• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ever wonder if Sakurai's seen this stuff?

NNID
Budget_Player
Yeah, I wonder if he'll try to put some type of hack barrier in the next game, LMAO.
They already did. Any PAL releases after a certain point have some modification that makes them completely ignore Gecko codes. AFAIK, most wii games have that now. :( Sadface.

Sakurai will go emo and cut his wrists if he finds about Brawl hacking.
Lolwin

I highly doubt he would really care at all. He'd probably muse something like "Wow, you guys are really dedicated!" and then go back to feeding his cats and being infinitely more successful than anyone in this board.
True.

highfive

Smash Lord
If Sakurai saw all this stuff, he'd pretty much go "lol" and hire some Asian thugs to personally stalk all of the mad hackers and break their fingers to stop their mad hacks from being made.

fortwaffles

Smash Ace
Sakurai, if you read this, please view it as a learning experience... i mean, you can learn what the players truly want, and make the next smash bros one of the best.

brawlshifter

Smash Lord
If you look at this, you're a stalker: NorCal
Sakurai, if you read this, please view it as a learning experience... i mean, you can learn what the players truly want, and make the next smash bros one of the best.
Ha ha, epic bump, but yeah, your right.

Someone should tell Sakurai to come here and look at this...

I would laugh so hard if someone with the user name Sakurai replied to this...

BG3

Smash Journeyman
TBH, he'd probably do the complete opposite of whatever was done to Brawl+, mainly because Brawl+ doesn't exactly "cater to the casuals" which Sakurai puts unneccesary effort into.

Dru2

Hail to the King
NNID
DruetheDruid
3DS FC
0189-9845-3398
He may like the texture hacks saying it joys him to see people "showing their artistic skill" or sometyhing to that effect. as for Brawl+ and other things to make the game more aimed toward pro gamers, not sure really. could go either way. He coud be :) or :mad:

darksamus77

Smash Champion
NNID
darksamus77
3DS FC
3282-3124-8340
He may like the texture hacks saying it joys him to see people "showing their artistic skill" or sometyhing to that effect. as for Brawl+ and other things to make the game more aimed toward pro gamers, not sure really. could go either way. He coud be :) or :mad:
He probably appreciates the creativity we have put into the game. Think about it. We took his game and made an individual version of it with stuff we want. I bet he's a little shocked we could do so much with it, but it is a feat, what we've done with Brawl. Now, does he like people modding his game? is the real question here

vectorace

Smash Cadet
all im gona say is i hope he has seen some of this stuff so that he can grow a brain and a pair so that he can step out of the boundaries that he set in brawl....

also i honestly if they would of made brawl like the project:M people are creating then teamed up with MLG (not going against them) they could of made a ****load more cash (melee still sells well dont it???)....also having different weapons for charactors like links ordon sword/shield or ikes regal sword or ettard. and for go sakes why did he make marth look more like a girl.........

SAKRAI IF U READ THIS SPEND LESS TIME ON STORY MODE, STICKERS, AND OTHER LAME ****. GIVE US COMPLEX AND TECHNICAL GAMEPLAY AND GIVE US SOME GOD**** CUSTOMIZABLE FEATURES AND FOR THE LOVE OF GOD........PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE.......IF ITS THE LAST **** THING U DO.....DON'T MAKE ANOTHER GAME LIKE BRAWL...

rant done...............for now

Fen__

Smash Ace
How could you have not realized that the last time this thread was posted in was over 4 months ago?

Roo525

Smash Ace
Sakurai? Who the heck is tha... OH right... the guy who created Brawl. I'm pretty sure he could care less, due to the fact that we bough the game, and we have the legal right to do what we want with it.

lordhelmet

Smash Master
I hope he sees the changes we've made and realize everything he did (or didn't do) screwed up Brawl so bad that a group of hackers had enough determination to rewire his whole game.

dirtboy345

Smash Ace
who even knows if this is staying here with it not being exactly on topic and bumped and everything, but he probably doesn't mind unless it leads people to hack their wii's and then pirate and so on, unfortunately he probably won't make ssb4 any different because of us

Fen__

Smash Ace
Sakurai? Who the heck is tha... OH right... the guy who created Brawl. I'm pretty sure he could care less, due to the fact that we bough the game, and we have the legal right to do what we want with it.
couldn't* care less

Also, no, buying a copy of Brawl doesn't give you legal right to do with it what you want.

