• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

EVO 2013 Final Results

Wieners

Smash Apprentice
So, I tried figuring out which characters where used and came up with this list:

Not used at all:
Mario
Y.Link
Roy
G&W
Ness
Bowser
Kirby
Pichu

(there are many players who's mains I don't know, please help me out if I missed someone placing in bracket with that char!)
Half the cast was used in the Top 25. That is pretty amazing in my opinion, so I just wanted to see how it all paned out.
Btw... seriously NO ganondorf at this tourney? I must be missing someone...
Y.Link might still make a noteworthy appearance :)

Link:. The Germ. J666, who beat TOPH. SOCAL!

G&W: The Phenom. VGBC.GimR (I think he entered?)

Bowser: Gojira, Gimpyfish.

Mario: Myself, A Rookie, KoopaTroopa895.

Suspect

Smash Hero
There is nothing more delicious than the salt brewed from hungrybox, chris G and sonic mains.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Where to begin... this tournament was nothing short of indescribable. And to think it all started with a Facebook poll...

This event was filled with so many unforgettable moments. Moments that made me well up in pride at what we as a community were able to do. At the hospitality we were shown when we finally made it. At the grace with which we accepted our prize, at the maturity we displayed, at the statement we made with our attendance numbers and Twitch viewership.

A once thought of as hostile and hateful community of Fighting Game players welcoming us with open arms and nothing but warm words as we were invited as guests after a hard-won donation drive.
Our communities mingling in ways thought impossible. James Chen commentating Melee. Chris G dropping by the Clash stream to say a few words. Smash players entering traditional fighting games and performing well.
An exceptional player maining a character that has been almost unanimously thought for years to be cemented at 8th place on the tier list going through 3 out of the 5 best players in the world in nailbiting sets on his way to Grand Finals.
A champion once again reclaiming the throne by going through all 4 of the rest of the top 5 and Wobbles in two sets in a display of dominance not seen in years.
Quite possibly the best top 8 this game has ever witnessed, displayed to a crowd of 140,000 viewers at home and over 3,000 people at the venue. An entire crowd of people jumping, cheering, clapping and screaming over players using Doctor Mario, Sheik, Marth, Fox, Falco, Peach, Ice Climbers, Jigglypuff in Super Smash Bros.
Nintendo trying to stop the above from happening, and getting shown that we will not be silenced. We will play a game heralded for allowing the player freedom to play it how he or she desires in the way we desire, and they can't and won't stop us.
After all was said and done, an emotionally overwhelming "One More Year" chant from a large group of passionate players who love their game, showing their support for another Melee @ EVO experience.

And countless more.

[break]

I planned to quit after APEX, but decided to give EVO a go, and I was glad I did. This was my last Super Smash Bros. Melee tournament, and what a last hurrah it was. I've had people tell me not to quit, that my DK is inspirational etc., and I really appreciate those sentiments, but I do not enjoy competing in SSBM anymore. There is no longer a character I have fun using competitively, and I have felt this way since late last year (right after RoM). From now on, I will be competing exclusively in Project M, so I'll still be seeing a lot of my old friends from the Melee community at the bigger tournaments where both games are featured. I still have an interest in commentating Melee, but the community has really stepped up on that front in the past year, so I feel it would probably be best to shy away and let those more passionate about the game do so.

Here are my shoutouts. If I didn't mention you and we interacted in some way at EVO, you most likely contributed to this event being great. Thank you. Some of you I've already gave "shoutouts" to in person, so I'll leave you out, but I'm not forgetting you. :)

To the EVO staff and any volunteer judges for running one of the greatest Smash events of all time.

To Mimi, for being hospitable to many and giving us a ride to your lovely home from our hotel. Your mom was also very nice to us, pass along a thanks for me please <3

To Armada, for fulfilling my dream of getting to play the world's best Pit in some serious Project M games. There will never be another Pit that compares, and I'll treasure those games forever. Sharing fries at Inn n' Out was fun, too.

To the rest of the top 8 of Melee, who put on a show that no one will ever forget.

To anyone I had the pleasure of sharing the mic with on commentary. From memory, I think this includes Tafokints, Violence, TheCrimsonBlur, MacD, and prog. It was one of many highlights of the weekend for me, thank you for sharing that experience with me.

To anyone else who commentated Melee and represented our community with a level of professionalism that is often overlooked but ever present.

To anyone in the FGC that I had the pleasure of talking to. I had many an enjoyable conversation with all of them I interacted with, and I was impressed quite a bit. Special shoutouts to SkiSonic, Ultra David, James Chen, and Gootecks, it's no wonder that the FGC is so strong. It has powerful pillars holding it together.

