• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dtilt, why would you use it?

ADHD

Smash Hero
This move seems like its alot of suckage, it has okay range... but its laggy. If I recall its a shield poke? When would you use this, any set-ups?

Mith_

Smash Champion
Sets up for a CG, can hit people on the ledge. Sends them upward, its up to you to decide what to do after that. It is rarely used in combat.

It kills Kirby at 200% lol.

Denzi

Smash Master
Dtilt -> CG = inescapable.

Suprise the opponent.

Shield poke.

All three!?!?!?

Other than those, there's nothing else i can think of.

Vlade

Social Outcast
Well the range is deceptive, and if I can recall it has slightly more range than dsmash. Certainly not a move to be used often but good for keeping things different.

I use Dtilt when I happen to remember I even have that attack choice or I whenever I mess up my down-angled Ftilt, so it does a Dtilt instead.

B0mbe1c

Smash Lord
I Jab (cancel) > Dtilt occasionally

It is a very situational move, but I like where it puts the opponent after it hits.
This is about it.
But Dsmash goes both ways, so it is better, plus it sends them semi-down. :grin:

Fluke

Smash Journeyman
I really miss B-mon, he was such a cool guy :(
Yeah where'd he go?

[insert subtle notes for mod to pin my guide, and notify him to pin my enouchout's guide. We have been waiting for a mod to figure out to do that himself....(enouchout's has more priority)]

On topic.
I personally, rarely use this move, I find uptilt has nearly as good a range as it (being small), and much better to string to follow up with an aerial.

Dtilt popping them forward usually allows for one real aerial.....FAIR. Shine isn't worth it
(Yeah I like putting the shine in my post whenever possible)

thexsunrosered

Smash Lord
i've tested, on a good amount of characters, dtilt > sh dair near the edge of final destination (any stage really >.>) and its almost always a guarenteed spike before 23%

superglucose

Smash Apprentice
The only time I've used it is when I remember that I have one. I think my opponent was around 180 and it KOd him, as it was as fresh as it could possibly be.

Other than that, Falco has such amazing f and u tilts, I forget about the dtilt.

§witch

Smash Lord
Alright, to clear up some misconceptions:
A. Dtilt is not a sheild poke/safe on sheild.
B. It's doesn't set up perfectly for a spike.
C. It does not lead into a grab.

It's a decent mix-up, but not a very good move.

XxBlackxX

Smash Ace
Alright, to clear up some misconceptions:
A. Dtilt is not a sheild poke/safe on sheild.
B. It's doesn't set up perfectly for a spike.
C. It does not lead into a grab.

It's a decent mix-up, but not a very good move.
yea this is pretty much it.
it can lead into dairs or grabs if your opponent DI's incorrectly, or maybe at lower percents (?) but it doesn't guarantee a "combo".

Denzi

Smash Master
it can lead into dairs or grabs if your opponent DI's incorrectly, or maybe at lower percents (?) but it doesn't guarantee a "combo".
Like pretty much any other move in this game :laugh:

But yeah, it's summed up rather well by §witch.

donferd_donster

Smash Cadet
I use the D-tilt to set up combos. D-tilt>F-air or D-tilt>N-air then to a drill kick or F-air again. Its really a move that is shunned upon. Its a great combo setter upper lol.

gunterrsmash01

Smash Champion
D-tilt is a situational move. and the situations to use it is

1. your opponent is shielding, there shield is small, and your too far away to grab them. dtilt
2. you can laserlock them on luigis mansion following a dtilt (theres a thread for this)

Fluke

Smash Journeyman
Also works well when you're on the ledge and want to hit someone on it (or about to grab it), due to it's low hitbox.

8AngeL8

Smash Lord
Didn't read the whole thread. The only time I use it is first hit of jab into a crouch canceled Dtilt in order to juggle them.

Top Bottom