• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Expanding The Kingdom: Weekly Dedede Stage Discussion (Week 12 - Pokémon Stadium 2)

Jupz

Smash Master
So.... delfino. It's great for DDD, there's walkoffs, wall infinites on a few of the stages, and the main platform isn't bad for DDD. Be aware though that when playing a character that DDD can CG here, they will usually camp away from a spot they can be wall chaingrabbed or grabbed. For some reason I find it easy to get a lot of inhales here as it is a very hectic stage at some points. Beware of the stages with water as you can get easily spiked. Utilt will hit at the edges of the platforms and the umbrellas in the one level with umbrellas :p

You could take Marth, Yoshi, Lucario, Ness, Lucas, P trainer, C falcon, ganondorf, ike, wolf, peach, snake, pit.

sMexy-Blu

Smash Lord
I love CGing ppl to the death zones and killing them. :)

You can also Wall Infinite ppl here but just for a small period of time till the stage transforms again.

This is a great couterpick for DeDeDe.

5/5?

Mythic02

Smash Journeyman
This is definitely one of our best stages. I really like it here. Abuse walk offs and walls as much as possible. They equal an easy stock or at least a lot of damage. The only really bad thing i think is the water. Avoid letting people camp in the water. It isn't fun for us.

I'm going to have to disagree on counterpicking this stage against marth. This is his best stage right next to batttlefield.

Counterpick on: Fox and Zelda.
Ban or strike against: Marth or metaknight

You don't really have to worry about banning this stage against someone, because we can easily compete against others, but you might want to go somewhere else if you face a really good metaknight or marth.

I say easily 4/5 or 5/5.

Dark 3nergy

Smash Hero
NNID
Gambit.7
3DS FC
4313-0369-9934
Switch FC
SW-5498-4166-5599
Delfino Plaza

Intermission phase 1 – When you and your opponent spawns you’ll both be on a floating platform approaching Delfino Plaza. There is a large top platform with slants at the ends. With a smaller platform under it. Both of these platforms can be used to avoid/approach campers from the start of the match.

**It should be known that you can freely pass through the underside of the bottom platform, the one with the Dolphin Logo on it.

Intermission phase 2 – 3 platforms spawn. The top middle platform is horizontal while the left/ right platforms are longer, and slant inward toward the base platform.

Intermission phase 3 – As the platform rises again, 2 platforms spawn. Both are about equal in length. The one on the left is lower to the base platform and the one on the right is slightly higher.

Intermission phase 4 – 3 platforms spawn. One on the left, one the right and middle. Half of the platform on the right and left side hang out beyond the ledges of the bottom platform. These left and right most platforms are relatively smaller compared to the slightly longer one in the middle high above the base platform.

Hotel Front – When the air borne platforms recedes in front of a long hotel building with a dome structure on top of it. D3 has a lot of room to Chain Grab on this transformation. No platforms here, the bottom platform grows in size, very small inclines lead out into water on both sides. It’s also pretty easy to make a kill from the sides here.

3 Pillars Transformation – The air borne platform recedes and 3 stone pillars tipped with grass take it’s place. The pillar farthest to the right is smaller in size compared to the two on the left. The leftern most pillar being the largest. There is water, all around these pillars. There really isn’t any room to Chain Grab here. You can up+b meteor through the water here if your opponent is careless. I find that the ceiling here is a lot closer due to the pillars height. Utilt should easily kill off the top here. A well placed Bair edge-guard should also kill off to the sides. Try not to get stuck in between the pillars. Especially if your opponent has a really good Dair spike.

Hotel Roof – The air borne platform recedes and the platform now becomes the roof top of the hotel – No platforms here. The dome in the middle has 2 walls facing out which can be used to infinite on. It should be noted that there ARE NO LEDGES IN THIS TRANSFORMATION!!! The left side will allow for a walk off Chain Grab, while the right side has a bottom blast zone with no ledge. If your opponent sticks to the right side and ends up recovering low from the grove to the right, a good Bair against that wall will stage spike them. An edge guarding Bair from the air will also kill on that side fairly well.

Shine Gate – 2 walls, 2 sweet spot able edges. If your recovering from under the base platform that juts out from those walls you can pass through them. There are no floating platforms in this transformation.

Sandy Beach 1 [with a green pipe] – On this transformation, there are no platforms and this base platform has a really deep slope on both the right and left side. This is probably one of my least favorite transformations because these slopes don’t really do anything for D3. If you end up in the water these slopes make it more of a challenge to get back on the stage. Spammers and campers can be a real pain here.

