• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"Dragonic Reverse" -- Yoshi Can Wavedash!

bigman40

Smash Master
Wow, alot of people seem to love using L as shield. You're using the same controller I am, but I left everything on Default except for:

L = attack
ZR = shield
R = Grab

If you can get used to sliding your thumb from X to Y (if you put X back to jump), then all you need to do is figure out which button will work to as the attack button (to cancel the jump). You could try R as attack.

Nogzor'z

Smash Journeyman
Bigman, you have my support (however meaningful it may be).

I would, very much, like to see how fast yoshi can possibly get.
*thumb'z up*

Yikarur

Smash Master
I only want to change "R = Attack" because the others are too eh...(Searching English Word for <_>)
I was jumping on R for a long time and I felt very comfortable with .__.
It will be hard to break the habit for this .__.

So ETS with Jump + B (A + Y would it be for me)? o__o nja I try

bigman40

Smash Master
So anyone who cares to still look at this, this method I found was very successful. Y B C-stick. You place B as jump, and X as specials. So, if anyone willing to try it, go ahead. I've tried it my first time and got about 60% accuracy on my first try.

Alpaca

Smash Rookie
I'm having trouble with the Dragonic Reverse I keep trying to slide ,but I always use a side dash attack can anyone help. Sorry if someone already posted this.

Metatitan

Smash Master
While the question wasn't directed at my i use xxa on the gc controller (although ive heard other setups are easier but w/e)

.Marik

is a social misfit
What is this I'm hearing about Yoshi mainers not caring for Dragonic Reverse?

Why would you not care for a move like that?

It's basically wavedashing. O_o

Yikarur

Smash Master
because its hard to perform xP the most are surrendering because they don't get it on the first trys o:

Chaco

Never Logs In
What is this I'm hearing about Yoshi mainers not caring for Dragonic Reverse?

Why would you not care for a move like that?

It's basically wavedashing. O_o
Okay here's the deal. A lot of Yoshi's do not use it due to never learning to perform it consistently. Sure they can do it. But it's not to fun to do a rising bair in a match because you screwed a DR. So instead of using a mega awesome move, which gets you instant "sex points" they don't use it.

DRing isn't that hard to learn actually. Main thing is to not slow down the game to like 1/4 etc. Cause then your not learning the required speed to pull it off. Especially since you need to learn to move your fingers in succession to the buttons in order and in a very miniscule time frame. OR you can take advantage of prioritizing the buttons. (Which I've not talked about yet I don't think) when you tap a DR, tap has priority over L, which I use to do the DJ, so you can hit them at the same time, and they input one after another. making it a looooaaaad easier to get the buttons out in the required time. Then as you press the L button, and letting it come back up, smash the cstick to perform the cancel. Then just either continu on with that for a DT, or just do the reg. DR. And while typing this I thought of a cool extension to Dr that I must ask Scat about.

Elefterios

Smash Journeyman
DRing isn't that hard to learn actually. Main thing is to not slow down the game to like 1/4 etc. Cause then your not learning the required speed to pull it off. Especially since you need to learn to move your fingers in succession to the buttons in order and in a very miniscule time frame. OR you can take advantage of prioritizing the buttons. (Which I've not talked about yet I don't think) when you tap a DR, tap has priority over L, which I use to do the DJ, so you can hit them at the same time, and they input one after another. making it a looooaaaad easier to get the buttons out in the required time. Then as you press the L button, and letting it come back up, smash the cstick to perform the cancel. Then just either continu on with that for a DT, or just do the reg. DR. And while typing this I thought of a cool extension to Dr that I must ask Scat about.
what do you mean by tap? is tap just pressing the default jump button?

ChronoPenguin

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4253-4494-4458
Aww man this is absurd.
I still cant DR Real time T_T.
Perhaps im just incapable.
XXA >.> Is now my downfall.

