• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Data Falco Patch History

ksizl4life

Smash Hero
Hey guys, ksizzle of VitaminZK here. Some odd weeks ago, we released a video detailing Ike's changes in the new patch which can be seen here. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7TmFdK_bVE

Afterwards we covered Zelda https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zfg0F-S1Zkg and Link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivIHotdtXY0

This time I go over Falco so I hope you enjoy! if youknow theres something I missed, please let me know and I'll add some parts to a miscellaneous video I'll make at the end of the series! Thanks!

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Hey guys, ksizzle of VitaminZK here. Some odd weeks ago, we released a video detailing Ike's changes in the new patch which can be seen here. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7TmFdK_bVE

Afterwards we covered Zelda https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zfg0F-S1Zkg and Link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivIHotdtXY0

This time I go over Falco so I hope you enjoy! if youknow theres something I missed, please let me know and I'll add some parts to a miscellaneous video I'll make at the end of the series! Thanks!

Finally, a patch 1.0.8 video that doesn't say Falco's Nair has a windbox. Anyway, first off, could you tell me your methodology for testing startup frames?

Thinkaman's data dump, LordWilliam1234, A2ZOMG, and the Japanese frame data for Falco all list Fair's startup as 10. If Fair was a frame 5 move, it would be able to challenge Sheik's Fair easily and be faster than Fox's Fair by 2 frames. It would also be 1 frame faster than Brawl Fair and pretty much better in every way, but damage. In patch 1.0.7 and before, Fair had 12 frames of startup not 6. For landing lag, it should be 25 as LordWilliam1234, A2ZOMG, and whoever does the Japanese frame data tested. Before the patch, it was 32 frames of landing lag not 15. If the landing lag was 12, Falco would have a ridiculously safe Fair compared to Fox's which has 27 frames of landing lag.

By the way, Uair hits from the back first since Falco does a frontflip instead of a backflip like Captain Falcon, ZSS, Mario, etc. It should also be frame 7 instead of frame 4 while pre-patch should be frame 10 instead of frame 6. Well, if you're hitting with the front, it should be frame 11 for patch 1.0.8 and frame 14 for patch 1.0.7 and before. Also, if it was frame 4, Falco's Uair would be as fast as his Bair and as fast as patch 1.0.8 Diddy's Uair while doing 4% more than Diddy's. Coupled with his jump, it would be a ridiculous move.

Your Ike video is correct with frame startups which is weird if you were using the same testing methods... Maybe aerials are bit harder to check?

Sources for Falco's patch changes:

Thinkaman's data dump: http://smashboards.com/threads/luca...nity-patch-notes.406319/page-19#post-19454998.

LordWilliam1234's spreadsheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...q5a4irDPLvwfxuOKVGxk/edit?pli=1#gid=646434894.

sixriver's Falco spreadsheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1pc4TfF9gjj4Wn7jTFFtjgXCsgOKWHVREdoDwnB43BFU/edit?pli=1#gid=0.

Rest of the characters from sixriver's frame data compilation: http://sixriver.web.fc2.com/ssb4/Character_data.htm. Just Google the name of the character, copy their Japanese name, and use Ctrl + F if your browser doesn't support translations for whatever reason or you can't read Japanese.

Falco frame data that I compiled from Dantarion's Mastercore, the basis of it, Thinkaman's patch dumps, Lordwilliam1234's testing for patched moves and Customs, sixriver for default Special startup and end lag, Aerodrome's attribute data, and more which are listed under the Sources section: http://smashboards.com/threads/ill-take-the-sky-any-day-falco-moveset-data-updated-on-6-20.387402/.

Finally did a massive update to OP. Sorry for delay guys!
It's no problem. We're all busy after all.

Last edited:

FlynnCL

Smash Journeyman
I wish forward-air had 12 frames of landing and hit on frame 5... combine that with how landing hitboxes "soak up" landing frames on-hit Falco's forward-air would be absolutely dumb.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
I wish forward-air had 12 frames of landing and hit on frame 5... combine that with how landing hitboxes "soak up" landing frames on-hit Falco's forward-air would be absolutely dumb.
Wait, landing hits "soak up" landing frames? I know about Wario being able to extend how long Wario Waft's hitbox is out by hitting his Bike with it, but I never heard of this.

FlynnCL

Smash Journeyman
Wait, landing hits "soak up" landing frames? I know about Wario being able to extend how long Wario Waft's hitbox is out by hitting his Bike with it, but I never heard of this.
As far as I can tell, pretty much every aerial that has a landing hitbox has reduced landing lag on-hit. The amount of freeze frames of the landing hitbox seem to play a huge part in this (and it's also why most landing hitboxes have 2.0+ hitlag). With some huge precision, you can force this manually with attacks that don't even have landing hitboxes by touching the ground on the same frame you hit an opponent, people called this Frame Cancelling.

Fox's down-air has 25 frames of landing, but because of its 2.0 hitlag landing hitbox he's able to act out much earlier on-hit and even get up-smashes. Since 1.0.8 Falco's forward-air and Game & Watch's back-air have a very small amount of landing on-hit too.

Last edited:
NNID
CRQ-L-07
3DS FC
4854-6608-1552
I've got one 3DS downloading and one on the old version. I plan to test on Dream Land in practice mode. Anyone got better methods? I also got a Wii U updated.

BltzZ

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BltzZ7
Damn. I'm traveling to Canada then new york for the next 2 weeks at the moment and I can't even check anything :( I hope the bird got some game changers

Superbat

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Superbat3
back air has electricity when it hits now. Sweet spot. Up air has a different animation now.