To the PMBR members that I met or saw again, it's always a pleasure to interact with an online colleague in real life and play the game we make.

To JCaesar, Jolteon, Fuzzyness, and AC, for being pleasant roommates during my stay in Vegas. Worst part of these events is always saying goodbye. Hope to see you guys at another tournament soon, you're cool dudes.

To anyone I played in tournament. I may not have played up to my own standards, but either way Hyprid and Omgage you both outplayed me in our sets. Congrats on qualifying for bracket. D1, we already smoothed this over IRL, but I was only upset at myself during our set, not at you. We're cool. <3

To anyone I played in Project M. I had more fun playing PM than I did playing Melee, as is usually the case, even with the limited number of setups. Thanks especially to Meta, K9,

And finally, to the entire Smash community that contributed to EVO via donation or by attending or both. We accomplished something great here, and this is only the beginning. There's nothing we can't do when we work together toward a common goal, and we proved that through this journey. Be proud of yourselves. Keep your heads up. We did great things, and the struggle only continues from here in the post-EVO times. Get bigger, get better, but never forget where you've come from. What made you what you are today.

[break]

Unfortunately, among all of the pure amazement and enjoyment I had this weekend, there was but one stain on it. To the person(s) of a particular room who thought it would be a "fun game" to intentionally exclude me from anything occurring in that room throughout the weekend to the point where many of my friends were encouraged to avoid the subject in conversation and even straight up lie to me about it for supposedly no particular reason whatsoever. What I experienced in this scenario was the antithesis of what I have come to love about the Smash community; a welcoming, all-inclusive and non-discriminatory experience for all, culminating due to a shared love of competitive Smash. I did not appreciate this "game" of yours. I do not enjoy spending $350+ on plane tickets to attend a tournament for this kind of nonsense to occur, eating up hours of my limited time in Vegas throughout the weekend. I don't need to mention names, you know who you are. I hope it was worth it to you.

We out. See you guys at Big House 3 or APEX.
*dip*

smashmachine

Smash Lord
Competitor pass - $70. [This goes to Evo for the venue/running/business expenses, etc]
Each game - $10 extra. [This is your pot.]
696 entrants = $6,960 pot.
+1000 pot bonus, so $7690
that being said, it is barely more than one of the regular MLG Brawl tournies, but oh well
actual prize money:
1. Mango: $2865
2. Wobbles: $1751
3. Hbox: $796
4. Armada: $636
5. Dr PP/M2K: $557
7. Ice/Shroomed: $398

Yomi-no-Kuni

Smash Lord
Link:. The Germ. J666, who beat TOPH. SOCAL!

G&W: The Phenom. VGBC.GimR (I think he entered?)

Bowser: Gojira, Gimpyfish.

Mario: Myself, A Rookie, KoopaTroopa895.
sadly none of these were in bracket... i didn't look at pools, because with 700 ppl there you'll find every character represented (except maybe pichu)

baka4moé

Smash Champion
Any chance of getting doubles results/bracket/payouts as well? I'm curious to see the placings there too. Not sure who has the bracket tho =/

To help with characters, I believe omgage uses puff, and sung used samus/marth/falco in tournament (maybe more, but don't think so)

jayeldeee

Smash Journeyman
Where to begin... this tournament was nothing short of indescribable. And to think it all started with a Facebook poll...

...We out. See you guys at Big House 3 or APEX.
*dip*
Strong Bad, you sir are a true gamer.

SUNG666

Smash Ace
LA, CA (Glendale) Hook me up if ya wanna smash
Any chance of getting doubles results/bracket/payouts as well? I'm curious to see the placings there too. Not sure who has the bracket tho =/

To help with characters, I believe omgage uses puff, and sung used samus/marth/falco in tournament (maybe more, but don't think so)

Yea I used marth/samus/sheik/falco all kinda equally in tournament

Small shoutouts:
EVO was an amazing experience I had a blast. Thanks to everyone running it (evo, staff, TOs, commentators, people bringing setups...even though a lot of cubes were stolen) and workin hard to make everything happen and as well as possible. Doubles was a ton of fun as well both official and unofficial ones. Bladewise and MichaelBluFalco yall got lucky winning like ten in a row. Nice friendlies with everyone I didn't even want to eat cause I was determined to play and figure out which character I wanted to play in the future. Santa Barbara is godlike great night at that hotel room. Every smasher is just so nice <3 Cali <3 TX <3 USA <3 the world. Too many people to shoutout to but yall know that I woulda loved to hang out with all of yall. Great time and seeyall later!

