• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

DSO Biweeklies @ Drexel (Philadelphia, PA) Back in Business

Inui

Banned via Warnings
However, MK is neither banned nor not-banned by the SBR, because neither side had the 2/3 vote to reach the point.

Achtung! This is completely wrong! The 2/3 majority was only required for your side. The SBR has officially decided that MK is not banned. A 2/3 majority is required to change the status quo, which you didn't get. You lost.

I was under the impression that the MK rules were "innocent until proven guilty" ie playable until banned.

Your tournament may be Philly's main source for brawl, but PA as a state is a lot bigger than Philly. Assuming the MK debate stays in limbo over the course of the ranking period, xzax deserves his ability as a MK main to be ranked against Scranton and Pittsburgh's players.

In my opinion, the SBR banning MK is a pretty bad idea. As of now, most people don't have qualms about going to tournaments that allow MK. I think that if MK gets banned there will be a lot of people who won't go to MK-banned tournaments. It would segregate the brawl community.

Anyway, thats how I view this issue. If the panel decided it that is how it is going to be, but I still don't think it is fair to rank xzax from MK banned tournaments.

Music to my ears, Herr Pakman.

you have the worst rules ever
qft

KayLo!

Smarter than your average wabbit.
3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
Pakman is the smartest person posting in this thread atm. And, strangely, Inui. o.O

_umbra_

Smash Champion
My opinion on mk ban tournaments hasn't changed. I see nothing wrong with using their results when ranking those who don't play mk, but it's unfair to do so for mk players. By telling them "if you don't like it don't come," all you're doing is lowering turnout and creating divisions in the community and PA as a whole.

The Phazon Assassin

Smash Champion
My opinion on mk ban tournaments hasn't changed. I see nothing wrong with using their results when ranking those who don't play mk, but it's unfair to do so for mk players. By telling them "if you don't like it don't come," all you're doing is lowering turnout and creating divisions in the community and PA as a whole.
Thank you.

Now, let's all enjoy a nice warm cup of STFU.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
I'm just completely surprised by the fact that the whole panel together voted that it wouldn't count, we we're all fine with it, now a month later (before we've even used the current panel rules for a single rankings) people want it changed. It makes no sense, and going back on previously voted issues (especially before they are even used once) invalidates any need for voting or deciding in the first place.

I've been telling people for months I was going to ban MK at this. I guess everyone is just surprised that I actually went through with it -_-

Scar

#HarveyDent
you should just host melee biweeklies

i'm all for banning MK at local tournies, i think he is an unfair character and rob and olimar mains should have a fair chance at winning first prize instead of having cheap 12 year olds play metaknight and trying to win

Vex Kasrani

Smash Master
I'm just completely surprised by the fact that the whole panel together voted that it wouldn't count, we we're all fine with it, now a month later (before we've even used the current panel rules for a single rankings) people want it changed. It makes no sense, and going back on previously voted issues (especially before they are even used once) invalidates any need for voting or deciding in the first place.

I've been telling people for months I was going to ban MK at this. I guess everyone is just surprised that I actually went through with it -_-
Or the fact I really didn't care much and Umbra was still completely against it. Obviousily we're both showing we're against it now. Its not THAT big of a deal to take a revote on it unless you have something against Xzax honestly, because thats how I feel your coming off as, to help you be ranked above him. This is just what I'm getting from your posts. I'll regret posting my honest opinion here later with you Chibo but whatever.

i'm all for banning MK at local tournies, i think he is an unfair character and rob and olimar mains should have a fair chance at winning first prize instead of having cheap 12 year olds play metaknight and trying to win
I hope your joking, Olimar is FAR cheaper then Meta Knight, Meta Knight has an actual learning curve unlike Olimar for the most part.

I don't think Xzax cares THAT much that Meta Knight is banned as much as he just wants to enter to have fun like he would with Meta Knight regardless, and him not being allowed to use his main makes it gay if he just wants to have fun with secondary's but is still affected in rankings by his placement.

