• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Doc General Discussion: Ask and ye shall receive ft. otg and Shroomed!

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
Doesn't YS's cloud have a pattern?
Yes. It's completely time based. It's like, out on :09's, in on 04's, comes out on one side on even numbers (:00, 20, etc), other side on odds (:10, 30, etc)

But what you're not thinking about are the flyguys.
I thought there was a pattern. I don't remember who told me that but that's what I heard.
For the few times I've actually tried to find a pattern, I never found one. Im not saying it doesnt exist, maybe Im just not realizing something.

P.C. Jona

Smash Master
well during the first minute or so

they guy in the back with the sign is in sync with the cloud

so when hes going to the right the cloud is coming to the right

but then it de-syncs after a while

InterimOfZeal

Smash Champion
U MAD!?!?!?!
D:< D:< D:<

YOUR DOC IS STUPID ANYWAY! I HATE YOU!

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!

Lol wut. What a john. XD

Fun fact for people who havent thought about it, there are only 5 non-random stages in melee.

Battlefield, Final D, RAINBOW CRUISE, MUTECITY, POKEFLOATS.

Every other legal stage has some random element to it.
And of those 5, only 3 are truly non-random.

Don't the cars get stuck on each other and do different patterns sometimes?

And with Floats, you can randomly fall through parts.

If we're arguing semantics, anyway.

But yeah, **** whispy.

Shroomed

Smash Master
dont you not grab the edge sometimes on battlefield?

thats random too
that only happens if you hold into the stage

on yoshi's story, the cloud comes out whenever the timer has a 4 for the seconds

(06:54, 06:44, etc.)

sometimes i hate this game, even when i love it so much

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
there is absolutely nothing random about Jungle Japes and Kongo Jungle.
but yeah flyguys are the random part of YS... it doesn't usually make a difference though. i've only seen the hitlag make much of a difference in the middle of a combo allowing for some weird DIing out of combos O:

pockyD

Smash Legend
Wait, so you believe that faling through pokemon on Rainbow Cruise happens for a reason? Please share, I had no idea :)
yes, i'm pretty sure it has to do with your character coming at seel (or whoever) at a certain angle/speed

i'm more intrigued by what else you think it COULD be... do you think the game takes a random number 1-100, and if it's under 10, it makes your character fall through? that seems far less reasonable than it being deterministic

InterimOfZeal

Smash Champion
yes, i'm pretty sure it has to do with your character coming at seel (or whoever) at a certain angle/speed

i'm more intrigued by what else you think it COULD be... do you think the game takes a random number 1-100, and if it's under 10, it makes your character fall through? that seems far less reasonable than it being deterministic
I doubt much of this game uses RNGs, if any of it. It's random until people figure it out, just like falling through PS is. Yeah, we know it happens on seel/during the transformation phase, but beyond that...

With BF, just learn where the sweetspot is. I haven't been battlefielded in a LOOOOOOOOOOONG time.

pockyD

Smash Legend
i would be surprised if, say, pokemon stadium's transformations or dreamland's wispy woods were determined by anything other than an RNG

The Alpha Gundam

Smash Champion
Lol wut. What a john. XD

Fun fact for people who havent thought about it, there are only 5 non-random stages in melee.

Battlefield, Final D, RAINBOW CRUISE, MUTECITY, POKEFLOATS.

Every other legal stage has some random element to it.

Good jog Dogy on telling the doc players more useless info. I'm sure the meta game will evolve from this ya dumb darky XD

InterimOfZeal

Smash Champion
Same, pocky. I still don't believe the misfire is random, though. Jeris combos into that **** too often.

EDIT: PockyD, come to SuperCon!

Also, everyone else!

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
And of those 5, only 3 are truly non-random.

Don't the cars get stuck on each other and do different patterns sometimes?

And with Floats, you can randomly fall through parts.

If we're arguing semantics, anyway.

But yeah, **** whispy.
I've always wondered about the actual cars. I do know (or atleast I'm pretty sure) that they come at specific times.

As for falling through floats; that's not random, but the criteria for it is dumb as hell (it's the same thing as on corneria. You fall through the fin if Great Fox is going up and you're doing _____)

Wait, so you believe that faling through pokemon on Rainbow Cruise happens for a reason? Please share, I had no idea :)
*points up*
there is absolutely nothing random about Jungle Japes and Kongo Jungle.
but yeah flyguys are the random part of YS... it doesn't usually make a difference though. i've only seen the hitlag make much of a difference in the middle of a combo allowing for some weird DIing out of combos O:
Japes = Klaptrap. You dont know how bad I want that klaptrap to come out at set intervals. That stage would be so frickin hilarious if it did.

KJ64 = Barrel.
A
As for YS, imagine you're playing ness. At random times, you now have a seperate target to PK fire off of. Also, you randomly cant recover with PKT2.

Good jog Dogy on telling the doc players more useless info. I'm sure the meta game will evolve from this ya dumb darky XD
You're just mad because we're in here chillin, having a good time, and spittin knowledge about an 8 year old game while you blonde headed hoes are down there tryin to figure out how to approach something.

