• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

EXTENNNDUURRRRRR (samus gen. disc.)

What are your favorite moves?

• Total voters

Violence

Smash Lord
Be annoying. Make him think you're approaching but just kinda just hang back there just out of reach. Eventually he'll want to take a swat at you, and that's where spacing comes in.
Learn your spacinggggg
Leeeaaarrrrnn it
Beeeeeee the samus

If you can't space marth in your sleep, you're doing it wrong.
Hey, that's my line.

Basically, you want to ingrain this matchup into your head. Understand exactly how far Marth can swing out, until you can anticipate an approach. As soon as he swings, you're right there to hit back with an ftilt and just out of range.

You can also force inward and CC fair to dtilt to combo.

Edge guard actively, not passively, whenever possible. Don't be afraid to just go out there and throw a wrench(nair) into his recovery path.

All in all, it's the spacing, imo. As long as the spacing of Marth's moves is carved into your brain, you can win.

THE RED SPARROW

Smash Lord
It's also good to wait until the Marth has used his second jump before you jump out Nair, he can still swat you out of the way with confidence until then. Edgeguard a sweetspotting Marth with Down Smash instead of Nair when on that dreaded Yoshi's Story stage.

Pi

Smash Hero
what is the marth doing while not approaching
just jabbing missiles?

if he's fairing/ftilting, you can punish that

if he's jabbing them, honestly just keep shooting them, when he messes up a couple that's like 20%

Violence

Smash Lord
Hey Violence
Wish we could've played =(
Yeah, it's too bad the tournament was awful. How many people entered singles and when did it end?

I'm really starting to grow tired of the BC tournament scene... people keep saying they want help with the organization and the recording, cool, fine, I'll show up and do that.

I'll wake up mad early after a week of little sleep, pack my **** up, drag it over on a bus ride, a train ride, and another bus ride, climb up a couple flights of stairs, and I'll get there on time with everything I have, ready to go.

We have a room that needs no reservation, I'm pretty sure, the one and only thing we needed was TVs. That was it. There needed to be one thing done, and I was perfectly willing to bust my *** and handle the rest.

But then they can't get more than 3 TVs for 20+ people? Seriously?

I'm not gonna point fingers, and people up here seem nice enough, but it's like it's not even a community. It's just a bunch of people who get together every now and then to play videogames. Nobody helps each other!

I dunno if I'm going to any more BC tournaments, it's not like we have a shortage of Samuses either, mirite?

Maybe I'll starting going once I get to the level where I stop getting ***** by Darrell's alts.

edgeluca

Smash Lord
NNID
Edgeluca
3DS FC
2879-0257-1267
Yeah, it's too bad the tournament was awful. How many people entered singles and when did it end?

I'm really starting to grow tired of the BC tournament scene... people keep saying they want help with the organization and the recording, cool, fine, I'll show up and do that.

I'll wake up mad early after a week of little sleep, pack my **** up, drag it over on a bus ride, a train ride, and another bus ride, climb up a couple flights of stairs, and I'll get there on time with everything I have, ready to go.

We have a room that needs no reservation, I'm pretty sure, the one and only thing we needed was TVs. That was it. There needed to be one thing done, and I was perfectly willing to bust my *** and handle the rest.

But then they can't get more than 3 TVs for 20+ people? Seriously?

I'm not gonna point fingers, and people up here seem nice enough, but it's like it's not even a community. It's just a bunch of people who get together every now and then to play videogames. Nobody helps each other!

I dunno if I'm going to any more BC tournaments, it's not like we have a shortage of Samuses either, mirite?