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447

As far as I saw, most people wanted you to not ban MK if the SBR didn't officially ban him. No matter our personal opinions on the issue, the fact is that if MK is not SBR banned, banning him in PA (since realistically, your tournies basically make up PA -- or at least the Philly area -- atm....) is only going to hurt our region.

But going through with it is your prerogative. They're your tournaments, after all.

I can't comment on the other thingy because I didn't see the panel, but, uh, maybe people changed their minds? I dunno.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
I guess we can get the panel to rediscuss it, but I'm honestly not taking the stance I am in spite of Xzax. I was questionable about it as well during the panel discussion. The reason I've taken the stance I have now is mainly because we talked as a panel, specifically brought up MK ban tournies, came up with a decision, and now before even the next rankings period (or philly tournament for the matter), people all of a sudden want to change the rules. People can't just decide to change the rules whenever (especially when the past rules that we're decided on haven't even been used yet) as that invalidates the whole purpose of coming up with rules for how to do rankings in the first place.

I think it's safe to say though that we can't have it not count AT ALL. Lesser weight, fine, but if Xzax was to enter with his 2nd like Pit or Snake and get last, we can't just 100% throw out the fact that he got last, which in a sense would hurt him somewhat. Him not entering in the first place would make him better off. It's like a gamble in a way similar to the SATs. If you answer a question right, you get a point. If you answer a question wrong, you lose .25 points, if you don't answer at all though your score is unchanged.

Furthermore, it's more complicated than it sounds. If we allow for it to be rankable with a change in "importance" of the tourney sets that Xzax is a part of at a MK ban tourney, do we:
-Give more credit for him beating peoples mains with his secondaries? (Remember character matchups)
-Give him less bad credit for loosing to someone's main with his secondary?
-Give someone less credit for beating Xzax's secondary?
-Give someone more bad credit for loosing to Xzax's secondary?

This effects a lot more than just Xzax (or the MK player) here. We also have to consider in instances of people who dual main, or have multiple characters they already play in tourney, like if Vex were to CP with DDD or GaW. It's confusing really, which is why originally we just had all tourney sets matter. Only slight change due to matchup ratios (since they can't be controlled as in who u face in tourney, but do not apply to MMs since you willingly accept it).

So if we decide to allow this somewhat, we need set out everything before hand. And it has to be set out because of the problems we've had in past seasons with trying to rank people, and the bs some people try to pull in tourneys saying they did bad because they were tired or just randomly played bad that match. Rankings are based on how you do in tournament, so it must be an accurate representation of that.

As far as I saw, most people wanted you to not ban MK if the SBR didn't officially ban him. No matter our personal opinions on the issue, the fact is that if MK is not SBR banned, banning him in PA (since realistically, your tournies basically make up PA -- or at least the Philly area -- atm....) is only going to hurt our region.
I've already disproved it hurting our region many times. Lets say at a tournament like 15% of people main MK. Most people on average play like what, 4 tourney sets? So the chance of someone on average coming across a MK in tourney is still only like 2 or so, most likely 1 though. If you are saying that we get weaker as a state because each PA player on average loses the possibility of playing a single tourney set versus a MK every other week, then that's ridiculous, something is wrong with those players. You can get far more experience versus the character with some friendlies before or after the tourney, or in the 2 weeks between each biweekly. If you want "something on the line," then do a money match or a serious set. Not to mention all of the MK allowed tournies in the area.

Vex Kasrani

Smash Master
I guess we can get the panel to rediscuss it, but I'm honestly not taking the stance I am in spite of Xzax. I was questionable about it as well during the panel discussion. The reason I've taken the stance I have now is mainly because we talked as a panel, specifically brought up MK ban tournies, came up with a decision, and now before even the next rankings period (or philly tournament for the matter), people all of a sudden want to change the rules. People can't just decide to change the rules whenever (especially when the past rules that we're decided on haven't even been used yet) as that invalidates the whole purpose of coming up with rules for how to do rankings in the first place.

