• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Falco Q&A

Falcinho

Smash Ace
and when you need a break just lightshield and eat a snack.

In case Samus tries to grab, buffer sth, laugh at her and hit her eventually

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
Ive found uair to be pretty effective, and since samus dies easily off the top its not the worse choice imo.

Does that sound reasonable or just complete bs lol?!?

Meneks

Smash Lord
Another question, Do i play against ic's the same way i do samus? Do i go for grabs? pillars? play around the platforms? spam?...Also the falco vs shiek matchup is kind of weird due to the fact that shiek is shaped weirdly to me idk why, I know how to play it I just wanted to ask what approaches do you guys find the most useful to use in that matchup.

TresChikon

Smash Lord
Nana will just smack u out of your already crummy grabs.

They are kind of ridiculous in the air, so platform play doesn't sound like a bad idea.

bboyamir

Smash Rookie
How about those double shines w/ falco (or fox, but fox is ****ing hard). i've searched mad threads for the best controller input for double/triple shines, and most ppl say b y b. 2 questions:

1. do you just slide your thumb across y and b, or tap them both quickly? maybe you need a fat thumb, so you can have one end on y, on end on b, and just sort of roll it?

2. does anyone use the joystick on this? i've actually found that sliding my finger from y to b doesn't work as consistently for me as smashing the joystick up and right back down for a shine. the only problem is i really have to pre-meditate them if i wanna use the joystick (get my thumb ready to oscillate) , but sliding from y to b i can do more spontaneously, as a reaction. is the preference unanimous for b y b y b y b y ????

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
I want to expect better of you, but I know not to
I use Y -> B. I get a lot of questions about this, since I use X to jump and Y to double shine/shine out of shield, and Ledge Hop Double Laser, so I'll try to post a picture of my hand positioning soon. I used to use up, but I ultimately found it too hard.

ArcNatural

Banned ( ∫x, δx Points)
I just press Y with the tip of my thumb and B with the middle of my thumb, this also makes waveshining and shffl nair shining really fast as well.

JPOBS

Smash Hero
i use X->B but the second shine is a short hopped shine for me by virtue of timing and space issues between the two buttons. i used to use joystick to but yea i find pre meditation of the move is crucial so i just poke shileds with the second shine on the top then do watever.

do watever works

ArcNatural

Banned ( ∫x, δx Points)
So ur thumb is like on 3 buttons at once?
Yeah kind of, just think of it like a triangle. I'm always sort of hovering around Y and in the middle of B and A. So B -> Y -> A or B -> Y -> BB are pretty easy once you get used to it. Learning to use the C-stick with the middle of your thumb helps a lot too.

Minimizing the distance needed to press buttons will give you more time and help you be more precise in the long run.

TresChikon

Smash Lord
Whoa, that'll be my next achievement.

Sounds a bit weird to get used to compared with just flicking my thumb around. Or i could just smash my thumbs so it gets abnormally large.

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
Ill be honest, when I double shine-it looks like im button mashing. its quite funny tho, but I dont know exactly what im inputting-

I use a combination of up on stick and slide from b, across a, to x.

shine, move stick up slightly, shine, slide to x. Its something like that but it varies if I do shine aerials or something.

Ocho(*8*)

Smash Ace
if you're doing falco dittoes and you get shined and all the opponent does is wavedash after you and shine again (No Dair) what percent can you shine out of this combo?

TresChikon

Smash Lord
if you're doing falco dittoes and you get shined and all the opponent does is wavedash after you and shine again (No Dair) what percent can you shine out of this combo?
Wait so he's trying to juggle you with shine or something? That'd be interesting if Falco's shine had a set knockback like Fox.

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
Wait so he's trying to juggle you with shine or something? That'd be interesting if Falco's shine had a set knockback like Fox.
if by interesting you mean inherently broken, then yes, I agree.

juggling with just shine is easy and frequently a good idea to do after your first shine vs. fast fallers @ super low %s, but doing more than 3 shines in a row is silly and incorrect and I believe that everyone can jump out by then.

