• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

EXTENNNDUURRRRRR (samus gen. disc.)

What are your favorite moves?

• Total voters

DarrellD

Smash Ace
Its so violent and graphic lol

I think your best bet is to just DI up. Down and away is way to easy to react to so at least ill get hit by one upair and no follow up if i go high enough. Ill test some stuff out and put up some results form the tournament.

Violence, you didnt get faceraped. You simply lost to friendlies to a good falcon player. YOU WERE NEVER *****

Ørn

Smash Journeyman
Sooo

I placed 25th at BEAST2, losing both my bracket matches (against Faab and Smasher89, the latter was 2-1), but whatever. I'm pretty happy I made it so far, getting to bracket was my goal. Got 2nd seed in 1st round pools, and 4th seed in 2nd round pools (pools of 8 people, top 4 got to the next round). I was extremely nervous when I played my last round 2 pool match, as it was against a very good Luigi player, and like I said a few posts back, Luigi scares me a lot. I pulled through though, so once again thanks for the Luigi tips.

I'm feeling a bit ambivalent about using Samus at this point. I thought I played extremely well, and I'm sure there's room to improve, but I'm really starting to see the limitations of the character. It's nothing that I can't overcome with getting better, but it is a bit frustrating at times, to be sure. Being extremely on-point constantly drains your energy pretty fast.

It's not really a match-up thing, either. I did fairly good against every Sheik and Marth out there (esp. Marth), and I even played extremely well against Puff. My worst match-up was probably CF, and I had like 4 CFs in my 1st round pool, haha.

For now, I'll experiment with maining a different character (Marth) at local tournaments, who I've also gotten really good with, but I'll have Samus as a character to fall back on.

I've also come to the conclusion that Falco is the most boring character in the game to play against, and to watch. It's always the same dumb combos people get impressed by, and he is just extremely gay with him having an advantage no matter what position he's in (exept off-stage, obviously). His laser also always forces the match-up to be played in a defensive way. While it's definitely not my worst match-up, it's by far the most boring one (especially when I get platform camped: never counterpick DL64 against Falco, ever. I'm fairly sure my bracket match vs. Faab got recorded, lol, so you might get to see this happening. I don't blame him, I blame Falco as a character)

It makes me wonder why people ***** about Samus being a boring character, considering all the work every Samus main has to put into dealing with all these crazy matchups, and considering how many tricks the character has. I definitely think some of the floaty characters are the most interesting to watch.

Hope you don't mind my blog-like post. I felt like sharing some thoughts.

Pi

Smash Hero
^omg
yes. exactly. all of it.

samus player spacing and baiting perfectly, edge guards and gimps on point, BORRINGGG

falco player, dair shine, dair shine, dair shine OMGGGG HYPEEE

like, seriously?

THE RED SPARROW

Smash Lord
At this stage in the game I'm more impressed by smart play than just combos. I mean I was always impressed by smart play but now it's more apparent that tech skill is something easier practiced and mindgames are harder learned.

Dobs1007

Smash Ace
Inspired by IHSB I've been memorizing jump heights and distances for edge canceled stuff. If i wasn't so lazy I'd post about it maybe I'll record some stuff.

I love Samus movement platforms are her friend

Hello Samus mains

Dobs out

ThePrime

Smash Lord
fun watch :)
Def agree with you when you were talking about when people know the matchup vs people who dont know as much. You said something like "why change it up if it works" which is pretty much how metagame develops in any game.

THE RED SPARROW

Smash Lord
Duck, I saw your recent tournament vids and I'm hella impressed. Your spacing and mindgames are on point.

And man do you love those Up Tilts...

Pi

Smash Hero
The HugS - DJ no impact land from the edge
The spaceballs - waveland off a platform & bair your opponent
the darrell - bomb waveland
the DJN - catching someone's DJ with a FCS?
the phanna - SWD shenanigans

:awesome:

Slhoka

Smash Lord
Sup Samuses !

