• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

DSO Biweeklies @ Drexel (Philadelphia, PA) Back in Business

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
melee will probably be the 2nd biweekly
1st one is brawl

(technically 9th and 10th biweeklies. i think we did 8 last season?)

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
if i try to have fun and enter w/o metaknight and i do awful will it count for rankings
yes, it was decided by rankings that all singles tourneys you enter count regardless of different rules (specifically such as mk ban). if you arent confident (not saying you arent), then dont enter. enter doubles (since thats barely effectant on rankings) and mm some OOAers with MK.

_umbra_

Smash Champion
obviously, I was completely against that decision LOL

hmmm... maybe I could get some psu people to head out to one of these...

Xzax Kasrani

Smash Master
Yeah but you making a decision completely based on your views and not asking anyone else in our area for there input makes it stupid for MK mains who wanna still use there 2nds in tournaments but don't want to be effected since its only a secondary. My confidence level is decent but I don't want my skill in a state rankings to be harmed by taking a risk and using someone who I wouldn't normally use.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
Yeah but you making a decision completely based on your views and not asking anyone else in our area for there input makes it stupid for MK mains who wanna still use there 2nds in tournaments but don't want to be effected since its only a secondary. My confidence level is decent but I don't want my skill in a state rankings to be harmed by taking a risk and using someone who I wouldn't normally use.
There's more tourneys than these biweeklies lol. If you don't want your state rank effected by not using MK then don't enter and MM some OOA people instead which hold some weight.

Vex Kasrani

Smash Master
IDK, if like he enters and gets a really bad placing, but afterwards goes to another tournament in say, NJ, and places top 5, I don't think the MK banned tournament should hold much weight at all.

:083:

Xzax Kasrani

Smash Master
Yeah but are you the one forced to use a 2ndary in a tournament that you want to enter but be effect by it? No. If you have these tournaments with MK banned, then the decision for MK banned tournaments counting against people should be revoted on.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
-_-

Besides the fact that this is still months away...

It was already voted on. You're forced to not use MK, but you're not forced to enter the tournament. If the MK player is allowed to just throw away their results by not using MK, then I should be able to enter tourneys as not ROB and not count it if I do bad.

I don't really feel like debating it though :/
This is still months away, it was already voted on by the panel, this won't effect this seasons rankings, the rankings after next are like 5 months away.

Vex Kasrani

Smash Master
-_-

Besides the fact that this is still months away...

It was already voted on. You're forced to not use MK, but you're not forced to enter the tournament. If the MK player is allowed to just throw away their results by not using MK, then I should be able to enter tourneys as not ROB and not count it if I do bad.

I don't really feel like debating it though :/
This is still months away, it was already voted on by the panel, this won't effect this seasons rankings, the rankings after next are like 5 months away.
But your allowed to use ROB, obviousily going to a tournament using not your main shouldn't hinder you as badly, whereas if you go to a tournament with your main and you get *****, you should be ***** on the ranking's. It really isnt fair to the MK mains, I don't think you realize this. Obviousily it could hold some weight, but I don't think it should hold ALOT if the player places DRASTICALLY better somewhere else, that you cannot argue, for obviousily they are a skilled player if they do this with there main.

Xzax Kasrani

Smash Master
Exactly what Vex said. Right now I could get dead last with Wolf or someone at a 20 man PA tournament but top 8 at a 70 man regional NJ tournament with MK. It shouldn't take much at all away from me

EDIT: Also you can use ROB, im not allowed to use MK. Therefore if you don't use ROB at a tournament its your own fault. Im just trying to enter singles after you banned my character. I don't see why we are discussing this. Just side with me for ONCE and realize your wrong.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
u act like im the only one banning mk

why would u even waste $10 in entering a 20 person tourney to get last with wolf especially considering how often u complain about not having money for tourneys lol.

if u know ur gonna get last, dont risk your reputation. just dont enter. you dont have to enter every tourney ur at lol. just enter doubles and MM some OOAers with MK or something.

Xzax Kasrani

Smash Master
Im not saying im getting last, personally me, no. But MK mains could be in this situation. I enter tournaments for fun, dude. If I feel like enter a tournament without MK since its impossible for me to at these tournaments, then why should I suffer from this tournament if I don't outperform people I would with MK? See you don't understand where me nor Vex are coming from do you?

dmbrandon

Smash Master
Two things:

1. A tournament is only eligible for powerrankings if it follows a strict set of rules.

2. You're a ***, you're gonna lose anyway.

Pakman

WWMD
BRoomer
Your rankings are pretty much represented by your main, assuming you aren't cactuar and **** around with other characters in serious matches (I play Yoshi in tourny sometimes)

If you are forced to not play your main in any game, then your tournament placing isn't a good representation of where you stand next to your peers.

Chibo, didn't you have strict rules against people entering tournaments under a different name? If they entered under a pseudonym could they not have these things counted against them.

