• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Enemies of the Crown: King Dedede Matchup Thread (SERIN IS IN CHARGE NOW NOT GATES)

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Zelda's dtilt does true combo into itself at lower-ish %s. At higher %s, it launches at a low trajectory that practically begs to lead into a utilt or usmash.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
Do you have any Frame data for that Yuna? I'm pretty sure a roll from trip would get D3 out of it. And 80% isn't really that much for D3, since you really can't KO him until, like you say, 150%, yet he can KO you at around 82% with his Utilt.
It is nevertheless a 12%-80% combo. Tell me, what combos does D3 have on Zelda? D3 is already at a disadvantage against Zelda even without this combo. Now add it into the mix.

Can you Dtilt to Utilt with this combo? Zelda's Utilt fresh is more powerful then her Fsmash or Usmash from what I can tell. (Kinda like D3.)
Yes, you can finish it with an U-tilt (unless you started it at 12% and they SDI out of it enough for the U-tilt to whiff, I guess). At 80%, it starts launching people at a low angle, making it easier to hit with u-tilt, even.

Zelda's dtilt does true combo into itself at lower-ish %s. At higher %s, it launches at a low trajectory that practically begs to lead into a utilt or usmash.
Exactly. And it's especially evil against D3. I had my friend try to roll, mash, desperately trying everything to get out of it. Didn't work.

Villi

Smash Lord
Dtilt doesn't start locking DDD until like 60%! What's this 0-80% tilt lock I'm just now hearing about? lol All DDD needs to do is hold his shield button, and it will come at the soonest possible frame between Zelda's dtilts. Shield, shield grab. It's also very easy to DI out of at low percents.

1. Dtilt will not cause enough hitstun for DDD not to be able to shield until ~60%.

2. Dtilt decays from dtilt lock -- so unless you refresh it, a completely decayed dtilt will not knock DDD into the air until 170%.

3. No matter what percent you start it at, it is possible to DI out of it. You can still down smash before DDD escapes tho.

4. Dtilt randomly trips no matter what the percent and it is not possible for them to roll before you can dtilt them again.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
Dtilt doesn't start locking DDD until like 60%! What's this 0-80% tilt lock I'm just now hearing about? lol All DDD needs to do is hold his shield button, and it will come at the soonest possible frame between Zelda's dtilts.
No it won't. We held shield. It only works at lower %s. Unless we did something terribly wrong. I'll doubt-check. But both me and my friend tried holding shield. It only works at the lower (>20%) percentages.

2. Dtilt decays from dtilt lock -- so unless you refresh it, a completely decayed dtilt will not knock DDD into the air until 170%.
Now I know you're lying. I walk around and blatantly D-tilt lock D3 into the 80%'s, at which point he launched... right after I've D-tilted him a good 10 or so times in a row!

3. No matter what percent you start it at, it is possible to DI out of it. You can still down smash before DDD escapes tho.
You move very little to the sides if you try to DI out of it. She can keep on going for a while with a guaranteed Dsmash. If she's close enough at the start of it, it'll end only once he gets launched.

4. Dtilt randomly trips no matter what the percent and it is not possible for them to roll before you can dtilt them again.
This I can agree with.

Either I played a glitched copy of Brawl or they actually changed something for the PAL version. That or you're spewing bovine manure. Someone with NTSC check out whose story checks out, mine or Villi's.

Villi

Smash Lord
I'm going to retest, but you're definitely not doing this in training mode right?

Edit: I'm still getting the same results. The real number where he gets knocked up if you start tilting him from 0% non-stop is 163%. So, yah... if someone else can verify.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
I'm going to retest, but you're definitely not doing this in training mode right?
No, we do this in actual matches (he mains D3).

Edit: I'm still getting the same results. The real number where he gets knocked up if you start tilting him from 0% non-stop is 163%. So, yah... if someone else can verify.
Funny. Whenever I do it, D3 gets knocked up around 80%-90%, at which point the lock has to stop.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Regional differences would be incredibly strange, since we are capable of playing against each other over Wifi.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
I'll test it out the next time I get my hands on a Wii, which might be a while since I'm kinda busy at the moment. But either Villi is talking out of his ***, I am or it's an actual regional difference of some sort.