Guess my final attempt will be RXA or something >.>

Airborne

Smash Lord
actually, green ace doesn't even find DR as relatively useful in his opinion.... idk why, i like it.... and i almost got consistent with it a couple months ago.... now my yoshi's gone down the drain b/c i have to learn how to play rob for some stupid *** new years resolution on AiB.... >.<

Chaco

Never Logs In
Oh. Yeah I used to do that until I found that tap jump off was the way to go when playing yoshi. Throwing eggs in the air> DRing, no questions asked.
Well, actually you can still throw eggs in the air, and then DJ. Holding the Up on the analog stick while in the air. Small sacrifice to be able to DR with ease.

I use tap jump, and I can do both. Yay, me. :laugh:
I can too. But I prefer tapping. Especially for DT.

actually, green ace doesn't even find DR as relatively useful in his opinion.... idk why, i like it.... and i almost got consistent with it a couple months ago.... now my yoshi's gone down the drain b/c i have to learn how to play rob for some stupid *** new years resolution on AiB.... >.<
Lol, don't worry about that stupid thing. Just learn the tech people. Green Ace probably doesn't like it cause he can't do it. The one's who say it isn't useful suck kahunas at it.

Aww man this is absurd.
I still cant DR Real time T_T.
Perhaps im just incapable.
XXA >.> Is now my downfall.

Guess my final attempt will be RXA or something >.>
Well, here's what you need to do. Set your controller to the following.

L=Jump
x=Shield
Tap On (At first)

Learn to DR using L and Tap, then move onto learning the other methods it's what I did and makes the others hella easy.

lucky <_<
its hard as hell to dr
I will murder the next person who says that because it is not hard to do.

VSC.D-Torr

Smash Hero
:(

I love DR, but I also don't find it as useful. When I was learning the AT and tried to implement it into my game, it made me focus on DR instead of the match.

It's a great technique, but I guess some prefer not to use it. With that said, I still hope to fully master the technique.

Chaco

Never Logs In

I love DR, but I also don't find it as useful. When I was learning the AT and tried to implement it into my game, it made me focus on DR instead of the match.
you only do that at first, that's when you're still unsure about it, and can't get it 100% of the time. Scatty and I went through the same thing, I know for a fact that he did during the Yoshi tourney in the summer.

Airborne

Smash Lord

It's a great technique, but I guess some prefer not to use it. With that said, I still hope to fully master the technique.
well in order to be able to use it properly, use it in friendlies as much as possible in order to find the proper times to implement the DR into your metagame. it's like trying to put ETS into your gameplay. =P

Chaco

Never Logs In
well in order to be able to use it properly, use it in friendlies as much as possible in order to find the proper times to implement the DR into your metagame. it's like trying to put ETS into your gameplay. =P

I wouldn't compare it like that, lol, ETS is a lot easier to implement than DR. DR can be used in many different ways:

As an approach
As a retreating attack, depending if they are CGable or not I'd go for the pivot grab
Using it as a mindgame, something I've never seen, a DR Fake to charging it

Alpaca

Smash Rookie
Is there a video that can show how fast you need to use your fingers( for the DR) , because I am stuck on 1/2 speed.

Chaco

Never Logs In
Is there a video that can show how fast you need to use your fingers( for the DR) , because I am stuck on 1/2 speed.
No, there is not as of yet. And iunno if there will ever be.

Alpaca

Smash Rookie
Just sort of a random question. Im also having a little trouble with sliding,I can do it ,but I seem to screw up often and not move anywhere.

Is there a certain time for you to tilt , during the jump animation?

Chaco

Never Logs In
Just sort of a random question. Im also having a little trouble with sliding,I can do it ,but I seem to screw up often and not move anywhere.

Is there a certain time for you to tilt , during the jump animation?
I don't understand completely what you mean here, but you mean when sliding and turning correct? you just want to do it instantly after the cancel.

but what's happenening when you mess up? Rising Bair, Fair?

Airborne

Smash Lord
well, sharky and i are going to eventually start making a series of yoshi "how to" vids, and i plan on making a DR/DT one, so i believe i can try to make a video on how to do it.... i'll have to explore the yya and tap jump options to figure out how to do them so i can show those as well.