You have an activity requirement for the rankings, I think it would be fair to allow them to show up and support your tournament, but not count this for their personal rankings or their activity requirements (which would be easy if they use my pseudonym idea).

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
The pseudonym thing wasn't really a "strict" rule normally, it really just was for the ANMC for stat tracking since I had to keep track of points and if people entered as a different name every tourney (*cough* Vanz *cough* lol) then it was like impossible for me to keep track of everything. Beyond that though I personally normally don't let people just because it looks like their falsifying results by saying it wasn't them who placed bad (people have changed their name in the bracket before in just trying to hide their placement) and stuff like that.

Normally it's one thing for like once in a blue moon for you to go Yoshi or something in Melee, but the whole MK ban debate is sort of big in Brawl, and there's going to be a ton of tournaments where he's not allowed which really makes things confusing. The whole point of using it with the activity argument though is a good point, I have to think of it related to that point. Though the whole point of a activity requirement is so we have enough tournaments to accurately rank a player. If Xzax attends one MK ban event and one regular (for example since the bare minimum for the summer season is 2 most likely as it's short and PA hasn't had too many tourneys), then we still aren't able to accurately rank him.

The problem mainly started when last season Xzax did nothing but go secondaries for like a month and a half or so in multiple tournaments which really messed a lot of things up, so we had to think of a way to deal with that, then the we realized the MK problem as well :/

Pakman

WWMD
BRoomer
At this point and time, Metaknight is not officially banned. Since your rules are different then the SBR and the rest of the state, you at least owe it to the Metaknight mains to give them the choice to opt out of their performance counting against their rankings at a Metaknight banned tournament.

Otherwise suffer the consequences of probable lower attendance.

GOTM

Smash Champion
At this point and time, Metaknight is not officially banned. Since your rules are different then the SBR and the rest of the state, you at least owe it to the Metaknight mains to give them the choice to opt out of their performance counting against their rankings at a Metaknight banned tournament.

Otherwise suffer the consequences of probable lower attendance.
That's kind of true. All arguments aside, that is the most legit reason.

Mew2King

King of the Mews
Cinnaminson (southwest NJ 5 min drive from Philly)
chibo MK isn't even that great you're just biased cuz MK ***** rob. Back room voted by a mass majority that MK shouldn't be banned, as well as that MANY people still vote to ban him for SELFISH reasons just because it benefits them, and some (like Fiction) don't think MK should be banned but vote to ban him anyway since it benefits him. He is obviously not a problem, and you will have greater attendance by NJ people most likely if you don't ban him.. Even not counting attendance, you're still being unfair to the MK mains. What if Rob was banned? And don't say it's cuz Rob isn't nearly as good as MK cuz I know that, but all fighting games have a best character and MK is the best in this one but not even by that much at all.

Banning him is ********, you have like 1 MK main in your area and that's xzax, and most of the non-MK mains around there don't even think he should be banned anyway. Banning him at your biweeklies serves no good purpose at all.

Chibo you say that Xzax does worse cuz he didn't have MK, well why don't you enter tourneys without using Rob. If someone uses one character the entire time for HUNDREDS AND HUNDREDS OF HOURS, ESPECIALLY When it's the best character in the game, HE'S OBVIOUSLY GOING TO HAVE BETTER RESULTS. He's not NEARLY broken enough to warrant a ban though.

Xzax Kasrani

Smash Master
See like heres the thing. I can beat players like TUSM, Chibo, .com, Smurf, and others will MK and not being worried to face them at all. But then if I don't use MK and use a character I practiced with for a month, I probably won't be able to beat them, and plus I will be worried to fight them. It just doesn't make sense that if you only ban MK, and everyone else says it shouldn't count, and vex says oh well lets re-count, and you say no.

Xzax Kasrani

Smash Master
Jason, Vex tried to tell Chibo to let the PA Panelist for Rankings to re-vote on if these type of tournaments should count, but he is refusing. I also like your idea, but Chibo is doing this for himself, based off his views. I asked him a week ago if the top 5 or 10 players in Philly could vote, and he said no.