Brinzy

Godfather of the Crimean Mafia
NNID
Brinzy
Probably useless info, but yeah, under various circumstances, he has shielded mine at lower %s... talking 20% - 50% here.

bschung

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2981-6884-5065
So I did a little testing, DDD holding shield after the first d-tilt, at many different percents... I can't seem to get the d-tilt to lock without DDD's shield coming up after the first one or two d-tilts.

Is there some very specific timing to the d-tilts or something? If not, it seems like after the first d-tilt you might be able to get a second one, but i haven't been able to get any more than that.

Also, a completely stale d-tilt won't pop DDD up till the 160%'s. A completely fresh one pops him up ~80%.

bschung

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2981-6884-5065
OK, that's what I would've figured. So yeah it doesn't work... DDD's shield comes out.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
I'll re-test things the next time I get my hands on Brawl. Probably sometime next week.

I locked him in a real match. He tried everything, including shield. Heck, I even tested it out myself with someone holding shield the entire time. Maybe we just did it wrong or something weird was going on. I'll test things out to be sure.

bschung

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2981-6884-5065
Specifically at that percent (~60), doing fresh d-tilts will work, but he can easily escape with DI. Shouldn't eat more than a few d-tilts, and the downsmash that you mentioned.

At the same percent (~60), doing decayed d-tilts, DDD can shield very easily.

Given that we were first talking about a 0-80 of straight d-tilts, neither of these are terrible at all. If your d-tilt is fresh it's a small and good amount of free damage and all, but unless i'm missing something it just seems like it alone shouldn't swing things too far into Zelda's favor.

Villi

Smash Lord
Given that we were first talking about a 0-80 of straight d-tilts, neither of these are terrible at all. If your d-tilt is fresh it's a small and good amount of free damage and all, but unless i'm missing something it just seems like it alone shouldn't swing things too far into Zelda's favor.
Agreed... It's really just something to do if you know when you can do it. Frankly, I think Zelda vs. DDD is a boring match and I either avoid it or do poorly because I don't want to sit back spamming Din's all day. There's very little Zelda can do against DDD's shield.

Gates

Banned via Warnings
Does anyone have any other general information regarding the Zelda or Shiek matchups? We've kind of gotten sidetracked with all this discussion of the dtilt lock.

Villi, your sig is just...words escape me lol

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
Good news everyone, I'll be Brawling tomorrow.

Specifically at that percent (~60), doing fresh d-tilts will work, but he can easily escape with DI. Shouldn't eat more than a few d-tilts, and the downsmash that you mentioned.

At the same percent (~60), doing decayed d-tilts, DDD can shield very easily.

I never said that. I said that if we were to add this into the calculation, it should swing the match-up even more in Zelda's favor. It's already in her favor. Add a 12%-80% guaranteed combo (if it is indeed a guaranteed combo) and it'll swing even more.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
I don't think it works, unless it's possible I'm doing it too fast.

Gates

Banned via Warnings
Well, regardless of whether this works and how well, we need to move on in our discussion. This seems like more of an issue for the Zelda boards to handle.
PEACH DISCUSSION GO!
ZOMG, Peach is so hot. I wanna drill her like Gurren Lagann.

Praxis

Smash Hero
BRoomer
Peach > Dedede.

Nah, j/k. I'd actually say this is neutral or 55:45 Peach's favor.

Peach can dair > dair > dair > uair > utilt Dedede at 0%, it's pretty ugly, though escapable with proper SDI- but she can still DI chase and land an nasty 50% combo without a problem.

Don't get dair'd at low %.

Dedede can waddle-dee camp her to prevent floating dair approaches, and his utilt is scary if she floats too low. Peach doesn't have to float the whole game, or float at all, but fear of Dedede's chain grabs will usually cause most Peach players to abuse float too much and predictably. On the flip side, that float means Dedede mains cannot rely on CG's because Peach can avoid getting grabbed, and she punishes spotdodges HORRIBLY thanks to her ability to 50% dair combo you.

Don't spotdodge at all.