PS. I beat DanteFox with my Samus in friendlies :] hohoho

Jace08

Smash Lord
just wanted to say shoutouts to darrell and taj for approaching a scarcely known midwesterner like me and immediately being cool as ****. Learning more about the samus matchup was awesome too

melee community for life

also thanks for saving the world mango

hbox armada LF was not what we needed at this tournament

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
also thanks for saving the world mango

hbox armada LF was not what we needed at this tournament

Agreed. After PP lost to wobbles I was like FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUdge. Thought Armada would take the whole thing due to mango playing a bit off on day 2. Glad mango went into beast mode day 3, we all knew he had it in him. Sadly Wobbles would have virtually no chance against Armada, as good as he is. Not sleeping on Hbox, he has a chance at beating Armada but I'm with you Jace, wasn't really looking forward to seeing the set as much as the others haha.

smashmachine

Smash Lord
Is there a link to any article or anything even semi-official (Tweet from Cannons/Mr. Wizard) confirming the $1,000 bonus?

Found this:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=507459

However, the link to the Shoryuken article with the pot bonus is deleted - meanwhile the other link (with no mention of the pot bonus) is still working/good.
here's one that mentions it:
http://www.esfiworld.com/super-smash-bros-melee-wins-evo-2k13-players-choice-donation-drive/

Iron Dragon

Smash Lord
In consideration to the crowd cheering for Wobbles and the fact that WF was also a series of exceptionally slow matches, you actually think they WOULDN'T like Armada vs Hbox?

I don't know if any of you recall or even bothered to see, but when HBox vs Armada GF happened at Apex 2012, most FGC players actually really enjoyed it because it was easy for them to see how one tiny mishap made such a difference and the incredible spacing of both of them to not be hit by the other. I recall on Justin Wong's twitter he said positive things about liking it and such.

Don't just make an assumption based on your own biases.

Revven

FrankerZ
fine, I'm a weird guy with my own weird views. I think dudes should actually fight in fighting games

It's called zoning and it exists in every fighting game ever. It's not going away. I guess actually it's a mix of zoning/turtling/camping but still, it exists in every fighting game.

Iron Dragon

Smash Lord
I think I've heard it's something about US people generally wanting offensive/big things. It works similarly to why even though the Spurs have clearly been the best team over the last 15 or so years in the NBA(consistency wise), "no one likes them" because they play a straightforward cut and dry game, with tons of really good defense. You'll see similar things when watching Armada. It's extremely evident in his set vs s2j from Apex 2012. Watch the difference in how he plays game 1 defensively vs how he plays game 2 defensively. He does the Isai thing of "don't get hit" which makes me laugh considering a large portion of this site being fans of Isai also hate Armada, even though he plays the way Isai said to play.

Anyways the point is is that the game isn't called super flash brothers melee featuring Fox, Falco, and Falcon. If you can't embrace different playstyles and characters in this game(part of what makes it so great) then maybe you should be playing a different game.

bbb

Smash Champion
Any combo of Peach, Jiggs or Samus is boring as **** in high level singles

Sedda

Smash Champion
Pretty sure Mango only played fox this whole tournament. I could be wrong though, can someone confirm this?
Along with his Sheik, Mew2king played Marth vs Armada, and also played Fox vs Hungrybox.
Mango played Mario in pools lol I saw it

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
fine, I'm a weird guy with my own weird views. I think dudes should actually fight in fighting games
The only characters that have the ability to not fight in Melee are Fox and Falco.

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
Any combo of Peach, Jiggs or Samus is boring as **** in high level singles
Lolno

In terms of Jiggs: Go see pound 4 finals
In terms of Samus, IHSB's charge F-smash and Aphelion's plays are also nice
In terms of Peach, that stitch face combo, so no

smashmachine

Smash Lord
In consideration to the crowd cheering for Wobbles and the fact that WF was also a series of exceptionally slow matches, you actually think they WOULDN'T like Armada vs Hbox?

I don't know if any of you recall or even bothered to see, but when HBox vs Armada GF happened at Apex 2012, most FGC players actually really enjoyed it because it was easy for them to see how one tiny mishap made such a difference and the incredible spacing of both of them to not be hit by the other. I recall on Justin Wong's twitter he said positive things about liking it and such.

Don't just make an assumption based on your own biases.
Justin Wong, king of SFxT timeouts, supports lame timeouts
j/k
but yeah people are overblowing it, the crowd wouldn't actually boo like they did for Injustice GFs or anything

Top Bottom