Last edited:
NNID
CRQ-L-07
3DS FC
4854-6608-1552
back air has electricity when it hits now. Sweet spot. Up air has a different animation now.
Define electricity.

His uair animation looks the same to me too.

A lot of his moves seem unchanged, knockback-wise and damage-wise. I'm testing in training mode with two 3DS systems, one on the previous patch and one on the new one.

His side-B still has that annoying thing where it loses it's hitbox 70% of the way through, you all know what I'm talking about.

Last edited:

Superbat

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Superbat3
maybe I'm wrong about up air but back definitely got its animation changed. do 1/4 speed and then back air. Blue and red sparks appear. (not talking about the sparks that happen when you KO someone

NNID
CRQ-L-07
3DS FC
4854-6608-1552
maybe I'm wrong about up air but back definitely got its animation changed. do 1/4 speed and then back air. Blue and red sparks appear. (not talking about the sparks that happen when you KO someone
Tested again in 1/4 speed, the effects seem identical to me. I'll keep checking though.

NNID
CRQ-L-07
3DS FC
4854-6608-1552
Maybe it's a

Maybe it's a wii u change?
Unfortunately I can't check that for sure, but graphical effect changes are very insignificant anyway and don't affect the move itself, which seems unchanged otherwise.

In fact as far as I can tell Falco is unchanged, but I heard rumors of his fair landing lag being reduced. Anyone wanna help me verify that?

Superbat

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Superbat3
Pretty sure falco is the same. :[ poor fox mains. No more jab locks anymore.

Last edited:

BltzZ

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BltzZ7
Unfortunately I can't check that for sure, but graphical effect changes are very insignificant anyway and don't affect the move itself, which seems unchanged otherwise.

In fact as far as I can tell Falco is unchanged, but I heard rumors of his fair landing lag being reduced. Anyone wanna help me verify that?
Could you try putting the game speed on 1/4 initiate fair and tap the r trigger to go by frame and see if it's any different? I really wish I was home to help.

Gamegenie222

Space Pheasant Dragon Tactician
NNID
Gamegenie222
3DS FC
3411-1825-3363
Oh it's better than nerfs. I can still pray for end lag on lasers and full hitbox on side b though.

Solaris_Noid

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Koga_Noid
3DS FC
0619-3734-0827
Switch FC
1232-9460-2152
Did Falco get a dash speed buff or is it just my eyes messing with me?

NNID
CRQ-L-07
3DS FC
4854-6608-1552
Like I said you guys, Falco is unchanged. Dantarion, a data-miner, found his character files unaltered in the latest patch. The dream is no more, and we go back to praying for faster lasers next patch.

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805
Damn, was really hoping he got something. Well at least he didn't get some unnecessary nerf.

Chibi-Chan

Smash Journeyman
The Dantarion thing is just attack hitbox/damage/KB details. Animation changes, autocancels and other subtle things are not noticeable there.

BlueBirdE

Smash Journeyman
Does that include frame changes? I thought that can only be found with other methods

Snackss

Smash Journeyman
It's all my fault, I asked for Greninja buffs and didn't have any ideas for Falco.

NNID
CRQ-L-07
3DS FC
4854-6608-1552
The Dantarion thing is just attack hitbox/damage/KB details. Animation changes, autocancels and other subtle things are not noticeable there.
So we should be on the lookout for potential autocancels? Other than that and minor animation changes though, what else is there?

RevolverTurtle

Smash Rookie
Hey everyone,
so is Falco completely untouched? I read (I think in the Zelda patch log) that changes regarding endlag aren't listed in the dump, so maybe the fair endlag buff is real?
Really wished they'd buffed the phantasm hitbox :/.. Better luck next time Falco..

BltzZ

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BltzZ7
Hey everyone,
so is Falco completely untouched? I read (I think in the Zelda patch log) that changes regarding endlag aren't listed in the dump, so maybe the fair endlag buff is real?
Really wished they'd buffed the phantasm hitbox :/.. Better luck next time Falco..
I'd really love to check this stuff out but I'm traveling for the next two weeks. I'm reading foxes laser endlag was reduced.....I was really hoping falco would get some of that.

WondrousMoose

Mind the antlers
NNID
WondrousMoose
3DS FC
3024-5909-8345
I'd really love to check this stuff out but I'm traveling for the next two weeks. I'm reading foxes laser endlag was reduced.....I was really hoping falco would get some of that.
Yeah, it's looking like Fox got a buff that Falco sorely needed. I'm just sitting here waiting for those buffs that I'm sure are on the way in the next couple updates.

...right?

BltzZ

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BltzZ7
Yeah, it's looking like Fox got a buff that Falco sorely needed. I'm just sitting here waiting for those buffs that I'm sure are on the way in the next couple updates.

...right?
Is it possible falco could've gotten some endlag reductions? I'm noticing theyre updating certain characters changes later in a few days i guess we'll know.

RevolverTurtle

Smash Rookie

...right?
Honestly right now all I wish for is for them to give phantasm a hitbox through the whole animation. And maybe make his grab a wee bit faster. It would be nice if they buffed lasers a bit, sure, but as long as they don't buff it to the BS level of Melee and Brawl. For me it feels more satisfying to win if my character doesn't possess some braindead stuff like Mario u-tilt crap. Kinda why I play Falco since he's a really balanced character, at least this point.

Top Bottom