• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Falcon + Tourney = ? *Results on Page 2* *VIDEOS UP FIRST POST*

KeyKid19

Smash Ace
So I'm heading out to my first Brawl tourney this weekend. The event is actually doing a Melee/Brawl weekend (Melee tomorrow, Brawl Sunday), so I'll be able to do a nice compare and contrast of Falcon for everyone there. lol I don't plan on doing well at all in the Melee bracket since I don't play Melee that often anymore and certainly not often enough to be really good with Falcon. I'm still going to go for some glory though. As long as I remember not to roll like in Brawl I think I'll do ok. lol

Anyways, the real interesting day for me will be Sunday. I'm really interested to see how my Falcon does against everyone else there. I'm not expecting to win a majority of matches or anything, but if I happen to do well that'd be great. Like I said this is my first Brawl tourney so I'll finally get at least a decent look into the new "competitive" scene (some may argue that there is no true competitive scene in Brawl, hence the " "). All of my previous experience with Brawl has been either on Wi-Fi (ugh) or with my friends who are borderline competitive but still partially casual (they would beat pretty much any casual I think but they don't beat me and I'm not that good of a competitive player in the first place so they are probably better than casual but rock bottom of competitive, if competitive at all. I dunno. Just go with it). So yeah I can't wait to actually play some legit competitive matches.

I'll be sure to post my results come Monday. Besides that though, has anyone else been to any tourneys with Falcon? I know Iwan has some competitive experience with really good players, but has anyone else touched the competitive scene yet? If so what were your results?

VIDEOS: http://smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=4568384&postcount=470

Unfortunately none of the videos that were taken have me in them, but I would highly recommend the Winners Bracket Finals, Losers Bracket Finals, and Grand Finals 1st Set to you all. I don't know where the Grand Finals 2nd Set is, but if the guy adds them I will be sure to find them too.

Pubik Vengeance

Smash Journeyman
I wish you the best man.

Is there anyway you could get some videos up from Sunday?

Again, good luck, and show them Falcon isn't as bad as everyone makes him out to be.

KeyKid19

Smash Ace
Just a local one here in Tampa. I found out about it in the Regional Zones forum. The link is here: http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=161659

Now that I think about it, in order to save money I don't think I'll even enter the Melee tourney. lol I'll still try and get some Melee friendlies in though if the people aren't THAT nuts. lol The people in the thread act like they're pretty godly at Melee though so I'm scared. lol

goodoldganon

Smash Champion
Good luck Key. See if someone is recording the vids and try and link them to us later. I think you are going to run into a lot of MKs and Snakes, two tough matchups in my opinion.

KeyKid19

Smash Ace
I wish you the best man.

Is there anyway you could get some videos up from Sunday?

Again, good luck, and show them Falcon isn't as bad as everyone makes him out to be.
The host said that videos will be taken of the tourneys, so HOPEFULLY that will actually happen. Otherwise I don't really have the resources necessary to transfer my recording setup over to the tourney. I'll definitely be asking about the video thing though once I get there. Hopefully they won't be videos of me getting crushed!

KeyKid19

Smash Ace
Good luck Key. See if someone is recording the vids and try and link them to us later. I think you are going to run into a lot of MKs and Snakes, two tough matchups in my opinion.
Thanks. :)

And sadly I fear you're right. I'd much rather face Snake than Meta, Olimar, Pit, or Pikachu though. Snake is at least hittable with all of my attacks and can also be gimped (although so can Olimar).

SirroMinus1

SiNiStEr MiNiStEr
NNID
Ajarudaru
good luck. if you fight a rob or peach your done falcon dont do to well i just got back from a tourney but didnt participate

Iwan

Smash Ace
I'll be sure to post my results on sunday...I'm going to the C3 tournament in Northern VA tomorrow morning. Last tourney had about 50 people show up and play, so the turn-out should be pretty good. AZ, Chillen, and Chu are at that LAN center fairly often, so they should be there.

