• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Falco Matchup Thread

1PokeMastr

Smash Champion
To avoid the death grab from Marth.. just jab him and have him get out of it with Up B/ Fair/ Uair, they do it on reaction anyway.
It's what I always do in the Mu since it's a safe way to take damage without hurting yourself too much.

Blondie.

Smash Journeyman
We should probably save all this discussion for when the marth thread comes up, but I'm pretty sure that if you do get caught in the death grab, on a stage like smashville or battlefield where it has angled edges, you can survive if you make falco face away from the stage when he's using fire bird, and shoot straight up.

-DR3W-

Smash Champion
NNID
DrewTheAsher
Gonna start really working on this lol.

I have been lazy.

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
Go for it. I'll make sure no one bites your head off. We could use the info. Just make sure it's a MU thread from this run through and not one we haven't made it to yet seeing as we're going bottom to top.

MARLX

Smash Journeyman
Im just curious to what you guys think the match up ratio is
The zss mu?
I think this Mu is 70:30 Falco's favor. ZSS takes extra hit stun from Falco's lasers and ZSS is out prioritized by basically every move Falco has besides his fair. Also ZSS is slightly out ranged by Falco's moves. The only thing ZSS has on Falco is a small dsmash lock and a fair or a bair. The only move she has that can out beat Falco is her uair.

Its sort of difficult to judge "priority", so I would disagree with using that as an argument. Speed of a move plays a factor along with disjoint and positioning. Straight-up priority when two moves are used at the same time rarely is taken into consideration. Usually a faster move with more range hits the other person before they can execute a slower move.

And ZSS would like to hit falco from angles and at times in which he cannot make an effective response. Say Falco misspaced an attack because ZSS spot dodged it or dashed out of the way in time, then during Falco's lag she uses her own attacks. Typically that is how exchanges usually work.

For ZSS, its should be difficult for her to fight Falco at approaching. She does lack moves for approaching. However, she can certainly keep Falco in a bad position once he loses traction with the ground. In that regard, the match-up I feel is better for ZSS than 70-30 Falco. I wouldn't call it even, but ZSS should have a hard time getting a hit on Falco. Once she does, its her game when falco is up in the air or offstage.

-DR3W-

Smash Champion
NNID
DrewTheAsher
Falco as a character has a very clear advantage over Zero Suit. Not to the extreme of 7-3 but probably along the lines of 6.5-3.5

Kuro~

Nitoryu Kuro
Idk. I feel like it could be closer. Especially as the zss metagame advances.

Falco vs pit's jab is 0:100 in pit's jab favor.

infiniteV115

Smash Hero
ZSS gets outranged by Falco? What?
Bair > Falco.
Nair > Falco.
Uair > Falco.
Fair > Falco.
Dtilt, sideb, nB, upB, usmash, dsmash, grab > Falco. Utilt is pretty damn big too.
Only reason Falco wins up close is because ZSS' jab sucks, and Falco outspeeds everything else. It has nothing to do with range.

Lol, DEFINITELY not 70:30. I believed for a while that Falco was our worst MU but I very strongly believe that that isn't the case right now. I'd say it's the easiest of our losing MUs and I would put it at 55:45. Could eventually become even.

1PokeMastr

Smash Champion
I have to agree with V on the Mu, it's either 55:45 Falco's Favour or even.

-DR3W-

Smash Champion
NNID
DrewTheAsher
I can see how people think it's a 70:30 matchup, though.

MARLX

Smash Journeyman
People biting on that MARLX troll.
First of all Ryker I am not trolling.
Two nick riddle agrees to this ratio.
Third what I said is basically all Falco has and does against zss.
Fourth of all, stop ****ing assuming ****, it makes you look like and idiot if you are wrong.

SN Viper

Formerly 9th in FL PR
First of all Ryker I am not trolling.
Two nick riddle agrees to this ratio.
Third what I said is basically all Falco has and does against zss.
Fourth of all, stop ****ing assuming ****, it makes you look like and idiot if you are wrong.
Dude you are bad. Stop posting nonsense.

In general, which match-ups do you all feel Falco does not have to really rely heavily on camping? Obviously, any match-up depends upon its operators. You can get away with a ton of stuff through baits or well-spaced or timed attacks. But, camping makes it easier at times.

Against MK and Marth, I cannot really see much way around these match-ups. They have tools to work against anything Falco has really. Falco does a jab, Marth can UpB out of it everytime and hit falco away. And Falco is too slow to rush in and get underneath Marth or MK's Fair.

DDD once hit they cannot retaliate very well when hit. He's really slow in the air except falling downwards. If you powershield waddles and avoid that Ftilt, I think you can easily face DDD without lasers.

Ganon you should just be able to poke and prod and he can't do anything about it really.

Olimar seems like a different sort of camping. Trying to camp with lasers and reflector backfires at times if Olimar manages to get too close or gets a purple pikmin out. Yet, by simply staying out of his range or camping platforms holes in his defence seems to appear. By timing an IAP you can punish him for pulling pikmin or throwing pikmin around by getting close to him quickly when he is in the air throwing pikmin around. Similar thing to when your on platforms to get him to follow you.

Kuro~

Nitoryu Kuro
I think falco could fight pit without relying on camping.

edit: actually it depends what u mean by no camping. if u can still use laser to zone/ gain space then ya.

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805
For some who are unaware, Falco can reflect Pikachu's Down B. Not lying, I actually tried this out.

1PokeMastr

Smash Champion
For some who are unaware, Falco can reflect Pikachu's Down B. Not lying, I actually tried this out.
We can also reflect every other projectile in the game.. like.. Snake's Mortar and Sonic's bouncing Spring.

As for Falco vs Marth. Only use Lasers to zone, they really shouldn't phase Marth at all.
We have to keep pressure on him, and stay slightly out of his grab range, Like what Gluttony does.
And.. Jab x2 is safe on hit, you can PS the Dolphin Slash/ Mario's Up B ( Hits on frame 3 ).
Sp, we need to do Jab x2 far more and stop relying on only Jab 1. We're giving up free damage.

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
As for Falco vs Marth. Only use Lasers to zone, they really shouldn't phase Marth at all.
We have to keep pressure on him, and stay slightly out of his grab range, Like what Gluttony does.
And.. Jab x2 is safe on hit, you can PS the Dolphin Slash/ Mario's Up B ( Hits on frame 3 ).
Sp, we need to do Jab x2 far more and stop relying on only Jab 1. We're giving up free damage.
At all percents, stale moves, and ranges?

1PokeMastr

Smash Champion
At all percents, stale moves, and ranges?

That is correct.

I practice this with a Turbo Controller.
It's how I practice the CG on Marth.

An Up B input on almost every frame.. is pretty accurate.

Safe on hit.

Completely unsafe on Shield.
COMPLETELY.
Jab x2 Ps'd into a Purple Oli Usmash.

Hacks!

Oh and, Jab Oos. *Chibi Face*

-DR3W-

Smash Champion
NNID
DrewTheAsher
Somehow I haven't made a new thread in weeks and you all are still discussing etc. Nice.

I'll get to that later though.

:phone:

I take back everything I mentioned. Poke's right. Falco had like a two frame advantage from jab2 cancel against Marth.

Blondie.

Smash Journeyman
We can also reflect every other projectile in the game.. like.. Snake's Mortar and Sonic's bouncing Spring.

Reason why I do jab 1 instead of jab x2 is because since it's faster, you're more likely to catch the opponent off guard and get a follow up like a grab or ftilt. You just need to mix it up between using jab x1 and jab x2.

Top Bottom