Would any of you have some advices when teaming with a Sheik ?
I'm gonna team with Cyr at a tournament this weekend, and while he usually plays Falcon when we team, we'd want to try his singles main.

The problem is that usually, we use a strategy in which he's the offensive player, and I'm the backup. However, I'm not sure it'd be that great with Samus, even though he has an offensive style even with her.

So what would be you advice ? If any of you has experience in teams with a Sheik, I'd be happy to hear about it !

Thanks

And btw thanks again to Darrel, Spaceballs, Hugo and this-other-guy-whose-tag-I-always-forget : the letter was much appreciated :D

Pluplue

Smash Ace
I've teamed with a sheik once in tournament so idk if thats a huge help, but what we did was ban final destination and camp the hell out of each game with needles, missiles and samus down smash punishes. I'm really used to that style in teams though so you should test it before the tourney, incase it turns out horribly for you.

Ørn

Smash Journeyman
Shloka, I regularly team with a Sheik, so I'm just gonna link you to the most recent footage we have. Hopefully you can get some good ideas from it, at least.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AY3sxSDovZ4 (also 2 and 3)

There should be more team matches on that channel, if you feel like searching, though some of them are 5-10 months old, and well, we've improved a lot since then.

I know for a fact that we had a recent tourney where we recorded a bunch of team matches too, but they never got uploaded due to laziness and whatnot. I still have them on my external harddrive, so I could upload them for you if you're interested.

As for general advice...

Samus has a lot of good moves that are slow, and it's easy to hit people out of Sheiks bthrow/dthrow. Samus' UpB often sets up for easy platform punishes for Sheik, so that's actually a fairly superb move.

Likewise, Samus' throws are also pretty good setups for Sheik. Samus' dthrow can probably lead to Sheiks usmash, and upthrow is like a guaranteed aerial from at least one of you.

I think Samus can be really good in teams, but you need to make sure you're not spending half your stock recovering, or you're just a liability since the other player will just be ganged up upon. Sheik can probably UpB stall for a while to help in that regard.

Samus' dsmash is even better in teams. It sends people off stage where Sheik wants them. Dtilt is also really good due to how long the opponent is in hitstun.

I'm actually not a big advocate of missiles in teams. You WILL hit your team mate if you're not careful. I usually only fire them in the opposite direction of my teammate. That being said, I don't think we've ever really camped as much as we could, but since you said he's fairly aggressive, I don't think that'd really work out for you. I suppose regular missiles are better in most cases so as to simply distrupt the opponent.

Also, this team is REALLY good at techchasing. Knock people down and start covering options, you both have excellent punishes.

That's all I can really think of right now. Obviously Samus isn't really top tier material in teams, but I do think she's a bit underrated.

Pi

Smash Hero
i may have
something exciting
to display
i hope at least

samus has the fastest shield break in the game for sure
we shall see

Slhoka

Smash Lord
I've teamed with a sheik once in tournament so idk if thats a huge help, but what we did was ban final destination and camp the hell out of each game with needles, missiles and samus down smash punishes. I'm really used to that style in teams though so you should test it before the tourney, incase it turns out horribly for you.
It's not our style indeed, but it may work. We'll try, even though for some reason, we always suck in friendlies and lose to everyone, and somehow wake up for tournament games... that's not so good to try new strategies :p

Shloka, I regularly team with a Sheik, so I'm just gonna link you to the most recent footage we have. Hopefully you can get some good ideas from it, at least.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AY3sxSDovZ4 (also 2 and 3)

There should be more team matches on that channel, if you feel like searching, though some of them are 5-10 months old, and well, we've improved a lot since then.

I know for a fact that we had a recent tourney where we recorded a bunch of team matches too, but they never got uploaded due to laziness and whatnot. I still have them on my external harddrive, so I could upload them for you if you're interested.

As for general advice...

Samus has a lot of good moves that are slow, and it's easy to hit people out of Sheiks bthrow/dthrow. Samus' UpB often sets up for easy platform punishes for Sheik, so that's actually a fairly superb move.