Peach'll **** the crap out of Dedede, but her biggest problem will be killing him, even at 150-200%. She can't get in with any of her kill moves (usmash, fair) if the Dedede uses bair defensively. But she can get him to 100% really, really fast.

I need a bit more experience with the matchup, I think Peach's best solution might be to keep ftilt fresh and use that to kill at high percentages through bair walls. Or, just don't try to kill and let it happen- she builds damage fast enough.

The Dededes I fight are Eggz, Emo$, and ZeroStar. I used to have a bit of experience with it, but I haven't had the opportunity to play them in around two months, so I'm rusty on the matchup.

RATED

Smash Lord
I got to thank this forum! I have a Money match vs a peach player tomorrow with my ddd. this is what I needed! thanks for the tips Praxis

Foursaken

Smash Apprentice
This is the match up I've been waiting to analyze for the longest time. My entire defensive play style that I use on just about every character now evolved around me trying to beat my friends Peach.

Most Peach players will feel the need to poke around using their float, and like Praxis said, down air you to hell and back into an up air, up tilt at low percents. My solution to this is perfectly spaced forward airs. If she's floating at you, just jump back with her. Fighting peach is similar to fighting melee Marth in the sense that there is a bubble surrounding Peach that you don't want to enter if your playing on the ground. Back airs work well, and used defensively stuff just about everyone one of her moves. Personally, I save my back airs for edge guarding solely, but on some characters I need to abuse my priority to break one of their moves. Fortunately for us, Peach isn't one of those characters I find myself using them on for the purpose of beating one of her hit boxes out.

A good Peach player gets grabbed rarely, as most of the time she's aerial, only dropping to the ground when it's time to die. When you enter the 130's, most Peaches will start to FF forward airs at you in an attempt to kill. If you don't perfect shield the hit, you are usually not open for a free grab, as Peach's neutral A combo comes out pretty quickly and will beat out your attempt. Sadly, getting the grab is crucial as it is one of my favorite and main damage dealers in this match. Most chain grabs to the edge mean at least 20% guaranteed, and you need to put on that damage and kill her asap. Why asap? Well why not, you've got more matches ahead/better things to be doing.

From my experience, Peach's main kill moves are the Fair, perfectly tipped Up smash which kills in the early 100's, I think below 120, and the bomb/stitch face. Remember how you love using your side - B in hopes of getting that lucky Gordo kill? The feeling of satisfaction you get from that is unimaginable. Well, maybe I'm over exaggerating it just a tad, but the point of the story is, Peach has **** to throw back at you as well. Stitch faces do a good deal of damage, and travel fairly fast and can be glide tossed into. It's going to hurt if you get hit. Same applies to the bomb. I've never had a bomb glide tossed at me, but **** that would really suck now that I think about it. Pay attention to the faces on the turnips if you can, knowing what she has at her disposal can pay off.

As with most characters, you **** Peach off the stage simply put. Back air her as much as you please. You might want to lay off if she's below you though, I've found her Up B going through some of my attacks on various occasions. And don't just be cautious about the Up B, she can use any aerial while in float mode. Edge guarding peach is tricky. She can get that edge when she needs to, as well as bob and weave your attacks, so be careful.

In my opinion, this match up is 55:45 Peach's favor. She's just got combo potential at the wazoo on you during the early percents, and if it wasn't hard for her to kill you as most of her kill moves are telegraphed in advance, this match would be significantly harder. The importance of spacing in this match is of top priority.

Don't get hit.

Edit @ Gates:

Wow, I just realized I have multiple summaries on the first page. Woo hoo! But that's not what the edits for. I appreciate you putting up mine, but in contrast, I think it would be a good idea to put up a summary from an educated user of X character as well, that way they know what D3 users should be using, as well as X character.

Knowing is half the battle. /GIJOE!!!

Praxis

Smash Hero
BRoomer
Foursaken- I may be mistaken, as I haven't had the opportunity to fight a Dedede since I've been told this, but I've been told recently that Peach's two-frame jab comes out fast enough to trade hits with Dedede's grab on his CG. You still get grabbed, but Dedede gets damage too and Peach's moves get refreshed...

