• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dragonball: Evolution Trailer (More like Suckolution Failure)

CodeBlack

Smash Ace
CodeBlack, you're completely missing Aesirs points.

I'm just going to take one thing you said to show you what I mean.

"hell, Goku being in high school defies the premise of Dragonball entirely"

You're saying that since Goku was a child in dragonball and this Goku is older it should not be called Dragonaball. Yet, in DBZ Goku was a adult so this film should not be called DBZ either correct? Do you see how ridiculous that is? Who cares how old he is?

You can't fit 100's of hours of animation into a single film. It's not realistic to expect a exact re-telling of the same stories that you are already familiar with. Nor is it necessary. As long as they keep the core elements of the DB universe it's ok.

Not age, setting.

Goku travelling around the world, exploring, meeting people and going on adventures is a huge part of DB's setting. Him going to a high school and defending a town from evil is less of a Dragonball movie and more like a teen hero movie with a Dragonball twist.

Ok, for that last paragraph. I really hate repeating myself, but for the third time. Every film made take some liberties. Every single one. Everyone knows that. The difference between a good adaptation and a bad adaptation is how much they mess with the premise itself.

Aesir

Smash Master
Goku travelling around the world, exploring, meeting people and going on adventures is a huge part of DB's setting. Him going to a high school and defending a town from evil is less of a Dragonball movie and more like a teen hero movie with a Dragonball twist.
And you know he won't be doing this how? Because from the sound of it he's going to be going on an adventure to find the dragonballs in the movie.

I think the whole high school setting is meant to speed up the story a bit. Goku is strong so they have him in high school to emulate that. Goku likes chi chi, chi chi likes Goku what better way to show this then in a high school setting? Goku is different from everyone else, again what better way to emulate this then in a high school setting?

Esoteric

Smash Apprentice
You will do it in your sleep. You'll wake up to find cash missing from your wallet.
I rarely carry cash on me, mostly just debit. I'm going to lock my debit card in a safe and make up a random combination so this incident can't occur.

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
I rarely carry cash on me, mostly just debit. I'm going to lock my debit card in a safe and make up a random combination so this incident can't occur.
Make sure someone else knows the combination and not you. Otherwise, you'll just open that safe yourself too.

shadenexus18

Smash Master
NNID
ForteEXE1986
And you know he won't be doing this how? Because from the sound of it he's going to be going on an adventure to find the dragonballs in the movie.

I think the whole high school setting is meant to speed up the story a bit. Goku is strong so they have him in high school to emulate that. Goku likes chi chi, chi chi likes Goku what better way to show this then in a high school setting? Goku is different from everyone else, again what better way to emulate this then in a high school setting?
If they wanted to do a whole "high school esque" setting, don't you think that they should of fast forwarded to Dragonball Z to when the time Gohan went to high school? I mean, c'mon. The setting of this movie is garbage, and so is the person playing as Goku. He didn't even show any kiddy enthusiasm when Goku clearly lets his inner child come out and play. That is NOT Goku, it's a horrible cosplayer....

Goku is simple minded, and he did not go to even kindergarden. Nevertheless, he's pretty sharp when it comes to combat situations.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
If they wanted to do a whole "high school esque" setting, don't you think that they should of fast forwarded to Dragonball Z to when the time Gohan went to high school? I mean, c'mon. The setting of this movie is garbage, and so is the person playing as Goku. He didn't even show any kiddy enthusiasm when Goku clearly lets his inner child come out and play. That is NOT Goku, it's a horrible cosplayer....

Goku is simple minded, and he did not go to even kindergarden. Nevertheless, he's pretty sharp when it comes to combat situations.
Wow, that's a good point.

I think mostly it's because they wanted to use Piccolo as the main villain.

I dunno, who was the villain of that arc again? Was that Majin Buu?

This movie was filmed in Mexico xD

So its really that bad?
Well, Predator was also shot in Mexico...It was awesome.

Geist

Smash Master
I am simply AMAZED no one has screamed out a joke relating to inert balls and over 9000 yet. (directly)
I am seriously weirding out here. I thought I knew the internet. Everything I have ever known is wrong.
Oh god.....

This is either a sign of how disapointed people are or something big is going down.

On a lighter note, I would personally love to see a live action pokemon movie. But without ash.
And well done.

