• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

EXTENNNDUURRRRRR (samus gen. disc.)

What are your favorite moves?

• Total voters

Van.

Smash Ace
So is the samus shoot missile, run up and mix up das attack /grab approach like a staple samus thing?

I didn't think it was, but somewhere on here (i can't remember precisely) I heard it reffered to as an important tactic.

The only reason i'm asking is that i have a friend who started playing competitively about 4 months ago who intuitively started using this, without watching videos or reading on here at all. Idk anything about samus, and at first i thought it was just some cheesy noob thing, but now i hear it may be a real high level tactic. I'm interested in which one it is.

Geist

Smash Master
It works when it works. It's not Samus's most important strategy, but it's far from a cheesy noob tactic.
Also if they jump oos you can follow up with a nair, so it covers more than just grab/dash attack.

Pi

Smash Hero
well it becomes pretty clear to you when you're shooting **** at your opponent
hm...they are shielding

so then you follow the missile in, and grab their shield

and then they start doing other things, like jabbing the missile or we

so you dash attack them after they jab the missile

it's just natural action re-action progression

it's a technique learned early on that carries through to high level play for sure, if your opponent lets you get missiles off and shields them that is lol

but basically missiles will always force some sort of response by your opponent, it goes from countering shield, to baiting jumps, or attacks, or forcing them onto a platform, into the air, into a roll, it's fun

Rat

Smash Lord
Missile set-ups are a thing.

Missile grab is one of them. Not my favorite, but it's there.

I'm not sure what you're looking for here.

Are you trying to get your friend to stop playing Samus? Stop Missile grab/dashA? Stop beating you? Do something else?

Van.

Smash Ace
Missile set-ups are a thing.

Missile grab is one of them. Not my favorite, but it's there.

I'm not sure what you're looking for here.

Are you trying to get your friend to stop playing Samus? Stop Missile grab/dashA? Stop beating you? Do something else?
...Not really sure what to say to this. My first post doesn't imply that I was angry about him using this tactic, nor that he was beating me. Your last three questions definently come off as trying to provoke a negative reaction from me, certainly for no good reason.

I'm actually very pleased that he is using this, since its an effective thing which he discovered on his own. It gives me reason to believe that he is naturally adaptive/intuitive, and will be a good training partner for years to come.

Van.

Smash Ace
His main problem is that he gets demoralized easily. I beat him in a samus ditto MM a few weeks ago and he mained kirby for three days.

McNinja

Smash Ace
...Not really sure what to say to this. My first post doesn't imply that I was angry about him using this tactic, nor that he was beating me. Your last three questions definently come off as trying to provoke a negative reaction from me, certainly for no good reason.

I'm actually very pleased that he is using this, since its an effective thing which he discovered on his own. It gives me reason to believe that he is naturally adaptive/intuitive, and will be a good training partner for years to come.
Aww thank you Van.! Looks like you have a heart after all. And about the maining kirby thing, you're just mad I beat you in a kirby ditto for 20 bucks. Anyways, so is my missle-grab/dash attack idea good? Yes or no?

:phone:

Rat

Smash Lord

I'm sorry. I didn't understand the problem and was poking around for potential ones.

I could have just said I don't understand the problem instead of asking ****ty questions. So sorry about that.

Van.

Smash Ace
Aww thank you Van.! Looks like you have a heart after all. And about the maining kirby thing, you're just mad I beat you in a kirby ditto for 20 bucks. Anyways, so is my missle-grab/dash attack idea good? Yes or no?

It appears to be good, yes.

I'm sorry. I didn't understand the problem and was poking around for potential ones.

I could have just said I don't understand the problem instead of asking ****ty questions. So sorry about that.
Thats perfectly understandable. No hard feelings man.

Pi

Smash Hero
her normal moonwalk is fine ;p, i use it to get on the edge all the time, it's no falcon, but it's way better than G&w at least

Dobs1007

Smash Ace
her normal moonwalk is fine ;p, i use it to get on the edge all the time, it's no falcon, but it's way better than G&w at least
Pivot turnaround wavedash is more effective in almost all situations for me also platform edge cancel pivots... IDK i rarely use her normal moonwalk

Violence

Smash Lord
Man, Juangrybox, always gotta go start ****.