Why dont you drive over here and do something about it?!??!?!?!?!?!?!

otg

Smash Master
I usually U-throw > U-air > D-Smash on spacies or Capfal, other wise, just U/D-throw > Dunk.
Yeah this is typically my train of thought as well, although if they DI the uthrow in a certain way I always look for a regrab. Cause realistically, if you are going to CG spacies/falcon, uthrow-> CG to 55%-60% (depends on character) -> uthrow Uair (another 15%) -> regrab (plus jabs) is around uthrow -> fair KO %. And if not, I go for a dthrow CG cause honestly that **** is broke, no one looks for it and it actually makes fthrow viable.

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
*Looks at last post time* Good, I still can do it before I go to bed and say I didnt put this off.

___

I mean, there's the real standard *** ****

-throw
-f.smash

and then there's the somewhat advanced ****
-u.air -> "fail"

I just need to explore all the options that are available. I mean, there's no set list anywhere, so. I wanna see stuff such as

1) can you walk and f.smash a FFer (WD probably doesnt work because of timing).

2) could you possibly put heavyweights on the wheel of fortune (ganon/sheik/roy/dk/yoshi/pika/link/y.link)

And then just other **** in general about it.

Vulcan55

Smash Lord
I just learned that D-throw > F-smash works on Fox from at least 70%, so I expect to be ending a lot mor chain grabs with that.

EDIT: Wait, that means...

EDIT2: Holy ****, you can start a D-throw CG a lot earlier than I thought you could.

Wow. you can pretty much 0-death a fox on FD.

EDIT3: After real-person testing it appears that there is a small gap between where the U-throw CG ends and where the D-throw chain grab starts to work.

metashinryu

Smash Ace
how about uthrow-bair-doublejump uair-fsmash? just came to my mind,i havent tried it,i supose it will work if you hit em with the last part of uair

EDIT:doesnt work,bair sends em too far away.

eighteenspikes

Smash Master
1) can you walk and f.smash a FFer (WD probably doesnt work because of timing).
uthrow -> wd -> fsmash works and is guaranteed :dedede:

how about uthrow-bair-doublejump uair-fsmash? just came to my mind,i havent tried it,i supose it will work if you hit em with the last part of uair

EDIT:doesnt work,bair sends em too far away.
scratch the doublejump and make it a weak reverse bair. then it works :dedede:

otg

Smash Master
Aight, so let me discuss the Dthrow CG vs. spacies a bit, because it's incredibly useful for tacking on that extra damage, tricking your opponent, and yes if you can somehow pull it off a 0-death on FD against spacies they can't get out of (although you really have better options tbh).

So yeah, dthrow CG tend to work after 75%ish I've noticed, give or a take about 5%. You can do it much lower, like around 50% or so but it will only work if they don't DI and you regrab immediately, so it's not guaranteed but it's kinda funny to dribble the ball real quick before you Kobe feel me? lol.

IMO, it's semi-situational as you might be better off with a different option, but I find it to be really useful on platform stages where an uthrow would give them a chance to escape potentially (although with those Forward tricks you still **** em :) ) It's also really good on platforms in general because they have VERY limited options of a dthrow. So if they try to DI off the top platform to a lower one, or from the lower platform off stage or to the middle, you can follow them with a falling uair, or if you catch with a dsmash/dropzone fair (that one is particularly hilarious) it will probably KO them (seeing as how they had to be high% anyway for Dthrow CG to work).

Next, dthrow -> usmash is an amazing follow up from the dthrow CG at various %'s. Around the 70-85% range, the usmash will have enough hitstun to follow into a Fair. At higher %'s, like around 140 or so, it KO's. I have no idea what the exact % is, it could be lower or higher, but experiment... honestly at that % you are probably better off finishing them with a fthrow or bthrow.

And you are like "OMG WTF FTHROW... WTF", and you know what, you would be right 9/10. Fthrow is great in the dthrow CG because a good amount of the time they will not expect it, and when they don't DI it at high %'s that is a SUPER easy edgeguard for you, and vs. someone like Falco, it could be enough to KO his ****ty recovery.

The only advice I can give on performing the CG, is always anticipate that they will DI behind you because that is the only difficult part of the CG. Just guess they will DI behind you, and if they don't follow up. If they DI infront of you, it's no problem because you should be able to follow up easy enough, and if they don't DI a fsmash/dsmash or regrab is inorder. Hell, you could probably WD/run in with a smash and have it connect, personally I've never tried
it.

That's all you need to know about this broken ****ing CG, enjoy. I will also be putting this in the OP incase anyone wants to reference it again.

EDIT: I also have to clarify that I am NOT proposing you do this inplace of Throw-> kobe at all. If you can get the KO by all means go for it. I also am not advocating doing this whenever you get the chance, if you feel you have a better option than by all means go for it. IMO dthrow CG is useful between 60-80%ish because it allows you a few free percents for the throw-> kobe range, and it's useful after 115%+ or so, when throw -> kobe is no longer guaranteed, and you aren't sure how to handle the situation.

Do what you will with this, but it's nice to have options.

Top Bottom