Sraigux

Smash Journeyman
I notice lots of the pros use a shine to bair combo in quick succession, where the shine does not send them up before the bair hits. I have tried this but my opponent is just sent into the sky even after JCing the shine. Any ideas?

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
well, the shine always sends them upwards, it's just that as you move upwards with your jump, you follow them and bair them before they get particularly high. in order to do this, the shine needs to be in the air, because when you're on the ground, Falco doesn't get airborne from his jump until frame 6, meaning that your jump (and subsequently bair) is delayed enough that you can't effectively do it. in midair, you are instead double jumping to cancel the shine, which allows for an immediate bair since you're already airborne.

Rannskita

Smash Journeyman
just do add on the subject, at low percents its possible to miss it from them going too low. if im just practising shine bairs i can do it from 0>200 on foxes (it changes with character obv), but it midmatch i often miss if theyre at low percents as im not fast enough to bair before i rise above them, as well as if theyre very high percents its easy to miss

tl;dr try practising in training mode setting the opponent to different percents, master a range youre comfortable at, then get faster for lower/higher percents

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
well, the shine always sends them upwards, it's just that as you move upwards with your jump, you follow them and bair them before they get particularly high. in order to do this, the shine needs to be in the air, because when you're on the ground, Falco doesn't get airborne from his jump until frame 6, meaning that your jump (and subsequently bair) is delayed enough that you can't effectively do it. in midair, you are instead double jumping to cancel the shine, which allows for an immediate bair since you're already airborne.
Well u can do it from the ground but its a little more difficult and requires lower percents.

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
Well u can do it from the ground but its a little more difficult and requires lower percents.
well, yea, but he was pretty clearly talking about the instant shine bair, which you can't do from the ground cause of the jumping startup lag. Besides, doing shine -> rising bair from the ground is almost never the right thing to do.

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
well, yea, but he was pretty clearly talking about the instant shine bair, which you can't do from the ground cause of the jumping startup lag. Besides, doing shine -> rising bair from the ground is almost never the right thing to do.
It wasnt 100% thats what he meant but I kinda assumed as well. Playing an efficient falco then its not right. Flashy then its all right. but efficiently flashy, im not sure lol. Does that mean u do flashy stuff thats effective, or that you are effective with your flashy stuff lol.? I just dont know anymore :(

JPOBS

Smash Hero
i play against a very good peach and i have serious trouble edgeguarding her.

the fact that her float can stall and up B seems to eat through everything i try. Plus sometimes he recovers high and i fear dair->nair like the plague.

halp meh?

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
when she's recovering high, the key is simply to get your bair hitbox out before her dair/nair hits you. bair outspaces (beats) dair and nair from the right angle (below and in front of her). in certain situations, this is difficult, but for the most part it's pretty straight forward and easy to bair the ho.

when she's low, if you can't get the ledge before she can put an attack out to prevent you from getting the ledge, there's nothing you can do. if however you can get to the ledge, you just need to leverage your invincibility frames to hit her with whatever you want. you can do this whiles she's floating either by dropping below her and rising up with a bair in your double jump (if she's a little way away from the ledge) or by double jumping onto the stage with a bair/dair/nair (if she's right on top of you). If she's super far out and floating, take the ledge and quickly firestall to retain your invincibility frames. If she never gets close enough to hit her from the ledge, you just let her up B and then bair her on her way back or refresh your invincibility and ledgehop dair it.

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
Hey mogwai, When you hit with a double shine:

Does it seem that your opponent tends to have hardly any hitstun but just alot of momentum in the upwards direction?

Ive always noticed that but I just though Id ask and confirm.

S l o X

Smash Champion
Can you give me a rough estimate as to a matchup against Luigi? Also, what should I abuse against a Luigi main who is very defensive? I find it quite hard to get combos on him so I think I'm doing something wrong and I have no videos to direct you to...just give some suggestions. Thanks :]

(stages etc...)
Apparently the matchup thread is completely dead and is not going to be edited. :s

Alukard

Smash Hero
hey mogwai ... this isn't a falco question ...

but did it help when i cheered for ya at SNES ??? <3

Top Bottom