Likewise, Samus' throws are also pretty good setups for Sheik. Samus' dthrow can probably lead to Sheiks usmash, and upthrow is like a guaranteed aerial from at least one of you.

I think Samus can be really good in teams, but you need to make sure you're not spending half your stock recovering, or you're just a liability since the other player will just be ganged up upon. Sheik can probably UpB stall for a while to help in that regard.

Samus' dsmash is even better in teams. It sends people off stage where Sheik wants them. Dtilt is also really good due to how long the opponent is in hitstun.

I'm actually not a big advocate of missiles in teams. You WILL hit your team mate if you're not careful. I usually only fire them in the opposite direction of my teammate. That being said, I don't think we've ever really camped as much as we could, but since you said he's fairly aggressive, I don't think that'd really work out for you. I suppose regular missiles are better in most cases so as to simply distrupt the opponent.

Also, this team is REALLY good at techchasing. Knock people down and start covering options, you both have excellent punishes.

That's all I can really think of right now. Obviously Samus isn't really top tier material in teams, but I do think she's a bit underrated.
Really interesting post, thanks a lot. Especially for the up B use, I never thought about that, but I think it can be really useful.

The videos are quite interesting as well. If it doesn't bother you at all to upload the videos before saturday morning, it would be cool. But if it is even only a bit of a hassle to do it... forget about it, it's ok.

I also think that Sheik can be a really great teammate for Sheik... but it's definitely hard to prove !

Slhoka

Smash Lord
Alright, so... the Samus/Sheik strategy didn't work that well :(

We got 4th, but there were only 3 really good teams... so that's kinda disappointing.
We had a close 3-2 set vs porc (Fox) + Salepâte (Marth), who ended up winning the tournament. But after that, in losers, we got 3-0'd by Tekk (Puff) + Willy (Sheik). We should have won the last game because Cyr switched to CF for this one, but I azendashed at 0% on my last stock, while we were almost garanteed a 2 vs 1 situation :(

Samus Sheik can be a good team, but against a Jigglypuff, it's really really hard, especially in PAL : Samus needs time and space to kill Puff, and Sheik needs time too as she doesn't have her Uair or grab to garanteed kill move.

Also, the tournament was sad for Samuses as Cyr made his way through the winner bracket without losing a game, even to good players like Salepâte, Tekk or porc. And then Tekk came back from the losers and won 3-2 then 3-1. Stupid Jiggs players and their comeback :(

MonkUnit

Project M Back Roomer
Can I get some tips for the Falcon matchup? I can't seem to try and beat his speed. I also have very little experience in this matchup. Any help would be appreciated. :)

Pi

Smash Hero
Alright, so... the Samus/Sheik strategy didn't work that well :(

We got 4th, but there were only 3 really good teams... so that's kinda disappointing.
We had a close 3-2 set vs porc (Fox) + Salepâte (Marth), who ended up winning the tournament. But after that, in losers, we got 3-0'd by Tekk (Puff) + Willy (Sheik). We should have won the last game because Cyr switched to CF for this one, but I azendashed at 0% on my last stock, while we were almost garanteed a 2 vs 1 situation :(

Samus Sheik can be a good team, but against a Jigglypuff, it's really really hard, especially in PAL : Samus needs time and space to kill Puff, and Sheik needs time too as she doesn't have her Uair or grab to garanteed kill move.

Also, the tournament was sad for Samuses as Cyr made his way through the winner bracket without losing a game, even to good players like Salepâte, Tekk or porc. And then Tekk came back from the losers and won 3-2 then 3-1. Stupid Jiggs players and their comeback :(
must have been the most depressing GF to play as.

BairJew

Smash Journeyman
Samus against Marth. It seems like it is heavily in Marth's favor even tho samus has advantages with MC and able to camp around on large stages, especially DL64. However, marth heavily wins the apprchng game and is able to SP samus quite easily this is from some slight experience playing a samus player so idk if im missing a few things but what are samus's options within this situation?

