• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Do NOT upgrade your Wii to 4.2 through Nintendo -- Safe Update!

illinialex24

Smash Hero
That doesn't make them a bad company. You can pirate games with Homebrew. Of course they don't want people to use it.
Yes it does. Have you heard about how poor their updates have been in the first place and their software is??

The ES Identify and Trucha signing bug were results that a first year programmer could have avoided from what I have heard, it takes an extreme lack of sense and laziness and idiocy to get the number of errors they had.

Eternal Yoshi

I've covered ban wars, you know
NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
It's a sin so many people have an ungrateful, elitist attitude toward Nintendo.

Just find a way to watch the video if you can.
Seen it. Some of the info is dated and no longer correct.

The price of both the PS3 and 360 is down, Sony and Mike confirmed that they will stick with their respective consoles for a very long time(I'm searching for the articles I read them from now) and will continue to upgrade their consoles via updates. They can also apply patches and what not.

Sony has Ratchet and Sackboy now, but I'm not sure about Mike.

But I can see where he is coming from.

One of the reason people are disappointed with Nintendo is that they don't put the new base and the old base on balanced terms like during the SNES era.

Also, Nintendo is barely upgrading the Wii. The only notable change about the System Menu from Janurary to now is the SD card channel. Also, Nintendo has only done 1 game patch for the Wii Sports Resort's Wii Motion Plus tutorial channel bug (Why not the Zelda issue that can halt progress and force you to start a new game?)

While Sony & Microsoft keep upgrading the console to include what people have been asking for, Nintendo's console has been stagnating. This is one of the sources of the outrage and disappointment.

I understand that they want to stop piracy and I don't quite blame them, but there are more important things they need to focus on at the moment.

Wow. It's way too easy to steer of topic on this thread.

XACE-K

Smash Master
I have a question.
Sorry if this ha been asked before.

What would have to do if I want to play a new Wii game yet retain Homebrew and whatnot. Because doesn't Nintendo make it so that when you insert a new game, you have to update your Wii first.

Alphatron

Smash Champion
So just launching the games with gecko OS allows you to skip the updates for future games.

Zyro71

Smash Rookie
WELL...As long as Nintendo doesn't force us to update, by means of what i say ...like when i want to go on wifi on a game and it will force us to upgrade, then were boned, or they make the wii with some new feature we all need (dvd playback would be nice) again then were boned, but as long as that doesnt happen were fine.

Also..someone stats that they Nintendo changed what they said from a manual update to it MIGHT automaticly update with WiiConnect24? O_O, until yesterday i had wiiconnect24 standby mode off but in this case i might shut it off entirely. But only if im certain it MIGHT update our wii's

bobson

Smash Lord
That doesn't make them a bad company. You can pirate games with Homebrew. Of course they don't want people to use it.
That's comparable to banning knives because they can be used to stab people. Homebrew adds tons and tons of perfectly legal versatility to the Wii; Nintendo failed to provide this utility themselves, and now they're actively trying to destroy the users' attempts to make it in lapse of Nintendo.

It's not even like the non-piracy homebrew is taking away from Nintendo's profits. Do you see them selling Wii movie players, music players, emulators, region-unlockers, OSes, memory card managers, servers, or any of the stuff that homebrew has allowed? They're purposely gimping the system.

Frown

poekmon
When I got Boom Blox Bash Party, the console told me to upgrade to 4.0. I thought, "Oh well, I don't use the HBC very often" and accepted. When I had installed the update, it was still 3.4 and I was able to run the game. What kind of update was that?

NeonTogepi

Smash Journeyman
I'm really considering selling my wii. The gamecube was a better system. Sure, it's features weren't as good as the PS2 or the Xbox, but it had the game library to actually compete with them.

The Wii neither has the features that people want, nor does it have a good game library. Here is a complete list of good games for the wii that are not avaible on other consoles.
SSBB.
SMG.
Twilight Princess.
Super Paper Mario.
ExciteTruck
Red Steel (okay, Halo's better in almost every way, but shooting people in a dinosaur outfit makes this game).
Mario Kart Wii.
Punch-Out!!
(I'd say Metroid games, but i dont play that series. There's only two metroid wii games i believe though).

Also, SSBB, SMG, Twilight Princess, and Mario Kart Wii are debatebly worse than thier prequels on the gamecube.

Nintendo puts more effort into marketting than thier gaming it seems. Wii Sports/Fit/Play/Sports Resort/Fit Plus are all extremely marketted, but thier just not fun (excluding sports, but that came with the system).

All I can say is **** you nintendo, **** your mother, **** your grandparents and your 6 year old children (the only ones who play the wii in your family), and **** the Wii.