I've been to my fair share of tournies so i'm not very nervous, although I haven't played this level caliber players (aside from friendlies) since my last MLG event.

Very high chance i get my *** kicked :p.
But good luck Key :).

Remember, if they're a smartass, be a smartass back.
Don't just play mindgame via brawl...play mind games.
via...
their mind.

...haha....^^totally kidding.

IcantWin

Smash Journeyman
I've got a tourney myself in a few days, but I wish you the best of luck Key, when you get back we'll play some wifi (if you're not all brawled out by then). Still no SD card, so maybe you can upload some of the matches we play, would be a nice substitute until I can get my replays that have been rotting on my wii up.

KeyKid19

Smash Ace
Ok. So I'm back from Day 1, and I'm fairly pleased with my results.

Today was Melee and since my Melee game has gone by the wayside, I decided to save some money and not enter the tourney. However, I did get a lot of friendlies in on Melee and some on Brawl so I got a good look into the competition.

Melee:

I actually WON a few matches against some pretty good Melee players (from what I could tell). Sometimes my lack of tech-ness in comparison to the competition made me bite some hard stuff, but overall I'd say I did very well for only using L-Canceling and Teching. lol After like 8 matches I finally got back into the Melee mode and I started to play a lot better. Falcon is SOOOOO good. lol I'd say I was probably in the bottom 25% of the Melee faithful but still that felt like quite an accomplishment to me since I haven't really played Melee very much since Brawl came out (and the rest of the people were very good). So yeah I felt like my Melee day was a success.

Brawl:

I. HATE. METAKNIGHT. Seriously. There is one guy at the tourney who has a REALLY good Metaknight, and honestly I could not really do anything against him. I felt really proud of myself the like one time I wasn't two stocked. lol Otherwise, I did pretty well. Unfortunately I still had the Melee blood flowing so I did some stupid stuff that would've worked if I was still playing Melee, but I wasn't so it didn't work.

The highlight of the day was when I got a quadruple Knee (not a combo really at all but still 4 Knees in a row) and everyone started saying "WTF? That's not allowed to happen in Brawl. Someone stop this." lol I was laughing so hard. Besides that, my main accomplishments of the day in Brawl were that I beat the host's R.O.B. (who was actually very good, he was beating most people he played with his R.O.B.) and I beat a Snake. Unfortunately I didn't get that many Brawl matches in, but overall I'd say I did pretty well. I at least got people saying stuff like "man, I didn't think Falcon had ANYTHING going for him in Brawl" and "who knew Falcon was still playable?" Tomorrow when the tourney comes around I'll get you guys some hard results and such.

P.S. Battlefield, Final Destination, Smashville, Yoshi's Island, and Lylat Cruise get REALLY old REALLY quick. Luckily I got to work in some matches at Pirate Ship, Green Hill Zone, and Halberd. :)

TokiDoki

Smash Journeyman
Hey, key can I play your falcon sometime?
Though I live in Cali so the lag would be pretty bad>.> I wanna see how well I play against your falcon

KeyKid19

Smash Ace
Ok so I'm back. Here's my results:

Teams: 9th out of 13 (Falcon and Ike)
Singles: 17th out of 25 (Falcon)

Honestly though I lost all day.

Doubles:

My friend and I lost 2-0 to the Teams Runner-Up in the first round (Meta + Snake) and then 2-1 to the 4th Place Team (Olimar + R.O.B.). I had a SICK "combo" on R.O.B. in the second match. It was something along the lines of Dthrow -> Uair -> Land -> Edgeguard Bair -> Double Jump -> Reverse Uair -> Falcon Dive -> KO. Right after it finished the audience all bust out in "OHHHH!! Falcon bringing the ****!!!" lol It was so funny. Some people were even talking about it in "combo" of the day discussions. lol The match was at Pirate Ship so I was able to use UpB away from the stage aggressively. But yeah the next match wasn't as good. Unfortunately my partner had the bad habit of killing himself a lot, so in pretty much every match (3 stock) he'd steal one of my lives because he had already died 3 times by the time I died once. lol Then I'd die and we'd be ****ed. lol So even though we lost both sets and only won one match, I still would say I played pretty well within the matches. The only time I really got dominated was in the first set against the Metaknight (runner up in teams and 3rd in singles).

