy. at times it seemed like a not so good option and i had trouble predicting it. i dont prolly need to try it on a person.
@shmot. hey whered you get that picture of your avi? i remember screen picking that when watching through the series and posting it on my aib wall a little while back.

ADHD

Smash Hero
**** that ******.

Just be careful, bc if the barrels are too you may end up getting gimped.

-DR3W-

Smash Champion
NNID
DrewTheAsher
The smallest things can make the best difference. Good ****.

pulse131

Smash Ace
still think bair is just as good simply cuz its so much safer. even if it dosnt give diddy 9 months of laag

King Funk

Int. Croc. Alligator
Hey Pulse, CPU Diddy ALWAYS goes onstage, that's why it wouldn't work much. And if you can't do it on a Diddy that up-b's directly on the edge from below then you're doing it wrong.

Use bair if he tries to go onstage.
Use fair if he aims for the edge.
Beware of the barrel.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
No, it works with fair. Gregs did it to istudy in tourney not even two weeks ago. I know it was recorded, I just hope it gets uploaded soon enough so you can see how it works.

:059:

Rising Fair should be safe right? I think it would keep falco's momentum upwards and prevent him from being hit by the barrel.

Bloodcross

Smash Champion
Known this for a while. But, stop FIGHTING CPU Diddys and just test CG Spike to Fair gimp in training mode. It works really well.

Following CG Spike: If Diddy doesn't DI, Fair. If Diddy DI's away from the stage, Bair. If Diddy DI's on the stage, no gimp.

Fair gimps can also work on Bowser, DK, and Spacies (Fair guarantees 0 death on Fox). That's all I know of atm.

King Funk

Int. Croc. Alligator
Btw in the possible case the barrel hits you, be a pro a TECH THE MOTHER****ING EDGE. =D

To Larry: You're facing ADHD in your 5th round of winners bracket at MLG Raleigh. Make sure you use it vs him! =D

Yumewomiteru

Smash Master
NNID
yumewomiteru
iirc, f-air also hits more outward without hitting upward, which makes it better for this purpose.
Doesn't matter which direction he is hit at all because diddy will inter much lag after getting hit out of Up-B. And fair is better cuz it lasts longer.

lmao I'm losing so much respect for the BBR

napZzz

Smash Hero
its not like you're gonna miss the timing for this since its shorter, diddy goes down and back up to the stage in a short amount of time, I think nair starts faster and it hits all around him

does the fair have a hitbox behind falco as well?

Yumewomiteru

Smash Master
NNID
yumewomiteru
fair doesn't have a hitbox behind falco, but its best used when diddy is going straight up, although sh ff fair on a diagonally recovering diddy could be interesting too.

anyways diddy's recovery can be released in a wide range of time so the longer the move lasts the better.

napZzz

Smash Hero
if you fast fall nair it probably covers everywhere from where it starts at the top to the bottom of the screen

Top Bottom