In my opinion, this match up is 55:45 Peach's favor. She's just got combo potential at the wazoo on you during the early percents, and if it wasn't hard for her to kill you as most of her kill moves are telegraphed in advance, this match would be significantly harder. The importance of spacing in this match is of top priority.
I'd agree.

Fogo

Smash Shinigami
Foursaken- I may be mistaken, as I haven't had the opportunity to fight a Dedede since I've been told this, but I've been told recently that Peach's two-frame jab comes out fast enough to trade hits with Dedede's grab on his CG. You still get grabbed, but Dedede gets damage too and Peach's moves get refreshed...
It doesnt, I tested that a while ago, you can perfect shield it or just CG correctly and it won't connect.

Gates

Banned via Warnings
Wow, I just realized I have multiple summaries on the first page. Woo hoo! But that's not what the edits for. I appreciate you putting up mine, but in contrast, I think it would be a good idea to put up a summary from an educated user of X character as well, that way they know what D3 users should be using, as well as X character.
I PM'd my response to you.

So what does everyone think of Peach's bair trap? How much of a threat is it? From what I've seen from the thread on it, it seems too situational for many Peach's to use and we can always tech the fair at the start or DI out of it.

T3h Albino

Smash Master
lol i cp Castle Seige ;3

Anyway I play L33T alot *wifi -_-* and what helps me against him is alot of inhale and offstage bairs. Peachies have a tendency to be very agressive and you need to just anticipate it and play a good defensive game. SG her if her spacing is off and if you're not in room for an SG just ftilt ^_^. Like i said when she's offstage hit her with a barrage of bairs *she really cant deal with it unless you're under her <_<*.

Well thats my 2cents ;D

Praxis

Smash Hero
BRoomer
I PM'd my response to you.

So what does everyone think of Peach's bair trap? How much of a threat is it? From what I've seen from the thread on it, it seems too situational for many Peach's to use and we can always tech the fair at the start or DI out of it.
Nobody's gotten it down effectively enough to use it consistently yet. Pretty sure nobody has actually used it in a real match yet- but it was just discovered. Give it time.

RATED

Smash Lord
hi people I had the money match against a excellent peach mainer from Puerto Rico "Excel zero" and my DDD I lost but they were close matches and I understood the matchup just when he jump run from him and if u can throw a very spaced bair and u can hit him with a fair when he use his fair if u space urs excellently, edgeguard is excellent in this matchup use ur dtilt if he use his Forward B to get in the edge , if he jumps to get back use ur up tilt if he enter to the stage floating shieldgrab if u are sure that u will grab peach or stay away from peach there , if she enters jumping that's obvious a uptilt or running and bair, turnips it don't affect that much ddd game and try no to get in the range of Peach's fair.

when the vids get uploaded if u can I can get the vids to here? just to help , the vid is from today december 20

EdreesesPieces

Smash Bros Before Hos
BRoomer
NNID
EdreesesPieces
I think its even. waddle dee camping ddd's are hard to approach and can't be killed til 200% BUT peach has alot of combos....its even. there is no way this is in peach's favor.

Dark.Pch

Smash Legend
NNID
Dark.Pch
3DS FC
5413-0118-3799
This match up is even. Here is Info on what Peach has to do against DDD.

DDD Can chain grab Peach at any percent. Peach and Marth are the easiest characters for DDD to chaingrab. If DDD Does it right, your not getting out. Only way you are breaking free is if DDD messes up on it.

This fight is all about spacing. Space your moves as much as you can. His Range when he spaces can be a pain. If you miss space just for a sec, your gonna get grabbed. Space your moves and pressure his shield as much as possible. You can pressure him better than he can do you.

I dont care how big he is or his speed. DDD is not the character you wanna rush. Cause his grabs are insane. So you mess up once, even through jabs, your gonna get grabbed.

This can lead to a campfest so if you lose your cool easy in fights, your in trouble. Also due to the fact that he does not die so easy. So if your gonna go Fair happy, expect him to live no matter how many times you get him off the stage.

