• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dragonball: Evolution Trailer (More like Suckolution Failure)

Bowser_Gangsta

Smash Lord
You guys obviously need to read between the lines. This movie portrays the conflicts of U.S.S.R. and the Assassins of Azeroth. This mindbending thriller will leave you off your seats for days. Goku is actually Adolf Hitler and Piccolo is the ******* that inspired Dracula. Jeez, people these days.

Rain(ame)

Smash Champion
I dunno...what the heck was up with him shooting some kind of energy blast? O.o It's still kinda not making any sense to me. Also...if THIS many characters are supposed to be in this movie why is he only doing the Kamehameha once? I understand it's one of those odd....OVAs. Kind of like Curse of the Blood Rubies. Still....it could stand to have some kind of explanation.

CodeBlack

Smash Ace
Yeah because a kid with super powers is completely logical.
I think he is talking about all the unnecessary changes.

You know, like the kind of crap Uwe Boll does, weird alterations that have no real reasoning behind them and make the movie suffer because of them.

Aesir

Smash Master
^ Lol.......

anyway taken from a reviewer:

PROS:
- The way the movie looks. It has the soft pastel look for brighter scenes and slightly gritty look for darker scenes. Some parts feel like an animation put to live action.
- The action. I feel its much better than the matrix movies. It doesn’t look and feel as choreagraphed. It flows somewhat naturally, for characters that are essentially super human.
- Ki attacks. They look really good in the movie. Some who don’t like that firery wind look will probably disagree with me, but i feel it worked well.
- School scenes are minimal. The scenes at the school don’t even add up to 10 min from what I remember, but I wasn’t checking my watch to make sure. Likewise for the party scene. It’s really short at well.
- Chatwin and Chow Yun Fat have a lot of comedic moments. I really enjoyed those parts.
- They setup a sequel. Make sure to stay past the credits.

Middle of the road:
- The dialogue is what you expect from a movie based on DB. It’s cheesy. DB was never shakespeare, so people shouldn’t expect anything spectacular. It works in the anime, but I’m unsure it was pulled off well in the movie.
- The effects for the most part work, but there’s a lot of use of the slow motion and emphasizing blows. Though the Ki stuff looks decent, CG models and piccolos green skin didn’t fair well.

CONS:
- The movie is short. I almost have a feeling that stuff was intentionally cut out so they could release a director’s cut down the line. The movie moves at an insanely brisk pace, which was a bit of a detriment to the ending.
- Its a PG movie. Take that as you will.
- The acting in some parts. Its like Wong went with the first take on a line delivery to get the movie done.
- Shenlong doesn’t talk and he’s really small.

So far it's getting mixed reviews.

Icy_Eagle

Smash Journeyman
I'm currently watching the movie on youtube and god it's bad so far. Justin Chatwin has been pretty awful so far, with a flat voice and corny one-liners.

E.G.G.M.A.N.

Smash Journeyman
I'm currently watching the movie on youtube and god it's bad so far. Justin Chatwin has been pretty awful so far, with a flat voice and corny one-liners.
What about the fight scenes? Is there anything salvageable in this movie?

Warrior of Zarona

変身
BRoomer
Thoughts on this movie. There WILL be spoilers, as it pertains to comparison of the original material to its adaption. However, I'm making this post more to those who don't want to see the movie but are curious about the changes. You've been warned.

I just want to start with Goku for now, as he is the protagonist of the show, and henceforth, has the most noticeable changes.

Goku -

18 year old "Caucasian" teenager living with his 70 year old "Asian" grandfather, Gohan. (Except they pronounced it Go-hand without the "d") Goes to school and rides a bike. Is in love with Chichi.

Most people I've spoken to react in the same way. "...Goku is white." Yes, apparently, Saiyans are white according to Hollywood. Then again, could we really tell if he was Asian in the original anyway?

Goku is still somewhat simpleminded, but not as childish as his original Dragonball counterpart. There were subtle hints contributing to his original persona, such as his playful way of fighting with the bullies or eating a big piece of chicken leg. Of course, I'm surprised Goku left his grandfather and a ton of food for a party he was invited to by the girl of his dreams. For the record, I don't think Goku was actually in love with Chichi initially and only said he'd marry her because he thought marriage was a type of food. Yes, our original Goku was an idiot, but he was an idiot we loved. In the movie, the story ends up as a love story between the two.

Goku wears his Gi eventually, the one worn by his grandfather, Gohan. The top was similar, but the pants he wore looked really baggy and quite clumsy.

Goku does transform into an Oozaru (and yes, they do call it that, though the pronunciation is also a bit incorrect) though the conditions for it have changed. First, it only happens during the eclipse of a blood moon. Goku also lacks a tail, a necessity for transforming in the first place. Lastly, Piccolo mentions that the Oozaru was a being that was meant to serve him? I'm so confused. The Oozaru also isn't so much a Giant Ape than it is a very tall and large one that just reaches Shaq's height.

Goku also uses the Kamehameha, which is taught to him by Master Roshi. It's listed as the final air-bending technique Goku can use, though it doesn't go much farther in explaining what it really is. The way it's performed is also awkward to look at.