I think it's safe to say though that we can't have it not count AT ALL. Lesser weight, fine, but if Xzax was to enter with his 2nd like Pit or Snake and get last, we can't just 100% throw out the fact that he got last, which in a sense would hurt him somewhat. Him not entering in the first place would make him better off. It's like a gamble in a way similar to the SATs. If you answer a question right, you get a point. If you answer a question wrong, you lose .25 points, if you don't answer at all though your score is unchanged.

Furthermore, it's more complicated than it sounds. If we allow for it to be rankable with a change in "importance" of the tourney sets that Xzax is a part of at a MK ban tourney, do we:
-Give more credit for him beating peoples mains with his secondaries? (Remember character matchups)
-Give him less bad credit for loosing to someone's main with his secondary?
-Give someone less credit for beating Xzax's secondary?
-Give someone more bad credit for loosing to Xzax's secondary?

This effects a lot more than just Xzax here. We also have to consider in instances of people who dual main, or have multiple characters they already play in tourney, like if Vex were to CP with DDD or GaW. It's confusing really, which is why originally we just had all tourney sets matter. Only slight change due to matchup ratios (since they can't be controlled as in who u face in tourney, but do not apply to MMs since you willingly accept it).
Xzax can't play to his full potential without Meta Knight, what if he were to go to a NJ tournament and place like 5/100, I believe that should completely destroy the other results.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
Xzax can't play to his full potential without Meta Knight, what if he were to go to a NJ tournament and place like 5/100, I believe that should completely destroy the other results.
(I updated my post)
and besides that, you failed to reply to like anything I said.

The only thing I got out of that was that his results shouldn't count at all 100%, which I flat out disagree with if everyone else's is going to matter.
If this is the case then it should apply to whoever doesn't go their main and there's going to be shenanigans everywhere. The last tourney I was at I really wanted to go all MK, and was very confident that I would win, but I didn't just in case I somehow didn't perform up to par and went ROB instead because I didn't want a bad mark on my rankings profile. So according to you, if I win some tourneys with ROB then go all MK one tourney and don't do THAT great, it shouldn't count at all right?

I hope your joking, Olimar is FAR cheaper then Meta Knight, Meta Knight has an actual learning curve unlike Olimar for the most part.
I disagree with this, it's 100% opinion. Yes, I find Olimar "cheap," but I also enjoy being able to kill and gimp the said character in 2 hits, and even being able to call it out as soon as I see the opportunity arise lol. I find ridiculous priority in 4 special moves that can all help him recover even more annoying.

Vex Kasrani

Smash Master
(I updated my post)
and besides that, you failed to reply to like anything I said.
And you constantly fail to create new points and instead just repeat what you say.

The only thing I got out of that was that his results shouldn't count at all 100%, which I flat out disagree with if everyone else's is going to matter.
If this is the case then it should apply to whoever doesn't go their main and there's going to be shenanigans everywhere. The last tourney I was at I really wanted to go all MK, and was very confident that I would win, but I didn't just in case I somehow didn't perform up to par and went ROB instead because I didn't want a bad mark on my rankings profile. So according to you, if I win some tourneys with ROB then go all MK one tourney and don't do THAT great, it shouldn't count at all right?
If your just trying the character out for fun, then sure.

Also Jband agrees with me and Umbra, so thats 3/4th's majority, so I want a revote. You are not a god of the panel.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
And you're not even on the panel! *zing*

And I said in my last big post that I'll be open to re discussing it, but debating the outcome of every possible situation is a necessity, including (but not limited to) the questions I posed in the big post.

Vex Kasrani

Smash Master
And you're not even on the panel! *zing*

And I said in my last big post that I'll be open to re discussing it, but debating the outcome of every possible situation is a necessity, including (but not limitedto) the questions I posed in the big post.
Yes I am, get over it. After asking you, you were like as long as you promise not to be an idiot basically, and I said fine, then as soon as I started discussing this your like, your not on it blahblahblah.

jbandrew

Smash Lord
I think the panel should re-discuss this issue.

I for one do not think it should affect rankings because it would be unfair to MK mains. Sorry Chibz lol.