So, anyone have a cheap PS3? :p

Isatis

If specified, this will repl[0x00000000]ce the
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
reverite
Probably an IOS update or something.

By the way, when more info comes from bushing/comex, I'll update here and at the first post. Hopefully change this thread into a 4.2 safe upgrade for anyone that wants it.

What's weird is they delete the "HAXX" ticket at the start of the System Menu, yet you can just change "HAXX" to "THBC" and bypass it...pretty dumb way to remove HBC.

n88

Smash Lord
@Neon Togepi

Actually, TP is a GC game ported to Wii. So it's available on GC.

SMG>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Sunshine

Anywho, I can't use my Wii right now, so this isn't really a problem at the moment. Definitely good to know.

NightSky

Smash Journeyman
That's just great I just recently checked my Wii version..my brother apparently updated it to 4.1U, Now most of my Homebrew apps don't work anymore >_<...
Good thing it wasn't 4.2...or some heads would fly >_>
Gah...

Alphatron

Smash Champion
My friend bought his PS3 for $299.

...And wait. People debate that Sunshine is better than Galaxy? Seriously?

Core wii title games also aren't heavily advertised.

Smash Journeyman
Something tells me somebody will eventually find away to get around 4.2. They said ipod software 3.0 was going to be unhackable but people already have jailbroken ipods including me.

leafgreen386

Dirty camper
So instead of specifically targetting pirates, nintendo continues to try to kill all forms of homebrew. The message they give is really rather humorous imo. "HEY IF YOU INSTALL STUFF NOT FROM US IT MIGHT NOT WORK EVEN IF IT'S BEEN DOING EXACTLY WHAT YOU WANTED IT TO, SO WE'RE GONNA REMOVE IT FOR YOU AND PREVENT YOU FROM EVEN TRYING TO PUT IT BACK ON, KAY?" It has absolutely nothing to do with the safety of the systems. They just want to stop pirates and screw over anyone else that happens to be in their way, even if they happen to be legit uses.

This link should be in the OP imo: http://wiibrew.org/wiki/System_Menu_4.2

Zyro71 said:
WELL...As long as Nintendo doesn't force us to update, by means of what i say ...like when i want to go on wifi on a game and it will force us to upgrade, then were boned, or they make the wii with some new feature we all need (dvd playback would be nice) again then were boned, but as long as that doesnt happen were fine.
DVDX. Look it up. There is nothing nintendo can provide at this point that cannot be done with homebrew. And if a game requires you to have a newer IOS, you can always install it with the wad manager. If for whatever reason nintendo releases something that you can't live without, just wait a bit for a safe version of the update from people like waninkoko that preserves the previous exploits. If you're still on a 3.x wii and want 4.0 firmware for whatever reason, you can still do it, but you'll have to do it manually (and look up how, yourself).

NeonTogepi

Smash Journeyman
My friend bought his PS3 for $299.

...And wait. People debate that Sunshine is better than Galaxy? Seriously?

Core wii title games also aren't heavily advertised.
A lot of people like sunshine better than galaxy. I do. Galaxy is overrated as hell.

illinialex24

Smash Hero
The funny part is they did more damage to regular Homebrew users than pirates. Someone who is a pirate who has IOS250 installed is in better shape than the rest of us who updated blindly (not me, I was careful and am back at 4.1 with bootmii as a boot2) can pirate games and the like. 1 line of coding....

Kirbunny431

Smash Journeyman
Halp?

Please disregard the fact that I'm a noob. Now if I update the Wii, what does it do? So far, my paranoid mind has come up with 3 possibilities:

1. Homebrew and related hacks are gone.
2. I lose saves and a game fails.
3. Brick.

What happens? I don't like Homebrew that much, but does it just relieve me of Homebrew? Or am I screwed? Please reply!!! :confused:

Isatis

If specified, this will repl[0x00000000]ce the
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
reverite
Please disregard the fact that I'm a noob. Now if I update the Wii, what does it do? So far, my paranoid mind has come up with 3 possibilities:

3. Brick.

What happens? I don't like Homebrew that much, but does it just relieve me of Homebrew? Or am I screwed? Please reply!!! :confused:
Only #1 applies

The funny part is they did more damage to regular Homebrew users than pirates. Someone who is a pirate who has IOS250 installed is in better shape than the rest of us who updated blindly (not me, I was careful and am back at 4.1 with bootmii as a boot2) can pirate games and the like. 1 line of coding....
This

This link should be in the OP imo:
They told me not to link to any sites that contain info about getting HBC :ohwell:

leafgreen386

Dirty camper

3. Brick.

#1 will definitely happen. I don't think #2 will happen. And #3 may be possible depending on what you have installed. Just do yourself a favor and don't update.

