• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Falco Matchup Thread

-DR3W-

Smash Champion
NNID
DrewTheAsher
Second thought.

I'll just do summaries when we're done. Cuz people are still contributing to old ones.

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
Second thought.

I'll just do summaries when we're done. Cuz people are still contributing to old ones.
Not the good strategy.

I'd advise that if you have time right now you should do as much summaries as possible.

Even if they're incomplete they'll give the discussions a precise direction and people something to agree/disagree with.

Then again I'm not forcing you or telling you what to do, but from experience I can tell you that letting an amount of work grow and assuming you'll have the time and motivation to deal with it in the future has rarely worked as a strategy.

PS : if you don't believe me you can go see any board's matchup thread.

Gamegenie222

Space Pheasant Dragon Tactician
NNID
Gamegenie222
3DS FC
3411-1825-3363
I would totally go ape **** super saiyan for these matchup threads right now but I can't cause my computer just quit on me and I'm forced to use the internet on my Wii LoL. Once I deal with this problem by fixing my laptop or buying a new one I will get the other boards in helping with MU's and I will as well.

SpeedyJ

Smash Journeyman
Hey guys, the Game & Watch boards are trying to discuss the Falco match-up so we would really appreciate it if anyone experienced with the match-up could enlighten us.

Click here!

Thanks! :)

MARLX

Smash Journeyman
ok how do i beat a mk with falco
To beat MK you have to camp because lasers go through all of his moves. Also you have to dair MK after cg not gatling combo. Do unpredictable phantasms after some moves like laser, or sometimes throw. Avoid MK's grabs falco has to grab, better for easier reasons because falco is doomed when he gets grabed by MK. Also coming up from the ledge mix it up. Don't only use phantasm do lasers comeing up from the ledge. Use cancelation of side B makes the MK's crazy. Avoid rolling alot against MK use more spot doge. When MK gets to you from camping F=tilt and do everything again. Thats how you beat MK.

darksonicbase

Smash Cadet
ty

To beat MK you have to camp because lasers go through all of his moves. Also you have to dair MK after cg not gatling combo. Do unpredictable phantasms after some moves like laser, or sometimes throw. Avoid MK's grabs falco has to grab, better for easier reasons because falco is doomed when he gets grabed by MK. Also coming up from the ledge mix it up. Don't only use phantasm do lasers comeing up from the ledge. Use cancelation of side B makes the MK's crazy. Avoid rolling alot against MK use more spot doge. When MK gets to you from camping F=tilt and do everything again. Thats how you beat MK.
ok ty man 1 more thing how can u beat a ness

MARLX

Smash Journeyman
ok ty man 1 more thing how can u beat a ness
Easy. All falco has to do is camp in the begining of the match to get some damage off. Up close gameplay against ness. f-tilt, full jab, and just throw off jabs ness can't do anything. Ness can only b-air so as long as you are in front of ness you win. And if wanted cg to spike off the ledge and there is a free kill.(ness can't recover). Very good match up for falco and should be easy play against. Thats how you beat Ness.

-DR3W-

Smash Champion
NNID
DrewTheAsher
I'll be working on this more diligently. Sorry I've been slackinnn.

-DR3W-

Smash Champion
NNID
DrewTheAsher
Ryker you can get rid of that sig now lolol

We will still discuss Meta Knight because more than America is in the Brawl scene so we can't stop just cause one character got banned.

And guys, everyone's gonna whip out those pocket Ice Climbers now. Don't get too happy, cause they're harder to beat than Meta Knight (as Falco).

SN Viper

Formerly 9th in FL PR
Ryker you can get rid of that sig now lolol

We will still discuss Meta Knight because more than America is in the Brawl scene so we can't stop just cause one character got banned.

And guys, everyone's gonna whip out those pocket Ice Climbers now. Don't get too happy, cause they're harder to beat than Meta Knight (as Falco).
Drew now that MK got banned are you going to stay Falco full time or split with another char. I think i remember you talking about pocket ic?

-DR3W-

Smash Champion
NNID
DrewTheAsher
I'm gonna use another character unless I need Falco.

Yall aint ready for this.

-DR3W-

Smash Champion
NNID
DrewTheAsher
Yesssssssssssir.

& that is classified information, my friend.

1PokeMastr

Smash Champion
Drew, any way to put the Ratio's in one of the OP's ?

And have it formatted Like..

*Character Name* - *Thread Link* - *Mu Ratio*.

*Character Name* - *Thread Link* - *Mu Ratio*.

The double spacing is easier on Eyes, and makes it look as if we're better at not rushing.

-DR3W-

Smash Champion
NNID
DrewTheAsher
Don't worry 1PokeMaster I got you covered :p just not til we're done.

That system will change drastically.

Zwei Striker

Smash Apprentice
I play this matchup a lot, so I feel I can help you.

