• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dragonball: Evolution Trailer (More like Suckolution Failure)

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Yeah makes sense.

/sarcasm

You're basically saying they should have skipped 90% of the series just so the high school theme would fit in?
Wouldn't that have been better than what they did? Making a movie that has nothing to do with the story in the first place?

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Also they got rid of the cat thing, Oolong, Krillen, Emperor Pilaf (Yet kept Mai), the dog thing, and replaced Piccolo's henchmen with Mai. Also, Mai can somehow shapeshift now...?

Aesir

Smash Master
Wouldn't that have been better than what they did? Making a movie that has nothing to do with the story in the first place?
The movie is loosely based off the Piccolo arc. Which happens to be good movie material in of it's self. However if we took your suggestion it would make a lot of people confused because when gohans in high school the story is already established and winding down.

I think you're taking the high school thing at face value rather then just a plot device.

and lol @ aesthetic criticisms

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
The movie is loosely based off the Piccolo arc. Which happens to be good movie material in of it's self. However if we took your suggestion it would make a lot of people confused because when gohans in high school the story is already established and winding down.

I think you're taking the high school thing at face value rather then just a plot device.

and lol @ aesthetic criticisms
It wasn't my suggestion.

And putting it in the Piccolo arc still skips most of Dragonball (Not Z) anyway

Vorguen

Smash Champion
It doesn't matter that they are skipping a big portion of the Dragonball storyline. They can summarize it in the first 20 minutes and make the piccolo fight the last hour 15 minutes. It would be pointless showing Goku running through all the pointless Red Ribon armies and fighting Tao Pai Pai.. etc. It's fine that they cut straight to the Piccolo saga, it's all the owning of the actual saga that killed it for me.

IMO it should have started with Goku's arrival and upbringing by grandpa Gohan, then his training with Roshi, all summarized in 20-40 minutes of the movie. Followed by introducing the Dragonballs the WAY they were supposed to be, and then his quest to find them and stop Piccolo. But whatever, I guess I'm just a "fan"

Vorguen

Smash Champion
Aesir. We will never agree. Until one of our dead bloody bodies lies under the other, we will never agree. Even then, if I happen to lose (which I wouldn't because I watch Arnold Schwarzanegger videos 12 times a day) I would come back and haunt you and still disagree with you.

this movie is:

Fail, FAil, FAiL, FaIl, FAIL, FaIL, fAiL, fAIL, faIL, fail fail afailF ailfa F, FAil FAil, AFil, fail fail, Fail , FAil.

Samochan

Smash Master
Seems more like devolution than evolution to me imo.

But - by the gods - why this has come to existence? Why? *starts to wail around*

I can imagine more than a few of the db fans are totaly pissed right about now and ready to march to the studio and spirit bomb those who are responsible of this.

shadenexus18

Smash Master
NNID
ForteEXE1986
Yeah makes sense.

/sarcasm

You're basically saying they should have skipped 90% of the series just so the high school theme would fit in?
Hmph! Well you didn't have to be an arse about. Ya wanna know what I think? No? Well I'm going to tell you anyway. I think you're in some serious denial if you actually believe in your heart of hearts that Dragonball: Evolution is going to be pure awesomeness.

Mark my words Hollywood. A real movie making company is going to do Akira Toriyama justice, and make a Dragonball Z movie 1,000,000 times better than the abomination that will be given to us in April. Mark my freakin words.

Anyways, I've got it! In a sense, that doesn't look like Piccolo. James Marsters kinda looks like Lord Slug. Well...sorta...

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Wow. This is terrible.

Goku's wrongwrongwrongwrongcompletelywrongwrongwrongwrong.

Stephen Chow directs it though. So I'll watch it.
Steven Chow is producing it, it's directed by James Wong

Steven Chow BTW was the director of Kung Fu Hustle (To person above)

ChRed2AKrisp

Smash Master
I'm going to watch this entirely because of how dumb it is. Like watching Alien Vs. Predator or something lol.

Eor

Banned via Warnings
BRoomer
This thread is hysterical. It's like the Lord of the Rings fans that got furious when they found out Boromir had blonde hair in the movie, or that Aragorn didn't get his sword when he was supposed to or that they cut out Tom Bombadil.

Except those movies were based off of a good source material

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
This thread is hysterical. It's like the Lord of the Rings fans that got furious when they found out Boromir had blonde hair in the movie, or that Aragorn didn't get his sword when he was supposed to or that they cut out Tom Bombadil.

This movie isn't even loosely based off Dragonball though. They basically just threw in the characters names and some side junk to a generic action flick and called it Dragonball.