Singles:

I got a bye in the first round so that was cool, but the cool soon stopped when I realized that I had to play the winner of the aformentioned Metaknight and the DeDeDe that would go on to be runner up in singles and placed 5th in doubles. Luckily I got the DeDeDe so it wasn't an instant lose on my part. The first match was at Smashville and I'm pretty sure I got him down to his last stock shortly before I died. I counterpicked to Lylat Cruise (neutrals only at this point in the tourney) and got 2 stocked. Seeing as how the match wasn't going well, I went for an UpB edgeguard way away from the stage because I needed something very desperately, and so when I missed (barely) I fell to my death and got 2 stocked. Had it worked it would've been one stock each with me at like 17% or something. So yeah I didn't do THAT terribly for going up against the runner up. lol

In my second match, I was up against a Falco/Zamus who ended up finishing 13th. This series was crap. lol Seriously. In the first match, I beat his Falco at Final Destination (terrible map to face Falco at). Then he counterpicked to ****ING RAINBOW CRUISE (AAARGH I HATE THAT MAP SO MUCH!!!) and I got stage gimped twice. Even after dying twice from the stage, I still almost won the match. Then in the third match I counterpicked to Lylat Cruise which prompted him to switch to Zamus. Once again, stage gimped. I swear, Lylat is the new Battlefield. Edges of doom. Anyways, so after getting level gimped there as well, it came down to us both having over 130% and he got me with a SideB when I landed on the stage thinking that I was going to grab the edge. So yeah, quite disappointing. I've been kicking myself for hours now over letting that set go.

CONCLUSION:

The good news of this entire extravaganza is that people started noticing Falcon. There was another Falcon in the singles tourney, but he was not very good from what I saw. However, I was able to impress quite a few people with my Falcon. Even the Singles and Doubles winner asked me for a Falcon ditto (we never got to do it because I had to leave before the tourney was completely over). So yeah, even though I lost pretty much all day long, it still was a blast and still did some good for Falcon's rep.

This tourney really opened my eyes to just how good some people are at Brawl. My friend and I did a bunch of team friendly matches with the doubles winners (Game & Watch + Metaknight) before the tourney started, and they freaking ***** us everytime. They were both the best I've ever seen on their characters. The Metaknight guy even decided to take my friend and me both on at once by himself, and he won. It was thoroughly embarassing. lol But it was still fun. The worst part is that we were up 3-1 in stock count at one point, and he still pulled off the comeback.

So yeah, I already want to go to another tourney. I feel like I'm better already just from playing with so many different REALLY GOOD people today and developing new strategies and such. I still suck in the grand scheme of Brawl, but I don't think I'm hopelessly bad. It felt good to at least be fairly competitive with some of the best players there.

Comments?

KeyKid19

Smash Ace
I don't remember Top 5, but I will tell you what I know:

Singles:

1. Game & Watch
2. King DeDeDe
3. Metaknight

Doubles:

1. Game & Watch + Metaknight (this Metaknight did not participate in singles but the G&W is the same one that won singles)
2. Snake + Metaknight (this Metaknight is the one who took 3rd in singles. No idea how the Snake did)

Iwan

Smash Ace
Very nice key...it sounds like you did fairly well, especially for your first tournament.

I had a tournament this morning as well, and did better than I expected.

So since I'm broke, i had to choose between doubles or singles...my friend and I were top of the GB ladder for teams for quite some time, so of course he was like "PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE."

I said **** him...lol :p. I wanted to do singles with Falcon :).

Anyway, i placed 23rd out of 48 people, which Im pretty proud of. I guess you could say the bracket worked out in my favor until i got matched up with "Azen's Friend"...i have no idea who he is, and neither did anyone else, but He'll make himself known throughout the brawl pro scene (if that ever comes to fruition). He destroyed me, and had the best Ike i've ever played by a long shot (seriously....talk about mindgaming someone, he ***** me).

