• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

EXTENNNDUURRRRRR (samus gen. disc.)

What are your favorite moves?

• Total voters

Pi

Smash Hero
plups mad good at fox

and no dude, vs falco you have to be so not-frustrated that you are just like chillin in your chair all relaxed and **** when the falco player is spamming tech skill

you gotta make him frustrated bro

that's the key

samus is a troll character, commence the trolling!

Violence

Smash Lord
I think Darrell mentioned that during his friendlies with Jman, when Jman went campy, Jman actually lost those games.

I really feel that giving a Samus free reign over the stage to chase you everywhere is going to end badly if you're a Fox. Laser->bair spam just doesn't seem like it should work, and while I might not have come across a Fox that does that normally, I'm just not seeing how it works.

Campy Falco though... that ****'s gay as ****, and it's probably 55:45 Falco, imo.

Pluplue

Smash Ace
I concur.

BTW Plup, any advice for playing runaway Fox, or Fox in general?
what I do is just push them to the edge and take the lasers. If fox is playing like that then just tank the lasers and get the good position on him. if he tries to get out of the lil pin with like a back air on the back of your shield then I just wavedash back. space animals are so not phun (unless you play them)

DarrellD

Smash Ace
I think Darrell mentioned that during his friendlies with Jman, when Jman went campy, Jman actually lost those games.

I really feel that giving a Samus free reign over the stage to chase you everywhere is going to end badly if you're a Fox. Laser->bair spam just doesn't seem like it should work, and while I might not have come across a Fox that does that normally, I'm just not seeing how it works.

Campy Falco though... that ****'s gay as ****, and it's probably 55:45 Falco, imo.
Nah man you got it backwards. Fox beats samus 55:45 when he starts camping on platforms and throwing out bairs IMO.

With falco, just get on a platform and wait for an opening.

Ill show you how gay fox is next time we play. My opinion on playing fox is pretty similar to hugo's in the idea that if hes on you in a smart and observant way, your ****ed a little. :(

Real talk, samus is mad fun. Just saying

Rat

Smash Lord
Ok other sami, I need help being cool. It's just not workin.
I feel like I'm havin fun at the water park but my swimsuit keeps falling off.

THE RED SPARROW

Smash Lord
Since the hitbox near the front of Samus's cannon can gran out of the air, I was thinking about testing it out on low height juggles.

So if I Dair'd someone at 30-40% and they're hovering right above me I can continue with a grab instead of finishing with a Smash.

Pi

Smash Hero
Since the hitbox near the front of Samus's cannon can gran out of the air, I was thinking about testing it out on low height juggles.

So if I Dair'd someone at 30-40% and they're hovering right above me I can continue with a grab instead of finishing with a Smash.
def. an option

i think it gets ignored a lot of times though

dair/utilt -> dtilt is also somewhat unexploreed

ihavespaceblondes

Smash Master
I think I have a post somewhere in here about dair -> utilt -> dtilt -> fsmash comboing on Falcon, but it was only at like 1 specific percent. At low percents where they don't fall over or bounce from the dair, though, dair -> utilt -> dtilt combos on pretty much everyone and is easily the best follow-up.

THE RED SPARROW

Smash Lord
I think I have a post somewhere in here about dair -> utilt -> dtilt -> fsmash comboing on Falcon, but it was only at like 1 specific percent. At low percents where they don't fall over or bounce from the dair, though, dair -> utilt -> dtilt combos on pretty much everyone and is easily the best follow-up.
Wait... what are you doing being above Falcon in the first place???

Pi

Smash Hero
being above falcon/ganon/marth is probably the worst feeling in the game

especially if you don't have a 2nd jump and you're not high enough to get out safe bombs

sighhhhh

Violence

Smash Lord
I'm meleeing at SFU Surrey on Sat, but I don't really have plans on Sunday, I guess.

My apartment is still an unholy mess though. werk werk.

ES Lite

The Real Slim Shady
Alright, now that im getting back into melee, some questions...
---jab-crouch-grab (on shield): fast enough to work without getting punished on the startup of the grab?
---Your above the enemy (someone like fox or marth) on yoshi story: do you dair, ff nair, bomb away, etc?
---When is it better to jump off nair instead of edgeguarding with utilt or ftilt?
---DIing: Where do you DI from the usual falcon combos? Jigg's string of bairs/fairs? Falco's dair-shine-dair-shine technique?
---When your on the ledge: is it better to jump-nair, jump-fair, or jump-uair against a CCing opponent on the otherside? And do you up-B after you successfully landing a aerial, or is another move faster to follow up with?

