• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Event 52 - PREREGISTRATION REQUIRED - $500 OOS Bonus- Kansas City, KS - Oct 18th-19th

Zantetsu

Smash Master
SSB64 Side Tourney?
I wish. I might get one going if Darkrain wouldn't mind.

Then again, this would be my 2nd Competitive "In Person" tournament and I would need help setting it up. +, it would be hard to play and manage at the same time. But I am bringing Shiek_Be_Male to the tournament and he doesn't play 64 so he may be able to run it :O

Stealth Raptor

Smash Legend
From DUCK"

DUCK" here again (Your friendly venue provider who uses Stealth's account), to deliver a wall of text on the subject of making this a 2-day event.

Okay, so I took a look at the numbers, and we've already got 70 people who have sworn to come by pre-registering! If twice that many people show up, I highly doubt both a teams tournament and a singles tournament could be done in one day. If it were done, it would be really pressured, hasted, and exhausting for the players and staff.

Garet, the other co-president of the GIG club, seems to think the only way to justify a 2-day event would be to bring back the venue fee. Honestly, though in my opinion the club doesn't really spend much money so doesn't need the money. He sees tournament events as fundraising for the club which I can understand. I however see tournaments as the purpose of the club. I love coming to tournaments so I'm totally for making this 2 days if possible. I'll see if we can get the room reserved for Oct. 19 as well.

If people really were charged $5 venue fee how many would that discourage from coming? How do other tournaments do this? Is it really customary for the hosts to take money from the gamers and keep it? The college is providing the venue plus technical assistance for free, and that's happening because our club has the seniority and connections to ask for it. It's not like we're paying a dime and need reimbursement.

I'll try to give you answers soon as I can about the possiblity of also getting Oct. 19. The pros for getting a second day are tremendous, as it would allow a lot more friendlies, money matches and sub-tourneys like SSB64. At our club's next meeting we'll discuss who's willing to come, and if the venue fee will return. Of course, I'm against a venue fee for two reasons: 1 we already are financially well-off as a club, and 2 Darkrain's crew is doing most the work for this one, not us.

I'll keep y'all posted on what's happening. Please provide constructive input. You can trust that I'll be fighting to make this the best tournament Kansas City has ever seen! -- -- DUCK"

pyroty

Smash Apprentice
Sweet! this just keeps getting better and better, theres already 70 people, and I know several people that have yet to register still, so this is almost going to HAVE to be a 2 day event, so a 2 day event is looking pretty likely, I hope anyway =D

Tink

Smash Hero
hey, if a 5$ door fee gets us 2 days, then i think most people would be down for it! these days, its almost a staple to pay a door fee. most venue cost money though <_<.

only1Z

Smash Champion
I wish. I might get one going if Darkrain wouldn't mind.

Then again, this would be my 2nd Competitive "In Person" tournament and I would need help setting it up. +, it would be hard to play and manage at the same time. But I am bringing Shiek_Be_Male to the tournament and he doesn't play 64 so he may be able to run it :O
If you can find a setup that has been empty for quite some time *or maybe hiding in a dark hole so no one has to see it* you can probably get a 64 set up going. Depending on interest even a small tourney. That's something we did for the last brawl tourney, was set up a small melee tourney and that went fine.

This could probably work vice versa for brawl as well.....although I don't think that's a very good idea.

darkrain

Smash Ace
The tournament is going to be a 2 day-event, guaranteed. The venue fee is not up to me so be prepared to pay it, it's pretty much a standard cost at any smash brothers tournament. Five dollars for this caliber of venue is nothing anyways. Bring the extra 5 bucks, you might need it or you might not, either way it is not a make or break deal.

We are approaching 80 entrants with well over a month to go. This is without a sticky and with pretty much no advertising to the coasts or anyone outside the midwest. I put up a schedule for the 2 day tournament on the first post. Pools for singles and doubles on Saturday and the qualifying brackets will be played on sunday. All of you holding out until the event went 2 days.. PreRegister now!

2-Tone

Smash Journeyman
Anyone drivin' from the Cincy area that I could hitch a ride with? I'd love ta go to this thing. I got money for gas but my ghetto-azz car won't make the trip.

Tink

Smash Hero
mangooooo said:
apperantly im going

=D

buying ticket this weekend

uhhhhhhhhh

uhhhhhhhhh

yea =D

mmmm.....ima love tearing that *** up after i heard about that **** talk at vls =)....or whatever tournemanet you won <_<. better not lose to a scrub fox =).

Wife

Smash Lord
So . . . Melee.

Definitely going to do my best to come to this. Europhoria says Canada is coming, and now maybe CA too? Sounds great. But this clearly needs to be on the main tourny listing section if its going to be national and even international.

Is the airport MCI? And if I fly in early Friday morning could I get housing for fri/sat/sunday nights? Cuz that'd be great and I def. can't afford for a hotel.

JBM falcon08

Smash Master
phat we still got 1st dibs on housing right? as far as i know its gonna be me tyser uli maybe teh echo and i'm not all sure who is coming from omaha.

darkrain

Smash Ace
MCI is the airport code, I'm providing housing and transportation for everybody flying in. That means you too wife!

Wife

Smash Lord
Awesome, awesome. Haven't seen you in a bit darkrain.

I just looked up flights and they aren't bad at all. This looks great.

How about teams? I'd love to sport a real epic team for this one. Like a Vidjo/Wife or Wife/Darkrain ticket. Anybody interested?

edit: i found some for 170 off the bat, that's not too bad.

darkrain

Smash Ace
Most of the people driving in are going to be staying with phatgamer and the ones flying or bussing in are probably staying with me.

Use www.kayak.com flights are $168 for Baltimore right now.. Fri-Mon

No Husband this time???

darkatma

Smash Hero
also guys, a short brain ****/teaser of sorts

darkatmawpon (11:42:12 PM): why don't you ever travel out of state for smash?
silentspectre62 (11:42:26 PM): cuz im lazy
darkatmawpon (11:42:30 PM): aw
silentspectre62 (11:42:34 PM): and cuz theres no tourneys
darkatmawpon (11:42:36 PM): wish you'd go to KC
silentspectre62 (11:42:45 PM): kansas city?
darkatmawpon (11:42:47 PM): yeah
darkatmawpon (11:42:52 PM): october 18 and 19
silentspectre62 (11:43:04 PM): hmmm interesting
darkatmawpon (11:43:35 PM): you should comeee
darkatmawpon (11:43:41 PM): it'd be really cool
darkatmawpon (11:43:45 PM): and team with darkrain or something
darkatmawpon (11:43:45 PM): lol
silentspectre62 (11:43:56 PM): is it a melee or brawl tourney?
darkatmawpon (11:43:58 PM): melee
silentspectre62 (11:44:01 PM): hahah i see
darkatmawpon (11:44:16 PM): kinda cool
darkatmawpon (11:44:22 PM): tink and darkrain are there
darkatmawpon (11:44:26 PM): mango just decided to come
darkatmawpon (11:44:32 PM): and apparently his teammate is gonna be forward
silentspectre62 (11:44:40 PM): interesting
darkatmawpon (11:44:44 PM): wife decided to come too
darkatmawpon (11:44:49 PM): you should totally show up :p
darkatmawpon (11:44:51 PM): that would be awesome
silentspectre62 (11:44:54 PM): maybee
darkatmawpon (11:44:58 PM): =[