I had a close match with a snake that I ended up winning in "way over the top dramatic" fashion. This kid was shielding way too much during the end of the match...i air dodged over him, raptor boosted back towards him, and actually broke his shield with the raptor boost. You know where it went from there..."SHOW ME YOUR MOVES!">>Falcown Paawnch :). The crowd went pretty nuts....it was fun haha :).

I didnt have to play one pikachu (thank god), or Olimar...so really I like to think I lucked out. I would have lost those matches for sure, because i simply SUCK against those two. Four of my matches came down to the last game of the best of three, my hands were so sweaty lol :p (people were actually making fun of how sweaty my hands were...haha). I beat some random's Ike the last game of a best of three by two stocks, which I've never done before (two stocked an Ike with Falcon).

Being the first BIG brawl tourney I've been to since the games release, I realized how much I had missed the tournament scene. It's been too long since melee and I'm glad things are getting kicked off at the LAN center near my house :).

Also, just as key said, people were impressed with falcon. One person said "I didn't think Falcon was playable...", and the hilarious comment of the day (several times during the course of the day), was this hilarious fat kid that shouted "FALCOOWN RAAAAAPE" everytime i landed a knee/punch/spike. Haha...it was. hilarious.

There was one other falcon main there, and we played doubles friendlies against a team that finished in the top 12. We got crushed:), but it was fun :p.

Very nice to hear you faired decently Key......and to answer your question you've asked my so many times...."Do you still think Falcon has potential?" To be honest? I don't know...I'm not sure. He has so many disadvantages. But the better you become as a player, the better you can make your character, really no matter who you choose to play (in my opinion, of course). I think i played well today, probably the best I've played since I've had brawl, but really? Potential or not, I don't care where Falcon stands. I realized today that I simply love playing as him, love getting the shocking remarks or glances from people when i pick him on the character select screen, and absolutely love getting the crowd behind me (i was cheered on EVERY match because i was using Falcon).

Most of all....I realized how awesome the smash community is. Really, sometimes i seem to forget.

I.
Love.
This.
Game.

bakedbeans

Smash Rookie
I also went out for my first tourney Sunday (C3 in ashburn, VA)... didnt go so well for me either =/

Using falcon, I aced the first round... only to get matched up against the reigning local champ in the second round.

In the first game, I got two stocked vs marth... I guess thats the best I could hope for considering the difference in skill and what an uphill battle that is character wise. Then in the second round, I got desperate and decided to pull out my snake (which I hadnt played for about 3 weeks). Bad idea--I ended up getting 3 stocked that game, with two of my deaths due to air dodging during recovery before I got safely over the edge. I doubt it woulda made a difference if I stuck with my falcon, but even still I regret not doing so =/

At least it was somewhat enjoyable, but I doubt im going to be at any more tournaments unless its either very cheap or convenient to enter.

edit - Iwan, were you the falcon I had a few friendlies with after the doubles (I was in the pink suit named steve)?

Iwan

Smash Ace
I also went out for my first tourney Sunday (C3 in ashburn, VA)... didnt go so well for me either =/

Using falcon, I aced the first round... only to get matched up against the reigning local champ in the second round.

In the first game, I got two stocked vs marth... I guess thats the best I could hope for considering the difference in skill and what an uphill battle that is character wise. Then in the second round, I got desperate and decided to pull out my snake (which I hadnt played for about 3 weeks). Bad idea--I ended up getting 3 stocked that game, with two of my deaths due to air dodging during recovery before I got safely over the edge. I doubt it woulda made a difference if I stuck with my falcon, but even still I regret not doing so =/

At least it was somewhat enjoyable, but I doubt im going to be at any more tournaments unless its either very cheap or convenient to enter.

edit - Iwan, were you the falcon I had a few friendlies with after the doubles (I was in the pink suit named steve)?
lol no man...the falcon i played with was playing with the handle "fish". I missed another falcon player? :(....sucks....so i guess there were three of us there? Niiiiiice.....haha...more than i thought would be there.

lol so you had a pretty good time? Wish i had met you man...it's always nice to see another player using falcon. I'd of cheered you on for sure :).