At 0% stay at the center of the stage, control it. You don't want to be Fthrown twice then Spiked to death.
To chain grab him can be hard, since he must be at 0% for it to work, and you must have it figured out really well. I personally just grab him, run>shield to bait something out. Sometimes I just run and grab, since Marth can be expecting the run>shield thingy. I never try to keep up the chain grab after the second grab, I just gatlin-combo.
Spacing is crucial. Ftilt is SO important in this matchup, because of it's amazing range helping to keep Marth at bay. Reflector can help too, but I personally just throw it out of a short hop when marth is in the air.
Lasers are important, as always, but marth can up-b you out of lasers unless it's a silent one. This is important at high %, because his up-b kills.
Learn how to deal with dancing blade. It's his best punisher, it's quick and it can rack damage and refresh his moveset if he connects two full dancing blades in a row.
Recovering can be a real pain, since he has amazing edge and ledge guarding, and most of his attacks can take us out of phantasm. About that, he can single-tipped-jab our phantasm> Tipped Fsmash. This means you should IAP carefully, but you should still do it.
Killing marth can be hard. Be really patient. Rack damage, then use utilt or bair to take the stock. Usmash takes him down at like 130% fresh, but it can be hard to land.
Even if he doesn't 0%>death you, he can still chaingrab you. I've heard people say that he can chaingrab us to 50%, but the marth player I play with often ends it with a tipped fsmash, dealing 37%.
He's good juggling, try to avoid having marth underneath you.
Can't recall much more right now. Hope this helps.

-Cross-

Smash Ace
Do not get grabbed between 0-4% near the edge. If you do, instant stock loss. Beyond those percents, Marth can still d-throw>tipper f-smash, but that's not nearly as bad as instantly losing a stock.

Dunno any solid strats in this MU, because I was never really good against Falco as a Marth main, and I haven't played it enough with Falco. However, the one thing that really frustrated me when playing against Falco is getting hit while I was running. Marth has a very long shield dash, which means once he starts his initial dash, he can't bring up his shield until he starts running, which takes a while. Needless to say, Falco should take advantage of this. This makes troll tactics like continually IAP'ing back and forth or following SHL or SHDL with one or two grounded lasers very effective against impatient Marth's that only run
(aka me 2 years ago-present time)
. Using reflector is also very good at disrupting their dash (look at DEHF vs Mikehaze for this particular usage of reflector), but it's much more risky and you can't just throw it out there arbitrarily.

Jab isn't as safe as it usually is in this MU, because if he shields it, then he can land a guaranteed upB. Even when it lands, going for jab cancels>grab always has the danger of being upB'd. It's not as bad as it sounds, because it becomes significantly riskier for the Marth to attempt an upB after he's been hit by a move, so play smart. See what his reactions are the first couple of times, and if he's risky with his upB's, then bait them; if he's not a risk taker, then start using those grabs more liberally.

Spamming spot dodge can also prove effective if the Marth can't properly grab you out of it. DB can "beat" spotdodge, but it's still almost as difficult as trying to grab a Falco out of it, and the risks of missing are much greater. So there you go, another troll tactic to cover up your *** if Marth gets in.

There's a lot more detail that goes into this MU, but the basic objective is, just don't get grabbed at 0-4% and after that just learn the quirks that come with camping and boxing him.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
You should learn to SDI the spike to ledgetech if die a lot to the chaingrab. It's not easy to do though.

darksonicbase

Smash Cadet
Do not get grabbed between 0-4% near the edge. If you do, instant stock loss. Beyond those percents, Marth can still d-throw>tipper f-smash, but that's not nearly as bad as instantly losing a stock.

Dunno any solid strats in this MU, because I was never really good against Falco as a Marth main, and I haven't played it enough with Falco. However, the one thing that really frustrated me when playing against Falco is getting hit while I was running. Marth has a very long shield dash, which means once he starts his initial dash, he can't bring up his shield until he starts running, which takes a while. Needless to say, Falco should take advantage of this. This makes troll tactics like continually IAP'ing back and forth or following SHL or SHDL with one or two grounded lasers very effective against impatient Marth's that only run
(aka me 2 years ago-present time)
. Using reflector is also very good at disrupting their dash (look at DEHF vs Mikehaze for this particular usage of reflector), but it's much more risky and you can't just throw it out there arbitrarily.

Jab isn't as safe as it usually is in this MU, because if he shields it, then he can land a guaranteed upB. Even when it lands, going for jab cancels>grab always has the danger of being upB'd. It's not as bad as it sounds, because it becomes significantly riskier for the Marth to attempt an upB after he's been hit by a move, so play smart. See what his reactions are the first couple of times, and if he's risky with his upB's, then bait them; if he's not a risk taker, then start using those grabs more liberally.

Spamming spot dodge can also prove effective if the Marth can't properly grab you out of it. DB can "beat" spotdodge, but it's still almost as difficult as trying to grab a Falco out of it, and the risks of missing are much greater. So there you go, another troll tactic to cover up your *** if Marth gets in.

There's a lot more detail that goes into this MU, but the basic objective is, just don't get grabbed at 0-4% and after that just learn the quirks that come with camping and boxing him.
only thing i hate about marth i play nike a **** load last night and my grab was soo damn off but thing is if u can decous u should do it alaways if u thinks its right then u can kill a marth with no prob but the thing is if u miss the decous 1 time its the game for u soo dont miss and u well win........ and only use decous if u need to

Top Bottom