Maybe I'll starting going once I get to the level where I stop getting ***** by Darrell's alts.
Ehh the tournament was fine and generally they're alot better than that one. That was by far the worst one I've been to.
Next time I'm gonna bring 2 TVs so I'm doing my part. We're generally alot better than that, so please TRY and give us another chance. I really would like to still see you at tournaments. We kinda need you to replace me, since I main Marth and Sheik now. Don't let me down bro.

edgeluca

Smash Lord
NNID
Edgeluca
3DS FC
2879-0257-1267
He's a godless child, don't mind him.
He aborts babies and eats puppies.
i bet anything he dislieks mudkips

oh the horror
I take offence to these posts.
I'm Christian and certainly against the act of consuming puppies and aborting babies.
And I liek Mudkips very much.
Treecko is better though.

TheLifeRuiner

Smash Lord
everyone knows doubles don't count

ALSO YOUR SIG

also i kept thinking the girl in your avatar had huge boobs and was wearing revealing clothing
i just now realized it's just her leg

ihavespaceblondes

Smash Master
Rohins give me some words of wisdom encouragement inspiration for SMYM this weekend. I've been playing too conservatively and timidly since pound, I need to reclaim that reckless zeal.

Rohins

Smash Lord
NNID
Rohins
Rohins give me some words of wisdom encouragement inspiration for SMYM this weekend. I've been playing too conservatively and timidly since pound, I need to reclaim that reckless zeal.
You're the fastest Samus and people underestimate her speed. This gives you the capacity to surprise your opponent. You know how to land bombs & wavebomb really well, use it for tricky crossups when they're trying to stay in their shield. If they try to zone or outspace you take the time to explore the level and enjoy their frustration when they try to land a hit.

THE RED SPARROW

Smash Lord
Kniht-3-Think: GAAAAH! You've gotten so much better, esp. @ Samus dittos. I need to actually go to the lab and learn some Samus tricksies! This tournament has inspired me to actually get the game to practice that stuff.

Pi

Smash Hero
Kniht-3-Think: GAAAAH! You've gotten so much better, esp. @ Samus dittos. I need to actually go to the lab and learn some Samus tricksies! This tournament has inspired me to actually get the game to practice that stuff.
yea i actually have some what of a gameplan when going into samus ditt's now

eager to see how our games play out next time we meet

ty for the game changing peach advice lol

THE RED SPARROW

Smash Lord
yea i actually have some what of a gameplan when going into samus ditt's now

eager to see how our games play out next time we meet

ty for the game changing peach advice lol
lol No problem with helping you with the Peach matchup (much to my friend's chagrin) I had no idea you were going to face him again.:embarrass:

I usually have no problems in Samus dittos. But this time you were pulling off maneuvers that not even Phanna does! So I had a hard time adapting. Good show.

I forgot to mention that U/F Tilt does well against Peach as long as she's not floating normal jump height.

What are the matchups you're experienced in? I need help myself with Fox, Mr. Esam destroyed me. =/

Pi

Smash Hero
lol No problem with helping you with the Peach matchup (much to my friend's chagrin) I had no idea you were going to face him again.:embarrass:

I usually have no problems in Samus dittos. But this time you were pulling off maneuvers that not even Phanna does! So I had a hard time adapting. Good show.

I forgot to mention that U/F Tilt does well against Peach as long as she's not floating normal jump height.

What are the matchups you're experienced in? I need help myself with Fox, Mr. Esam destroyed me. =/
well tbh i feel quite versed in marth, fox, falco - as in i have a gameplan and know how/when to punish/approach/recover/gimp etc.
to a lesser extent falcon & ganon & jiggs-lacking some of the aspects listed above
and lower than that would be sheik, luigi, pika, link, roughly

smiles was giving me a really hard time, i think he ended up taking majority of the friendlies we played

i'm not sure how/when to use missiles in this matchup, i think that's a key component i'm missing tbh, also not knowing when to grab

aside from that though, it comes down to making the fox leave himself vulnerable, or approach you.
i found that when a fox is dash dance camping or shooting lasers or w/e they are looking for a pattern to exploit. some times you can bait a fox into approaching by doing something silly once or twice; up tilting at nothing a few times, charging a ball, missiling predictably

just make sure he is not in range to punish, but he thinks he is, or he thinks he's got you pegged, then you either CC into stuff, or UB ooS, or if you can WDback into stuff even better

i'm sure others can expand on this, hugs & plup i know are extremely well versed in the matchup
and darrell certainly doesn't afraid of foxes

not real sure how to hard counter aggro foxes though.