KeyKid19

Smash Ace
Nice job, Iwan. I'm proud that you at least had decent success with Falcon. I'm actually pretty optimistic about him after all of these results, because I know in my case a lot of my losses really came down to me being clearly worse as a player, and not so much the character matchups. I'm surprised just how good some people are at Brawl. They just know exactly what to do to win. It's crazy.

Oh, one last note I forgot to say yesterday: I got an UpB stage spike on the singles runner up when he tried to edgehog me! lol It was so funny. He looked pissed when it happened. lol Everyone was like "WOAH!" when it happened. Good times. But yeah like you said tourneys are a blast. Best way to play Brawl. If you think the game sucks, I advise you to go to a tourney. It will likely change your mind at least a little bit.

Testament27

Smash Journeyman
ive come to realize one can not expect to win big tournies with falcon alone. some of the most used characters are all VERY tough matches for falcon.

think there are some matches where he is appropriate. actually, a good falcon can work a lot of chars. its when you hit the professional pikachu, mk, and ic players when you need to bust out a different character. its one thing to beat your brother's pikachu but completely different when you are talking about professional players.

just being realistic. some falcon matchups are like putting your face in a bear trap as is, and when you take into consideration the professional aspect, you should really pick a different character.

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
I'm going to laugh my *** off if it turns out Falcon ends up dominating the tourney scene, despite being a so called "horrid character."

Ayaz18

Smash Champion
Luckily no IC were at my tourney thankfully. :) Plenty of Metas though (UGH!).
lucky lucky, when I went to my first tourny a couple weeks ago I had to face off with ambross (after this one luigi miss-fired and killed me :mad: ) and he was argueably was the best IC player there, and at the time i had never seen the chain throw actually work with IC, so needless to say a got owned, second round I got him to last stock by getting rid of nana

SexyDoodles

Smash Journeyman
Hey guys, good stuff Key. Keep repping Falcon, he is the best character. I went to a brawl tourney a few days ago and mained Falcon the whole way. It was a San Diego Triweekly held at UCSD. :D

I went 0 - 2 in teams, but my partner got pwned :p I actually did pretty well in singles though:
7th out of 64 entrants :3

I was actually really surprised how well I did, I was expecting to go 0 - 2 in singles, too. xD I even beat some pretty good players, including PsychoMidget... though he did go Yoshi in one of the matches. xD I lost to DSF and Mango so... I'm not too beat up about that.

anyway, I won around 4-5 matches, I don't remember. I could do a write up on my matches later if you guys are interested.

go falcon xD

Captainbrawl

Smash Apprentice
I'm doing a Brawl tournament. It's not "official" just on another site.

64 entrants and theres a lot of good people there. I'm going to see how well i do in it. Normally i would use Fox but i've decided just to have fun!

Whats more fun then Kneeing someone in the face? lol

KeyKid19

Smash Ace
SexyDoodles: AWESOME job in singles man. Reading your post made me smile. We should Falcon ditto sometime, I'm really curious to see what your playstyle is. :)

Ayaz and CaptainBrawl: Best of luck. Give 'em hell.

abit rusty: Thanks. I appreciate it.

By the way there is a tourney going on this weekend about 30 mins from my house, so if I'm not stuck doing something I'm going to try and make it out to it. If I do make it out there I plan on having much more success this time. Now that my first Brawl tourney is done, I think I'll have much stronger nerves and such. I'll let you guys know what's up in a few days.

SexyDoodles

Smash Journeyman
Ah well, I don't play online really, the lag is just too much for me to bear. But maybe we could sometime, if you wanted to.

I dunno if i'll be able to do that well again, it really does seem like a fluke to me. xD I'll go to another tourney sometime and report my results after it's over.

falcon is tooooooo good(bad) XDDD

Top Bottom