• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A "Everyone Look At Me!" The Marth Video Critique Thread.

earla

Smash Lord
D tilts, jabs, and a SINGLE forward B are excellent character resets in this match that can stop a Fox's momentum.

what does 'character resets' mean?

cheers

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
Those moves give you frame advantage on hit. D-tilt is fast enough that mediocre spacing should be passable, but in the case of jab and side-b, it's ideal if they connect on an airborne opponent.

Bob Money

Smash Ace
I played with Tai on sat/sun alot, he's a great Marth and very fun to play with! It's really cool meeting people for the first time :)

Tee ay eye

Smash Hero
D tilts, jabs, and a SINGLE forward B are excellent character resets in this match that can stop a Fox's momentum.

what does 'character resets' mean?

cheers
it means that it can stop your opponent in their tracks, and kinda "reset" them to a non-offensive position

say a fox is running at you, and you jab them, it sorta just stops them in their tracks, and there's enough stun time for you to not get absolutely ***** assuming they aren't pro crouch cancelers.

I played with Tai on sat/sun alot, he's a great Marth and very fun to play with! It's really cool meeting people for the first time :)
<3 you too, Bobby! :)

you give like, the greatest advice ever. asking a bunch of questions to you, Lucien, and Kevin helped me reach two smash epiphanies in one day! Cali better watch their backs at GSG2! :embarrass

Dart!

Smash Master
TAI!!! stop proving mango right =_=...

keep your feet on the ground, he was just ****** your jumps all day >.< plus it should cut down on you getting combo'ed a bit i bet.

dtilt ftilt jab and grab more. more fairs, less dairs. and roll the ledge more.

i'm sure bob money will be here to bust some verbosity and delve deeper into it, but i hate watching mango win with mario :(

but i love your style though, fastest marth i've seen...or at least have seen in awhile. haven't watched many vids recently :/

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
I feel like a good way to fight Mario is to treat him like a slower Fox. Dash dance outside his SH nair/uair range. Grab and uthrow a lot. You can trap him above you fairly easily. Do retreating aerials to beat out his various approaches. If he doesn't attack, you can approach with shield. Try to bait him into doing something predictable and punish accordingly. I realize with Scorp Eh Dorp it's easier said than done. But you left yourself open way too much. At least try to play more defensively and see how that works out for you.

Niko45

Smash Master
Tai you have to zone Mario/Doc better. Don't be so aggressive with grabs and nairs that are a long shot to connect. Jab his projectile, retreat fair his air game, and dtilt his ground approaches. Mix in dash away grabs and always up throw. Even if Doc/Mario waveland to top platform, they ultimately need to get down so keep them up there, rack up the damage, try to take a double jump and force them off stage. If you are going to fthrow, you want to do it very quickly as to try to catch them DIing in, which could give you a tipper or even a dair near the ledge. Don't try to CC jabs as you risk eating a dsmash with bad DI, setting you up to be edgeguarded much more easily.

When Doc/Mario are off stage be aware that they love to sweet spot the ledge even when they don't have to. Sneak on to that ledge whenever possible for a cheap KO. On recovering they love to use their jump to gain height and throw projectiles down on the ledge area. If you can anticipate this jump by floating out at them with back air, you can stuff them before the projectiles get enough distance to harass you. I saw that you did this a couple of times, but you had more opportunities. Your edgeguards looked really freestyled, could have just been because it was friendlies or whatever, but I'm just sayin.

TL;DR Zone Mario out and then grab and up throw once he gives you more obvious openings.

Bob Money

Smash Ace
I'm pretty sure tai knows what he did wrong these matches, he wasn;t playing like this last weekend, he was playing much smarter and zoning very well vs my doc. He def made improvements toward the right direction he just needs to play it more. You guys should see how bad m2k(<3 you jason) is vs doc with marth, reset status. He says it's 50/50 lol.

Every match i had with him would go something like this: ready go...pill pill nair jab grab upsmash .pause reset..Shiek!

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
LOL m2k.
vs. mario/doc keep them at the tip of your sword in range. most marth's are like "gotta keep him in mid range and grab him" but no, just outrange Mario/Doc's attacks and be gay.

Diakonos

Smash Lord
First, you gotta threaten Doc's family. Then, if he still tries to fight you, cut off Luigi's head.

:/ works for me? *shrug*

Niko45

Smash Master
I'm pretty sure tai knows what he did wrong these matches, he wasn;t playing like this last weekend, he was playing much smarter and zoning very well vs my doc. He def made improvements toward the right direction he just needs to play it more. You guys should see how bad m2k(<3 you jason) is vs doc with marth, reset status. He says it's 50/50 lol.

Every match i had with him would go something like this: ready go...pill pill nair jab grab upsmash .pause reset..Shiek!
LMAO sounds like great matches. That's really funny though.

Tee ay eye

Smash Hero
yeah, this wasn't exactly my try-hard mode, but i definitely don't know the matchup that well, either

i figured i'd post it since i haven't had vids critiqued in months

Niko45

Smash Master
Oh I also forgot to mention you can platform camp the crap out of Doc/Mario after kills or in general to escape pressure if they get inside on you.

Edit: And I think you're not fastfalling your empty hop grab attempts, which may have been why they weren't working.

P. O. F.

Smash Ace
Girl from that 70's is hot.

I think doing random funny stuff off stage is the best part about Marth. Also, the fact that he has the most creative edge game out of everyone in the game.

Dart!

Smash Master
Tai why would u strike to FD? Strike to BF or FoD or even PS IMO. You did well, you just got grabbed at crucial moments in ur stocks. Do up throw always, unless she's too high to combo with it but not kill

Niko45

Smash Master
Tai just missed a couple of DJ follows on FD that swung momentum drastically. FD is the best after YS for fighting Sheik imo because platforms actually give sheik decent approaches on Marth and also bail her out of potential 0-deaths from forcing her to DJ.

Winston

Smash Master
Seattle, WA (slightly north of U-District)
Everyone should go check out the new PewPewU vids. They're amazing...

Particularly this one for singles (watch his nair usage) and this one for teams. I learned a lot from them, and considering how much he does that other Marth mains don't (very unique style), I bet everyone else will too :bee:
pewpewu is a great player, but what's so great about that match? And what makes it unique? Besides missing a lot of edgeguards.

the autocanceled nair spacing on shield was good though.

Niko45

Smash Master
pewpewu is a great player, but what's so great about that match? And what makes it unique? Besides missing a lot of edgeguards.

the autocanceled nair spacing on shield was good though.
Yea, spaced nairs are definitely not new or anything. That ledgehop weak reverse fair to dropzone DJ nair, however...amazing. His Marth definitely wins bonus points for style, but I need to see more of it before I'm willing to say it's as efficient and capable as IB or HBK's.

Diakonos

Smash Lord
Oh, you meant to link us to the FIRST match. Yeah that first match has tons of new stuff. Haven't seen PPU's vids before, that was pretty great.

First and last stocks were innovative and effective.

Top Bottom