Roo525

Smash Ace
couldn't* care less

Also, no, buying a copy of Brawl doesn't give you legal right to do with it what you want.
When you buy an apple, does the Farmer say you may only eat one half of that apple, or only a certain person may eat it? No. It's like saying when you buy something, the person who sells it to you says EXCATLY what your supposed to do with it.

If we want to snap the SSBB game disk in half, does Sakurai say, "No you can't do that!"?

Fen__

Smash Ace
When you buy an apple, does the Farmer say you may only eat one half of that apple, or only a certain person may eat it? No. It's like saying when you buy something, the person who sells it to you says EXCATLY what your supposed to do with it.

If we want to snap the SSBB game disk in half, does Sakurai say, "No you can't do that!"?
I really don't care about your horribly construed misunderstanding of the law; I'm just telling you the facts. You can do whatever you want to the disc pretty much, but the actual files on the disc aren't your property. When you purchase the disc, you're actually purchasing a license for a single copy of the game in its state at that point, nothing more.

DARKSHADEDX

Smash Rookie
Does it matter.. I'm sure he gets more people buying brawl... for example i bought the NTSC version after having the PAL one so I could hack more...
more money..

But if it were personal.. I think it'd be both... annoyed that someone is editting his work.. and happy because people have so much intrest in it.. and taking time into learning how things work.

also Roo... nice thinking.. whether it be legal or not XD

dirtboy345

Smash Ace
I really don't care about your horribly construed misunderstanding of the law; I'm just telling you the facts. You can do whatever you want to the disc pretty much, but the actual files on the disc aren't your property. When you purchase the disc, you're actually purchasing a license for a single copy of the game in its state at that point, nothing more.
yeah technically the files aren't "ours" but i don't think it's illegal, were not selling the files

InTrepidCognito

Smash Ace
It'd be illegal if you were commercially distributing the hacks (especially since 99.9% of them are based on copyrighted characters), but not for this. Making backups is legal. It's like saying "Yeah, you bought this song, but no, you can't edit it with external programs."

And I see your point, but the disc has not been modified past the point that you picked it up, has it? I guess with your logic, GameShark and Action Replay are illegal as well.

Fen__

Smash Ace
It'd be illegal if you were commercially distributing the hacks (especially since 99.9% of them are based on copyrighted characters), but not for this. Making backups is legal. It's like saying "Yeah, you bought this song, but no, you can't edit it with external programs."

And I see your point, but the disc has not been modified past the point that you picked it up, has it? I guess with your logic, GameShark and Action Replay are illegal as well.
I never said modification on your end was illegal, but I'd also like to point out that I've at least personally never seen actual evidence that making backups was legal (for residents of the U.S.). I think it may largely be internet rumor, but I don't really know. As far as modifying things goes, though, they are being distributed. There's a reason this forum is so out of the way from the main site. When MDL0 importing became possible and restructuring the forums was being discussed, it was made very clear that Customized Content wasn't to include any specifics on what the forum does in its name and that it stay buried at this many sublevels because it was a legal gray area. Honestly, though, I feel like if Nintendo cared enough to take legal action, they would have already done so. I feel like they've almost definitely checked out these forums before; they're easily the biggest forum for everything related to the series.

dirtboy345

Smash Ace
ok even if this is in the "gray area" of being legal or not, this really isn't that bad, if nintendo did something about this site then that would be completely ******** when there's pirating websites and everything all over

link2702

Smash Champion
i doubt sakurai would be mad/angry, more like heartbroken, but honestly one of his mistakes was trying to keep smash from having any competition what so ever, in order to do that, for one thing, he'd need to remove all scores, and all winner screens, make it so 4 oppenents are always playing at once(like wifi, but just everywhere, even in offline matches) and pretty much make it so items can not be turned off at all. this would in many ways not give folks much reason to attempt competitive play on it at all, luck would always be a factor, and you'd have no clue who'd win cuz the scores and winner screen were gone.

obviously that would tick alot of folks off, but really thats what you'd have to do if you wanted to stomp out for the most part, competitive play in smash entirely.

as far as character balance goes, he might or might not be impressed, put him against a Ice climber main, and he'd probably hvae a heartattack seeing just how broken they were.

