• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A "Everyone Look At Me!" The Marth Video Critique Thread.

Dart

Smash Lord
I HAVE THE ANSWER TO THE SHEIK MATCHUP WITH MARTH!

we should just erase the matchup post and put a link to the sheik matchup for fox. dead serious why even play marths matchup vs sheik. its sooooo bad.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
its really not that bad. i'd rather be marf against sheik than samus or link or doc or pikachu or a lot of other characters against sheik.

Tairseth

Smash Apprentice
Hey everyone I'm slightly new to SmashBoards. I've just recently gotten serious in melee and have been training for my first tournament (HERB3) since about November 2009. I main Marth and was looking for some pointers to improve my game. I am serious about improving my game and have analyzed a bit of my mistakes and have improved since these recordings, but I am more than willing to hear anything anyone has to offer. Im sorry about the videos' quality and distractions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jba46CHR3O0&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3vrxezhgss&feature=related

REF:sweetsmashberries

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
falcomist played hella good. game 2.4 last stock, he had shiz dead and the set won, but pressed a instead of b (and did a bair instead of upb backwards)

TheCrimsonBlur

Smash Master
Aight I guess I will contribute to this thread. :D

I'll do the first video.

:03 : Start with a safer approach. Full hop nair is OK if you space it well (straight jump up) but you lose control of your character and start going off the edge. Against most good players, you'd have died right there. Some good options for that beginning are a full hop fair to double jump double fair. You cover the top platforms right side twice and then the bottom as you land. Falcon is forced to the corner of the stage, right by the edge (which is exactly what you want).

:06 : You got yourself turned around. You panic and uair. Try to quickly turn yourself in the right direction and then make your approach, or you will be left vulnerable. A good option here is dash off edge, hop, bair then fair. Another one would be to dashdance bait Falcon's grab and then approach. Either way, you end up facing Falcon by the end of your approach.

:12 : Dash don't shield. Shielding leads to shield pressure, grabs, etc. Dash when you are in trouble. Very hard habit to break.

:14 : Know what you are doing when you are going to get up from a tech. That regrab shouldn't have happened.

:16 : Unsafe roll. You should have gotten comboed at either the beginning or end of your roll animation. If you are stuck atop a platform, do what you can to get off the platform, not stay on it.

:17 : Why are you shielding.

:28 : OK, about half of those utilts wouldn't normally happen. Good **** for getting him on the platform though. Don't get greedy and utilt spam. Follow up with aerials. Practice utilts on platforms and this will become second nature.

:30 : Amazing read. Good ****.

:32 : Cloud pissed you off lol. Thats a tough situation. Falcon has a lot of options there. I'd try to bait a jump somehow.

:35 : Why are you shielding.

:36 : Baaad roll.

:37 : Worse jump. You could have lost your jump and gotten comboed to hell from that. If you are going to jump, do it with an aerial. Not l-cancelling after the fair left you even more open.

:42 : Know your out of shield options. You can do more than just roll. Practice aerials and wavedashes out of shield.

:45 : Jump into aerials while recovering. Stop recovering so high.

1:06 : Try forward throw at early percents. You can't chainthrow Falcon. Try to learn tech animations too; gotta know the timing of the regrab after that tech.

1:08 : Punish that roll.

1:10 : Great nair read.

1:12 : Bad roll. You got turned around and you panicked.

1:22 : Space that nair.

1:25 : Dash don't shield. That roll could have easily been a dash and then you could have grabbed after the ftilt.

1:36 : Got turned around. Panicked with roll.

1:39 : Jump into aerials while recovering. Recover lower.

1:44 : Don't just throw out forward smashes.

1:50 : Dash don't roll. Have better ledge options than the standard ones. When you're on the ledge, unlike other characters, you have the advantage. Don't retreat from positions like that; try to force a gimp. A Falcon shielding like that could get punished in a top of ways (ledgehop waveland, dashdance grab; ledgehop nair pushoff, etc.)

1:53 : Be more ballsy with your edgeguarding. You're Marth.

1:55 : Why are you shielding. Bad roll after the shield.

1:56 : You have a Falcon in his shield on the ledge at high percent. Don't roll away. Figure out a way to bait a spot dodge or jump and punish (dashdance!). In this case, it looked like you could have just grabbed him.

1:58 : That wavedash forward smash was late because you rolled. Good idea, bad tech skill.