THE RED SPARROW

Smash Lord
well tbh i feel quite versed in marth, fox, falco - as in i have a gameplan and know how/when to punish/approach/recover/gimp etc.
to a lesser extent falcon & ganon & jiggs-lacking some of the aspects listed above
and lower than that would be sheik, luigi, pika, link, roughly

smiles was giving me a really hard time, i think he ended up taking majority of the friendlies we played

i'm not sure how/when to use missiles in this matchup, i think that's a key component i'm missing tbh, also not knowing when to grab

aside from that though, it comes down to making the fox leave himself vulnerable, or approach you.
i found that when a fox is dash dance camping or shooting lasers or w/e they are looking for a pattern to exploit. some times you can bait a fox into approaching by doing something silly once or twice; up tilting at nothing a few times, charging a ball, missiling predictably

just make sure he is not in range to punish, but he thinks he is, or he thinks he's got you pegged, then you either CC into stuff, or UB ooS, or if you can WDback into stuff even better

i'm sure others can expand on this, hugs & plup i know are extremely well versed in the matchup
and darrell certainly doesn't afraid of foxes

not real sure how to hard counter aggro foxes though.

OK cool, thanks for the tips. If you need advice on the Jiggz matchup I can certainly help. Playing floaties seems to be my specialty.

Pi

Smash Hero
well here's my gameplan for vs. jiggs

i'll shoot missiles and see if the jiggs knows how to deal with them
if he doesn't i spam em, run away and spam em basically, and charge my shot when i can

k i don't really run away and spam em but if there's space and platforms i will

as far as approaching the jiggs (lol), i was having quite a bit of successs coming diagnally down on top of the jiggs with nair, the hitbox is quite potent from that angle

my kills came from missiles/charge shots/nairs and some up tilts, but i'm not a fan of uptilt in this matchup since it requires the jiggs to overcommit more than he needs too

i try to UB the jiggs as much as possible, i don't challenge his aerials if i can't approach with nair like i said before, i do like Ftilts if he's not busy bairing, and obv if he's above you upair is always nice

i don't really like fair in this matchup cause it's damage is pitiful unless a decent ammount of hits connect and it doesn't really lead into anything on jiggs

i really haven't a clue what to do OoS aside from WD back and try to regain some semblance of control in the matchup, nair OoS to me seems too risky if they're not over commiting

uh idk what else, that's what went through my head when i thought of vs. jiggs

so yea if you wanna critique/add on to that would be appreciated

ThePrime

Smash Lord
^
I actually find uptilt fantastic vs jiggs when they're approaching with fair, it just comes down to timing and how well you can bait it out.

Best out OoS things? For me that has to be wavedash oos --> jab. It's great passive pressure and when you stagger them or switch it up, it can bait that fair i was talking about.

Always have a charage shot. Don't rush it when playing vs jiggs and take your time. The mindgame of having that charge shot is very threatening that a lot of samus players dont realize or underestimate imo.

general fighting, I never put myself in the air unless i can be certain ill hit her with a nair or something. Control space with missles and see how the jiggs reacts to them. Apply pressure via ground play and try to bait stuff.

edit: SUP GUYS. I take too many breaks in melee lol, and now im back in to it again haha. Tied for 5th at our last monthly.

THE RED SPARROW

Smash Lord
Both are you are pretty much spot on with the matchup. The main factor with the matchup is just not making mistakes, otherwise you get Rested or Bair'd to death.

TheLifeRuiner

Smash Lord
hey jason
why did you change your name to 3 anyways
i am curious because 3 is one of my favorite numbers

Top Bottom