TBH though, i think it would of been waaaaaay smarter and much better overall for nintendo IF they HAD actually looked towards the competitive scene for advice on brawl, least character wise, since brawl is the first smash that ever appeared online, its also the first one where casuals and competitive players have actually met up for the first time, many folks in the competitive scene, can't honestly tell me they havne't went into a basic brawl when bored sometimes, picked a character like snake, ddd, falco, or the IC, and used some of their crazy advanced moves, and/or cgs on folks in wifi, or just played really "gay" and campy like brawl is known for, things like these give the casuals who've jumped in there nightmares about characters they never once would of thought were that good

"oh look, he picked IC, dude, doesn't he know they suck?"

*after about 30 seconds into the match*

"WTF thtas not even fair, his Ice climbers are so cheap!"

"dude, thsi guy is hacking, he has to be, look at snake flying across the stage with his Up smash, wtf dude...wtf..."

( you guys can't tel me you've never done this one before :p ) "WTF why can't i break out of DDD's down throw ;-; he just keeps grabbing me at this wall here on shadow moses island thats not fair..."

certain things like that are probably the first things that the casuals think of when they run into competitive brawlers in bb, needless to say, for alot of em, it ruins the game for em.

if nintendo had given the competitive scene a chance with the game, they would of spotted alot of the characters problems quickly.

Dantarion

Smash Champion
There is no grey area in terms of it.

PSA's = illegal distribution of files from the game
Textures = illegal distribution of files from the game

Just because you're not selling them doesn't make it right. For example, can you distribute music because you bought it on a CD? No.

Nintendo doesn't care. If they did, all it would take is a CaD letter and everyone would take down all their ****, no contest. But we aren't hurting them, so they aren't going to do anything.

NeonTogepi

Smash Journeyman

Just because you're not selling them doesn't make it right. For example, can you distribute music because you bought it on a CD? No.

Nintendo doesn't care. If they did, all it would take is a CaD letter and everyone would take down all their ****, no contest. But we aren't hurting them, so they aren't going to do anything.
I see no moral wrong in what we're doing though it definately is illegal.

Sails

Smash Ace

IPS/UPS patches :D Plus, is the texture compression/format licensed? If so, then patches would be the way to go.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
Sakurai doesn't care about Smash in general anymore.

Also, Nintendo only wants to prevent the hackers from doing the hacking in the first place, they really don't care what you do with it when you break through. That Japanese code of honor to never give up or admit defeat by going at it mindlessly and pointlessly forever or something like that may be the cause, simply winning by saying "no" doesn't sound "honorable" to them or whatever.

BlackLightning90

Smash Journeyman
The thing is...
Sakurai ALWAYS intended Smash as a party game. That was with Smash 64 but when Melee was released people started treating it competitively. He put everything: time, effort, money into making Brawl the way he intended. But did we care? NO! We used hacks to make everything what we want instead of Sakurai's goal.
Sure maybe hacks for fun aren't that serious but changing the game's aspects into a new competitive game after all the man has done to support his fans is kind of harsh.

Wow... we must be real ********s, aren't we?

metaXzero

Smash Champion
The thing is...
Sakurai ALWAYS intended Smash as a party game. That was with Smash 64 but when Melee was released people started treating it competitively. He put everything: time, effort, money into making Brawl the way he intended. But did we care? NO! We used hacks to make everything what we want instead of Sakurai's goal.
Sure maybe hacks for fun aren't that serious but changing the game's aspects into a new competitive game after all the man has done to support his fans is kind of harsh.

Wow... we must be real ********s, aren't we?
So you excuse the fact that he generalizes competitive Smashers as a bunch of jerks who prevent everyone else from having fun with their game? That when a bunch of guys are playing Smash with all items on with no serious intent of winning, we break into their house force them to play tourney rules and demolish them? You excuse such generalizations, yet are quick to make hackers and tourney players look bad?

All Sakurai should be happy with is that we enjoyed the game he made for us. HOW we enjoy the game is our own business and doesn't need him looking down on us or trying to prevent us from enjoying the game in our own way.

Though in all trueness, Sakurai probably could care less about Brawl now.

ChibiIceClimberz

Smash Ace
NNID
ch33bdragonite
3DS FC
5370-0405-0580
Sakurai's working on Kid Icarus: Uprising as of now. He even said he's having trouble working with the 3-D stuff so it will take a while. He also said he might consider on working on the next Starfox game.

So, I doubt he really cares about Smash anymore. He kind of stopped with Kirby at first, then Smash... he might just want to work with a bunch of games that has been... dead and to revive them?

Top Bottom