• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A "Everyone Look At Me!" The Marth Video Critique Thread.

t-iceman

Smash Journeyman
Another set from the same afternoon against a different character/player

http://youtu.be/G1uF7HTjlBU
http://youtu.be/HQb8WgPL7UM
Chipmunk you tend to throw out a lot of moves unnecessarily that are risky such as dsmash fsmash and you jump from neutral positions way too much. You also need to work on your fox edgeguarding which is something you need to know how to do consistently. Plus be careful when your using side b off the edge as it can easily result in getting edgeguarded.

Metal Reeper

Smash Champion
I actually forget about grab, which is why I put it as my tag. To remind me that it's available and to use it more often but I still forget. My biggest issue with grabbing right now is my timing. I either short it or go long, or I get shined out of it. I'm way too scared of shine. I could care less about lasers, it's shine I don't want to get anywhere near.
You gotta get passed that paranoia if you're gonna fight space furries. Get shined on purpose so you can practice DI <3

.Chipmunk.

Smash Ace
I suppose shine just highlights the biggest problems in my game right now. I learn the most by watching videos of myself and from playing other people. I just rarely play other people. Most of what I know/do is from playing by myself so I spend a good deal of friendlies experimenting with different things instead of doing what I know works for sure, which is why I took high edge guard risks just to see what works, etc.

I know I know. Better to play as I would in a tournament setting so I get the practice in. I just decided that after uploading these videos so hopefully I can get some more footage in soon.

I'm still learning the concepts of DI as a whole. I've heard that using both sticks is good, but i've also heard that it doesn't work. Is there like a DI tutorial somewhere that isn't a video?

Metal Reeper

Smash Champion
Chipmunk you rely on Fsmash way too much.
I'm not gonna critqiue your video's because these are even older than the other matches I critiqued.
Please upload newer ones. Cause Im bored and wanna critique.

.Chipmunk.

Smash Ace
Chipmunk you rely on Fsmash way too much.
I'm not gonna critqiue your video's because these are even older than the other matches I critiqued.
Please upload newer ones. Cause Im bored and wanna critique.
I super want to cause I've been putting in hella hours into Marth to work on those things you guys have told me/other things I've noticed I need to work on. There's just no action going on right now.

Dart!

Smash Master
Good **** Dart. The one thing I would say is to stop tech chasing with Fsmash. You missed a lot of em.
Just sayin <3
i try to space tippers on their tech but i do miss a lot. practicing new options for now. i have new ways to practice that i developed yesterday!

Dart!

Smash Master
Mind sharing?
Same as practicing fox tech skill. Turn on handicap and put the damage scale to .5 and give yourself 1 handicap.
space tippered aerials and landing the fast fall simultaneously. then dtilt as you land.
from the ledge practice all of your from ledge options.
Fair regrab
Uair regrab
Shieldbreaker regrab
waveland in place at the edge
waveland through as far as possible
shfair to wavedash in one jump.
shfair to uair
fair IASA dash pivot fsmash
dtilt IASA dash dance.
forward b ledge stall.
Shake and bake with side B.
Drop off the stage with aerials and make sure you spot sweet the ledge
some other stuff ill mention later

.Chipmunk.

Smash Ace
I think he means SB as in shield breaker.
OOO...There are several methods to doing it. If one doesn't work for you, try another. Let me list the ones I know of.

Joystick tap down, jump, neutral b.
Cstick back or down, jump, neutral b.
Pivot back to foward, jump, neutral b.
Joystick back circle to half way between up and forward, neutral b.

I recommend either pivot, y, b or tap down, y, b. If you play a spacie, this should be fairly easy for you. I have trouble not hitting the A button when doing this, so I shy away from this method.

I personally find that the cstick methods are the most difficult, so I use the joystick back circle method. M2K, because of the way he holds the controller, taps down then uses x, b (He bends his right index finger over x to do it.)

Pivot is much easier than tapping down because if you miss with tapping down you are basically dead, and every single marth should be well versed in pivot grabbing so the pivot should be no problem. It's up to you whether you want to jump with up, x, or y, but pick a method and perfect it. If you need a video tutorial on any method I can do it for you, but I've personally done every single method I've listed so I know for a fact that they work.

Also, you can fsmash tipper bowser on a platform of DL in case you didn't know. This game is funky like that. (I've known this for a while but finally confirmed it worked on bowser only last night.)

Chip.

you know what to do

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386
Does anyone have any critique for my Marth? Here is a set from my most recent tournament.
You are technically very good. Idk...I really hate to say this because it is said SOOOOOOOOOOOO much but......try to....mix it up.

lol. I noticed you liked to WD OOS alot. Which is a great option but don't use it too much or smart players will actually bait it out of you.(see Dr.PP vs M2K) Another thing I'll warn you about is getting in Fsmash finisher mode. In game 1 & 2 at the end you started to sell out on Fsmash. It worked for you this set but a Missed Fsmash will probably cost you alot of damage or a stock at higher levels so keep it in mind.

Dart!

Smash Master
man i love watching mooninite videos. seriously. you should record more dude.
except, you should play a different color of marth. might i suggest blue or red?

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386
looked like you were messing around on your recoveries and weren't using platforms very well at all.
Well I was somewhat messing...it was friendly but I am trying to learn to play another Marth so I won't have to swap out in the future. I don't know what to do so I just let things flow..*shrugs*. If I am on platforms won't I get slashed off?

Dart!

Smash Master
no i mean punish him with your feet on the ground when you put him on a platform. tippered fsmash at 80 kills marth on battlefield.

Dart!

Smash Master
ah. Noted. Thanks. Anything else?
yeah, your neutral zone spacing needs work. you dash straight in trying to go balls deep on marth. Bad idea. Dash dance spacing right outside tipper fsmash so you can punish that ****ty lag.

also your fsmash edgeguard spacing was *i'm going to be blunt* terrible. just hold the ledge when he's in the bubble near the blastzone.

You look like an overall just better player than this guy so critiquing this friendly is a bit hard.

I like blue.

But sorry mang me gusta black marth. Also did you have any critiques for me LOL I'd like to know what you would've done differently in my situations.
well, to critique your first match vs the falcon. all of your edgeguarding was friendly status edgeguarding. not enough dtilt or drop off fair to stuff. also, ending combos early with fsmash instead of delaying it to either get the tip or get him offstage so he can't sweetspot the ledge with his jump.

IC's match you smashed his shield too much, not enough mix up grab to split them up. if there's a high platform throw popo up and go after nana until she's dead. Don't spam smashes only wall him out until you have control.

Top Bottom