Water Arch way -- There’s one platform here in the form of a red roof. There is a walk off to the right. 2 walls facing in, in the middle of the stage with water you can walk on. A water pit area to the left, plus another walk off possible to the left. This is another favorite section of mine, just like with the Hotel Roof, nice walk offs and wall infinites here. Start a Chain Grab in the water and then wall infinite them. Pretty nice stuff. If you happen to launch your opponent to the sides, as they’re coming from out of the side blast zones either; Grab and bthrow them for a nice kill or Bair/Fair them if your in the air.

Dolphin Fountain – No ledges, no platforms, no walls – 2 walk offs and 2 inclining stair wells facing each other. I think these inclines are more forgiving than the ones on Sandy Beach 1. Still allows room for good Chain Grabbing.

Sandy Beach 2 [palm tree with red man hole] – No platforms. This beach is longer than Sandy Beach 1 and has ramps that slope off into water on either side. Chain Grabbing is still pretty useful here.

Docking Port – 2 Umbrella’s are the only platforms here situated closely together close to the right. There are 2 walls on the left side facing each other in the water. It’s hard to see the leftern most wall since its hidden due to the camera. There’s a walk off to the right side. Bair’s work wonders on either the right/left sides where the blast zones are.

• Lots of opportunities to Chain Grab – both in the air during a intermission and on solid ground
• WALLS WALLS WALLS
• The only platforms you see in this stage are either during intermissions in the air, Docking Port [umbrella’s], and Water Arch Way [single red roof]. Most of these platforms are spaced out enough to give you room to move through them.
• Lots of chances to make kills from the sides. Whether it’s a walk off CG, Bair/Fair.

Side note; if your playing on this stage past the 4 minute mark, you’ll end up fighting on one of these intermission stages a little longer as the game engine stops for a brief moment before going through another transformation process again. Keep this in mind and read up on how these Intermission phase stages look/work like, because you might end up fighting on one of them for longer than usual.

Ban Against;

Meta Knight
Marth

Both of these characters have good tools to abuse the side blast zones. More so than D3 does.

Counter Pick:

Snake

While I love the hazards of Norfair, I know I’d best be spending my counter pick on Snake here. You can Chain Grab this guy and infinite him on a wall. No platforms equals no where strategicly to put his C4, Proxy Mine, even Grenades. It’d really only be useful for him to set traps during the intermission phases. Even then those do not last long, plus depending on what type of phase you get, the platforms might be too spaced out to make it effective to use traps like at Battlefield.

Commander_Beef

Smash Champion
Everyone's said everything about this stage except one thing:
Do NOT take Fox here. . .-_-.
The matchup, in general, is bad for King Dedede because of Fox's up tilt and his faster games.

Coney

Smash Master
Everyone's said everything about this stage except one thing:
Do NOT take Fox here. . .-_-.
The matchup, in general, is bad for King Dedede because of Fox's up tilt and his faster games.
Whoawhoawhoawhoa, what? I've never, ever had a problem with a Fox and I've played quite a few good ones. What makes Delfino so good for him? Just curious.

Gates

Banned via Warnings
Halberd. All you need to know is that it has a low ceiling.

Take every light character you can't chaingrab here. The only thing that would be debatable would be Game & Watch since his Usmash will abuse the low ceiling just as well as your utilt. Definitely CP it for MK, Kirby (if Rainbow Cruise is banned), Falco, Pikachu, Olimar, Zelda, Shiek, ZSS, Fox, and Jiggs. You may also want to think about taking light characters who you can chaingrab here like Ness, Lucas, Mario, and Luigi. IDK if I'd want to fight someone like Snake here but if I had to I wouldn't mind.

4.5/5

Coney

Smash Master
Halberd is nice for the early utilt KOs(but of course, you also die earlier).
I'm pretty sure that DDD is the hardest character to kill vertically...right? Or am I just making that up? Could swear I read that somewhere.

Anyway, my point is that you shouldn't be afraid of the vertical kills.

How's Halberd's ceiling? I think I remember it having a relatively low one. If Halberd is a neutral, you could definitely do worse for your first match. Dunno if I'd CP it, but it's a thought.

sMexy-Blu

Smash Lord
Yes DeDeDe has the highest vertical survival rate and he also has the 2nd best Utilt after Snake so low ceiling stages are your friend.

EDIT: Halberd has the 3rd lowest ceiling.

Its a CP, a really nice one. 5/5?

I'd like to see Buuman's & CO18 opinions about this stage, I see them using this as a counter pick a lot.

Mythic02

Smash Journeyman
Important things to note: At the very beginning it is a walk off. You have to get to it quickly though, Because of the grab break. At the beginning the floor opens up to lead to the second part of the stage and a grab break happens. This means there is no lag for your victim and they are in total control.

