• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Evo 2013 Ruleset

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
We apparently have a case of stage-huggers in our community LMAOooo

Pathetic.
Wait... the people who want more stages are the stage-huggers? Not the people who are clinging to the "precious few"?

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Nope. I read the responses. I just don't think thats a good reason why we shouldn't do a poll. And once again, no one has offered a better solution.
It's a good thing you're the authority on what good reasons are here, or all hope would be lost.

Be honest with me here, Laijin. Do you have any intention of attending EVO, or any major tournament outside of the East Coast? If not, I'd suggest you quietly stop your discussion here and focus on what actually concerns you; discussing with your local community and TOs about what stagelists you'd like to see at tournaments you might actually attend. If you want to succeed, you shouldn't start with the mountain as a whole, but with the base of that mountain. Your ideals aren't inherently doomed to fail, only the way with which you've tried to go about them. There is no "situation" to inform Mr. Wizard about. As I said in my previous post, the vast majority of the active community (read: community that attends tournaments semi-regularly) are content with our current stagelist, just as you might have been 2+ years ago.

KayB

Smash Master
BRoomer
How exactly is the stage ruleset in Apex broken? As someone who has never been to a major or understands the significance of stage-banning, I would like to know.

Gea

Smash Master
How exactly is the stage ruleset in Apex broken? As someone who has never been to a major or understands the significance of stage-banning, I would like to know.
They aren't. He picked up on people's issues with DSR(M) and went full hyperbole. Basically the issue with DSR modified is that it weighs importance on the order of games as to whether or not you can CP to the same place twice in a Bo5 set. DSR simply prevents you from picking a stage you have won on, but with a small stage list it can give you few options in a Bo5 if you actually want an advantage when counterpicking. It's minor and only affects Bo5 which a minority of players even get to play in, and it's preference as to which rule you prefer. Both are not ideal and thus you have people like Bones suggesting alternative rules to replace it.

As for the stage list discussion, it's probably best to leave that in the thread in the Melee forum and not spill over into the EVO thread.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
I personally find Laijin's values to be contradictory. He finds that the current stage list devalues adaptability and proficiency on multiple and varied stages in comparison to the older stage lists, yet argues for stage bans. Why exactly is the skillset "Proficiency on ~9-10 stages, except for 2 per set" vastly more preferable to the skillset "Proficiency on 6 stages"?

Lovage

Smash Hero
Can someone who supports the "more counter-picks" thing post a list of which stages they want added and their rationale for why they want them added? This seems to be a pretty big issue to those that support it and I'm genuinely curious to see what their line of thinking is.
big hullabaloo over like 2-3 stages at most

anyone who wants actually wants rainbow cruise in tournaments can uninstall their life* people have the shortest memories i swear, game is WAY better off now that we just play neutrals

on another note i read this thread and changed my mind bout wobbling, let it rock **** it nobody plays icies anyway

Atlus8

Smash Master
I still like my rule set above all others because I'm so amazing!

-4 stock
-5 minute
-1st stage is played on Battlefield
-Winner bans one stage

Counterpicks:
-Yoshi's Island
-PK Stadium
-Fountain of Dreams
-Final Destination
-Kongo Jungle 64
-Dream Land 64

Battlecow

Play to Win
late to the party but

wobbling should be legal

mr wizard knows where it's at

1. noobs love watching wobbling it gets hype

2. we should be concerned about competitiveness above crowd-pleasing anyways

Battlecow

Play to Win
late to the party but

wobbling should be legal

mr wizard knows where it's at

1. noobs love watching wobbling it gets hype

2. we should be concerned about competitiveness above crowd-pleasing anyways

LLDL

Smash Hero
OK, here is what im proposing.

Apex ruleset. Ice climbers are free to wobble, pause disabled, 4 stock, 8 minutes, 2/3 games, warmups limited to 30 seconds (to make sure your controllers are working).

We will narrow it down to top 8 via one day, but you can play casuals and run side tournaments the other free day.

Thoughts?
Sounds good to me

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
Just out of curiosity, what's so bad about Brinstar? I understand it's "jank" and whatnot, but did it lead to degenerate gameplay?
"Top players" will have their feelings hurt if they lose as a result of not paying attention to stage dynamics.

Tee ay eye

Smash Hero
anyone who wants actually wants rainbow cruise in tournaments can uninstall their life* people have the shortest memories i swear, game is WAY better off now that we just play neutrals

on another note i read this thread and changed my mind bout wobbling, let it rock **** it nobody plays icies anyway
i love you oscar

Apex ruleset. Ice climbers are free to wobble, pause disabled, 4 stock, 8 minutes, 2/3 games, warmups limited to 30 seconds (to make sure your controllers are working).

We will narrow it down to top 8 via one day, but you can play casuals and run side tournaments the other free day.

Thoughts?
sounds great, as long as that's basically the same treatment that the other games are getting :)

are the other games being narrowed down to top 8 in one day?

Pengie

Smash Lord
"Top players" will have their feelings hurt if they lose as a result of not paying attention to stage dynamics.
Or maybe it's that it allows characters with strong priority underneath them (peach/falco come to mind) to stay on the top platform and abuse their priority in a way that they can't really do elsewhere. IMO, this is a pretty derpy/degenerate tactic and warrants it being banned.