Thanks for reading!

ThePrime

Smash Lord
Alright, now that im getting back into melee, some questions...
---jab-crouch-grab (on shield): fast enough to work without getting punished on the startup of the grab?
---Your above the enemy (someone like fox or marth) on yoshi story: do you dair, ff nair, bomb away, etc?
---When is it better to jump off nair instead of edgeguarding with utilt or ftilt?
---DIing: Where do you DI from the usual falcon combos? Jigg's string of bairs/fairs? Falco's dair-shine-dair-shine technique?
---When your on the ledge: is it better to jump-nair, jump-fair, or jump-uair against a CCing opponent on the otherside? And do you up-B after you successfully landing a aerial, or is another move faster to follow up with?

Thanks for reading!
looked at this a while ago and was too lazy to answer then so now im looking at it again lol

jab crouch grab: This is the kind of thing you would have to test when playing people. From the frame stand point, Yes they would be able to punish. But realistically it has a good chance catching people off guard and that's why it would work. Of course then the issue comes with the other player getting conditioned to it right?

When im above fox/marth on yoshis i NEVER try to come down with a dair. i know it's really tempting ("oh but it might poke through a platform and ill get em!") is probably what a lot of people think but in retrospect marths are probably going to get their uair or fair before your dair even comes our, and foxes could just punish you on landing. What would i do? I either try to bomb safely to the center of the stage, or to the ledge. However If i see them trying to hit me as im coming down and i know theyre committed to something ill try and fair/nair on reaction.

edgeguarding, it sort of comes with experience and what % theyre at. It's really a question about commitment and how to edgeguard certain characters. Varitions of fall off nair/drop of nair from the ledge/nair coming up from the ledge is nice vs marths. Vs spacies if you know a homing missle is going to hit then u can go out and get em, unless they try and phantom, in that case you just have to see where they're going to firebird after getting hit by that homing.

DI, vs falcon diagonal down and away from where hes facing for uairs (for combo di). Survival is up/toward the stage I'd say it's similar for jiggs. Falco i just DI/smash DI the shine either hard left or hard right and make sure I tech properly if possible.

as for things from the ledge, you'll find that things work but it comes down to not being predictable. How many times have people fair'd from the ledge then they just punish you like an idiot (lol). Thing is you dont always have to aerial up from the ledge, it's all about mixups. I remember phanna used to drop off, wall jump, and quickly air dodge on.

up b after an landing an aerial? Are you implying dair? Lower % dair in to a uptilt to dsmash is nice. The issue is here is getting safe damage on them vs a higher risk option that would do MORE damage AND give you a positional advantage. Say you just killed a fox, and u go the ledge as he respawns. He'll go to the ledge, and sometimes if they mess up or if you bait out something you can quickly dair up from the ledge and dsmash. It's a classic. As opposed to dair upb, the dsmash can setup a gimp.

Hope that helps

ES Lite

The Real Slim Shady
Alright thanks for all the info I'll keep this in mind next time I playing.

One quick question: What is samus's best spacing move? With the best priority and range and whatnot. Is it ftilt?

ThePrime

Smash Lord
Alright thanks for all the info I'll keep this in mind next time I playing.

One quick question: What is samus's best spacing move? With the best priority and range and whatnot. Is it ftilt?
Yup. Though dtilt is worth mentioning because it has a better chance of shield poking plus if it hits it can set up other moves. Where as if a ftilt hits you can't really follow up. Better players will punish you for dtilting their shield, but a well spaced ftilt is extremely hard to punish OoS. Best spacing move? Ftilt. But don't count out dtilt, it's just risk vs reward

ES Lite

The Real Slim Shady
Okay i see what you mean. What should I do if someone is constantly using a move that out ranges my moves? Like for instance what is a marth fairs or other characters' bairs.

I think samus's bair has a lot of range, but im not sure.

Geist

Smash Master
Marth spamming fairs usually gets him punished. Space, and time ftilt or dash attack in between them. Not much you can definitively counter against spacies's bairs, they're super safe if they space well. If they're approaching you with rapid bairs and the nairplane, just wd back> dtilt/dsmash.

Pi

Smash Hero
only way you can truly get outspaced is if you're not moving
melee is too fast to reliably outspace a mobile opponent 100% of the time w/o getting baited into throwing out a move and punished for it

Top Bottom