Xzax Kasrani

Smash Master
Brawl

METAKNIGHT IS BANNED

• Stage striking for first match. Before a players counterpick on match 2 and/or 3, the opposing team picks one stage to ban (neutral or cp).
  • Standing infinites are banned
  • Any Ice Climber infinite chaingrabs that theoretically have no end and nullify your opponents input are banned. This includes (but is not limited to) their pass-back cg, or hobbling (as I think it's called, the one with the ice block). Their down throw CG is legal.
  • Clairification:
    • Footstool - Ice Block CG - Banned
    • Alternating throw with Popo and Nana going forward - Legal
    • Backthrowing CG or turning around during a alternating throw CG - Banned
    • Dair - Ice Block CG - Legal (can be teched)
  • GOTM's Rule (double modified): DDD's small step and infinite chaingrab is banned, except for on Sadaharu Inui
  • Chibo's Color Blind Rule: If there is a character on a team that is confusing with their team color (such as how a Red Team Sonic looks like he's on the Blue Team) any player may request for the team colors to be reassigned so the distinction is clearer. This rule is void if Chibo's Texture Pack is being used.
  • 8 Minute Timer will be used in matches
  • The game must be loaded from the disc channel, anyone who loads the game from Ocarina in the Homebrew Channel will be disqualified. You may load a SD card pre-approved by myself (I'll just use my own) to enable things such as the saving of matches of over 3 minutes long which will most likely be used in important matches like the finals.
  • Other various standard rules
I have evidence Chibos rules are completely biased and based on what he wants. One he doesn't ban planking since he uses it in tournaments. Two Meta Knight is banned after the community as a whole kept him legal, and will not let anyone else in our area have a say in this. Three if he keeps MK banned and MK mains enter the tournament he wants it to count towards rankings to help himself.

Pakman

WWMD
BRoomer
I have evidence Chibos rules are completely biased and based on what he wants. One he doesn't ban planking since he uses it in tournaments. Two Meta Knight is banned after the community as a whole kept him legal, and will not let anyone else in our area have a say in this. Three if he keeps MK banned and MK mains enter the tournament he wants it to count towards rankings to help himself.
It is Chibo's tourny, of course his rules are going to be what he wants. Chibo can do whatever he wants. He could put items on if he wanted to. I don't have a problem with the rules of the tourny. I have a problem with using a ruleset that is not standard and having the results count as if it were a standard tournament.

Not to sound too harsh, but if you don't like the rules, then don't go. The only way to seriously discourage people from having offbeat rules is to boycott the tournament. Otherwise, when you give him your money for the tournament you are agreeing to play by these rules as well as supporting them.

GOTM

Smash Champion
It is Chibo's tourny, of course his rules are going to be what he wants. Chibo can do whatever he wants. He could put items on if he wanted to. I don't have a problem with the rules of the tourny. I have a problem with using a ruleset that is not standard and having the results count as if it were a standard tournament.

Not to sound too harsh, but if you don't like the rules, then don't go. The only way to seriously discourage people from having offbeat rules is to boycott the tournament. Otherwise, when you give him your money for the tournament you are agreeing to play by these rules as well as supporting them.
This is exactly right. Stop arguing about his rule set for this tourney. How it affects your rankings makes sense to argue, but the MK ban is his rule, and that's that.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
I really appreciate Pakman's input in this. Why can't more people be smart like him lol. He's not trying to change the rules or ***** about them, and instead is offering insight to their application towards rankings.

Back in the Spring when I held a MK banned tourney it was a rare thing, and yes we would have thrown a bone to any MK main that entered it. The only reason Xzax didn't enter that one was because he was short on cash. This also ties in somewhat with what dm said, that if a tourney doesn't follow the official rules, it shouldn't count towards rankings (to an extent).

However, MK is neither banned nor not-banned by the SBR, because neither side had the 2/3 vote to reach the point. If anti-ban had gotten 2/3 vote, then I would not be banning him now. However, it's up to the TOs now to ban him or not. The primary TO in Texas is banning him at every event now, I believe he's banned in Canada now (the eastern, good half lol), and some areas have been trying some MK banned tournies as well like norcal. There are also a lot of other states that will be testing out MK banned tournies, but I'm not going to name anywhere yet since it's not formally announced.

The panel recently had a discussion to completely lay out how rankings would be conducted for the following seasons. I specifically brought up the MK debate since I knew I would be banning him at biweeklies, which is many people's source of activity and results. I was kind of split on the issue overall, but the decision made by everyone together was that, MK banned or not, if you enter a singles tourney, your performance is as shown - to prevent people from not caring and going secondaries, to prevent stupid johns (so many people have tried to pull that something doesn't count cause they were playing bad, etc), and more.

It's one thing if it's one MK banned tourney here and there rarely, it's another in this situation when he's banned most likely at all DSO Brawl Biweeklies here on out, which is Philly's main source for tourneys.

Pakman

WWMD
BRoomer
I was under the impression that the MK rules were "innocent until proven guilty" ie playable until banned.

Your tournament may be Philly's main source for brawl, but PA as a state is a lot bigger than Philly. Assuming the MK debate stays in limbo over the course of the ranking period, xzax deserves his ability as a MK main to be ranked against Scranton and Pittsburgh's players.

However, if the rankings panel decided that is how it would be I guess that is how it is going to be. I still don't agree with it and I think it might hurt your tournaments' attendance, but I could be wrong.

In my opinion, the SBR banning MK is a pretty bad idea. As of now, most people don't have qualms about going to tournaments that allow MK. I think that if MK gets banned there will be a lot of people who won't go to MK-banned tournaments. It would segregate the brawl community.

Anyway, thats how I view this issue. If the panel decided it that is how it is going to be, but I still don't think it is fair to rank xzax from MK banned tournaments.

Top Bottom