• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Enemy Controller: PRiDE has returned to us, now super hot!

_Yes!_

Smash Hero
4 classes today on different campuses....suuuuuuucks xD

1 down, 3 more to go, one of which is in 20 minutes...yeayuhz....

Mrs.BlackWaltzX

Smash Journeyman
I have 3 classes tomorrow [same on Monday] starting at 10:20, and my last class ends at 2:25pm.
One class Thursday [same thing on Tuesday] at 10:20-11:35am. Then work at 3:30. Probably going to go pick Waltz up and drag him to my work.

Free on Friday-Sunday! I think.. unless I have to help paint the inside of my house with my family. Yuck. I know I'll be at Dooms Saturday though.

Turbo Ether

Smash Master
That's not Spiderman with boobs, it's his future daughter, May Parker, Spidergirl. Her story occurs in a time-frame similar to Batman Beyond. Unfortunately, Spidergirl is on the verge of cancellation, after 28 issues I believe. If American comics were handled like Japanese manga and anime, maybe this sort of thing wouldn't happen.

Massive Batman(comic) spoilers:

After a 70 year run, Bruce Wayne has been killed off, as of right now, as indicated by the artwork of Superman carrying Batman's charred corpse, that I posted earlier.

BleachigoZX

Smash Master
Mrs. Blackwalts I need the links to Goku Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei!, I'm currently in despair !!

Also who thinks Naruto got broken out of nowhere?

Turbo Ether

Smash Master
After 431 chapters, it's about time Naruto is finally shining brightly in the spotlight of his own manga.

Alex Strife

Smash Hero
That's not Spiderman with boobs, it's his future daughter, May Parker, Spidergirl. Her story occurs in a time-frame similar to Batman Beyond. Unfortunately, Spidergirl is on the verge of cancellation, after 28 issues I believe. If American comics were handled like Japanese manga and anime, maybe this sort of thing wouldn't happen.

While I share your setiments I feel that it would just be more of the same in this regard. To be honest Manga and Anime are just out of country comics and cartoons. They all have the same issues we have except we do not hear much about them. Not only that, most Anime's follow a linear story line vs an episodic nature that is most U.S cartoons.

When Gundam X was cancelled ( omg anime being cancelled im sure most havent heard of that ! ) due to budgety/ratings the series was shortened from 52 episodes to about 39. This also happened to other series such as Outlaw Star, Beserk, and HnK and fist of the blue sky. Fact is most people do not realize that Anime falls to that issue of ratings as well its just that they use the time left to wrap everything up.

Even when the series is popular the translation from Manga to Anime may create a few issues. Case in point, Sailor Moon. This manga was absolutely AMAZING and, while the show was good, the artwork for the manga was far superior and the story felt a little less draw out and had a good pacing to it. Then you think Inuyasha which had no bloody ending. At the end the series was given a "thanks but no thx so **** off and buy the manga to find out what happened". That show was cut due to budgets and wasted over 170+ episodes of fans lives. Who would want an ending to that anime being that NOTHING BLOODY HAPPENED.

So I guess my thing is that while some may thing it is better overseas its actually just more of the same. Like I say to many Anime is nothing more then cartoons from another country that has a different set of social standards ( or moires as I recall ). These standards, morals , or whatever you will like to call them can and will cause a difference in presentation. In the end, however, they are still dealing with ratings and budgets that most series in the United States deal with. The only major difference is that we do not focus on them but on the series that we see when they are ripped from their and subtitled.

Thats my two cents from a production side of it. I would type more details and examples but I am TEH LAZIES....want more info let me know and I will be glad to tell you more.

crismas

Smash Master
NNID
crismaspresents
This manga was absolutely AMAZING and, while the show was good, the artwork for the manga was far superior and the story felt a little less draw out and had a good pacing to it.

:) :) I am most grateful to read that, hehe.

Turbo Ether

Smash Master
While I share your setiments I feel that it would just be more of the same in this regard. To be honest Manga and Anime are just out of country comics and cartoons. They all have the same issues we have except we do not hear much about them. Not only that, most Anime's follow a linear story line vs an episodic nature that is most U.S cartoons.

When Gundam X was cancelled ( omg anime being cancelled im sure most havent heard of that ! ) due to budgety/ratings the series was shortened from 52 episodes to about 39. This also happened to other series such as Outlaw Star, Beserk, and HnK and fist of the blue sky. Fact is most people do not realize that Anime falls to that issue of ratings as well its just that they use the time left to wrap everything up.

Even when the series is popular the translation from Manga to Anime may create a few issues. Case in point, Sailor Moon. This manga was absolutely AMAZING and, while the show was good, the artwork for the manga was far superior and the story felt a little less draw out and had a good pacing to it. Then you think Inuyasha which had no bloody ending. At the end the series was given a "thanks but no thx so **** off and buy the manga to find out what happened". That show was cut due to budgets and wasted over 170+ episodes of fans lives. Who would want an ending to that anime being that NOTHING BLOODY HAPPENED.

So I guess my thing is that while some may thing it is better overseas its actually just more of the same. Like I say to many Anime is nothing more then cartoons from another country that has a different set of social standards ( or moires as I recall ). These standards, morals , or whatever you will like to call them can and will cause a difference in presentation. In the end, however, they are still dealing with ratings and budgets that most series in the United States deal with. The only major difference is that we do not focus on them but on the series that we see when they are ripped from their and subtitled.