What you wanna do is just rack up damage. Then once he is at a good %, then get some kill moves off him. just do basic combos if you can get them in (yes now I recommend you go combo happy on him) to get some damage off. Since Nair cant really kill DDD that well, but had decent power, use it out the shield alot, or in general if you can. Get some jabs, Dairs, Nairs and grabs in there to start off when he is below 100% Just be quick and get him with those hits, and some turnips. Save your B/U/Nair for after or close to 100%. Also if you can get a pillar off him then go for it. also helps rack up damage and eats the shield (BUT SPACE IT CAUSE HE CAN GRAB YOU IF YOU SCREW IT UP)

When you grab him, dont throw him right away. Kick him a few good times then toss him. He is not gonna die so why not rack up some damage while he is in your grip. For throw options at mid % or higher, just throw him Up. Why? Cause for one thing, Fthrow won't kill him and he will also DI it so he will be at a point where turnips wont hit him, or you for that matter. Now if you throw him up, he is easier to hit with turnips cause he is above field range and you can hit him with turnips easy. And he is not all that fast while airborn. Its kinda slow. Your not gonna kill him off of throws so keep him at a range where you can attack him and get a finisher off. But you can sneak Fthrows in as well and it can screw up thier DI. And will get launched foward in stead of going high up off of the fthrow. And from there it wont be hard to snipe him with turnips or a finisher.

If there are waddledees while in your range, get rid of them. To leave them around the stage, you will regret it.

Don't be in the air too much. Cause it can be clearly seen what you are gonna do. And DDD will just be rolling away. Though making it hard to hit him, no matter how big he is. And you won't be getting anywhere. Mix both your air and ground game. (I recommend you get your ground game on point if you don't have a good one. or your gonna have some trouble. You cant always be in the air)

Get your grabs in there. you can do the most and the easiest damage off of him off your grabs. Mix them up. with your dash attacks. Actually, I limit my dash attacks here. Don't use them so much here.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now a review from both sides:

Peach Attacking Dedede:
It's full of spamming turnips and well played Dairs and Fairs. It's always dangerous for peach to approach from the air because if your around 80%, an Up-Tilt from Dedede will kill peach, So I would suggest never trying to approach Dedede from directly above his head; However staying in the air with peach is always a good thing, fairing at Dedede from a decent range stops him from shield grabbing Peach. Remember, if peach is grabbed shes taking about 20-30%plus a possible tech chase off-stage to dying.

Dedede Attacking Peach:
Dedede relies heavy on his grab game, this is true and everybody knows and understands this, however Dedede also has his Bair and Up-Tilt which will make the match up much harder then any Peach would want it to be. I believe Dedede's Bair beats everything peach has besides her fair, but Dedede's Bair is much quicker then Peach's fair. A well placed Up-Tilt can end a Peach at 80% which is pretty good considering this is brawl and everybody lives long.

Pretty much its a tough match for Peach but I would actually think of it as an even match up considering Dedede's grab game is important and Peach is one of the ( If not ) hardest characters to grab, not to mention her overall movement can be too much for Dedede. I really think the only way to fight Dedede with Peach is to use lag canceled fairs into slaps and spamming turnips.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Peach can Fair to jab him. If you space it right, DDD cant shield grab you. I am the type of Peach that spaces like hell, and when I do it right, no matter what, DDD can't grab me after I Fair, Unless Dedede perfect shields the fair.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is three tournament matches where I fought the best DDD in N.Y.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vReVttwRA-U&fmt=18

Now after this failed attempted I decided to go aggressive on him. cause my defensive style was not gonna work on him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJqOcR7VL2k&fmt=18

Then due the the stage he picked I went back to defensive.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5KXuK641O0&feature=channel_&fmt=18

And I don't like playing agressive. But when you balance both out you can freely switch and it helps you in matches. So Peach that can play both offensive and defensive and balance it out, can make it really hard for DDD.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
I just want to make it known that there's no regional difference in how Zelda' D-tilt works. I must be remembering things wrong on when D-tilt started launching my opponents when it was fully staled.

I also told two different people to help me test it by shielding after I'd started D-tilting. They must've done it wrong or something. The re-test showed my previous "test subjects" to be incompetent.

Top Bottom