• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Doc General Discussion: Ask and ye shall receive ft. otg and Shroomed!

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
I think my playstyle is sorta random, although I know what to do. Then, I feel like I'm in chains, like trying to break out by doing what I know and trying to make less mistakes. Like, I play aggressively and its easy for me to walk into attacks. And I post with Topbit.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
I want to go, but I probaly won't. Lol I live in Florida. :[

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
I guarentee i make more bad posts than i do good, but people just dont see them.

>.>

Sumo there's a buncha FL people going, i know they alreayd got their tickets and whatnot. Me going depends on if I have a job by then and can really justify it. Realistically, if I have the money for it then I cant, because it'd probably be easier to go to EVO (which is the same weekend.)

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
Ah, then I'd probaly go to Evo too. No Melee? Well I'd bring a setup for Melee Friendlies then. : D

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
I play more then melee. I've never been to EVO before, i've been to an MLG event (hell that was my first tourney).

I've gone to the 2nd biggest major 2 years in a row (Final Round), i've ALWAYS wanted to go to EVO. The only thing I'd rather go to instead of EVO would be like, SBO in japan.

I'm definitely not one of those melee-only people. I'd kill myself if that were the case. >.>

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
I sorta am. xD I'm ok in Brawl, but I can't play it competitively, or rather, I haven't tried competing for Brawl lol. (I use diddy)

Also, I'm no good at other fighting games besides melee, nor do I own them to practice them.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
Yeah I use Fox in Smash64. I still have it, and I know a broken Pikachu. :]

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
**** super hitstun bros.

******* game. XD

"OH **** HE ACCIDENTALLY SHIELDED! GIVE EM THE BUSINESS" -u.tilt u.tilt u.tilt- *CRACK!*

FiNiSh HiM! *0-death*

doublejoint

Smash Cadet

7) Yup. Great alternative to half-pressing l/r. I actually need to start z-cancelling. Im assuming if you're asking this you know WHY you want to do this. (For anybody who doesnt know, it's because if you fully press l/r and you get hit, you're still not allowed to press l/r for the next.. 20 frames or so? Meaning if you get hit and have to tech, well you just missed a tech. Half pressing l/r or pressing z overrides this rule.)
actually i didn't know that >_>
it's just a habit from a long time ago when i learned to l cancel dairs into jumping out of shines with falco because a friend of mine was beating me slightly at melee (before i knew anything about competitive melee and still played halo and wanted to be walshy LOL; found it from overswarm's tutorial, whose clan i was in then), so i just held down and mashed z a lot *cough*

but recently i got into grabbing backwards out of aerials which i find easier if you l cancel with z, but its annoying because if you press z the second time just 1 frame early it buffers into a light shield instead

speaking of which, you can't shield grab out of a z->lightshield; GAY!

I wd backwards
i meant running and turning around and ledgehogging for when you hit them the wrong way at high percents and it's a race

Yup. I once came back from a match by gimping someone, up-bing the opposite direction of the ledge, and then the mario caped me right in the middle of it, flipping me and giving the distance of two up-bs combined.
oh god when i first picked up doc i'd jump right in fox's face to limit his ability to avoid the cape, and my friend caught me with that three times in one match Y_Y; YOU MUST RECOVER

i have some more questions (not trying to advance the metagame, just my own :p)

Desh

Smash Ace
wd oos is so much easier with one button.
if you half press the sheild, you can wd out with fully pressing it, and no, just because you half press , it doesnt mean you're going to light sheild x] .

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
see, that's the problem.

As much as I hate brawl, there's fun in it. Cause it's a unique kind of "dumb **** that works."

Snake is ****ing comical, Zelda is hilarious because she actually works in that game, **** Link is the human spambulance, and i actually figured out a desync with ics (i know they have like, 20 in that game. I keep the brawl boards collapsed). There's funny **** in that game. I recently got done playing people while going down the melee tierlist. ****ING HIGH TIER IS DEPRESSING.

But what the **** is in s64? SUPER HITSTUN BROS. COMBOS! REAL COMBOS! Put *****s in the Kumate *kung fu sound fx* (blatent Boondocks jokes)

If I want to wreck somebody's **** by pressing buttons, then ... well that's what I play guilty gear for. ATLEAST IT'S SUPPOSED TO HAPPEN!

otg

Smash Master
Well, I love 64 because of the momentum shifts, you could be down 3 stocks and just beast someone completely. I also only play on console because A.) that's the real ****, and B.) my computer needs to get seriously updated if I want to handle that game probably. But regardless, once I update my computer you mofo's should get ***** by me. Mario is actually one of the better characters to, and his Usmash KO's like Fox's in Melee.

metashinryu

Smash Ace
man im thinking of going doc as my sub-main, my falcon is getting owned by space animals :(, besides hes a freaking beast XD and fits perfectly with my falcon-style playing:chuckle:

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
eh, i'd say it really depends on WHY you're losing to spanimals.

I mean, there are some things doc can actually do better in the matchup than capfal can. That being doc can keep them out better than capfal, escape tech chasing better, has easier guarenteed damage (chaingrabs), and an easier/safer edgeguard formula.

Capfal on the other hand is better at getting in on spanimals, has better tech chasing options, can flat out combo better, covers a larger range for edgeguard, and can actually outrun both of them (he can actally outrun anybody, that's one of his perks).

