• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Falco Q&A

DtJ Jungle

Check out my character in #GranblueFantasy
BRoomer
I've heard that it give syou a bit (like miniscule) extra height. I can't confirm that though.

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
What I do know for sure is that while doing an aerial with any character your DI is more influential on you movement.

So like doing a backair with marth allows for much more control while in the air then just jumping and DIing

metashinryu

Smash Ace
What I do know for sure is that while doing an aerial with any character your DI is more influential on you movement.

So like doing a backair with marth allows for much more control while in the air then just jumping and DIing
like mewtwos bair after doublejump?
i also would like to know if some moves actually gives you more height after jumpinh XD

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
I want to expect better of you, but I know not to
I've heard so many different things about whether doing an aerial actually helps recovery or not. I believe Magus made a post about it and said that it doesn't help except for like Mewtwo's boost thing and Kirby doing fairs, but I'm too lazy to go find it. I do a bair while recovering sometimes and I don't think it actually helps honestly.

Mewtwo doing an aerial at the peak of his double jump is unique to Mewtwo and it works with any aerial, not just bair.

Ryan-K

Smash Master
laser him from a distance where you cant get ps->grabbed

keep in control of center stage at all times

watch for counter, don't get grabbed, utilt combos **** him, nair combos **** him, grab him alot if you get the chance, force him to jump, uthrow-> uair, stuff like that, and watch for wd out of shield fsmash

whats the falco vs sheik match up in a nutshell.

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
laser her from a distance where you can't get ps->grabbed

keep in control of center stage at all times

watch for needles, don't get grabbed, utilt/shine combos **** her, nair combos **** her, grab her a lot if you get the chance, force her to jump, uthrow->run away and laser (or bair if you're feeling feisty), and watch for full hop nair out of of shield.

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
me.

cause I figured out that Link's nair has 2 hitboxes, and you can short hop bair after the 2nd one hits your shield. Skler's really good, but he plays a bad character, so like, good players with bad characters are always relying on gimmicks that you just need to figure out to beat them.

oh, also lasers... pew pew pew...

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
I've heard so many different things about whether doing an aerial actually helps recovery or not. I believe Magus made a post about it and said that it doesn't help except for like Mewtwo's boost thing and Kirby doing fairs, but I'm too lazy to go find it. I do a bair while recovering sometimes and I don't think it actually helps honestly.

Mewtwo doing an aerial at the peak of his double jump is unique to Mewtwo and it works with any aerial, not just bair.
Im not referring to that. There are some moves that help such as fair with kirby or whatever. I simply mean that you have more control over your momentum while doing an aerial.

Take marth. Jump straight up and right after you jump DI just to test control. Do the same thing but back air after the jump. You will have more influence on your movement while doing an aerial
like mewtwos bair after doublejump?
i also would like to know if some moves actually gives you more height after jumpinh XD
M2 stops rising if you aerial after the double jump which makes for double jump cancels. DJC

but if you do an aerial at the peak of his 2nd jump like Mogwai said you can gain serious boost.

Edit: yea link sucks. Some ppl start relying [not saying skler does] on full hopE double nairs cuz that hitbox is still there. Its something that most good players know and link still sucks so yea. Gotta adapt to win at the highest levels

metashinryu

Smash Ace
so i will start to play falco again as my secondary,he was my first *good* char and im getting the feel for him again,i already use shine like a mofo(well not that frecuently,just everytime i land a dair or nair at low%) and my laz0rs are decent as per say,im practicing shine combos and stuff and i have some questions too:

1 im trying to implement shine now that i realized its combo potential,cuz before i started to use it every combo of mine finished with a dair jab fsmash,thing that got predictable and was avoided/punished hardly, now i can contionue it with a shine after the dair,but from the shine,how can i end it?(or what i need to do from there)

2 im trying to get dair-shine as consistently as i can practicing with a blank controller bowser 9handicapped(me 1) damage ratio 0.5 with infinite time, trying to pillar him from an edge to another of FD,also making him lightshield for getting the timing on shielding opponents,i am doing it right?

3 when i nair dair or uair(i found it more viable at low% since it has little to none side knockback,making it easier for me to shine them) and shine,i usually jump out of the shine-aerial,but sometimes i cant seem to hit(especially at mid to high%) there is something i can do to regulate falcos jumping height to make it the same as shine(like doublejumping or something,but i fear being sent flying without jump)

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
so i will start to play falco again as my secondary,he was my first *good* char and im getting the feel for him again,i already use shine like a mofo(well not that frecuently,just everytime i land a dair or nair at low%) and my laz0rs are decent as per say,im practicing shine combos and stuff and i have some questions too:

1 im trying to implement shine now that i realized its combo potential,cuz before i started to use it every combo of mine finished with a dair jab fsmash,thing that got predictable and was avoided/punished hardly, now i can contionue it with a shine after the dair,but from the shine,how can i end it?(or what i need to do from there)
uh, this is all really character and % dependent. legitimately comboing into fsmash is really hard and it's alot easier to just end combos with bair, nair, uair.

2 im trying to get dair-shine as consistently as i can practicing with a blank controller bowser 9handicapped(me 1) damage ratio 0.5 with infinite time, trying to pillar him from an edge to another of FD,also making him lightshield for getting the timing on shielding opponents,i am doing it right?
yep, that's how i practice it for the most part.

3 when i nair dair or uair(i found it more viable at low% since it has little to none side knockback,making it easier for me to shine them) and shine,i usually jump out of the shine-aerial,but sometimes i cant seem to hit(especially at mid to high%) there is something i can do to regulate falcos jumping height to make it the same as shine(like doublejumping or something,but i fear being sent flying without jump)
again really character and % dependent. double jumping is fine as long as you do it quickly to assure that they're still in hitstun. otherwise, just I dunno, regulate your fast fall timing better, think of it like hitting a stomp with Falcon and lining up the knee, only faster.