Vorguen

Smash Champion

My biggest one was the leaving out of Gandalf vs Saruman after Gandalf becomes the white. Tom Bombadil was pretty fail too. lol

D

Deleted member

Our criticisms are much better than that. They left out a main character (Krillin) and changed the protagonists entire personality. I think that's worse than hair color. Also, LOTR was GOOD.

Vorguen

Smash Champion
LOTR was amazing. In fact, the movies did a lot of justice to the books. Even though the books were better, there were some parts of the movies that actually were BETTER than the books. Helms Deep? I much prefer the movie part. Yeah I know they exaggerated the fight from the book but it was so epic.

But yeah I guess since this is a discussion about how they messed up the "hair" lets not even mention how ridiculously "un-goku" goku's hair is in the movie.

This movie to me was a random action movie with superpowers tossed in with a few popular names and the Dragonball title to give it recognition.

Zodac

Smash Journeyman
i lol'ed when the actor for chi chi in the interview said the directors take on dragonball "sent shivers done my spine"

FastFox

Faster than most vehicles
BRoomer
i lol'ed when the actor for chi chi in the interview said the directors take on dragonball "sent shivers done my spine"
Probably because she was petrified that it would be a piece of **** that nobody would want to watch.

Anyways, the truth is, no matter how much we bash this movie into the ground, saying how ****ty it is, we're all probably going to go see it, and that's the only thing that matters in the movie industry. They aren't going to listen to our opinions, they just want a cut of the money you pay for your ticket. That's what determines a movie's success. So unless you decide to just not go and see Dragonball, you're helping promote it, even if you go to the movie thinking, "Oh man this is going to suck ***".

Eor

Banned via Warnings
BRoomer
Our criticisms are much better than that. They left out a main character (Krillin) and changed the protagonists entire personality. I think that's worse than hair color. Also, LOTR was GOOD.
Some criticisms are perfectly fine, like what you said. I was more referring to the "HE'S TOO OLD" "HIS HAIR ISN'Y SPIKEY" "THEY LOOK AMERICAN" rants. I think this movie will probably be bad, even worst if you actually like the source material, but people are throwing all their emphasis on stupid things to yell at it for.

And yeah I liked Lotr. I was saying Dragonball was bad.

Skrlx

Smash Champion
wtf where's roshi.. you know the perverted-ish clumsy guy..
that guy DOES NOT FIT roshi at all.

i'm surprised i didn't see tom cruise or angelina jolie in this

Aesir

Smash Master
piccolos energy culminating into a spirit bomb?
yo wtf.
Thanks to dubs we have things called spirit bombs and spirit balls and **** that aren't actually gokus spirit bomb.

Apparently the move is like his scatter shot?

edit apparently they're slating for a sequal and **** as well, where goku dies in the beginning lol.

edit2:

Toriyamas comments:
As the original creator, I had a feeling of “Huh?” upon seeing the screenplay and the character designs, but the director, all the actors, the staff, and the rest are nothing but “ultra” high-caliber people. Maybe the right way for me and all the fans to appreciate it is as a New Dragonball of a different dimension. Perhaps, this might become a great masterpiece of power! Hey, I look forward to it!!

edit3: (sorry guys!)
The folks over at DBmovie made this list of similarities and differences. Lulz

MBreeto

Smash Ace
edit apparently they're slating for a sequal and **** as well, where goku dies in the beginning lol.
Really? It'll be like Mortal Kombat Armageddon where johnny cage dies lol. Except Mortal Kombat was good...

Also, that is one of the funniest sigs i've ever seen lol

Skrah

Smash Ace
The similarities where mostly a "must". If not, they should've just called it by another name entirely. The differences are really drastic compared to the similarities.

Aesir

Smash Master
The spirit bomb was actually called the "Genki Dama" (I am not sure of the spelling completely)
Yeah but the DB dubs usually put spirit in a lot of things LOL. I don't think there's any cause for concern at least until I see piccolo raise his hands up and say that little chant I won't be worried.

Really? It'll be like Mortal Kombat Armageddon where johnny cage dies lol. Except Mortal Kombat was good...

Also, that is one of the funniest sigs i've ever seen lol
No.. mortal kombat is the worst piece of trash ever.

Also Goku dying is canon.

Aesir

Smash Master
The similarities where mostly a "must". If not, they should've just called it by another name entirely. The differences are really drastic compared to the similarities.
The only big one is goku in high school.

After that it's all semantics.

I agree with toriyama it's best to just accept it as an alternate universe then as something canon.

edit: My browser makes mcfoxes feel bad about it's self.

Top Bottom