So, if you're looking to play doc instead of capfal vs spanimals, it better be for something like "I cant keep get away from pressure." or "I drop too many edgeguards." Because if you're looking to change because "I have a hard time following techs" or "I cant keep them off of me", then yeah, you're setting yourself up for failure. >.>

___

It's not so much that it's a "bad choice" as it is you really need a reason WHY you do it. That's the one thing I try to stress to everybody when it comes to getting good. (Hell, I stress that about getting good in ANY game)

You dont have to do what everybody does; you can do whatever in the f*ck you want to. You just better make **** sure you have a system to what you're doing and valid reasons for why you're doing it. Because if you just do s**t "just because", you're going to be stuck there for a long time.

metashinryu

Smash Ace
i actually want to play doc better because i cant do a good **** combo on em,i suck at tech chasing and my edgeguard isnt pretty good at em,plus i really liked doc and i can do craploads of damage on em faster than with falcon,i cant have a solid approach to em,i want to apply wavedash(doesnt serve that much with capn) and i dunno if to choose between mario or doc, but i prefer doc.

Kasumi

Smash Journeyman
Alright, I'll man up, risk sounding like an idiot, and start asking some questions here because my Doc sucks.

1. Rapidly pressing B for the down b recovery. How do you guys accomplish this? Straight practice doesn't seem to be working for me, as I can barely get him to break even on recovery consistently. I've tried sliding my finger across the button, mashing it normally, and twitching my wrist muscles so that the controller bumps into my hand repeatedly. (Gives the best results, also hurts the most). Feel free to answer keep practicing, but please also let me know your methods.

2. What's capedashing? I saw someone mention it in this topic, but I've only seen a real topic about it in a brawl board.

3. My chain grabbing is pretty terrible, and it's definitely that I need to practice more. Right now I'm standing still as they (Fox/Falco) go up after I throw them, and I dash in their direction for a jump cancelled grab when they start to fall. Good idea, bad idea?

All I got. Pretty much asking for anecdotal stuff. I'll ask technical questions and about specific matchups after my next tournament.

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
1) I twitch tap (the last thing you mentioned). I can twitch tap fine because, well, it's a general gaming skill. The way i see it, that's the best way to do it. If it hurts, practice. >.> You dont really have to tense your wrist as much as you just have ot have a fast shake.

2) Capedashing = SH Cape waveland. Brawl? Mighta been that A.C.E. bull**** I heard about a while ago when they first discovered it. Na, nothing like that.

3) It's ok for getting teh timing, and if you can react to DI it's fine. If not, put the cpu on lvl 1 or go to training and set it to evade and mess around for a while.

otg

Smash Master
Ptp practice? I'm a big advocate of Mario Party minigames and summons in FFVIII. A lot of minigames in Mario Party force you to button mash as fast as you can, so that might be good practice. Also, if you've ever played FFVIII, you're allowed to "boost" your summons, thus making them stronger. You do this by button mashing a certain button (can't remember which one) at set times, and will DEFINITELY improve your button mashing skills. It worked for me.... but granted I played that game almost 10 years ago and have only been improving since.

This is just what worked for me, good luck.

HollaAtchaBoy

Smash Master
Ptp practice? I'm a big advocate of Mario Party minigames and summons in FFVIII. A lot of minigames in Mario Party force you to button mash as fast as you can, so that might be good practice. Also, if you've ever played FFVIII, you're allowed to "boost" your summons, thus making them stronger. You do this by button mashing a certain button (can't remember which one) at set times, and will DEFINITELY improve your button mashing skills. It worked for me.... but granted I played that game almost 10 years ago and have only been improving since.

This is just what worked for me, good luck.
$20 MM me in Mario Party 4. Next NYU fest.

Yeah that's effing right I'm invading the Doc boards, OTJizzm.

otg

Smash Master
$20 MM me in Mario Party 4. Next NYU fest.

Yeah that's effing right I'm invading the Doc boards, OTJizzm.
I told you HAB, I only **** with Mario Party 5/6, 4 sucks balls. Also you got that wrong, it's otGIZBIZ son. I got nothing to do with Jizm. But yeah, when is the next NYU fest? I can't promise I can go cause of monetary restraints, but I could try.

Kasumi

Smash Journeyman
Mario Party brings back memories of a specific minigame I couldn't beat my friend in because I couldn't mash fast enough. This brings back haunting memories... I need to face my fears and learn to mash. Thanks for your help everyone.

otg

Smash Master
Listen honestly, while PTP can help your recovery what really matters is good DI. Doc can't recover for **** if he is hit horizontal to the stage or lower, even at low %. Learn to DI most things up so you have more time to fall and shoot pills to help protect you to the stage. Alot of the time PTP isn't 100% necessary and in certain matchups is just a bad idea in general. Focus on your DI and you'll survive a ton longer.

Kasumi

Smash Journeyman
My DI is pretty good, so I do get back from a lot of things. It'd just be nice to know I'd actually have the option of PTP if it came to that.

otg

Smash Master
Cape gives Doc alot of options though, especially to turn people around when they try to jump out to edgeguard you. Granted, certain moves won't make a difference (a few peoples nairs, ganon/c.fal uairs etc) it can still make a huge difference and keep you alive that much longer. Save it as a last resort, that way you don't lose any height incase you already used it. Also, correct me if I'm wrong, I think a DJ into PTP might give you more height than a normal PTP...

Top Bottom