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
I end most of my combos with shinebair or shine turnaround bair

also jab nair or bair is good.

dash attack to bair nair dair

end with a spike

Binx

Smash Master
My Falco is weird, I'm a really grab based player so a lot of time I grab during combos and just toss them off the ledge and pressure and try to edgeguard, also drill fsmash is one of my early killers, they DI down trying to cc and get hit with a fsmash at 80%. I end a TON of my combos with Nair, I'm pretty sure I use it more than drills. But my Falco is not that great so... yeah.

Spife

Smash Master
This can't be new but i was wondering about it's viability.

I was playing around yester day and trying to ledgehop dair recoveries. I realized that falcos little feet have more range when you face them, and sends them down at wider angles. So I just did shine turnaround jc dair and that seemed to work a lot better. Granted computers don't sweet spot so it seems you'dh ave to go to low to get the spike off.

How situational is this? How old is this?

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
if people are trying to CC your dair, they uh... shouldn't be doing that. even if they stay grounded, it still combos flawlessly into dtilt. that being said, dair -> fsmash in certain situations is grood. Ending combos with nair is usually a bad thing, but sometimes it's necessary.

not as old as you'd think, I first saw people doing it like, maybe a year and a half ago, I dunno. practically speaking, it doesn't seem to be any better than just ledgehop dair despite the theoretical benefits you've listed.

Spife

Smash Master
not as old as you'd think, I first saw people doing it like, maybe a year and a half ago, I dunno. practically speaking, it doesn't seem to be any better than just ledgehop dair despite the theoretical benefits you've listed.
it's also sexy as hell :laugh: although I'm impressed by almost everything spacie related

that makes sense though, cause if they were trying to sweet spot you could just ledge hop low and hit them as they come up, or edge hog.

Binx

Smash Master
if people are trying to CC your dair, they uh... shouldn't be doing that. even if they stay grounded, it still combos flawlessly into dtilt. that being said, dair -> fsmash in certain situations. Ending combos with nair is usually a bad thing, but sometimes it's necessary.

Like I said I nair a lot, they aren't trying to CC a drill, they are trying to di down and tech a nair, which they are pretty decent at, I'm just saying if it happens, you have time to react to height you can fsmash or shine bair if they go high or whatever, or just bair lol.

Binx

Smash Master
I think people go for shine bair too much. There are certain situations where it's guaranteed and good, but a lot of the time a 100% chance of hitting bair > 75% chance of hitting shine bair.
I agree fully, I just list it cause it seems to be the big thing, and I don't like to see the replies, oh why just bair when you can shine bair, I'm a pretty old school player, back from when Ken was still the best, I play a pretty solid boring spacing game. (boring to watch anyways)

I'm still working on doing the technical followup's in situations where I should be, thats definitely holding me back quite a bit. I have movement and spacing down pretty well, but I make a few technical blunders that get me punished really hard vs good players.

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
My Falco is weird, I'm a really grab based player.
IC is it lol

This is why u shine bair instead. It was meant to rack up more damage and its more reliable at lower percents[compared to itself i mean].

plus the shine is a 1 frame attack. If u miss the shine u can still hit with the bair. Just sometimes u get the shine and not the bair.

Also once you start shinebairing like everyone else you will be able to **** with ppls DI using shine turn around bairs or shine dairs and they miss the tech.

The shine is like that dinner bell for that dog who started salivating when he heard it.

They expect one thing but something different happens can really get into their head.

metashinryu

Smash Ace
i got some more questions:

when im lasering i do it perfectly to the right and when i do it to the left i have this 80% fine 15% turnaround 5% fvckup(illusion) does anyone has this problem?

and when im shine bairing practicing(at high%) sometimes falco just wont jump from the shine or will turnaround fair instead,im rushing it or what?

and i get ledgehop reverse lasers pretty consistently,is this worth of practicing?

takieddine

Smash Master
if people are trying to CC your dair, they uh... shouldn't be doing that. even if they stay grounded, it still combos flawlessly into dtilt. that being said, dair -> fsmash in certain situations is grood. Ending combos with nair is usually a bad thing, but sometimes it's necessary.

Fox can CC dair and come out with his own shine. this is at very early percents though.

JPOBS

Smash Hero
i thought it was just 1 but it seems to last so long on tape.
meh, i do one shine to stall all the time but watching other people do it makes it seem really wierd

pockyD

Smash Legend
shine, wait for it to end, shine again as soon as possible (to fall as little as possible)

silly space animal players trying to make everything so fancy :)

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
yea, just hold down after the first shine and let go of b, then re-tap b ASAP.

it's not really useful for recovery, but I've seen Mango use it a lot to stay hovering off stage ready to turn and bair or just jump out and dair vs Fox's recovery.

Spife

Smash Master
is it possible for falco to shine->jc grab and get the grab?

I wouldn't think it is, it just sounds delicious.

Scidadle

Smash Champion
is it possible for falco to shine->jc grab and get the grab?

I wouldn't think it is, it just sounds delicious.
Maybe at really low percents if he doesnt tech it or you catch him before he hits the ground.

But I wouldnt think it would be possible right out of the jc shine

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
you can shine jc a grab on shields and it works. if you sit in shine for a second and a fast faller doesn't di you could JC and grab, but that's stupid for a number of reasons. but like, immediate jc grab after a shine, no, it never works.

Top Bottom