Geist

Smash Master
MC is an advantage against marth?
I'm not sure about that.

Marth vs samus is pretty much rock paper scissors repectively bewteen your grab and dash attack and his shield and poorly timed aerials.

Ørn

Smash Journeyman
Aww Shloka, I'm sorry it didn't work out too well, and sorry for not getting those videos up, I didn't really have time to edit them and stuff. I hope you at least had fun with Sheik/Samus, it's a pretty fun team.

Too bad for Cyr, though Tekk is really good and Samus-Jigglypuff is a hard matchup for Samus, so it's understandable how he could lose. I just barely won my moneymatch against Tekk at BEASTII. (I guess now would be an ideal time to employ some Inui logic, haha)

Regarding the Marth matchup...

What Geist said is very true, conditioning Marth with dash attack/grab is basically the matchup in a nutshell. Marth's moves are fairly laggy, so you'll want to bait him all the time. Samus is also pretty good at punishing Marth's moves. I fought some pretty good Marths at BEASTII, it's a shame the sets weren't recorded, I feel like I really know that matchup very well.

Slhoka

Smash Lord
must have been the most depressing GF to play as.
Yeah, Cyr isn't the kind of guy to let himself down, and yet, I've never seen him looking so depressed. He was mentally destroyed.
As for myself, the only time Smash made me sadder was after the Genesis 1 finals... with the same scenario =/

Aww Shloka, I'm sorry it didn't work out too well, and sorry for not getting those videos up, I didn't really have time to edit them and stuff. I hope you at least had fun with Sheik/Samus, it's a pretty fun team.

Too bad for Cyr, though Tekk is really good and Samus-Jigglypuff is a hard matchup for Samus, so it's understandable how he could lose. I just barely my moneymatch against Tekk at BEASTII. (I guess now would be an ideal time to employ some Inui logic, haha)
Actually, if I look at it now... I think we didn't do that bad. I mean, it was a really small bracket, so we had a bye, then we won a fairly easy game, then we lost 3-2 against the best team, and then we lost 3-0 against the third team (because of me). But I now think that the real problem is that a team of Samus+a Sheik like mine is really bad against a Jiggs + Sheik team. I mean, if the team facing you is not as good, it's ok, but if they are even slightly, it can become nasty real quick.

But yeah, apart from that, I think that if we work on it a little bit, we'll be able to do good things. Too bad we don't have any videos of us at this tournament :(

As for Cyr, he was beating Tekk at my smashfest before Beast 2, and he beat him in WF... but then this kid decided it'd be funny to make a comeback :(
Also LOL at Inui logic. It's definitely the best way to say who beats who. Before Beast 2, I could use it to say that I was about as good as Zgetto lol

stelzig

Smash Lord
Eagle and I did beat android and smasher89 at beauty, heh. But yeah tekks puff is far better than smasher's ^x^ (we did fairly well against calle w and GsE's puff at the same tournament as well)
I agree that it is probably one of the harder matchups for this team, but it is doable :)

Keep playing sheik/samus so we can steal tricks and strategies from you! :p

Slhoka

Smash Lord
Eagle and I did beat android and smasher89 at beauty, heh. But yeah tekks puff is far better than smasher's ^x^ (we did fairly well against calle w and GsE's puff at the same tournament as well)
I agree that it is probably one of the harder matchups for this team, but it is doable :)

Keep playing sheik/samus so we can steal tricks and strategies from you! :p
And do the same so that we'll steal some from you as well lol.
Sheik/Samus ditto MM next summer in Norway ? lol
Actually I never money match but I'd be up for a serious set

Pi

Smash Hero
why not weak bair strong bair
i guess nair bair would look sexier

moonwalk has got to be the best AT i implemented into my samus gameplay
seriously boosted me up a couple of tiers for sure

ihavespaceblondes

Smash Master
I know right?
Nothing beats the feeling of outspacing a ledgehopped aerial with a moonwalk back up-angled fsmash.
Well, except maybe jerking off while doing it.
But that would be difficult.

Top Bottom