1:59 : You pop up your shield correctly but then get hasty and try to grab. Be patient in your shield and know your out of shield options.

2:01 : You just got hit with 18 percent off a gentleman. Smash or just normal DI that and punish. Fair instead of Uair.

2:02 : Simple dash attack approach. Not a bad idea actually since a lot of Falcons would Nair in that situation. But, in general, try to make your approaches a little more complex. Throw some junk in your game (dashdances, empty shorthops, etc.)

2:08 to 2:11 : I don't think I need to tell you whats wrong here.

2:15 : You got yourself turned around for no reason.

2:18 : Bad roll. Same type of platform roll I explained earlier. Mistake repeated at 2:20.

2:24 : Why are you rolling.

2:27 : You got yourself turned around at the beginning of a stock again. Then you panicked and got punished.

2:38 : VERY VERY GOOD. GOOD ****.

2:39 : Try forward throw! Or downthrow or backthrow. Uthrow is great against a lot of characters but it is limited (except around 60-90) against Falcon.

2:46 : Make that an aerial instead of a forward tilt and you got yourself a combo. Don't glue yourself to the ground.

2:57 : Eat breakfast!

3:01 : Turned around, panicked, rolled.

3:04 : Good.

3:06-3:08 : Terrible rolls.

3:11 : Don't stick yourself to the ground. Pretty much all your aerials could have hit him there but you fsmashed.

3:15 : Don't recover high, jump into aerials, etc.

3:20 : More ledge options.

3:22 : Jump into aerials.

Overall, as odd as it is to say, I'd say you could improve a lot more on your own at this point than against a human opponent. You mess up l-cancels more often than you hit them, and you haven't incorporated advanced techniques at all. Just go into your basement, turn the lights off, and get your Marth a lot faster. You have a lot of common bad habits as you can see from above. You repeat those bad habits a lot in a match, but realistically, they'd get punished to death by most average players (almost every hit your opponent made was off one of those common mistakes). Know those habits, try to remove them one by one (focus on one at a time; you can't do it all in one match).

Good ****, and good luck at HERB! Remember to use it for learning.

TheCrimsonBlur

Smash Master
u guys seen GF shiz vs falcomist? A new challenger approaches!
**** was bonkers. I hope he doesn't turn all G$ on us and use Falco almost exclusively even though everyone knows his Marth is better.

Pretty sure Falcomist has *****es and hoes all across the globe loving that Marth now. I want to see more of it.

If Falcomist won that, Florida would have exploded.
So what you are trying to say is that if Falcomist won, we wouldn't have Puff dittos in GF?

Where is the justice in this world.

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
Sweetsmashberries:

Work on your advanced techs. I noticed a lot of times you airdodged instead of wavedashing or failed to fastfall your aerials. Work on reading your opponent. You let your friend roll through you too many times.

Just get the fundamentals down solid.

Tairseth

Smash Apprentice
Thanks guys! odd as it may sound i've eliminated a few of my problems from those vids a little bit. I didnt know i shielded too much (ill reduce this and work on out of shield options) and I never really thought of just dashing to get out of a tight spot ive always used marths wavedash, but that would make alot more sense especially with falcons forward momentum (he still hits me with aerials when i do wavedash to dodge) ive been trying to work on tech chase grabs to rack up dmg. I normally use up throw but now that i think about it that would only really be effective against fast fallers(for tech chasing anyways). Speaking of fastfalling I almost never do it unless im walking off of a platform. I do agree though my marth is a bit sluggish and could be much much faster. I use my double jump way to early when recovering(Im working on this its a bad habit). I have replaced more of my rolls with wavedashes now, but i still feel as if i roll too much. On the other hand I dont punish rolls often enough (what exactly should i use? dsmash? grab?)

One question I have when you say jump into aerials what exactly do you mean?

TheCrimsonBlur

Smash Master
Thanks guys! odd as it may sound i've eliminated a few of my problems from those vids a little bit. I didnt know i shielded too much (ill reduce this and work on out of shield options) and I never really thought of just dashing to get out of a tight spot ive always used marths wavedash, but that would make alot more sense especially with falcons forward momentum (he still hits me with aerials when i do wavedash to dodge) ive been trying to work on tech chase grabs to rack up dmg. I normally use up throw but now that i think about it that would only really be effective against fast fallers(for tech chasing anyways). Speaking of fastfalling I almost never do it unless im walking off of a platform. I do agree though my marth is a bit sluggish and could be much much faster. I use my double jump way to early when recovering(Im working on this its a bad habit). I have replaced more of my rolls with wavedashes now, but i still feel as if i roll too much. On the other hand I dont punish rolls often enough (what exactly should i use? dsmash? grab?)