Puddin

Smash Lord
I am simply AMAZED no one has screamed out a joke relating to inert balls and over 9000 yet. (directly)
I am seriously weirding out here. I thought I knew the internet. Everything I have ever known is wrong.
Oh god.....
No, those are both just unfunny, overused memes. "Inert Balls" isn't even a very popular one, "Over 9000" was used beyond the breaking point the day after it was discovered.

Slithe

Smash Apprentice
Hey, this reminds me of something. Did anyone see the trailer they had for a live action Zelda movie? It was posted back on April 1st, so I thought it was a joke, but it looked serious to me.

Skrah

Smash Ace
Hey, this reminds me of something. Did anyone see the trailer they had for a live action Zelda movie? It was posted back on April 1st, so I thought it was a joke, but it looked serious to me.
It was a joke, made by IGN for April's Fool day.

And a pokemon movie? How the hell would they do the pokemon?

Vorguen

Smash Champion
My reactions (in order):
:confused:
:eek:
:grin:
:chuckle:
:laugh:
:rotfl:
:cry:
:ohwell:

My thoughts (in order):
EPIC
FAIL

Hahahahaha, that made me laugh.

No, those are both just unfunny, overused memes. "Inert Balls" isn't even a very popular one, "Over 9000" was used beyond the breaking point the day after it was discovered.
To be honest, over 9000 is funny situational. But it's such an overused joke. Inert balls is still a little funny, but I find my personal favorite DBZ joke to be "I hope my body can take it!" and just making fun of the ridiculous English DBZ intro song.. (Dragon dragon... What the dragon? Bought? Caught? :( )

DBZ is only epic in Japanese... and it's actually pretty good in Spanish too.

Subs / spanish dubs > English dubs FTW!

oh and.

This movie stinks.

shadenexus18

Smash Master
NNID
ForteEXE1986
Wow, that's a good point.

I think mostly it's because they wanted to use Piccolo as the main villain.

I dunno, who was the villain of that arc again? Was that Majin Buu?
Yup!! The villains were Babidi, Majin Buu (fat), Super Buu, and Kid Buu.

This is exactly why Funimation, the organization that made the Dragonball series along with the brilliant Akira Toriyama, should have had some say so as far as the making of this movie is concerned.

CodeBlack

Smash Ace
Just watch, when the movie comes out it's going to turn out that all the info they gave us were absolute lies, because, lets face it, it's funny to screw around with people.

Anyway, I'm definitely placing this one in the "so bad it's hilarious" category until I see it when it come out on television.

E.G.G.M.A.N.

Smash Journeyman
It was a joke, made by IGN for April's Fool day.

And a pokemon movie? How the hell would they do the pokemon?
They would CGI a bunch of animals that kind of look like Pokemon if you squint really hard.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Well, they are planning to make a Cowboy Bebop movie...

Starring Keanu Reaves as Spike...

MBreeto

Smash Ace
I just saw a preview for 17 again with Zach Efferon. I'm going to put my eyeballs on a stove or something. As for Dragonball, there is no reason to pay to see this movie. No reason. The movie is banking of people saying "well, it's dragonball, so im gonna see it" and " dude, i have to see how bad it is". Don't fall into the trap. Dont make this terrible movie break profit. For the love of god, please dont.

shadenexus18

Smash Master
NNID
ForteEXE1986
And now my dreams have been crushed.

I can already imagine Keanu Reaves delivering the line "Bang!" in his monotonic form of "acting."
HA HA HA!!! Yeah! It'll be hard for "Neo" to capture "Spike's" persona/character/mannerisms the way Spike's voice actor Steven Jay Blum did. <-----(voice of Tom off of Toonami, Mugen 'Samurai Shamploo', Orochimaru 'Naruto,')

Anywho, I honestly think I would not go see this movie if it didn't have that sight for sore eyes Emmy Rossum (Bulma). Wow...she's drop dead gorgeous like...Megan Fox drop dead beauteous! *licks lips*

Man...I saw MTV interview her and...yeah. She's all that and a bag of Pringles.

Aesir

Smash Master

Yeah makes sense.

/sarcasm

You're basically saying they should have skipped 90% of the series just so the high school theme would fit in?

Top Bottom