Well, here's my honest opinion, though I'm probably quite biased so you can ignore me.

I think WC Samuses>EC Samuses

I think:

HugS>Spaceballs
Darrell>Plup
HugQ>Rock Lee
and we still have ThePrime, DarkMike, and scrub Samuses like me and AntoPark.

But again, I'm probably ridiculously biased since I've never played you EC'ers. I'm gonna try to make it to the Big House, so I can play Duck, at least, who I hear is 3rd in his region too.

Dobs1007

Smash Ace
Man, Juangrybox, always gotta go start ****.

Well, here's my honest opinion, though I'm probably quite biased so you can ignore me.

I think WC Samuses>EC Samuses

I think:

HugS>Spaceballs
Darrell>Plup
HugQ>Rock Lee
and we still have ThePrime, DarkMike, and scrub Samuses like me and AntoPark.

But again, I'm probably ridiculously biased since I've never played you EC'ers. I'm gonna try to make it to the Big House, so I can play Duck, at least, who I hear is 3rd in his region too.
Idk if Wes comes back strong East coast pretty good lol plus DJN Samus is pretty nice I'm a scruby east coaster though so...

Also just realized who Rock Lee is stop changing ur name lol Who all is goin to Apex I wanna chill with my Samus brothers :)

DarrellD

Smash Ace
This is how I know plup is mad good. I don't think ive seen him post anything about himself other than his vids.

Who's going to ROM?

THE RED SPARROW

Smash Lord
As far as methodical, intelligent play goes I think HugS, Plup, Rat, and HugQ are all very good.

Dark Mike gets an honorable mention but I haven't seen or heard of him recently.

Pi

Smash Hero
^lol i'm unsure of how to feel about IHSB not being in those lists

also duck is p good too, and some of the EU sami have looked pretty fresh as well

and DJN samus always impresses me

Pi

Smash Hero
Nah man I'm in the "Silent Wolf" school of smashers, aka technical *******es. HugS said it, it must be true.
did those vids of the tournament you won ever get put up? i'm going to go on a video studying marathon here in the future, it's boiling under the surface and gets put on procrastinate every time something side tracks me, i have to keep watching inspirational things to keep my motivation up but i really hope it comes through

so yea, gimme those vids so i can study and learn

ihavespaceblondes

Smash Master
did those vids of the tournament you won ever get put up? i'm going to go on a video studying marathon here in the future, it's boiling under the surface and gets put on procrastinate every time something side tracks me, i have to keep watching inspirational things to keep my motivation up but i really hope it comes through

so yea, gimme those vids so i can study and learn
The quality is garbage and it's not split into separate vids but here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRJtq33v_ls

THE RED SPARROW

Smash Lord
People sleeping on Alukard, DJ Nintendo and Skinhoff's Samus (NY da bess)

DJ Nintendo has a good Samus but I rarely see enough of it (in various matchups) to form a full opinion. The recent ADVENT tournament I saw with Plup cements him in the top 3 category IMO.

Duck is also quite good.

All in all. many named players pretty much have unique touches to Samus that we can all learn. What I like about Samus is that you can win with style or just stick to the fundamentals and still win with smarts. It's all about what the player puts in.

christianizcool

Smash Cadet
Hey super noob here. I can't get my timing for bomb jumping right and can't find any videos that really help. Any advice?
Sorry if there is a better place to ask this.

Geist

Smash Master
Mashing down b actually works with the timing. Thankfully it's one of the few things in this game that's not too specific.

Pi

Smash Hero
Down B once
then mash down B
then bounce and wait for the peak, then down B again
then mash down B
then bounce and wait for the peak, etc.
may or may not have been obvious but figured i'd mention it cause 'just mash' didn't sit right w/ me @.@

Pi

Smash Hero
buy a notebook and write down your thoughts and ways you think you can improve
tech skill you need to practice
watch video's and write down ideas you learn from the video's
look beyond the combo's, focus on the set ups
look at how the players move and position themselves, how they edgeguard and recover
when they roll/spot dodge
write it all down

and if you find out matchup specific things write those down separately so when you have to fight that matchup you can review it

Top Bottom