One question I have when you say jump into aerials what exactly do you mean?
I mean you should jump and then use an aerial during a recovery. Don't empty jump and get *****.

As far as your rolling goes, its good to replace them with wavedashes, but don't go overboard. There is usually a (healthy) period of time in a player's development where they wavedash too much, unnecessarily even, but along the way learn when to use it and when to not. Dashing, dash canceling, dashdancing, pivoting, fastfalling, etc. are all other ways you can be fast; wavedashing isn't the only one. Watch videos and pay attention to how good Marths move.

Punishing rolls? Most rolls are so slow you can punish them with almost anything. Grabbing is the easiest usually, though you can be pro and pivot fsmash.

Tairseth

Smash Apprentice
Well thanks so much for the help everyone. If you come across any videos that show specific things I should be doing Id be more than happy to watch them. (Only if you feel like it or have extra time) but I hope to make my marth faster more fluid and effective through your advice.

P. O. F.

Smash Ace
I HAVE THE ANSWER TO THE SHEIK MATCHUP WITH MARTH!

we should just erase the matchup post and put a link to the sheik matchup for fox. dead serious why even play marths matchup vs sheik. its sooooo bad.
its really not that bad. i'd rather be marf against sheik than samus or link or doc or pikachu or a lot of other characters against sheik.
Amongst the top tier characters (Fox, Falco, Sheik, Marth, Peach, Jigs)

I would DEFINITELY say Sheik VS Marth is easily 65-35..maybe 70-30.

Sheik has a much easier time getting kills and comboing effectively in the match up. All she has to do is pop you up for a fair at around 80-90% and it's a done deal. Marth needs to rely on u throw combo strings and a solid edge game that NEEDS to stay solid throughout the entire match more so than Fox or any other high tier.

I see a mistake as "****, I messed up when I had a kill...not good!" You really can't make mistakes VS Sheik at high levels. This uphill battle is much more than Fox VS Falco, Peach vs Spacies, Jigs VS Marth, or Falcon VS Spacies.

I'm not complaining about the match up but its definitely easy for Sheik. SPAWN knows this match up so well and thinks its dumb and easy and he two stocks me with ease. Reno is stupid good at it too.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
I dont think its quite that bad.

Marth has a lot of things he can do to sheik. He can edge guard her methodically, he can combo her, and he can space her out.

He can CC->grab anything she does (besides grab) in the early percents. As long as you keep that in mind, you can stay fairly safe at the beginning of your stocks and get free punishes out of it.

The thing i find hardest about sheik is the length and speed of her techs and rolls. She happens to have the longest and fastest of them, which really sucks. Sheik falls into the dthrow dtilt edge traps as well as anyone else, except she has an easier time escaping because of the vast difference in distance between DI in tech in and DI out tech in place.

I found the best way to train your marth towards perfection is to play this matchup a lot. Its hard, but it forces you to be perfect with everything.

Niko45

Smash Master
I mean, Marth has some stuff going for him against sheik. Marths have to not be phased by taking a few needle hits and thinking they need to approach. Just ledge camp if they are just needle spamming you, and her actual needle approaches are really obvious so don't run into them.

Thing is she really doesn't have an approach and you can theoretically outspace her the whole time. You can CC everything she throws at you...except for grab. Just don't get grabbed. Ever.

I mean her punish game is obviously fantastic vs Marth but its largely on Marth to give her the openings. It's 6:4 imo.

What I don't really see is any uphill battle for puff vs marth...which brings me to my next point - help me vs puff:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nap1krXBKvg&feature=channel
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IM9bEdOgvD4&feature=channel
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0d1DpYYZ7g&feature=channel
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjCq-3to--U&feature=channel

Like, I'm so bad vs puff. Help?

P. O. F.

Smash Ace
This is one of my favorite match ups. I play it all the time.