What's interesting to note is that one of Piccolo's lackeys, one who wasn't named, called him "Son Goku" on one occasion. I thought this was interesting.

***More to Come***

Spire

III
BRoomer
Piccolo's lackey was Mai, but yes, was never named. Also, I'd love to point out that this is based off of King Piccolo Saga, and the following are a number of things incredibly wrong with it:

- Goku is not a kid with a tail
- Krillin isn't in the movie (ultimate wtf)
- Tien and Chiatzu aren't in it
- King Piccolo does not summon Shenron (who is named Shenlong, his Japanese name)
- Grandpa Gohan does not die by Goku, but rather by Piccolo
- King Piccolo actually becomes the Piccolo (Piccolo Jr.) as seen after the credits
- Oozaru is an actual character rather than a species

And there are about a billion others inaccuracies with this movie. Not only that, but if you went into it knowing nothing about Dragonball, you wouldn't be able to follow the story at all (kind of rhymed). Man, that was horrible.

Eor

Banned via Warnings
BRoomer
I heard it's not even animated. WTF dragonball isn't live action worst movie ever

Warrior of Zarona

変身
BRoomer
There was something after the credits? I got up and left the moment it started

Vegeta's not in the movie. Where did you come up with that idea?

It's based off the King Piccolo Saga, except instead of the slew of characters, we only have the original few who first started traveling together to find the dragonballs.

Minor detail, but yes, no animal people that Toriyama is known for. This also means no Oolong or Puar.

Yamcha doesn't have his initial nervous breakdown around girls and is a straight flirt from the beginning.

Piccolo also knew about Goku's alien origin. Hell, Goku knew about the Nameks and believed them to be an evil race of aliens. Originally, we didn't even know about this until the Saiyan Saga.

Spire

III
BRoomer
No Zarona, I too left immediately after it was over. Only did I read on the infranet about the scene after the credits.

They might as well have turned Goku Super Saiyan at the end of the movie with his fight against Piccolo. It was already an ultimate canon-buster.

highandmightyjoe

Smash Ace
I don't think its fair for people to say that this film is bad, and then just list ways that it differs from the show. Please, give the movie a chance to be terrible on it's own, I promise you won't be disappointed.

DTP

L o s t - in reality~
lolololol

I thought this was just a good ol regular anime movie, you know, like the shows.

Took me like 3 weeks to figure out it wasn't....

I'm stupid xD

Oh and the movie looks pretty bad.......

trueganon

Smash Journeyman
Heres what I thought of it, funniest thing I have ever seen in my life. If you like Dragonball, you should see this movie and either be insulted if you have an unhealthy obsession, or if your normal then you'll laugh as hard as I did. About the time they hit the first supernatual fight, the guys must have gone up to the movie makers and reminded them that they already used the entire budget. That is the very point where it stops being the Dragonball: Evolution movie and becomes the Dragonball: Evolution; The Clipshow. Also that scene after the credits was by far the greatest thing I have ever seen in my life. It literally cannot be described in words to do it any justice. You must sit there and watch it. I almost died, it was that good. I literally could not breathe after seeing it.

To everyone who hasn't seen it, You just gotta. If you're all "No way man. I am Dragon Ball. That's dumb" Shut up and see it. Easily the greatest experience you will ever have in your entire life.

M@v

Subarashii!
After someone I know got the movie in a way that really shouldn't be talked about, we all decided to watch it on a projector.

It wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be(check earlier in the thread.)

...it was worse. We all had a good laugh at how terrible it was. And I think there were about 15 different objects thrown at the projector screen throughout the movie.

The ONE thing that got right was that Master Roshi is a perv.

smashbot226

Smash Master
I passed by my marketplace the other day, with an entire FLOOD of people at the theater's frontal ticket taker, yelling at them:

"THIS IS UNACCEPTABLE!"

"YOU EXPECT US TO TAKE THIS?!?"

And the like.

So, I ask somebody, "WTF?"

And they reply, "We bought tickets to see Dragonball Evolution. Now we want our refunds after seeing that goddawful movie!"

I lol'd. I stayed around to watch too. Cops came, asked theater to politely give back the money so the cops could get back togiving people undeserved speeding tickets eating donuts.

Everyone got 70% back of what they paid for.

I saw my friend walking out of the theater a little while later and asked, "What did you see?"

"Dragonball. I'll tell you the truth- that movie was so bad, it gave me an orgasm. Twice."

Then I lol'd.

Hiyayayah!

Smash Cadet
This makes me sad, they have managed to ruin my favourite Anime :laugh:

It's like every possible thing they could have done to completely screw up DB - they've managed to do in one movie...

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
You know what's funny? I have yet to see this movie yet, from the sound of a lot of people in this thread it's not a good movie if your a fan of the Dragon Ball series. I'll find someway to watch it, someway.

Hiyayayah!

Smash Cadet
I've not seen it either - but the trailer was enough to put me off completely, not that I had much hope of it being good in the first place.

hat!

Smash Apprentice
Oh my, I hope that's true.
I saw the first movie and it wasn't completely the worst movie ever.
It was actually funny to watch how bad it was, but I liked it.

Top Bottom