The laser aims for the person with higher damage. If you have higher damage, follow your opponent. If not, try to stay away from them.

Also, you can go through the bottom platform. This opens up a few opportunities like U-air through the platform. It also opens up recovery options.

Things to do:
Chaingrab people into a laser. >:D
Also, if you are facing a really noobish Lucas or Game and Watch for some reason. Tell them it's cheap that they can absorb the laser. It's not likely they'll fall for it, but it's really funny if they do.

Interesting thing: This is one of Zelda's worst stages, but one of Sheik's best. Go figure? So basically, if you go here against a zelda main, They will probably switch as soon as possible.

Who to ban against: Snake, He is the only person with a better U-Tilt >:(
-This is also a really good yoshi stage.

Who to counterpick against: Anyone really light is your best bet.

Commander_Beef

Smash Champion
Whoawhoawhoawhoa, what? I've never, ever had a problem with a Fox and I've played quite a few good ones. What makes Delfino so good for him? Just curious.
You've not played any good Foxes then man, they're probably not as good as you think. I have played Samboner numbers of times and Foxes that play just like him. That's all I have to say =(.

sMexy-Blu

Smash Lord
Beef don't use "ive played the best fox" johns.

EDIT: Samboner is .... meh

Coney

Smash Master
You've not played any good Foxes then man, they're probably not as good as you think. I have played Samboner numbers of times and Foxes that play just like him. That's all I have to say =(.
I've only played one or two Foxes, but one of them was NKB. I'd imagine he knows his stuff.

Rookie was at the last one I was at, didn't play him though

Dream Land Works

Smash Journeyman
Alright, Castle Siege will be our next stage to discuss. (:laugh: More stages with transformations, we'll have to go with something more consistent next week.)

sMexy-Blu

Smash Lord
Counterpick this on characters that you can CG (if they beat you one match like Marth, Diddy,Luigi or TL) or if they are campers.

1st part = Bad

2nd Part = Babies

3rd Part = Babies

3.5/5

Mythic02

Smash Journeyman
1st transformation: This part is ok, but the little slope in the middle can be annoying and you'll have to work for chain grabs. They can abuse the platforms here too. The only real good thing on this is that it's easy to get early gimp kills, people just have trouble recovering here.

1st transition: Go for the grab. It's an easy chain grab to walk off so go for it. Ground game will rule the game here. Aerialists just have trouble without platforms. This is your best part.

2nd transformation: Another walk off, but you'll have to work for it. Your opponents will use the platforms as much as possible. They are practically a level in themselves. They don't ever have to come down.

2nd transition: Exactley like the first transition. It's really good for you but there's one difference from the previous transition. At the end of the transition your victim gets released and you'll fall through the ground if you grab at the right time. Avoid that happening as much as possible. When it's over and if you aren't on the stage though you'll be grabbing in midair and a down throw can pretty much screw them.

3rd transformation: This is a pretty good part overall, it is mainly flat and allows for decent chaingrabbing, but no walkoff. No platforms means that once again aerialists have trouble.

3rd transition: Same as the last two. This time though, you won't fall through the floor and you can once again down throw gimp at the end.

Overall: 1st transtion-2nd transition start grabbing as much as possible. When that stops happening start gimping as much as possible. Beware platform abuse though.

Extras: In the middle of a transition pausing will make the wait time shorter. DO NOT PAUSE! Those transitions are the best part for King Dedede.

Overall rating: 4/5

Ban against:
Pokemon trainer, all his pokemon generally do well here.

Bowser: You probably should use your ban on Norfair and battlefield, but if you need another place to ban here is his third best stage. Oh well, it's pretty much LOL anyways if you infinite and he does well.

Counterpick:
Toon link, His projectile's are blocked by the platforms mainly, so he has to come down to the ground if he wants to fights.

Zero suit samus: Easy gimping versus a tether recovery, Heck yes!

Commander_Beef

Smash Champion
Beef don't use "ive played the best fox" johns.

Samboner sucks.

Monkeyx4 and 718 R00KIE ftw
It doesn't seem like you've even played him before dude. Smexy...give me information of how Samboner sucks with actual evidence on how he sucks, or else, that means he really doesn't suck.

---Chain grab on the walk offs!!

You're out of luck if the following characters take you to Castle Siege:

Rob: can outcamp us in the second transformation because of the statues.
Marth: Less space to avoid spacing attacks from Marth on first transformation.

sMexy-Blu

Smash Lord
Samboner doesn't actually sucks, I just don't think he is the best Fox, he goes to very phew offline tournaments and only has reputation for being good online.