You need to not make your grabs Vs Jigs INCREDIBLY obvious. I could literally tell every time you wanted a grab. You're grabbing her wayyyyyyy too much. This jigs is obviously not good at ducking to fsmash/rest so you really caught a nice break there. This match up is all about you just out spacing her with fairs. I saw you nair a couple of times.....don't do it. Its arguably your worst move against Jigs. Use uairs, fairs, and bairs to space her while in the air and mainly keep this fight in the air unless she stops and goes for the ground approach...than you can mix it up with d tilt and grab. Once again though, you should not be grabbing as often as you would for other match ups.

when you grab Jigs really mix it up between F and D throw and try to trick your opponents DI. You can do f throw to fthrow to d throw to fsmash for a nice little mind game or just d throw to fsmash and then next time switch it up to fthrow. Mix It Up.

Don't fsmash as often as you are. Jigs is just waiting for you to do something laggy so she can bair or maybe even rest you.

When you get the kill.....DO NOT go towards the ledge and camp it. You're honestly better off doing the scrub thing and rolling when she approaches you in her invincibility frames. Why are you giving her a chance to gimp you? Remember: Jigs is gayer than you off stage/at the ledge in this match up.

When you edge guard her FH bairs are pretty good along with uairs if she tries to go above you as opposed to near the ledge. If she is coming from below the stage d tilt is incredible and most jigs will not sweetspot to the ledge before you get that out there. NEVER go closer than a tippers length away from the ledge. EVER. Play it safe when edge guarding her and really only go off stage if you are a good 95% you will hit her and be safe. Going off stage is a NO NO VS Jigs at any point really.

When recovering you want to mix it up EACH AND EVERY TIME. Sometimes go really low, sometimes don't sweet spot if shes close and hit her away, sometimes go really high and fair her away. You really need to try and read the jigs's movements as you are recovering. It's weird. I like to go really low most of the time so I can avoid Wall of pain.

This match up is really just spacing your best spacers and making her approach you. If you have any form of lead *% or stock) you should not be approaching her. Retreating fair is too good against her.

P. O. F.

Smash Ace
You consistently keep puff in the air while shes recovering and dont let her touch the ground/ledge to trap her into the kill. You bait her into where you want her to go. It's hard to explain.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
I think you should combo Puff more. He keeps DIing into your throws so heavily that you can't tip F-smash on him but you keep F-smashing anyway. You could tip Fair and maybe combo, I think.

Tee ay eye

Smash Hero
my biggest word of advice for you (Tairseth):

stop using white Marth

also

change your name to Tee ay eye-rseth

P. O. F.

Smash Ace
KirbyKaze-You only combo scrubby jigs that keep DI'ing into your attacks. Vs Jigs its kind of hard to read this but after experience you learn to see it. I literally play Jigs all the time. I think its a very easy match up. I do pretty good VS Hbox too. I MMed him at pound 4 and almost took em to game 3.

single side B into u tilt is an amazing kill set up at high percents too. Everyone always falls for it.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
KirbyKaze-You only combo scrubby jigs that keep DI'ing into your attacks. Vs Jigs its kind of hard to read this but after experience you learn to see it. I literally play Jigs all the time. I think its a very easy match up. I do pretty good VS Hbox too. I MMed him at pound 4 and almost took em to game 3.

single side B into u tilt is an amazing kill set up at high percents too. Everyone always falls for it.
I don't mean a big combo. I mean like, throw --> Fair --> maybe another Fair, a Nair, an Uair... something like that.

Even if it doesn't work, D-throw tip Fair does 1-2% less than D-throw non-tip F-smash so it's not like you're losing oodles of damage or an edgeguard setup or something. I should have specified that I was only talking about at low percent.

Niko45

Smash Master
Yea I'm just at that infant stage of the matchup where I'm like "hell yea I'll take a meaty fsmash over more damage bc I'm not sure it's there and I'm not tryna lose position on this *****"

TheCrimsonBlur

Smash Master
These 2 matches are all you need to know about the Jiggs matchup.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MaZxz1YhuA0 (I know its already been posted, but its important)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f53aeimv8I0&feature=related

Your Marth has to always be moving. Camping Puff requires quite a bit of tech skill, and is definitely tough, but its worth it. Grabs are risky so you really shouldn't search for them too much. Ftilt ****S HER UP. I mean, bad. Its your best move in the matchup. Just watch those vids 1000x and try to implement what you see in them gradually.

Top Bottom