Chaco

Never Logs In
GL on DT, I couldn't get anything but tap on it. I know Scat can, not sure about Sub.

Elefterios

Smash Journeyman
Well, actually you can still throw eggs in the air, and then DJ. Holding the Up on the analog stick while in the air. Small sacrifice to be able to DR with ease.
I tried throwing eggs with tap on and found quite a few problems.

First, you either don't have total control of your eggs or cannot DI properly when throwing them. say I just knocked out my opponent to the far side of the stage and i want to run and egg him. with tap off id be able to do it with ease. I would run, jump, throw and egg by tilting my control stick diagonally and upwards, keeping the same forward momentum of my jump and having enough control of my eggs to hit him. with tap on, you'd run forward and as soon as you'd jump, you'd stop your forward momentum in the air trying to tilt your control stick up but not too much so that you would not lose your 2nd jump. This would completely stop you in the air.....but hey, you're throwing an egg.

2nd. If you are using your control stick for jumping and throwing an egg, how the hell do you short hop egg? you would need flick your control stick, and tilt it again for your egg....again completely destroying any aerial momentum and making it extremely hard to pull of.

3rd. tell me you can throw an egg completely upwards (by tilting back) and not lose your double jump.....its almost impossible.

4th. less suicides, more egg control. (=P just added that for the heck of it)

Master Roshi

Smash Cadet

I can too. But I prefer tapping. Especially for DT.

Lol, don't worry about that stupid thing. Just learn the tech people. Green Ace probably doesn't like it cause he can't do it. The one's who say it isn't useful suck kahunas at it.

Well, here's what you need to do. Set your controller to the following.

L=Jump
x=Shield
Tap On (At first)

Learn to DR using L and Tap, then move onto learning the other methods it's what I did and makes the others hella easy.

I will murder the next person who says that because it is not hard to do.
you'd better go grab ur knife XD
nah DRing is alright, but i like sidestep smashing better, less work put into it and on the downside less sliding :ohwell:

Chaco

Never Logs In
you'd better go grab ur knife XD
nah DRing is alright, but i like sidestep smashing better, less work put into it and on the downside less sliding :ohwell:
Also completely readable, no mindgame with it, and very punishable.

Master Roshi

Smash Cadet
ahhh i wouldnt say that, if the oppenent is coming towards u through the air (happens millions of times to me) i just sidestep out of the way and then smash. Being readable is one thing, but it actually helping u in situations like that is another. So far its helped me alot and dring is just to hard to pull of for myself and for many other people on here. So until we can learn to DR properly the sidestep smash is a VERY good replacement (by the way i can DR swallow, just not any other DR properly XD)

Elefterios

Smash Journeyman
ahhh i wouldnt say that, if the oppenent is coming towards u through the air (happens millions of times to me) i just sidestep out of the way and then smash. Being readable is one thing, but it actually helping u in situations like that is another. So far its helped me alot and dring is just to hard to pull of for myself and for many other people on here. So until we can learn to DR properly the sidestep smash is a VERY good replacement (by the way i can DR swallow, just not any other DR properly XD)
ur playing with noobs then.

I have to say that DRing is overrated. If you are just Dring in place you might as well walk. You can smash jab tilts...whatever out of it. Now DT is different, I admit it can serve as "mindgames" but nothing more. The thing with Dt is that you have to commit to it. if you plan on Dting and smash, that's what you will do. It doesnt leave a big enough window to look at what your opponent is doing and punishing accordingly. I personally rather run short hop. in a short hop i can air dodge an opponents attack, i can di away or towards him, i can fast fall back to the ground, i can attack him with any aerials. I feel really safe when I sh, i cannot say the same about DT.

Obviously If i could pull it off 100% of the time id use it, just to change it up. But even then, I wouldnt abuse it, DTing is a win/lose situation. you can get punished as much as you can punish. And for a really hard tech to pull.. id rather practice something else.

Top Bottom