Thats my two cents from a production side of it. I would type more details and examples but I am TEH LAZIES....want more info let me know and I will be glad to tell you more.
The most bothersome thing about American comics is how much potential is wasted when they are converted into children's cartoons. Seems like manga-to-anime adaptations are handled significantly better, despite similar budget issues and censorship.

Alex Strife

Smash Hero
The most bothersome thing about American comics is how much potential is wasted when they are converted into children's cartoons. Seems like manga-to-anime adaptations are handled significantly better, despite similar budget issues and censorship.

Not true necessarily. While I do agree that SOME potential is wasted...the easiest counter arguement to that is the TimmVerse ( Batman TAS, Superman TAS, JL, JLU ) where the amount of work and time to make all 4 of those series into arguably the best animated series I have ever seen the american's produce. I never met someone who did not enjoy the stories in each of those series.

Now a big example of how Manga - to - Anime adaptions that were not handled well was DBZ. The end of DBZ was supposed to be the Freiza saga but thanks to fans, money, and the studio begging, the series went on for 2 more unneeded seasons. This hurt the series greatly and pretty much caused me to personally get annoied at times. Mind you I love DBZ but lets be serious...SSJ3....and Majin Buu...come on? Once a series goes OUT of its spectrum it gets a little ridiculous ( oh and lets not forgot the IMFAMOUS DB live action movie that came out years ago...look it up it exsists ).

Also take into account that censorship can be a good thing. Go watch some of the specials on the series Freakazoid. The show was originally created by Bruce Timm ( batman tas, DCAU ) and was going to be a very different series. It was going to be dark and a little twisted. Timm left the project to work more on his Superman TAS and the series was redone and created into what it was. Now I thoughly enjoy Freakazoid as is and I dont think making it the way Timm idealized would have worked. People should realize the main thing about comics and series is that not all of it has to be serious or dark or something. Anime/cartoons can be light hearted and funny and still be amazing. What if Willy Wonka and the Cholocate Factory was made more like the Tim Burton version or what if the 1960s Batman live action show was made like Frank Millers Dark Knight or WHAT IF Naurto was made more like Ninja Scroll...Each series in its era was made a certain way for a reason...I mean its fun to think about what ifs but I dunno I feel that in the end a series is only as good as the audience it is trying to reach.

I am curious what series you think was not translated well from Comic - Cartoon Ether beacuse other than that really REALLY ****ty Avengers cartoon I dont think other comic series were done that badly TBH

Turbo Ether

Smash Master
It's not so much that I think certain shows were badly adapted. I would just like to see a show like Xmen, remaining as faithful as possible to the comics. Not possible on a kid's network. Some brilliant concepts, like The Walking Dead, Marvel Zombies and Superman: Red Son will never see a tv adaptation. Teen Titans was an enjoyable show, but a DRASTIC departure from the comics. I'm curious how a faithful adaptation would have been. Also, i'm not saying Naruto should be more adult. I think it's mature elements are handled quite fine, although i'm wondering how censored Sasuke vs Killer Bee will be in the anime.

indianunit

Smash Journeyman

Massive Batman(comic) spoilers:

After a 70 year run, Bruce Wayne has been killed off, as of right now, as indicated by the artwork of Superman carrying Batman's charred corpse, that I posted earlier.
wait a second hold on, isn't batman marvel and spiderman dc comics? don't they have like a deep rivalry toward each other? I would never imagine seeing them working with each other unless I'm wrong.

Turbo Ether

Smash Master
My Wii can't read my well-kept Brawl disc, but it can read the scracthed up, dusty copy of Wii sports I threw aside ten months ago and the Melee disc i've owned since January '02.

Alex Strife

Smash Hero
It's not so much that I think certain shows were badly adapted. I would just like to see a show like Xmen, remaining as faithful as possible to the comics. Not possible on a kid's network. Some brilliant concepts, like The Walking Dead, Marvel Zombies and Superman: Red Son will never see a tv adaptation. Teen Titans was an enjoyable show, but a DRASTIC departure from the comics. I'm curious how a faithful adaptation would have been. Also, i'm not saying Naruto should be more adult. I think it's mature elements are handled quite fine, although i'm wondering how censored Sasuke vs Killer Bee will be in the anime.

The thing is that most of those comics you mentioned are good but at the same time, lets be honest, if I showed casual people Superman: Red Son people will go WTF ... remember your coming from a hardcore perspective but casually things have to be done to make it to the masses. Why did everyone enjoy cartoons like Justice League? That is because it has something for everyone. Its a silly system but at the same time there is a reason TV is the way it is around the world vs listening to fan boys.

crismas

Smash Master
NNID
crismaspresents
Another example would be Ninja Turtles. The 1980's series was NOTHING like the comics at all. The comics were violent, bloody etc. whereas the cartoon completely catered to a younger audience, and drifted in a totally different direction. Am I complaining? No. I mean I grew up with the series, but being a fairly big tmnt fan that I am now and knowing what the original comics were like, you can see where it originally came from. Although that's not counting that the original creators kinda lost control of it at some point. But I love what they did with the new series<3 it's not exactly like the comics but it really brought back essential elements and went in a much darker direction (as much as they could without it being rated differently).

Rykoshet

Smash Champion
Singles is NOT fun, why are you gonna take a character you ENJOY playing and bring it into singles? Do you hate yourself that much? Stick to snake, do what you have to do, take the fun to doubles.

ANTi_

Smash Hero
Whens the next tournament?

i just noticed how _____ pride's picture is

PRiDE

Smash Lord
I might switch to Wolf for singles. Literally the only character in the game I enjoy playing.
*Darth voice... NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.....

Top Bottom