:phone:

Laijin

Smash Hero
Or maybe it's that it allows characters with strong priority underneath them (peach/falco come to mind) to stay on the top platform and abuse their priority in a way that they can't really do elsewhere. IMO, this is a pretty derpy/degenerate tactic and warrants it being banned.

What keeps them from doing that on the "neutral" stages...lol.

Bones0

Smash Legend
I propose a donation drive. Which ever ruleset makes the most money will be used for Evo, the charity will be bobacks's venue. Obvious only the people who care about the Evo ruleset would donate and that's a good way if getting rid of random posters.

I read "donation drive" and lost it. lmfao

We apparently have a case of stage-huggers in our community LMAOooo

Pathetic.
LOL @ stage huggers.

It's a good thing you're the authority on what good reasons are here, or all hope would be lost.

Be honest with me here, Laijin. Do you have any intention of attending EVO, or any major tournament outside of the East Coast? If not, I'd suggest you quietly stop your discussion here and focus on what actually concerns you; discussing with your local community and TOs about what stagelists you'd like to see at tournaments you might actually attend. If you want to succeed, you shouldn't start with the mountain as a whole, but with the base of that mountain. Your ideals aren't inherently doomed to fail, only the way with which you've tried to go about them. There is no "situation" to inform Mr. Wizard about. As I said in my previous post, the vast majority of the active community (read: community that attends tournaments semi-regularly) are content with our current stagelist, just as you might have been 2+ years ago.
He's been to two tournaments since his hiatus, and one of them had RC, BS, KJ, and Corneria legal. lol

I still like my rule set above all others because I'm so amazing!

-4 stock
-5 minute
-1st stage is played on Battlefield
-Winner bans one stage

Counterpicks:
-Yoshi's Island
-PK Stadium
-Fountain of Dreams
-Final Destination
-Kongo Jungle 64
-Dream Land 64
Forcing BF game 1 makes no sense. Just because you like it the most or think it's the most fair doesn't mean it is. That's what stage striking is for. 5 minute is hopefully a typo because every game would just time out. I'd love to see a tournament use this ruleset and crash and burn.

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
are the other games being narrowed down to top 8 in one day?
Unless we break a thousand entrants that's the most he can do for us. Other games will get the same treatment but Marvel or SF might get 1.5 days just because of sheer numbers. I think all top 8's happen sunday because the spectator fees is cheaper for Fri-Sat and more expensive for all 3 days so I'm guessing that's what he'll do. We'll probably be narrowed down Friday and then go Sunday morning or night since they'll probably not want to switch hardware midstream for us until they have to. Gives people all of Sat for friendlies if it does happen, doubles side tourney? Hopefully someone streams, I heard that you can pay the hotel for internet and set up your own stream, it'd be a ***** but I'd pay to subscribe to someone live VGBC if they did something like that.

Laijin

Smash Hero
Unless we break a thousand entrants that's the most he can do for us. Other games will get the same treatment but Marvel or SF might get 1.5 days just because of sheer numbers. I think all top 8's happen sunday because the spectator fees is cheaper for Fri-Sat and more expensive for all 3 days so I'm guessing that's what he'll do. We'll probably be narrowed down Friday and then go Sunday morning or night since they'll probably not want to switch hardware midstream for us until they have to. Gives people all of Sat for friendlies if it does happen, doubles side tourney? Hopefully someone streams, I heard that you can pay the hotel for internet and set up your own stream, it'd be a ***** but I'd pay to subscribe to someone live VGBC if they did something like that.
Doubles side tournament needs to happen on the off day for sure. It'll hype up the entire venue for Sunday too

Lovage

Smash Hero
edit:

Thoughts?

loooks g00D!

also i hope you're considering 3/5 sets for the top8

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
Well, thing is MMs, exhibition matches, doubles and non-top8 singles won't be streamed. I mean TBH, if G3N is happening then who gives a **** about doubles? But streaming other days would be nice. Any one got a 4G LTE phone?

Revven

FrankerZ
non-Top 8 Singles is being streamed, dude. All main event games get stream time pre-Top 8. They'll just choose certain matches to have up on the stream, or a certain bracket pool gets the stream set up. That's one of the differences being a main event game.

Anth0ny

Smash Master

Thoughts?
Sounds perfect.

3/5 top 8 would be greatly appreciated, but if we're running low on time it's no biggie ;)

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
#nobuttonchecks

Real talk, though, there are no control settings in Melee. Your buttons do the same ****ing thing every time you spin up the disc. You don't need a ****ing button check,
Mew2King

No johns.

Atlus8

Smash Master
I'll say this again, only UMvC3 have 3/5 sets for top 128 because of how crazy and "random" that game can be! All other games have 3/5 sets for GF only! Unless they are scheduling top 8 for four games on Saturday and top 8 for the rest of the games on Sunday, then I don't see it happening!

Forcing BF game 1 makes no sense. Just because you like it the most or think it's the most fair doesn't mean it is. That's what stage striking is for. 5 minute is hopefully a typo because every game would just time out. I'd love to see a tournament use this ruleset and crash and burn.
Bookmarking this comment for if I one day win the lottery, I'll host a damn huge tournament!

Top Bottom