I just dont think its fair that MK mains have to suffer giving up their char and then if they enter and play some 2nd their ranking gets affected by it, even if say, their MK is far superior than their 2ndary.

Inui

Banned via Warnings
Chibo, your leadership is quite horrible these days. Everything seems to be collapsing around you. You should probably do something about that.

_umbra_

Smash Champion
Why should vex be out of the panel? just because he left ToS?

IMO we should keep him, because he's one of the best and most knowledgable players in the state. It would be dumb to do rankings without him, regardless of tigress, etc.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
I agree in that sense but he originally left/kicked off/whatever happened

Because he flat out told me he didn't care about being on the panel one bit, and during the meeting we had he pretty much just said yes or w/e to everything not caring of the outcome just to get things over with.

He now says he all of a sudden wants to be back on it because he doesn't agree with this and he decided that he now cares, and regardless of whether or not we do rediscuss this, it seems like a selfish reason to want to be apart of it again. Plus, we didn't even decide of all of the new panelist members yet. We we're thinking about Cam but never decided on anything, and I know .com's been buggin me to be part of the panel since Vex left lol.

Either way, take ranking panel discussion from here to the PA thread. Keep the biweekly discussion in here. I'll continue it with my next reply there.

Vex Kasrani

Smash Master
He now says he all of a sudden wants to be back on it because he doesn't agree with this and he decided that he now cares, and regardless of whether or not we do rediscuss this, it seems like a selfish reason to want to be apart of it again.
1. I asked to join before bringing this up, but right after wanting to rejoin I saw this.

2. Even if what you said was true, how is this selfish, HOW DOES THIS BENEFIT ME?

And yah reply to this in the other thread and continue there please.

Xzax Kasrani

Smash Master

Sorry I don't rely on tech skill to make me win, and I play smart. Your not a smart player, Scar. I don't rely on MK to win, I mained him for awhile, and everyone that is above average knows how to fight MK and I deal with that and still win. If MK was that broken, the community would ban him as a whole, but he wasn't so get out of brawl things since you have no clue what your talking about.

jbandrew

Smash Lord
Yesh, I should be at some of these tournies since they are only 1 hour and some change away :) Time to rep Luigi baby!... and maybe some others lol.

Clai

Smash Lord
Where men are born and champions are raised

Everything would be so much better if Falcon was high-tier in Brawl. Then everyone would be too pumped up with manliness to worry about an annoying character like Metaknight. We'd all be having fun with the game instead of having to make up these silly rules like scrubs. As for your last statement, who cares about ROB and Olimar mains? ;)

I caught wind of the IC's chaingrab rule you put in. Doesn't ROB own the Ice Climbers or something? I don't understand the reasoning behind this one, what harm could be done by letting people have their IC infinites, since it practically makes the IC metagame.

Steel

Where's my Jameson?
BRoomer
wait yea wtf

I didn't even notice the IC stuff, why is that banned >_> It should only be banned for stalling purposes IMO.

_Yes!_

Smash Hero
Everything would be so much better if Falcon was high-tier in Brawl. Then everyone would be too pumped up with manliness to worry about an annoying character like Metaknight. We'd all be having fun with the game instead of having to make up these silly rules like scrubs. As for your last statement, who cares about ROB and Olimar mains? ;)
You're definitely clueless of falcon's capabilities :)

10doubleposts

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
What the.

I'm kind of curious as to why ICs CGs are banned too. x.x

Not that we really have any good ICs anyway, but still....

_Yes!_

Smash Hero
just curious though, how would you go about enforcing the infinite ban? i could say that i'm being infinite'd once i get grabbed and that'd be kinda gay for the ic's lol

The Phazon Assassin

Smash Champion
Why, so you can come to these tournies and NOT do what you practiced?

I hate the Ice Climbers, so I can't say I'm mad at his decision.

Steel

Where's my Jameson?
BRoomer
There's no reason to. They have to work so hard to get grabs, and like Clai said it's 95% of their metagame.

Top Bottom