718 R00KIE is a much better Fox.

Fogo

Smash Shinigami
Yes DeDeDe has the highest vertical survival rate and he also has the 2nd best Utilt after Snake so low ceiling stages are your friend.

EDIT: Halberd has the 3rd lowest ceiling.

Its a CP, a really nice one. 5/5?

I'd like to see Buuman's & CO18 opinions about this stage, I see them using this as a counter pick a lot.
Yeah CO wrecks on that stage. He basically just uses the middle platform that's virtually always present (beside the first few seconds of the match) to cut off options and to get free utilts.

As for castle siege:

Gimps on first transformation are a (+)
walk offs are a (+)
3rd transformation is like FD and halberd mixed (+)
Dthrow spikes are a (+)
Protection from spam on 2nd transformation (+)

Platform camping during second transformation (-)
Extended hitboxes on statues (-)
Possibility of 1st stage messing up CG (-)

Overall a great stage, I give it 3/5 DDD's :)

Dream Land Works

Smash Journeyman
King Dedede is under fire. He's sent an emergency directive: Get me the **** off this stage!

This week we discuss Norfair.

Gates

Banned via Warnings
Norfair is terrible for Dedede.

If you don't know what to ban against your opponent, Norfair is usually a safe ban.

The only use this stage has is against Ice Climbers, and even then many people choose Rainbow Cruise instead.

0.5/5.

Commander_Beef

Smash Champion
I'm sure many of you have seen this already, but I'm posting it here because it's obviously discussing Norfair.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzdKALKnTog

This only works when another character receives vertical knockback going up (such as the lava), and when King Dedede is on the topmost platform, Inhale will stop momentum of the vertical knockback, making the other character go down from the natural gravity in brawl. (Which leads to getting hit by the lava again and again until the lava goes back down.)

1.) Of course, never use this as counterpick when you're King Dedede, but remember the above paragraph for when someone counterpicks this against you.

qwertyman

Smash Apprentice
I don't believe this stage is as disguisting as everyone seems to think it is. I've counterpicked it as Dedede before, based on my opponent, not their character.

Dedede can abuse the ledges pretty well, given his multiple jumps. He gets good up-tilt setups from the overlapping platforms. He can force people into lava reasonably well with back airs, inhale, throws, and good spacing.

He can Super Dedede Jump over the giant wall of lava that comes from the back of the screen (OMGWTFBBQHAX).

Okay, the last one might not have been a good reason, but I still don't think the stage is absolutely terrible for Dedede.

Mythic02

Smash Journeyman
Hurray Norfair. I love this stage with just about every character who's name isn't King Dedede.

1/5... maybe -1 out of 5. Is that possible?

Aside from Commander Beefs video I don't think there is one good thing about this place.

If you find yourself on this stage, the only way to survive:
-NEVER go in the safety pod. Shield it or spotdodge. If you go in you will get punished so badly. If your opponent is dumb enough to go in there, U-air or U-Smash if the pods on the top. B-air and Maybe even F-smash if it's on the bottom.

Last tip, Throw your opponent into the lava. Do it. It's just plain fun.

Ban against: Every single person other than Ice climbers.

Counterpick: Ice Climbers if you are extremely desperate.

Dream Land Works

Smash Journeyman
It is that time of the week again, we will be moving onto Pirate Ship this week. Also I would like to make a note that I will be going to the next discussion this Thursday around 8:00 PM or so because I will be leaving Friday to go to New Jersey for Apex.

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
**** this ****
Worst stage for Dededee hands down.
the only good things about this stage are the walls, but your opponent will stay away from those like a *****, and will never leave the stage, leaving you vulnerable for a spike on your way back.

Here, and only here, is Ike and Wolf and problem.
That is how bad this stage is for us.

sMexy-Blu

Smash Lord
Dude ban this **** against Ike if its not banned on the tournament.

Also Link & TL.

I say 0/5

I hate this stage!!!!one11one111!!!one!!:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Doing that was fun.

Trust me

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
If you HAVE to play this stage, camp in the very middle, like a rock, don't move. When bombs come, jump up on the platform and platform camp.

Gates

Banned via Warnings
This stage is bad for Dedede. It's not his worst stage, that would be Norfair, but it is still bad for him. Water means you can't gimp recovery and there are a bunch of hazards that can interfere with your chaingrabbing.

Fortunately, the only people who will take you here are characters with bad recoveries and spikes like Ike, Ganon, etc. IDK about Toon Link, I've never had one take me here (they usually go to Battlefield). I've never had a problem with Wolf here, but I can see how he could be harder than normal. G&W also has some tricks on this stage, but I still wouldn't ban it against him because most of them would rather take you to Rainbow Cruise.

1.5/5, and I'm being VERY generous here.

Top Bottom