WheelOfFish

Smash Journeyman
Wii Menu version 4.2 is now available for your Wii console. To update your Wii Menu to the latest version, please select the Update button at the bottom of the screen or select the System Update option in the Wii System Settings.
This update provides behind-the-scenes fixes that will not affect features but will improve the overall system performance.
Because unauthorized modifications to save data or program files may impair game play or the Wii console, updating to Wii Menu version 4.2 will also check for and automatically remove such save data or program files.
**Please note: If you've updated your Wii Menu after 9/29/09, you may not need to update again.
Thank you for updating your Wii console!
Nintendo
... more like:

This update provides behind-the-scenes fixes that will not affect features but will limit the overall system performance, destroy legal Homebrew, and do nothing to stop the pirates who are back on System Menu 3.2 and know not to update.
But in all honesty, Nintendo can't stop hackers. They're only making their jobs harder.

Kody910

Smash Rookie
NNID
Kody910
3DS FC
3737-9547-5239
sooo..... lets say some "noob" updated, would there be anyway to get the Hombrew Channel back?

phantomphungus

Smash Journeyman
Dear god, where has nintendo gone?? I hope balanced brawl still works...

Nintendo used to be great, but ever since the release of the wii they've gone down hill so fast. They used to be an awesome company who loved the fans, now they are a whole bunch of money grubbing b*st*rds who will do anything to make a quick buck (catering to the short-attention spanned, impulsive elderly and really young; luring people in with promising at first, but low quality games offered at seemingly cheap prices that are still overpriced when compared to the actual game). Now, even Nintendo Power, the fanboyest of fanboy organizations, are starting to slowly accept the downfall.

Dear god, Other M better be good or I may...uh...do...stuff. Horrible stuff, mind you. Give me a while to think about it.

Eternal Yoshi

I've covered ban wars, you know
NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
Do you see them selling Wii movie players, music players, emulators, region-unlockers, OSes, memory card managers, servers, or any of the stuff that homebrew has allowed? They're purposely gimping the system.
They gimped the system before it even came out. Thanks to how the software architecture is laid out, they can't feasibly update much other than the system menu, and not much else. Once you load a game, there's nothing the menu can do, which is why the Smash Stack exploit still works and is not patchable.

The Smash Stack and Indinana pwns exploits were confirmed to be working yesterday.

I'm really considering selling my wii. The gamecube was a better system. Sure, it's features weren't as good as the PS2 or the Xbox, but it had the game library to actually compete with them.

The Wii neither has the features that people want, nor does it have a good game library. Here is a complete list of good games for the wii that are not avaible on other consoles.
SSBB.
SMG.
Twilight Princess.
Super Paper Mario.
ExciteTruck
Red Steel (okay, Halo's better in almost every way, but shooting people in a dinosaur outfit makes this game).
Mario Kart Wii.
Punch-Out!!
(I'd say Metroid games, but i dont play that series. There's only two metroid wii games i believe though).

Also, SSBB, SMG, Twilight Princess, and Mario Kart Wii are debatebly worse than thier prequels on the gamecube.

Nintendo puts more effort into marketting than thier gaming it seems. Wii Sports/Fit/Play/Sports Resort/Fit Plus are all extremely marketted, but thier just not fun (excluding sports, but that came with the system).

All I can say is **** you nintendo, **** your mother, **** your grandparents and your 6 year old children (the only ones who play the wii in your family), and **** the Wii.

So, anyone have a cheap PS3? :p
*Gasp* I'm in the exact same boat as you.
The only difference is that I have to get a new PS3 on account of my older brother moving out and taking his PS3 with him.

Until then, I'll just use my Wii for AR, Melee and Super Monkey Ball 2.

Alphatron

Smash Champion
A lot of people like sunshine better than galaxy. I do. Galaxy is overrated as hell.
To each their own, I guess. While galaxy lacked that free exploration and seemed to love kicking you in the right direction, I thought it was awesome.

Zolga Owns

Smash Lord
Backing up my Wii nand as we speak.
Triple checking that Wiiconnect 24 is off.
I'm sooo scared that my Wii will ninja me and somehow update itself ;_;

I'm just being paranoid here but theres no way they could somehow update my Wii is i play Brawl online? Right?!....;_;

illinialex24

Smash Hero
Backing up my Wii nand as we speak.
Triple checking that Wiiconnect 24 is off.
I'm sooo scared that my Wii will ninja me and somehow update itself ;_;

I'm just being paranoid here but theres no way they could somehow update my Wii is i play Brawl online? Right?!....;_;
If you update to 4.2 manually and use preloader .30 you could make sure it doesn't update. Contact me for details. It can keep Homebrew and the rest. You could have a Homebrew 4.2 with just about that. Pirate ability but no system menu patches.

Top Bottom